Page 544 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4444449453454254354454554655459464410441544 ... LastLast
Results 10,861 to 10,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

As if anyone needed any more proof that Dogfish Head will add just about anything to their brews:

http://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/chocolate-lobster

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Glarus 2016 Cran-bic

Pours like fruit punch.
    Nose definitely picks up sour notes, maybe funny to say, but smells like a cranberry christmas candle.

Assertively tart. Amazing mouthfeel, and overall a brilliant beer.

Happy Thanksgiving!

As expected, New Glarus Serendipity was an excellent match for turkey, green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and cranberry suace.

I'm stuffed just typing this.

21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Ale

Looked intriguing at the Food Lion as we gathered some last Turkey Day provisions. Pours a nice dark brown with a thick tan head. A nice set of warming spices on the palate. 45 IBU and 7.9% ABV. And a drawing of FDR on the box it came in. Worth drinking again.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Mr. Hankey Brown Ale

Sorry, watching a South Park Xmas special of Mr. Hankey's favourite shows. Nothing short of priceless. His son Cornwallis is quite the solid

Gonna have to work on my own version of Mr. Hankey Brown Ale, it'll be good as sh...; it'll wipe your palate clean!

A full day of ruining a turkey and drinking beer brings out the worst/best in me.

May finish the night with St. Bernardus Xmas Ale, that should get me ready to fish tomorrow!!

From 11/18/09:

Sierra Nevada Porter-a trader from Brunchgate-pretty standard stuff here, and that is in the good sense. Medium to dark brown pour with a modest head. All the usual tastes with a bit of chocolate and a bit of dark caramel with a bit of roastiness. Mild bitterness. IBU probably 40 and the ABV is 5.6%. You can drink this with BBQ stuff or cook chili/stew with it. Thanks again to August West . Or was it CB&B? It's tough enough remembering the brews sometimes.

From tonight:

Porter-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

A classic porter that was part of a package of traders (liquids for currency ) from ricks68 before the cheaters game. Thanks!

I don't think much has changed in 7 years. Part of a porter starter session tonight with younger daughter and her husband. All of us gave this a thumbs up. Here are some of the facts:

YEAST Ale yeast
    BITTERING HOPS Aurora
    FINISHING HOPS Yakima Golding
    MALTS Two-row Pale, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel, Black & Carafa

IBUs were 32 so I was only off by 8 in my guessing 7 years ago.

Sue-Yazoo Brewing Company

A bomber (divided 3 ways tonight) from fuse's recent beer hunting expedition in Nashville. Thanks!

Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small head. It's an imperial smoked porter that measured up to its name and reputation (from our older son-in-law's father). Smoky nose and smoky tastes to accompany some dark caramel, chocolate and coffee notes. Almost like liquid brisket/ribs without the bones or fat! Assertive hopping with Galena and Perle varieties result in a rather high IBU measurement of 93 which is very nicely balanced with a regal ABV of 9%. Surprisingly, our daughter, who a dark beer fan, was turned off by the smokiness of the brew, but, our younger son-in-law, not a dark beer fan or lover of many things of high IBU, really found this to be quite the palate pleaser. I also greatly enjoyed the brew and would sip another if/when the opportunity presented itself again.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Old Fashioned Tasting

Wicked Weed vs Kentucky Alltech brewing

Alltech
    No head
    Amber colour
    actually smells like bourbon, orange and cherry, boozy

Really orange-y. Pleasant.

Wicked Weed
    Almost inky black
    Smells like sour cherry and bourbon
    Way better mouthfeel.
    Richer, more complex.
    Layers of bourbon, orange and maybe a hint of subtle cherry.

If I had to pick a winner, it would be Wicked Weed.
    Before anyone chimes in "well, duh", these beers are so different as not to be comparable.

I don't think I've ever had a real old fashioned cocktail, which means I have no real reference point.

Wicked Weed is a slow sipper.
    Alltech is more crushable.

Independently each is good.

I have one more of each that I will not do another comparison.
    Now I have a better idea on how I would enjoy each the best.

For those that are curious, the LoveNinja claimed the Wicked Weed after we did our initial side by side. I'm not complaining.
    Kentucky Old Fashioned Barrel Ale-Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company

I'm not sure I've ever had an Old Fashioned cocktail either, but, after reading various recipes while sharing this 12 ounce ale last PM, I've got to think that Alltech nailed it quite nicely, as did fuse with his review above . I'll guess the IBUs around 30, ASSuming the base beverage is an amber ale. The ABV is 10% and we all thought it was boozy from the bourbon barrel aging and the alcohol content. But still, very crushable, to borrow/steal a phrase .

I'm trying to talk younger daughter into making rounds with me late AM today and then treating her to a Which Wich and sharing a half pint (coincidentally, of Wicked Weed's version of a beer Old Fashioned, cough, cough) or two at Bottle Revolution with her whilst we nibble on our 'wiches.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Kentucky Old Fashioned Barrel Ale-Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company

I'm not sure I've ever had an Old Fashioned cocktail either, but, after reading various recipes while sharing this 12 ounce ale last PM, I've got to think that Alltech nailed it quite nicely, as did fuse with his review above . I'll guess the IBUs around 30, ASSuming the base beverage is an amber ale. The ABV is 10% and we all thought it was boozy from the bourbon barrel aging and the alcohol content. But still, very crushable, to borrow/steal a phrase .

I'm trying to talk younger daughter into making rounds with me late AM today and then treating her to a Which Wich and sharing a half pint (coincidentally, of Wicked Weed's version of a beer Old Fashioned, cough, cough) or two at Bottle Revolution with her whilst we nibble on our 'wiches.
    If you are going anywhere, you should check out the cask event at Lynnwood. Pricey, looks amazing. I am likely to pass due to potential work obligations.

If you are going anywhere, you should check out the cask event at Lynnwood. Pricey, looks amazing. I am likely to pass due to potential work obligations.
    Just shared a couple half pints with younger daughter, WW Old Fashioned and Stillwater On Fleek. More later after my nap.

I still may investigate your suggestion.

Just shared a couple half pints with younger daughter, WW Old Fashioned and Stillwater On Fleek. More later after my nap.

I still may investigate your suggestion.
    Disappointed you did not try Chocolate Lobster!

You misunderestimate me.

When your daughter cheered for 3 years at Duke and danced countless times to Rock Lobster, I absolutely/positively had to try the beer fka Choc Lobster.

Does a 2 ounce taster qualify for a post/review?

You misunderestimate me.

When your daughter cheered for 3 years at Duke and danced countless times to Rock Lobster, I absolutely/positively had to try the beer fka Choc Lobster.

I do not think that word means what you think it means ;-)

I hold you in the highest esteem.

Can't wait to read all about it.

Asheville friends, Wicked Weed Red Atrial release is 10am tomorrow.

Think of me fondly ;-)

You misunderestimate me.

I do not think that word means what you think it means ;-)

I hold you in the highest esteem.

Can't wait to read all about it.
    Here ya go:

Chocolate Lobster (draft)-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

The beer fka Choc Lobster, no relation to Rock Lobster .

On a whim, because it was there, I got a 2 ounce sample before sharing half pints of WW Old Fashiohed and Stillwater's On Fleek.

Pour was a medium to dark brown with a little head. Nose of milk chocolate and tastes of the same with a bit of garden/herbal spicing. I perceived no shellfish/seawater/Old Bay tastes to this, even after reading about its origin/making. IBUs of 40 and ABV was 5.6%. I guess this would be good with a seafood gumbo, some chocolate covered scallops/shrimp or a flounder/lump crab cheesecake with an oreo crust (testing to see if anybody actually reads some of my drivel).

Yazoo Embrace the Funk Deux Rouge batch number 3

Labeled a Flanders red style with wild yeast and souring bacteria, aged for a year in merlot barrels.

Poured more a muddy brown than red, held to light the red hue is more apparent.

Nose is rich red fruit and vinegar sour.

This may have also gone well with a Thanksgiving feast.

Immediately vinegary sour. I get some pickle-y notes that I can understand some comments when I have had sour beers with friends who don't care for them.

A pretty nice sipper, no ABV on the bottle.

Here ya go:

Chocolate Lobster (draft)-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

The beer fka Choc Lobster, no relation to Rock Lobster .

On a whim, because it was there, I got a 2 ounce sample before sharing half pints of WW Old Fashiohed and Stillwater's On Fleek.

Pour was a medium to dark brown with a little head. Nose of milk chocolate and tastes of the same with a bit of garden/herbal spicing. I perceived no shellfish/seawater/Old Bay tastes to this, even after reading about its origin/making. IBUs of 40 and ABV was 5.6%. I guess this would be good with a seafood gumbo, some chocolate covered scallops/shrimp or a flounder/lump crab cheesecake with an oreo crust (testing to see if anybody actually reads some of my drivel).
    Even in a tryptophan funk, I see you sitting on a throne of lies (again, bonus points for a badly misused movie quote).

Even in a tryptophan funk, I see you sitting on a throne of lies (again, bonus points for a badly misused movie quote).

Any/all of our 3 children would likely have nailed this. I, alas, must search the interwebs.

I still want my points. All 1.287 of them.

On Fleek (draft)-Stillwater Artisanal and Casita Cerveceria

Don't ask me, I just sample the stuff.

This was a half pint pour shared with our younger daughter along with a Wicked Weed Old Fashioned as we nibbled on a couple Which Wiches this afternoon. Appearance was onyx with a thin, mocha head. Aromas of dark, dark chocolate, burnt toffee and dark roast coffee. Mouthfeel was 30W, almost chewy. What a coating left on my cup and tongue! Tastes of dark chocolate fudge, swirled with molasses and dark caramel with a few coffee beans scattered throughout. I'll guess IBUs of 40-50 and it was boozy at 13% ABV without any liquor barrel aging. Nightcap beverage or sip with a chocolate/caramel dessert. Hell, pour a couple ounces of it over some vanilla ice cream instead of your favorite ice cream syrup.

Wicked Weed Barrel Aged Lunatic Blonde

Would love to do a side by side with Mother Earth Tripel Overhead.

Barrel aging shines through, tempering the sweetness of the belgian style tripel.

Funky nose, tasty start to finish.