Page 6 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4567816561065061006 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And Fat Tire is not even their best offering.
    I tried some of their other beers while out West and I didn't find one I liked better. Although they were all pretty good.

I've actually found most of the microbrews I've tried form Colorado to be tasty. Breckenridge makes a good Amber Ale which I often use for my Fat Tire substitute.

ymmm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd31 View Post
    I tried some of their other beers while out West and I didn't find one I liked better. Although they were all pretty good.

I've actually found most of the microbrews I've tried form Colorado to be tasty. Breckenridge makes a good Amber Ale which I often use for my Fat Tire substitute.
    Waiting for Lavabe to stop drinking and start delivering his assortment of New Belgium brews he brought back from his recent St.L. trip

Not much of a fan of the Flying Dog 'litter' of beers but am willing to try again this winter. Have not had many Breckenridge brews recently but I do remember their oatmeal stout fondly.

The Tommyknocker brewery has a very smooth Butthead Bock(really) and a Pickaxe pale ale which is not too bitter. They also made a maple syrup flavored amber ale(I think) in years past which was not too sweet and quite pleasant.

Schlafly APA

Waiting for Lavabe to stop drinking and start delivering his assortment of New Belgium brews he brought back from his recent St.L. trip
    Schlafly Dry Hopped APA: Yumm. Got a little bitterness, but very crisp. The hops aside, you'd think this was a pilsner. Very light, amber/gold color.

Had one after a hot dog topped w/Tony Packo's relish. [NOTE: they don't carry the dogs here, but they do carry pickles, peppers, and relish].

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Did you enjoy the relish? How about the pickles and peppers?

Smile Tony Packo Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Did you enjoy the relish? How about the pickles and peppers?
    I'm not a relish-on-dog guy. I am now ... at least with Packo's.

The pickles & peppers are fantastic. So, I'll have to wait on the dogs until March, when I am next in Ohio.

And it goes well with Schlafly's.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yumm!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Finally something to contribute...

I'm not much of a beer drinker. Sort of feel I paid my dues to the beer gods when I was in college, though it was crappy beer. When in Germany though, I most certainly would partake of a beer or two or however many it was as German beer is soooo smooth.

The other night while grocery shopping I decided to peruse the beer aisle and a six pack of Killians Irish Red literally jumped into my cart and would not leave. Rather than fight it, it was a little late, I decided to bring Mr. Killian, or to some Lord Killian home. Now I am a bit biased being an Irish lass, but I really liked it.

Anyone want to share thoughts on Killians?

Killian's

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'm not much of a beer drinker. Sort of feel I paid my dues to the beer gods when I was in college, though it was crappy beer. When in Germany though, I most certainly would partake of a beer or two or however many it was as German beer is soooo smooth.

The other night while grocery shopping I decided to peruse the beer aisle and a six pack of Killians Irish Red literally jumped into my cart and would not leave. Rather than fight it, it was a little late, I decided to bring Mr. Killian, or to some Lord Killian home. Now I am a bit biased being an Irish lass, but I really liked it.

Average tasting Irish-type red ale. Haven't had one in years, however. Too many other more flavorful offerings out there, even available in grocery stores, especially Harris-Teeter stores in Raleigh.

Just started the fall/winter beer tastings/purchases. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-smooth, slightly hoppy, moderately malty and a nice vanilla bean finish. Had it for "dessert" on Sunday with a few ginger snaps. Sam Adams(yes, Sam Adams, not Samuel Smith) Imperial Pilsner-tastes more like a pale ale with Hallertau hops in large quantities imparting a moderate floral bitterness and packing a nice wallop(8.8% ABV). I will save one of each for Lavabe (if he will ever deliver his promised goodies from his recent journey to St. Louis )

I will save one of each for Lavabe (if he will ever deliver his promised goodies from his recent journey to St. Louis )
    I first have to send off a goody package to friends at UNC-G. That is the ONLY thing on my agenda in the next 24 hours.

Having said that, I freaked out my brother (a lager man) when he saw the New Belgium Black Ale I was sipping yesterday. SMOOVE, with a little bite. It was okay. Glad I tried it. NOT a favorite.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Killians is one of the best Macros. There's nothing wrong with it. It's not great either.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Got a text message from my mother, vacationing in San Fran with my aunt and uncle. They were sitting in the Anchor brewery, sampling this year's Christmas ale, and she said it was really good. Thanks mom, because I on the other hand am sitting in the flippin' library.
    If she doesn't bring me back an Anchor t-shirt, we're gonna be having some problems.

Average tasting Irish-type red ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Killians is one of the best Macros. There's nothing wrong with it. It's not great either.
    I had a feeling ya'll would think it an average beer. Not being a big beer drinker my taste is (obviously) not very discriminating.

Anchor

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Got a text message from my mother, vacationing in San Fran with my aunt and uncle. They were sitting in the Anchor brewery, sampling this year's Christmas ale, and she said it was really good. Thanks mom, because I on the other hand am sitting in the flippin' library.
    If she doesn't bring me back an Anchor t-shirt, we're gonna be having some problems.
    Make sure she brings you a t-shirt so you can wear it while drinking YOUR Anchor Christmas Ale after it arrives in Atlanta beer/wine/liquor stores in December. This is probably the longest running holiday ale, about 30 years, and it is a slighly different recipe/flavor every year. If you can not find it, contact Lavabe on this board, he knows where EVERY fine ale can be found these days

Killian's

I had a feeling ya'll would think it an average beer. Not being a big beer drinker my taste is (obviously) not very discriminating.
    It may not be now, but think about sampling a different beer every week for the next year or 10 and then realize how many styles and tastes you have discovered and hopefully not destroyed any brain/liver cells in the process.

Of the New Belgium beers, I like Abbey best (great banana flavor), but am quite pleased to see Mothership Wit available on tap at bars throughout Denver as of this summer.

Other great Colorado brews:

Dale's Pale Ale
    Avery IPA and, even more so if you like knock-your-socks-off-hops, their Douple IPA The Maharaja
    Left Hand Milk Stout
    Mendocino's Blue Heron Pale Ale (not from Colorado, but a good example of an excellent American Pale Ale and a far cry from the sometimes over-hopped Colorado pale ales).

It may not be now, but think about sampling a different beer every week for the next year or 10 and then realize how many styles and tastes you have discovered and hopefully not destroyed any brain/liver cells in the process.
    I like that idea!

Smile Patience pays off

Just started the fall/winter beer tastings/purchases. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-smooth, slightly hoppy, moderately malty and a nice vanilla bean finish. Had it for "dessert" on Sunday with a few ginger snaps. Sam Adams(yes, Sam Adams, not Samuel Smith) Imperial Pilsner-tastes more like a pale ale with Hallertau hops in large quantities imparting a moderate floral bitterness and packing a nice wallop(8.8% ABV). I will save one of each for Lavabe (if he will ever deliver his promised goodies from his recent journey to St. Louis )
    Please send the Vanilla Porter. You HAD to say the magic V-word to someone who works in Madagascar!

Madame Lavabe will bring some momentos from St. Louis.

Now that my friends at UNCG have been taken care of, I can breathe again.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

vanilla porter

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Please send the Vanilla Porter. You HAD to say the magic V-word to someone who works in Madagascar!

Madame Lavabe will bring some momentos from St. Louis.

Now that my friends at UNCG have been taken care of, I can breathe again.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Not promising that the vanilla is from Madagascar but it is a nice flavor with the chocolatey tones of the porter.

Madame Lavabe will be warmly and thirstily(?) welcomed Friday or Saturday. Would she like me to try and procure any tix for the Barton exhibition for her and the future Duke women's LAX star? I know she will want to attend the Chorale concert.

Sage Advice

As the late Justin Wilson said about wine, I think the same advice goes for beer. The best one is the one you like best.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-02-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Fixed dupe post, though I kinda liked "sag advice" in a beer thread...

Schlafly's...wow. The pumpkin ale might be the best I've ever had (those things often end up being over-flavored pastiches of what they should be). The pale ale is a solid rendition of the ubiquitous brew, without the overhopped flavor of many American pales. The stout is a mild one, but exceedingly smooth and substantial.
    Thanks lavabe!
    Are these beers in no way available in the Atlanta area?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Schlafly's...wow. The pumpkin ale might be the best I've ever had (those things often end up being over-flavored pastiches of what they should be). The pale ale is a solid rendition of the ubiquitous brew, without the overhopped flavor of many American pales. The stout is a mild one, but exceedingly smooth and substantial.
    Thanks lavabe!
    Are these beers in no way available in the Atlanta area?
    I know of no one outside of St. Louis/Southern Illinois who carries Schlafly's. As the pumpkin ale is a limited time brew, perhaps we need to see folks at UMSL & WashU.

Solution: Road trip to see Throaty!

The Oatmeal Stout is wonderful on draught; it's very nice in bottle. Smooth in bottle... I dare say they brew it differently from the draught version. The APA is going to sell. Glad you enjoyed them (and still have a few to try)!

Any thoughts devildeac?

The success of Schlafly (and a massive/successful capital campaign) explains why WashU moved up on the US News & World Report college rankings!

Cheers,
    Lavabe