Page 576 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 7647652656657457557657757858662667610761576 ... LastLast
Results 11,501 to 11,520 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    F it. Just reserved a 6er for $17.99 to pick up tomorrow. I hope you are right
    Now that is some long-distance arm-twisting.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Had a few but not "all" Enjoy Bys.
    Some have been spectacular, others have been ok (to me).

Been a looong time since I had a Hop Stoopid.
    My memory says hops like a slap in the face.
    Barely recall struggling with it a bit.

Can't say anything bad about Freak of Nature.

I support all your choices are great beers (not that my opinion does/should matter).

Still not sure I'd agree for my palate they are in the same league with Hopslam.

Maybe it would help if I attempt to qualify why.

Hopslam was the first high hop beer I ever had that attempted some semblance of balance.
    What I mean by this is that the honey addition cuts what could be crazy bitter into the dangerously drinkable category.

Its not a precise enough analogy, just like a barleywine is pretty one dimensionally boozy, I like a complex beer. "Just" being 80-100 IBU isn't what I am chasing. I guess this is also why I like some of the new high hop fruity IPAs- layers of flavour make those beers really enjoyable.

No criticism or offense intended.
    I'd raise a glass of beer with you any day :-)
    No offense taken at all.

My point was mainly that at any given time you can find a really solid DIPA. Again, hopefully when I try one tomorrow my opinion will change.

Pretty cool you have somewhere you can reserve it.

If you don't like it you probably have some friends you can pawn it off to
    Yep...Hops and Vines in West AVL said they would hold one for me for tomorrow only. Great place. Used to go there all the time for home brewing equipment/ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Going to be there for a few days soon. Anything local worth tracking down?
    I have no clue what to suggest for refreshments on that excursion.

Maybe find some Lost Abbey/Port Brewing products from CA? I don't think Russian River distributes to NV.

Pretty cool you have somewhere you can reserve it.

If you don't like it you probably have some friends you can pawn it off to
    Or, send the remainder with your rent-a-beer mule in another couple weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Now that is some long-distance arm-twisting.
    It usually doesn't take much for me...

From 6/2/16:

Samichlaus (2010)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

No typo. I really saved another beer 6 years (there aren't many left in the "cellar") and it was worth the wait. It was semi-intentional as I re-discovered this rotating/consolidating stock in the cellar, err, garage this spring. I did not think I had any left prior to 2011 but found this gem and "forced" myself to sip this over an hour in one sitting tonight. It is technically a double bock but really most resembles a sherry. Brown sugar and dark caramel sweet with dark cherry and very winey, sherry-like flavors. Tough to believe this is beer as it has little head but remained rather clear over the years. There was no sediment in this bottle, unlike others I've reviewed. Best served in a snifter or wine glass at cellar temperature and only as a dessert beer. Recommended to sip and savor over an hour or so as the ABV is 14% (no typo here either) and I'd guess the IBU 20-30 as it is technically a lager. I'll guess it is over $20 for a 4 pack now. The label states "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage" which was quite a claim even 6 years ago and even more difficult to think/profess now with a lot more competitors in the very high gravity market but I still enjoy tasting one or two of these (on different nights, of course) every winter/spring, much as one enjoys seeing an old friend every year or two.

From last PM:

Samichlaus (2010)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

This beer sucked. I'll give it an 82-84 score .

I had to wait until 2017 so I could claim 7 years of cellaring . Plus, it was the last Samichlaus in the storage unit (aka our garage). It may also be the last Samichlaus purchased for a while for the above reasons. This is technically a lager/double bock but the ABV is warming and stunning. If blindfolded (like a few acc "refs" usually are), I'm not sure I could differentiate this from a sherry. If you've never had one, it's worth a 4 pack at $20 to enjoy annually over several years or find a draft like I did for the first time ever about a month ago.

From 9/29/13;

Warlock-Southern Tier Brewing

Pumking's dark side. Part of their Blackwater Series, this imperial stout really is more of an imperial porter as the color is closer to mahogany brown and not midnight black and the consistency is a bit thinner than a RIS should be. That's not to detract from the quality either as this is like liquid pumpkin bread (but no spices) baked with coffee beans and dark chocolate chunks (thought there is no sludge in the last 30 ml of this bomber). Ale yeast, two hops, four malts plus pumpkins comprise the ingredients. I'd guess the IBU in the 50 range and we dropped down a bit in ABV with this selection to 8.6%. August West kindly provided this dessert brew. Have it alone or with any spiced cakes.
    From tonight:

Warlock (DOB: 7/14/15 at 06:11:47 to be precise )-Southern Tier Brewing

It's (almost) always interesting to re-visit some brews, even if it's 18 months old .

This was included in a recent delivery from ricks68 as he tried to clean out his beer fridge, tearily parting with about a grand total of about 14 of his 200 bottle stash . I might have taken a few more bottles but his inventory reduction/clearance pricing could have been a bit better . Thanks!

They've added spices to this one as the last ingredient on the bottle is "natural flavors" and it really does taste like a slice of pumpkin pie that has been covered with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips or a dark fudge sauce. I think there's a bit less coffee tastes to this edition but the ABV has been truly "imperialized" at 10%. This is another one of those Southern Tier Blackwater Series brews that is best shared among several tasters, though I am sheepishly finishing the entire bomber tonight over about 90 minutes and the second pour/snifter is disappearing very slowly.

Just put my 6er of Hopslam in the fridge, will try one later tonight. Hopefully I am proven wrong!

Pale Ale-c*rolina Brewing Company

A fridge leftover dated 6/30/16. Believe me, I had my doubts but it ended up a decent offering. Pour was an orange-yellow with a one finger head. Nose of earth and caramel followed by fairly smooth, herbal, malty tastes. Their website labels it an American pale ale but it's more British to me with its aforementioned characteristics. Made a nice pairing with some mushroom chicken, mashed potatoes and a fancy, mixed green salad. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 30 and the ABV is 5.1%, about as expected.

I am not a wheat beer guy, but that sounds worth a taste or three.

I know where I want to be 2/25 am:

http://www.ncbeerguys.com/north_caro...ake-breakfast/

I think we'll be in Columbus, OH that weekend. Enjoy!

Will you drink the beer or pour it on your pancakes?

I think we'll be in Columbus, OH that weekend. Enjoy!

Will you drink the beer or pour it on your pancakes?
    If I go, the answer is yes!

http://www.kctv5.com/story/34354645/...a-bag-of-chips

Can't make up my mind if this is legit or #alternativefacts fake news.

I am a huge fan of Fullsteam Coffee is for Closers.

A few weeks ago, Fullsteam announced they were brewing an imperial version at 11%, Steak Knives.

Will be released Super Bowl weekend.

Wonder which of the brewers is a Glengarry Glennross fan...

Granite Falls Sweet Cherry

I have been very impressed with what this brewery has been doing lately. This is their sour cherry offering. Pours the cloudy-pink color of grapefruit juice. One finger off-white head. A very nice sour pucker (rhymes with what K wants to find somewhere on this current team). One of the better sours I have had recently (and that includes Granite Falls' boysenberry sour, which I tasted on draft few days back).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Fom 10/11/15:

Torch-Foothills Brewing

Wedding reception selection. Poured a light straw color with a modest, creamy white head. Floral scents and the mild European hops provide a light bitterness to balance a toasted, breadiness from the grain bill that was a whiter shade of pale. A tad more bitter than I anticipated from a typical German style pilsner at 35 IBUs with the ABV at 5.3%. Nicely paired with with cocktail hour snacks of fried mac and cheese, pimento cheese in tiny Mason jars with little celery stick "utensils" and bacon-wrapped figs and goat cheese.

Hoppyum was my other choice and when I saw they were pouring Woodford Reserve, my beer drinking/reviewing ceased.
    From tonight:

Torch-Foothills Brewing

Worth re-tasting and re-posting.

A solid pilsner they made in the European/Bohemian (non-Rhapsody) tradition. This 12 ounce bottle was included in my January beer club 4 pack. Yea, a bit out of season but a pleasant prelude to my nightcap that's on deck...