Page 532 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3243248252253053153253353454258263210321532 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Nice find/list. I've had 8. I think. Might be 9 but I've read/talked about Dinner so much, it seems like I've had it but I won't bet any hops on this one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Billows (growler)-Burial Beer

Shout out to richardjackson199 for this contribution. Thanks!

Very pleasant lead-off hitter on a clear, somewhat warm, Indian summer afternoon at tailgate today. A kölsch-style ale from Stella Brew shop in Winston-Salem and well done, too. Pour was a straw-yellow with a moderate fizzy head that lingered a bit. Delicate floral nose with bit extra hop bite than I would have expected given the style. But, then again, it's a Burial beer. Tastes were apple, pear, flower petals with a bit of caramel. I'll guess IBUs of 30 here and the ABV was 4.9%. I had a plate of TrueBlue'CueCrew pulled pork topped with a generous scoop of their slaw, Mrs. dd's almost famous corn and black bean salad, a large hunk of mac and cheese and some assorted marinated and grilled veggies.

5/25

I'm sure my 5 are included in your 7. Curious to know what the other 2 are

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    5/25

I'm sure my 5 are included in your 7. Curious to know what the other 2 are
    Well, you didn't ask me but here goes:

Two Hearted Ale
    Pliny the Elder
    Enjoy By
    Sculpin
    Double Jack
    Liberty
    Pernicious
    Heady Topper

Dinner-maybe, maybe not

Next up:

Plead the 5th (growler)-Dark Horse Brewing Company

A 10 month old growler? Still fresh and tasty? You bet!

Many thanks to August West for bringing from his beer collection!

Pour of this imperial stout was almost pitch black with a small, mocha head. Coffee, dark chocolate scents and dark fruit, dark caramel and chocolate and some more coffee on the taste buds but I'm not sure any coffee was added. Moderately thick and chewy but no licorice. IBUs 41 and ABV 11% (both stats from their web site). Very good fall warmer that made a nice pairing with the above posted platter.

Brief interruption:

If anyone in the area ever needs to invite special guests to a tailgate, beer-tasting, beer dinner, you must include richardjackson199 (not sure of his real name ), We've never had anyone attend a tailgate with us who has brought more beers than guests, except of course, August West who always attends solo with at least 8-10 choices from his cooler. Their haul included 3 large growlers, 1 mini growler, a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans, a bomber and several Red Oaks. Text exchange with fuse:

devildeac: Folks brought way more beer than consumable. But I tried.

fuse: Neither sentence makes sense .

Last one for tonight:

Wookey Jack-Firestone Walker Brewing (Duvel Moortgat)

This was quite the surprise and find from Bob Green who bought a couple bombers on base and was kind enough not to drink both yesterday () and bring one to tailgate today. I rarely see their goods in our area. Thanks!

Black IPAs are not commonly brewed and this is a excellent example, as expected, from an outstanding brewery. Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small head. Nose was toasted/roasted grains, citrus and some coffee. Tastes were grilled/charred grapefruit, rind included, and dipped in milk chocolate with a coffee drizzle. Truth be told, it really is a black IIPA, especially considering the 80 IBUs and 8.3% ABV. Very good pairing with my second plate of food that included chips and spicy homemade guacamole (another thanks to richardjackson199 and his delightful bride), a large hunk of fried fish (trout maybe?) from our fine tent neighbors, the Omegas, and a generous portion of TNTDevil's spicy, but not fiery, specialty baked beans.

Yea, we were all over the place today with our IBUs, ABVs and colors/styles.

Rebel Grapefruit IPA-Boston Beer Company

An unexpected trader as we left our tent last evening from CB&B. Thanks!

Pour was a light ruby-orange with a smallish head. Nose of grapefruit (D'oh!) and tastes of the same, including pith/rind/juice. There's a hint of caramel sweetness and a bit of sourness/tartness. Part of a 12 pack sampler of 12 ounce cans. IBUs at 53 and ABV was 6.3%. Sculpin's Grapefruit IPA is better but that may also be a DIPA, which is comparing grapefruits to well, different grapefruits . Worth a tasting in the expanding beer world of fruited IPAs.

Saving my favorite of the day yesterday for a bit later today...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well, you didn't ask me but here goes:

Two Hearted Ale
    Pliny the Elder
    Enjoy By
    Sculpin
    Double Jack
    Liberty
    Pernicious
    Heady Topper

Dinner-maybe, maybe not
    My list is devildeac's minus Pliny.

I know I have had MBC Lunch, pretty sure i have not gotten my hands on Dinner.

My list is devildeac's minus Pliny.

I know I have had MBC Lunch, pretty sure i have not gotten my hands on Dinner.

When we visited friends in Healdsburg about 3 years ago, we were fortunate to visit 3 outstanding small wineries, the Bear Republic Brewhouse and just so happened () to pass through Santa Rosa on the way to a medical meeting in Lake Tahoe where we dined, sipped and purchased an assorted case of Russian River Brewery ales. I can't remember whether I had Pliny the Elder on draft or bought a bottle. Someone may have brought me a bottle a number of years ago, too. Pliny the Younger is pretty rare from what I understand and what someone else has posted here before, making a kegged appearance at the brewhouse and a few lucky pubs throughout CA about once a year.

Event Horizon (growler)-Olde Hickory Brewery

Many thanks to richardjackson199 again for going by Stella Brew and loading up his cooler with so much beer it took two to carry it from the public lots to our tent. Next time, maybe he can sneak Tripping William away from the Twin Cities and carry him to a tailgate, too.

This was sinful. Black pour. Little head. Aromas of bourbon, dark chocolate, bourbon, black strap molasses and even more bourbon. Liquid silk on the palate with all the scents showing up as flavors with some bourbon-soaked raisins/dates/figs along with some dark caramel, too, likely from the added honey, which I think also smoothed out the fairly typical burnt grains sensations you can perceive in imperial stouts. The actual booziness measured in ABV was "only" 8.5% but I'd have guessed 10-11%. I'll estimate the IBUs around 60. Dessert beer although if TNTDevil had sliced his Reese's Peanut Butter/chocolate chip/oreo cheese cake a bit earlier, I might have been enticed with that pairing.

I'm done for the day (on call) but, if August West's cooler of beverages that got a big DNP-CD yesterday see any action on Thursday, we're in for a helluva tasting .

9F.

beer_310708.jpg

Well, not quite, but we're close.

Might see action Thursday...

I'm just about ready to drink that second bomber of Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm done for the day (on call) but, if August West's cooler of beverages that got a big DNP-CD yesterday see any action on Thursday, we're in for a helluva tasting .

9F.
    DNP-CD? One player made it off the bench. See post #10625 above. AW.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Me thinks Devildeac might have poured himself too large of a sample.
    Bob Green

So close, and yet so far.

Finished soccer season in first place regular season.
    Lost 2-2 after OT and 9 rounds of penalty kicks in the championship tournament game.

New Glarus Scream Imperial IPA seems to be a good way to simultaneously celebrate the season and capture some of the post game blues.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm just about ready to drink that second bomber of Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA.
    Enjoy!

Looked it up earlier today and it is indeed a 100 on ratebeer. That was a helluva choice, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    True, but only one and he had a great game.