Page 52 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354621021525521052 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The GABF is supposed to be a huge festival with all sorts of awards. I went to the Oregon Brewers Festival several years ago. That is really a well run event that takes place the last full weekend of July every year for about the last 15 years.
    GABF is pretty big (not that this means anything, but it's always featured in the Sam Adams commercials). The best part is that after the last session on Saturday, a lot of the breweries head over to a local downtown beer bar (small dive; good dart board; best beer selection in town) and hook their kegs up. The bartenders will stagger the tapped beers and, if you want the beer coming straight from the festival, you drink for a very discounted price. It's a very communal beer drinking scene.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    GABF is pretty big (not that this means anything, but it's always featured in the Sam Adams commercials). The best part is that after the last session on Saturday, a lot of the breweries head over to a local downtown beer bar (small dive; good dart board; best beer selection in town) and hook their kegs up. The bartenders will stagger the tapped beers and, if you want the beer coming straight from the festival, you drink for a very discounted price. It's a very communal beer drinking scene.
    That sounds awesome, too. The Oregon Brewers Festival is a 3 day event and they invite 72 brewers and they each bring several kegs and hope they last all 3 days. Cost was reasonable several years ago-$10 for a mug, program and 5 tokens, each one good for a 3 ounce sample. I found out after the festival that the samples were more like 6 ounces and I actually had about 10-12 of them and wondered why I had such a buzz after thinking I was only drinking about 30-35 ounces of some high gravity samples. They charged $1 for each extra token.

That sounds awesome, too. The Oregon Brewers Festival is a 3 day event and they invite 72 brewers and they each bring several kegs and hope they last all 3 days. Cost was reasonable several years ago-$10 for a mug, program and 5 tokens, each one good for a 3 ounce sample. I found out after the festival that the samples were more like 6 ounces and I actually had about 10-12 of them and wondered why I had such a buzz after thinking I was only drinking about 30-35 ounces of some high gravity samples. They charged $1 for each extra token.
    That's a great price and I like the ability to purchase more tokens based on how much beer you want to try. Would certainly limit the intake and make you really pick and choose which beers to sample.

Tonight I'll be drinking The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest (Avery) while listening to the game. Review may or may not be up tonight depending on whether I get up before I officially move out of this house (no internet at the new place until Thursday).

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    That's a great price and I like the ability to purchase more tokens based on how much beer you want to try. Would certainly limit the intake and make you really pick and choose which beers to sample.

Tonight I'll be drinking The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest (Avery) while listening to the game. Review may or may not be up tonight depending on whether I get up before I officially move out of this house (no internet at the new place until Thursday).
    I would bet the Oregon Brewers Festival would be about $20 now but that's just a guess.

I think I had the Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest a year or two ago and was quite impressed. I will look for it at Whole Foods or Total Wine soon.

ymm, beer

It's nearly 2 AM and I feel like Lavabe and/or Ymo posting at this hour. I am exhausted after a tailgate on a hot and humid NC afternoon and an evening at WW. I do have 3 new reviews (IIRC) sampled at the tailgate and will post them after some rest.

It's nearly 2 AM and I feel like Lavabe and/or Ymo posting at this hour. I am exhausted after a tailgate on a hot and humid NC afternoon and an evening at WW. I do have 3 new reviews (IIRC) sampled at the tailgate and will post them after some rest.
    Hmmm, your PW status is being called into question.

"Really?" No, not really.

Nice way to cap a winning day, eh?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, your PW status is being called into question.

"Really?" No, not really.

Nice way to cap a winning day, eh?
    Pyramid Hefeweizen-a nice summer, tailgate beverage. Slightly cloudy and unfiltered. Good representative of the style. Mild citrus (orange, perhaps). Minimal bitterness.

Tilly had some of this one. Care to share your thoughts?
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-31-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: To answer Ymo's question: Actually, this started the tailgate.

Thumbs up A football win, a brew, and a bath ... AHHHHH

Another 8-hour sleep here. I could get used to this.

Of course, this foils all plans regarding the 24 hour record on the LTE.

Nothing like a soaker after a Duke football win ... with a Schlafly raspberry brew.

ymm, beer

Pyramid Curve Ball Kolsch-(bottle)-pleasant, light, refreshing. A bit more golden than yellow with floral aroma and a light, lemon-grassy nose and taste. An enjoyable tailgate/pre-game beverage with some delicious chicken salad sammiches (sic), thanks to DitBD, and some Q with all the fixins. About 5% ABV.

Pyramid Hefeweizen-a nice summer, tailgate beverage. Slightly cloudy and unfiltered. Good representative of the style. Mild citrus (orange, perhaps). Minimal bitterness.

Tilly had some of this one. Care to share your thoughts?
    I don't remember all the bottles devildeac shared with me. But, I do remember this one, it was my favorite. A nice crisp taste that was very easy going down. Some beers have is a bitter after taste. Not the case with the Pyramid Hefeweizen. I highly recommend it.

Well, I don't feel so badly now about showing up at the tailgate with just beer. I couldn't decide between the Curve Ball and the Hefeweizen, so I brought both!

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Well, I don't feel so badly now about showing up at the tailgate with just beer. I couldn't decide between the Curve Ball and the Hefeweizen, so I brought both!
    And I obviously enjoyed both. Glad you could join us. I managed to cram one of each leftover into my cooler and will enjoy them again this week. OZZIE got a couple, too, but he's a bud light guy and not near as much a beer snob as I am. He did say that if he did not drink them, he'd bring them to another tailgate and I had 1st right of refusal.

ymm, beer

Kona Brewing Company-Longboard Island Lager-another nice tailgate beer. Light and refreshing on a warm, humid NC afternoon. A gently aromatic floral bouquet and taste with crystal malt (lighter than caramel malt). Nice combination with DitBD's chicken salad samwiches (sic) but a bit overwhelmed with the smokey Q, stew, slaw (a bit heavy on the onions) and potato salad with more egg than potato. About 5% ABV.

ymm, beer

Blue Moon-Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale-kinda early for fall seasonals but here goes. Amber and faintly aromatic and flavored with allspice, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Not much pumpkin in this one. Slight maltiness and minimal hoppiness. 5.6% ABV. I think I'll like the Schlafly's and Dogfish Head offerings better.

ymm, beer

Tommyknocker Pick Axe Pale Ale-Redemption out of the 12 pack I bought a couple weeks ago I thought was outdated. A friend had the 1st Pick Axe and I have enjoyed the 2nd tonight. An English style pale ale but pretty American,too. Mildly grapefruity, hoppy, aromatic. Noble hops. Minimal maltiness. Slightly cloudy-probably due to being in the bottle a few extra months but not sour/spoiled. About 5% ABV. I had this years ago in Colorado and liked it better but it also may have been on draft.

Thumbs up Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale

Kona Brewing Company-Longboard Island Lager-another nice tailgate beer. Light and refreshing on a warm, humid NC afternoon. A gently aromatic floral bouquet and taste with crystal malt (lighter than caramel malt).
    Kona Brewing Company -- Fire Rock Pale Ale (on tap) -- nice malty initial taste, followed by smooth taste, bitterness increasing, but then mild again at the end. The malt has a little touch of honey, if I have the taste correct. Mild citrus floral hoppiness in taste and aroma. Copper color, small head. A pleasant ale for the end of the summer. 5.9% ABV.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Kona Brewing Company -- Fire Rock Pale Ale (on tap) -- nice malty initial taste, followed by smooth taste, bitterness increasing, but then mild again at the end. The malt has a little touch of honey, if I have the taste correct. Mild citrus floral hoppiness in taste and aroma. Copper color, small head. A pleasant ale for the end of the summer. 5.9% ABV.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Sounds like:

1. We have a place for a beverage and snack after we arrive next Friday or on Saturday.
    2. I need to buy a 6er of this if it available at Harris Teeter, next to the lager.

The Decatur Beer Festival is Oct. 18. Atlanta Mafia, we clearly must rally to this occasion.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Decatur Beer Festival is Oct. 18. Atlanta Mafia, we clearly must rally to this occasion.
    Think you can con, err, talk Lavabe into making the jaunt from Kentucky for the occasion?

Think you can con, err, talk Lavabe into making the jaunt from Kentucky for the occasion?
    We could wake up, I'll fix eggs and we can watch Fight Club, and then we go to Beer Fest. It would be perfect.