Page 507 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 740745749750550650750850951755760710071507 ... LastLast
Results 10,121 to 10,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not today. Don't even think I want a nightcap after that @#$%show at WW today.
    Yeah, I may have to swear off Foothills juice after that bullpucky. *sigh*
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Santa Cruz Brown IPA #6-Epic Brewing

From their Exponential Series (I think) comes this hybrid ale. When we opened it, I thought it was a hoppy brown ale but should have read the label more closely. Which also would have helped me remember which edition this was as #6 sticks in my mind but it's from 2013, so I guess August West could have found a 3.5 year old bottle but it was also very warm and humid and my hydration status is just returning to near normal now .

Poured about a 6 ounce slightly chilled serving from a bomber into a pint glass. Nose was herbal and earthy with a bit of grapefruit and caramel. Tastes were pretty similar to the scents with a slight piney finish. Now that I did a bit more reading, it all makes sense calling this a hybrid between a brown ale and an IPA. I'll guess IBUs around 50 and the stat sheet below says ABV was 6.1% but I'll swear our bottle said 6.5% which makes me question my recall on which batch # it was . Made a nice pairing with our sombreros, smoked chicken quesadillas and enchiladas (beef, chicken and veggie). Thanks to AW for bringing the bottle which he thinks was about $7-8.

Release Number: 6
    ABV%: 6.10%
    Brew Date: 3/21/13
    Pack Date: 4/16/13
    Brewery: Salt Lake City
    Notes: Another release with the extremely popular addition of flaked oats.
    Malt: Maris Otter, 2-Row Chocolate Malt, Munich Malt, 2-Row Carapils, CaraMunich II, Flaked Oats.
    Boil: Horizon and Mosaic
    Hopback: Apollo
    Dry Hop: Mosaic and Apollo
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

British Pale Ale-Caledonian/Newcastle Brewing

Ozzie brought a mixed 12 pack and shared a bottle of this and the next one in our tasting session today.

This really looked/tasted/smelled more like an amber ale with a clear brown pour and biscuity/bready/malty/caramel-y scents/flavors and some mild Euro hop bitterness. I'll guess about 40 IBUs and ABV was listed at 5.8%. Good pairing with our sombreros and South of the Border theme today. Wouldn't want the 12 pack however.

Carley (or was it Caley?) Amber Ale-Caledonian/Newcastle Brewing

Poured a medium brown with more toasted biscuity/caramel-y notes than the pale ale and less earthy, herbal bitterness. I'll guess IBUs of 30 and the ABV was 6.5%. Another good pairing with our entrees but I'm not heading out to get a 12 pack.

Three words I'd never thought I'd hear from several different folks who will remain un-named (to protect the innocent) at tailgate yesterday:

"I've had enough."

Making a quick trip down to Oskar Blues with my aunt this afternoon. Death by Coconut is back on tap

Three words I'd never thought I'd hear from several different folks who will remain un-named (to protect the innocent) at tailgate yesterday:

"I've had enough."
    I'll have to take their place...

British Pale Ale-Caledonian/Newcastle Brewing

Ozzie brought a mixed 12 pack and shared a bottle of this and the next one in our tasting session today.

This really looked/tasted/smelled more like an amber ale with a clear brown pour and biscuity/bready/malty/caramel-y scents/flavors and some mild Euro hop bitterness. I'll guess about 40 IBUs and ABV was listed at 5.8%. Good pairing with our sombreros and South of the Border theme today. Wouldn't want the 12 pack however.
    A friend left me some of the Caledonian / Newcastle beer last fall.
    Not mincing any words, they were all terrible to the point of not being enjoyable / undrinkable.

Really a shame as while I can't recall the last Newcastle Brown I've had, there was a phase where Newcastle was a go to beer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Destihl Flanders Red

This may be the most sour beer I have ever had, on the edge of uncomfortably / undrinkably so.

Also sampled their smoked Gose, also dialed up to eleven on pucker factor (which was not a great mix with smokiness).

Wondering aloud now who would win most exaggerated beer styles, Destihl or Southern Tier.

Managed to pick up an Allagash Little Brett (passed on Sixteen Counties, may regret that), Ballast Point Watermelon Dorado, DFH Beer to Drink Music to(?), and a Wicked Weed Belgian Golden ale (name escapes me at the moment). Four nice singles to sample later.
    I wouldn't say "regret" because they list it as a year round beer but you did miss it yesterday (further proof that I do read and mostly remember your posts )...

Sixteen Counties-Allagash Brewing

Several of us (but not many) shared this caged and corked 750 ml bottle, wisely and generously contributed by August West at tailgate yesterday. Thanks!

Pour was a foamy, fizzy yellow-golden with the lacy head lingering. Nose was lemony/citrusy/grassy with similar tastes to accompany a bit of grapefruit, apple, pear and a pinch of black pepper. Listed as a Belgian-style ale, this is almost a hybrid style, resembling both a pale ale and a saison with the mild to moderate bitterness and its fruitiness. No IBUs listed but I'd estimate around 40 and the ABV is 7.3%. Very pleasant pairing wearing our sombreros and sampling various enchiladas, smoked chicken quesadillas and all the appropriate toppings. Add another brewery (if we haven't done that already) to the list of "I'm not sure I've ever had one of their beers that wasn't well done."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'll have to take their place...
    You are certainly welcome any time you are not working, in classes or preparing for classes.

Not mincing any words, they were all terrible to the point of not being enjoyable / undrinkable.

Really a shame as while I can't recall the last Newcastle Brown I've had, there was a phase where Newcastle was a go to beer for me.
    Well, we did have trouble finishing the 2 single bottles and there were 4-5 of us tasting...

I think I mentioned it somewhere up thread that some family members left a few bottles of Newcastle Brown in our fridge this summer and I gave all of them away except 1 so I could refresh my memory/palate of it. Pretty mediocre. There are plenty of other (far) better brown ales out there for consumption.

I think I mentioned it somewhere up thread that some family members left a few bottles of Newcastle Brown in our fridge this summer and I gave all of them away except 1 so I could refresh my memory/palate of it. Pretty mediocre. There are plenty of other (far) better brown ales out there for consumption.
    Pete's Wicked remains my favorite brown ale memory.

A really under-served style.

Pete's Wicked remains my favorite brown ale memory.

A really under-served style.
    Hadn't thought about Pete's in probably 2 decades.

Hadn't thought about Pete's in probably 2 decades.
    A quick look at Beer Advocate showed:

DFH Indian Brown (which I do not care for)
    DFH Palo Santo Marron (amazing)
    Rogue Hazelnut (been a long time)
    Sierra Nevada Tumbler (had forgotten about- enjoyed quite a bit the time or two I tried it)

As the top 4 by ratings.

Lone Rider Sweet Josie Brown in the top 50.
    Avery's Ellie Brown high up on the list, may need to try it.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler (had forgotten about- enjoyed quite a bit the time or two I tried it)

As the top 4 by ratings.

I agree with the DFH. Who the hell thought it would be a good thing to hop up a brown ale?

Fullsteam Son of Igor 2015

I was not able to get Igor (bourbon barrel aged) or Senor Igor (tequila barrel aged) last year.

Poured with a thin, fast dissipating head.

Smells like coffee and coca-cola.

Wow.
    Layers of coffee, cola and chocolate.

Dangerously drinkable at 10.5%.

Opened Son of Igor with low expectations even though the guys at Sam's raved and said they thought it was the best of the three last year.

If you find some, definitely worth picking up.

As the top 4 by ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I agree with the DFH. Who the hell thought it would be a good thing to hop up a brown ale?
    I haven't had a DFH Indian Brown Ale for a decade or more so I had forgotten about its hoptitude. They even call it a hybrid between an IPA and a brown ale on their website and actually refer to it as a brown IPA .

I heard from a semi-reliable source that mattman has some reviews from this afternoon that he's withholding from us...

Fullsteam Son of Igor 2015

I was not able to get Igor (bourbon barrel aged) or Senor Igor (tequila barrel aged) last year.

Poured with a thin, fast dissipating head.

Smells like coffee and coca-cola.

Wow.
    Layers of coffee, cola and chocolate.

Dangerously drinkable at 10.5%.

Opened Son of Igor with low expectations even though the guys at Sam's raved and said they thought it was the best of the three last year.

If you find some, definitely worth picking up.
    Had my Son of Igor recently and loved it. You know, it was recalled due to the bacteria in it causing problems, but since I missed the date for a free return, I just ended up drinking it. I got lucky on mine. Also had a Sweet Josie Brown the other day. Like I said, I am willing to meet at Fullsteam one day that I am in Derm to use up my credit for beer for you guys.😉 (Just thought of one caveat, however. I want my pack of Coco Loco in hand first!)

ricks