Page 554 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5445450454455255355455555656460465410541554 ... LastLast
Results 11,061 to 11,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Looks like I will not be traveling to Oskar Blues on Saturday. I've got way too much high priced beer to run through before buying more. $12.50 for a 19.2 oz. can is just too much for me. No wonder they have a 12 can limit for each of the Coconut and 10-fidy. No one is going to spend 150 bucks for a 12 pack, anyway. Just more hype. I've still got the Prairie 12oz. I just picked up for 10 bucks, but that's the end of it I think for a long while.

ricks
    Not having tasted it, sounds expensive.

Its the thought the counts!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not having tasted it, sounds expensive.

Its the thought the counts!
    I am sitting here listening to the original Velvet Underground Album while sharing a bomber of Olde Hickory Event Horizon with Ms. Ricks. About to go down from my study to sit in front of the fire while having a few "snacky things" It's great to have hand crafted one-of-a-kind ceramic mugs that hold the entire 25 ozs. I decided on choosing one of the 4 bombers that I plucked from the beer fridge to be the winner for tonight's mood. I had to choose from a Heretic Hazelnut Porter (a steal at $6 last year.), Chocolatized, the Farking Wheaton, and the Event Horizon. I didn't think I was in the mood for choosing between Black Ops, all kinds of barrel aged Narwhals and Dragon's Milks, different kinds of Ninja variations, Skillit, what dd brought for me during the past year, etc.

Thinking is not what is getting in the way, it's the actual drinking.

I am trying, I promise...99 bottles of beer on the wall....

ricks

I am sitting here listening to the original Velvet Underground Album while sharing a bomber of Olde Hickory Event Horizon with Ms. Ricks. About to go down from my study to sit in front of the fire while having a few "snacky things" It's great to have hand crafted one-of-a-kind ceramic mugs that hold the entire 25 ozs. I decided on choosing one of the 4 bombers that I plucked from the beer fridge to be the winner for tonight's mood. I had to choose from a Heretic Hazelnut Porter (a steal at $6 last year.), Chocolatized, the Farking Wheaton, and the Event Horizon. I didn't think I was in the mood for choosing between Black Ops, all kinds of barrel aged Narwhals and Dragon's Milks, different kinds of Ninja variations, Skillit, what dd brought for me during the past year, etc.

Thinking is not what is getting in the way, it's the actual drinking.

I am trying, I promise...99 bottles of beer on the wall...

ricks
    All kinds if #humblebrag above aside, you give me my annual opportunity to suggest the Olde Hickory Event Horizon is waaaay overrated.

As devildeac and I have discussed, my palate seems to find soy off flavours without much prompting.

While it would be unfair to say Event Horizon is the worst imperial stout I have ever had, it definitely trends toward the bottom of the list. The good news is everyone's palate is different and that means more Event Horizon for those who like it.

Olde Hickory's Black IPA (Raven?) is a beer I can celebrate.

This also gave me an opportunity to take fridge inventory. Emptiest its been in easily a year. There is actually room for the non beer stuff that occassionally gets stored there.
    80 bottles or cans of various sizes and flavours, plus 10 special 750ml bottles not in the fridge yet.

Cheers!

Blonde Moment-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Looks like they've been in bizness since 2004 and I think this is my first tasting of any of their products . A single 12 ounce can was included in my December beer club 4 packer. WTH? A Belgian style blonde ale? In mid-December? On a 25 degree night? A pleasant surprise indeed.

Pour was a very slightly cloudy pale yellow with a small, disappearing head. There's lemon and pear emanating from my glass! There's some orange, a bit of wheat, a pinch of white pepper and some more lemon and maybe a splash of pinot grigio. Pretty smooth on the palate at 22 IBUs and easy on the waistline at 6.2% ABV. This was quite enjoyable with a small Gala apple. However, I hear a Ninja approaching to save me on this chilly night...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Ninjabread Man-Asheville Brewing Company

Tastes like a liquid one of these swirled with milk chocolate:

250px-Gingerbread_men.jpg

Poured half a bomber of this last PM, courtesy of ricks68's most recent delivery. Thanks! Appearance was a medium to dark brown with the expected gingerbread cookie/cake aromas. Modest tan head lingered a bit and the tastes were more than ginger with generous amounts of vanilla and cinnamon appearing almost immediately. A bit of research yielded the discovery that raisins and molasses were also used in the spicing. The porter base accounts for the milk chocolate-y-ness of this highly tasty winter concoction. IBUs of 26 and ABV a very sippable 5.6%. I can't decide whether I'll finish this after dinner tonight for dessert or as a nightcap after date night with Mrs. dd.

Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Aged Ale

A nose almost like a wheat ale.

Maybe my taste is off- very fruity, orange-y.
    Not very bourbon-y.

Enjoyable beer. Complete miss on intended target.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ninjabread Man-Asheville Brewing Company

Tastes like a liquid one of these swirled with milk chocolate:

250px-Gingerbread_men.jpg

Poured half a bomber of this last PM, courtesy of ricks68's most recent delivery. Thanks! Appearance was a medium to dark brown with the expected gingerbread cookie/cake aromas. Modest tan head lingered a bit and the tastes were more than ginger with generous amounts of vanilla and cinnamon appearing almost immediately. A bit of research yielded the discovery that raisins and molasses were also used in the spicing. The porter base accounts for the milk chocolate-y-ness of this highly tasty winter concoction. IBUs of 26 and ABV a very sippable 5.6%. I can't decide whether I'll finish this after dinner tonight for dessert or as a nightcap after date night with Mrs. dd.
    I find it much more reliably tasty than Cold Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I find it much more reliably tasty than Cold Mountain.
    I think this is the 3rd year ricks68 has been kind enough to search out bombers for fuse and me, for which I am again, very grateful. Neither he nor mattman have had many nice things to say about Cold Mountain 2016 so I've not made any requests, nor have I shopped locally for it. Sounds like the DBR Ashevillains are unanimous.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think this is the 3rd year ricks68 has been kind enough to search out bombers for fuse and me, for which I am again, very grateful. Neither he nor mattman have had many nice things to say about Cold Mountain 2016 so I've not made any requests, nor have I shopped locally for it. Sounds like the DBR Ashevillains are unanimous.
    Was afraid to ask, now excited!

2010 Samichlaus

Poured maybe 10 of 12 ounces before I saw chunks in the bottle and avoided a bad pour.

Clear amber in the glass.

Smells of raisins, figs and booze.

Thicky and syrupy.
    Notes of cinnamon.

Dangerously drinkable in spite of a tongue numbing finish.

The last of the Samichlauses in the fridge.

Thoroughly outstanding.

While not a barley wine, very barley wine esque.

I'm not a port drinker, might make an analogy to port in terms of flavour profile.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Natty Greene's Red Nose Winter Ale

Grabbed a couple of bottles after fuse's suggestion. A nice, rich flavor that I liked better than the 21st Amendment Fireside Chat. Lovely mahogany color. One of Natty's better offerings.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

DBR ate my Moody Tongue Chocolatized Caramel Churro Baltic Porter review.

Couldn't finish it- sour, odd, indescribable.

I thought Martín Luther was to blame. Or was that Martin Luther King?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Grabbed a couple of bottles after fuse's suggestion. A nice, rich flavor that I liked better than the 21st Amendment Fireside Chat. Lovely mahogany color. One of Natty's better offerings.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Would be good on some foggy Christmas Eve ....

2010 Samichlaus

Poured maybe 10 of 12 ounces before I saw chunks in the bottle and avoided a bad pour.

Clear amber in the glass.

Smells of raisins, figs and booze.

Thicky and syrupy.
    Notes of cinnamon.

Dangerously drinkable in spite of a tongue numbing finish.

The last of the Samichlauses in the fridge.

Thoroughly outstanding.

While not a barley wine, very barley wine esque.

I'm not a port drinker, might make an analogy to port in terms of flavour profile.

Cheers and happy holidays!
    Man, I wish you had let me now about this as I have my last 2009 in the fridge waiting for 2017 so I can claim 8 years of cellaring. We coulda had a mini-vertical (at 14% ABV, we couldn't have sipped many of these), right before our Uber arrived .

Was afraid to ask, now excited!
    I have one for you, along with some excellent Innovation bombers, but was unable to deliver it on my last visit. My next sojourn will be around the weekend of Jan 21, which I would expect to be a guaranteed delivery.

ricks

This wasn't one of the better beers I brought back from my spring trip to Columbus, IN . The 3 Floyds and Rheingeist brews were far superior.

I have one for you, along with some excellent Innovation bombers, but was unable to deliver it on my last visit. My next sojourn will be around the weekend of Jan 21, which I would expect to be a guaranteed delivery.

ricks
    color.GIF

All kinds if #humblebrag above aside, you give me my annual opportunity to suggest the Olde Hickory Event Horizon is waaaay overrated.

As devildeac and I have discussed, my palate seems to find soy off flavours without much prompting.

While it would be unfair to say Event Horizon is the worst imperial stout I have ever had, it definitely trends toward the bottom of the list. The good news is everyone's palate is different and that means more Event Horizon for those who like it.

Olde Hickory's Black IPA (Raven?) is a beer I can celebrate.

This also gave me an opportunity to take fridge inventory. Emptiest its been in easily a year. There is actually room for the non beer stuff that occassionally gets stored there.
    80 bottles or cans of various sizes and flavours, plus 10 special 750ml bottles not in the fridge yet.

Cheers!
    I gotta tell you that I am not bragging about my beer fridge, but just lamenting about someone (me) who never liked beer until moving to AVL, resulting in overindulgent purchases of high quality beers that my limited drinking capacity cannot handle. Every time I tasted a great beer, I would buy too much for me to consume within a reasonable time. Hence, the ridiculous number of high quality beers remaining in the fridge. Heck, I haven't even tried some beers that dd brought me well over a year ago. Like I have offered in the past, there is an open invitation for beer consuming DBR posters to come visit and help me in reducing my beer collection.

Now, as far as Event Horizon is concerned, I beg to differ in your assessment. The bottle I had last night was really, really good. The bourbon barrel aging effect was not too strong (which is the way I prefer) and there was an excellent dark chocolate flavor throughout. Not even a hint of soy, or any other funky taste, to me. Really fine stuff to me, but on the flip slide, I am not an IPA nor Wicked Weed sour fan like you. So, I guess it is just a matter of what each individual prefers.

ricks