Page 640 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 14054059063063863964064164265069074011401640 ... LastLast
Results 12,781 to 12,800 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Could have sworn I'd passed some AMB beers your way. Guess not. Good brewery, may be making a vist along with Lost Province soon.
    Nope. Just searched some archives on another site (easily done) and found no AMB beverages that I had tasted/reviewed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...anked.html?p=2

Ymmm, saisons. Spoiler alert- Burial #1.
    Beers in the top 20 that I've tasted: 3

Yet more proof that I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Beers in the top 20 that I've tasted: 3

Yet more proof that I need to get out more.
    I'm surprised that Ommegang Hennepin and Dupont Saison were not higher.

I've not looked at the full list of 116. I thought I had tried a wide variety of saisons (a style that really pulled me deeper into craft beer and a favorite style) until I read the list.

I'm surprised that Ommegang Hennepin and Dupont Saison were not higher.

I've not looked at the full list of 116. I thought I had tried a wide variety of saisons (a style that really pulled me deeper into craft beer and a favorite style) until I read the list.
    Agreed on the Ommegang and Dupont. I thought I started out in great shape finding those 2 in the top 20 but it went downhill from there as I found only 1 more that I had sampled in the remainder of the list.

Wise Man Brewing Thousands Chords Grisette

Partook last night while watching the NBA Draft. I don't think I have ever had a Grisette before. This was a really nice, sessionable beer checking in at 5.0% ABV. It had a bright but cloudy yellow color, with a fairly thick white head. The flavors seemed almost like a mix between a saison and a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Delicious on a summer night.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Saison Du Bois (draft)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Drink local!

I got mighty thirsty after hiking almost 10 miles at Raven Rock State Park today, even after 2.5 bottles of water and half a bottle of Gatorade and LBC was conveniently located 1/2 block off our route home, so...

Pint pour was straw in color with a small head which lingered a bit. Nose of hay and lemongrass with some apples, pears, straw and a dry finish. IBUs were 30 and the ABV was 6% so a nice thirst quencher. Serving suggestions would be lightly-spiced grilled chicken or shrimp scampi.

Rufescent (draft sample)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Just released at noon today on draft (d'oh) and 500 ml bottles. Couldn't resist .

Pour was a bit cloudy and looked like Rubaeus with a small head. Sour, vinegary-y nose with Sour Patch cherry candy and cherry cider vinegar, acidic and woody tastes. It's a barrel-aged sour with Brettanomyces, Pediococcus and Lactobacillus yeasts/bacteria fermentation with sweet and sour cherries added to fermentation. Really, really tasted like a Rodenbach and the beer-tender agreed. Limited release, numbered bottling on 6/21 (500 ml set me back about $10) and tapped today. The bottle will age 6-12 months before sampling/sharing.

Rufescent (draft sample)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Just released at noon today on draft (d'oh) and 500 ml bottles. Couldn't resist .

Pour was a bit cloudy and looked like Rubaeus with a small head. Sour, vinegary-y nose with Sour Patch cherry candy and cherry cider vinegar, acidic and woody tastes. It's a barrel-aged sour with Brettanomyces, Pediococcus and Lactobacillus yeasts/bacteria fermentation with sweet and sour cherries added to fermentation. Really, really tasted like a Rodenbach and the beer-tender agreed. Limited release, numbered bottling on 6/21 (500 ml set me back about $10) and tapped today. The bottle will age 6-12 months before sampling/sharing.
    Grrrrrrrr...

Sounds tasty. Cheers!

Tonight was a rose sancerre (what???) and rose night. Ymmm, wine.

O'Hara's Irish Stout-Carlow Brewing Company

My final bottle from my gifted birthday 6er last week. I wish I had bought a Guinness single (haven't had one for many years) to compare for myself as some reviews think this may be better than the "classic" example of the dry Irish stout style.

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Color was dark brown with a modest, creamy, mocha head. Aromas of over-roasted coffee and burnt chocolate were first thoughts. Tastes matched these with perhaps some charred, dark caramel with a pinch of licorice and a dry finish. IBUs quoted at 40 and ABV listed at 4.3% from their website but my bottle was clearly printed with an ABV of 6%, thinking they also brew two (several?) versions of this like Guinness does. Pairing? What else? Some stews, a beef roast and/or some stinky cheeses.

White Hatter-New Holland Brewing

Sampling at Total Wine as I browsed. Same New Holland district manager as when I sampled at Bottle Revolution a month or so ago.

Orange-straw color with a small head. It's a Belgian-style white pale ale . So, I guess a hybrid between a wit and a PA. Mild citrusy aromas with some piney/orange-y/spicy tastes from the chamomile, coriander and grains of paradise added. A bit of a discrepancy between the bottle and the websiite with the bottle claiming 35 IBUs and 5.2% ABV and the website promoting 52 IBUs and 5.5% ABV. Worth a single if you see it but not a 6er. Good to sip with a burger or a brat.

St. Arnulf (draft)-Lincoln Brewing Company

Drink local!

Well, if you can find the joint.

Stopped by their Fuquay-Varina location yesterday on the return trip to Raleigh after several hours of hiking at Raven Rock State Park. For lease sign at entrance.
    Closed.

But, I found their new, new grand opening announcement on Twitter for today at their second (third? fourth?) location in the area. Damn hard to find when the Google maps "pin drop" is between Tuesday Morning and Marshall's and the actual location is around the corner and kinda/sorta behind Marshall's. Conversation with owner as I got my more than generous two tasters:

dd: I went by the Fuquay location yesterday and saw it was closed. Why?
    Owner: I'm lazy. I live in north Raleigh and got tired of driving. By the way, my name's Richard C.
    dd. Oh, you're the founder/owner. Cool. Did you own Fuhgedaboutit Pizza a few years ago?
    Owner: Yea, that was me.
    dd: Why'd you close that business?
    Owner: I'm lazy. Got tired of it and sold it.
    dd: Oh, interesting.
    Owner: Is that your first Lincoln beer?
    dd: Yes.
    Owner: On the house.
    dd: Well, thank you very much.

Not a good start. Closed the former bottle shop in north Raleigh. Closed 2 pizza locations. Close the brewery in Fuquay. New other current location is (I think) Honest Abe's pub/restaurant near the RBC/PNC/NCSU Pork Palace Arena. And, brew one average (next review) and one below average (this review) Belgian-style beers in a crowded market. I'll give them about 6-12 months to stay open.

Oh, the beer above. Listed as a Belgian strong, dark ale. Sample pour (2-3 ounces) was muddy/cloudy and just off-tasting with a mild amount of sediment, even after just 1-2 minutes sitting on the bar. Not really any of the typical aromas/flavors I'd expect from the style like dried fruits, brown sugar, rum or dark caramel. The 12 ounce pour of Red Legged Devil (review to follow after a night out with Mrs. dd or in the AM) was better but still only an average beer.

Red Legged Devil (draft)-Lincoln Brewing

Drink local!

Twelve ounce snifter, courtesy of the owner/first beer on the house.

Pour was a yellow-gold with a modest, fizzy head. Almost honey-ish nose with tastes of orange, flowers, a bit of black pepper with a Belgian candi sugar finish, actually a bit too sweet. There was just something "off" about the tastes of this. Not stale, not wet cardboard, just something not right. I'll guess IBUs about 30 with an ABV of 9%. I can't imagine taking/recommending any guests to visit here or their pub/restaurantlocation near the home of Wolfpack basketball/Raleigh Hurricanes.

Nice find.

Does that mean we need to start quoting Titratable Acidity and pH now?

Hop Madness-Great Lakes Brewing Company

Best by 7/10/17 is tamped on the label, so Total Wine had a $2 off sticker on the 4 pack yesterday and, for about $7, I couldn't resist .

This is the third IIPA I've tasted from Great Lakes, and, not living in O-HI-O, I have no idea how many more they brew.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass was yellow-orange with a modest, foamy head. Mixed tropical and citrus aromas with pineapple, grapefruit, orange and mango coating my palate. There's a hint of honey-like sweetness and perhaps a hint of pine. IBUs of 80 and ABV of 8%, so nicely balanced. This would be at home with a sweet and sour chicken or shrimp entree but would also hold it's own with some mildly hot and/or spicy dishes. Personally, I like Chill Wave and Lake Erie Monster better but could be swayed into a side-by-side tasting/comparison if invited .

Nope. Just searched some archives on another site (easily done) and found no AMB beverages that I had tasted/reviewed.
    While I believe AMB is distributed locally, let me know if you want me to bring some back. Will do what I can expecting car to be packed full with limited room.

Are you suggesting that "sour beer" is more than a practical joke played on the beer drinkers of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Are you suggesting that "sour beer" is more than a practical joke played on the beer drinkers of the world?
    Perhaps more than suggesting, in this case I guess I am defending.

I'll maintain that beer is like ice cream- if you have not found a flavour you like, you are not trying hard enough

The converse of that would be everyone doesn't/won't like every type of beer.

I had a good friend who is also a very serious homebrewer tell me when I shared a sour with him that it tasted like pickle juice and he hated it.

I have plenty of friends (who have clearly never tasted a New Glarus fruit beer) that find fruited beers to "not be a real beer" or have some sort of gender hang up on who it might be more appropriate for.

I love a good imperial stout, and my soy off flavour sensitivity means that while there are a ton of awesome imperial stouts out there, I find I can't drink an alarmingly high percentage of them.

If you have access to Bond Bros, they make a great dry hopped sour.

Any lambic is a sour beer if you like those.

Rodenbach Grand Cru, New Belgium La Folie or Le Terroir also good places to start exploring sours.

Anyway, I respect both your right to your perspective (hey more sour beer for me ;-) as well as your sense of humour and that our palates are different.

Cheers! 🍻

While I believe AMB is distributed locally, let me know if you want me to bring some back. Will do what I can expecting car to be packed full with limited room.
    They are distributed locally, IIRC, but will happily accept in trade/barter/cash any specialties you might acquire. I'm still storing some of your/our recent acquisitions.

Perhaps more than suggesting, in this case I guess I am defending.

I'll maintain that beer is like ice cream- if you have not found a flavour you like, you are not trying hard enough

The converse of that would be everyone doesn't/won't like every type of beer.

I had a good friend who is also a very serious homebrewer tell me when I shared a sour with him that it tasted like pickle juice and he hated it.

I have plenty of friends (who have clearly never tasted a New Glarus fruit beer) that find fruited beers to "not be a real beer" or have some sort of gender hang up on who it might be more appropriate for.

I love a good imperial stout, and my soy off flavour sensitivity means that while there are a ton of awesome imperial stouts out there, I find I can't drink an alarmingly high percentage of them.

If you have access to Bond Bros, they make a great dry hopped sour.

Any lambic is a sour beer if you like those.

Rodenbach Grand Cru, New Belgium La Folie or Le Terroir also good places to start exploring sours.

Anyway, I respect both your right to your perspective (hey more sour beer for me ;-) as well as your sense of humour and that our palates are different.

Cheers! ��
    That would be here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...t=ymm%2C+cream