Page 505 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 540545549550350450550650751555560510051505 ... LastLast
Results 10,081 to 10,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Skull Crushing Ape-Devils Backbone Brewing

The marketing department earns their salaries again .

I'm not sure I've ever had this style of beer, a schwarz-weizen doppelbock. This was another shared 12 ounce bottle with the previously posted menu tonight. Pour was a dark brown (not black for you German scholars) with a tan, creamy head. This really tasted like an orange/dark chocolate/caramel dipped banana that had been passed very briefly through a smoke house. It's a lager, so despite its name/appearance, it was rather light on the palate with minimal bitterness at 20 IBUs and a hefty 8% ABV, making another nice pairing with our feast this evening. I think this was $9-10 for the 6er a couple weeks ago with my buck off Total Wine coupon. I gave a couple to family members so I'll still have a couple traders this weekend at the Devil-Deac game.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Skull Crushing Ape-Devils Backbone Brewing

The marketing department earns their salaries again .

I'm not sure I've ever had this style of beer, a schwarz-weizen doppelbock. This was another shared 12 ounce bottle with the previously posted menu tonight. Pour was a dark brown (not black for you German scholars) with a tan, creamy head. This really tasted like an orange/dark chocolate/caramel dipped banana that had been passed very briefly through a smoke house. It's a lager, so despite its name/appearance, it was rather light on the palate with minimal bitterness at 20 IBUs and a hefty 8% ABV, making another nice pairing with our feast this evening. I think this was $9-10 for the 6er a couple weeks ago with my buck off Total Wine coupon. I gave a couple to family members so I'll still have a couple traders this weekend at the Devil-Deac game.
    Forgot to include the ingredients:

Hops: Magmun
    Malts: Honey Malt, Cara-wheat, Chocolate Wheat, Pale Wheat, Pilsner Malt

Here Gose Nothin'-Destihl Brewing

Their Flanders Red is more sour but this one has quite a pucker, too. Pour was a straw color with a lot of fizz that lingered a few seconds, leaving a mildly "hand-harvested French grey sea ​salt"-y, spicy, Warhead-like lemon-lime concentrate in my pint glass from this 12 ounce can. IBUs a bit high for the style at 12 () and the ABV is 5%. Not sure what I'd pair this with, maybe some lump crabcakes and slaw or a sweet and sour Chinese entree. Definitely takes some adjustments on the tastebuds to drink this. I think it was $8-9 with my buck off Total Wine coupon this afternoon.

Transatlantique Kriek-New Belgium

Transatlantique Kriek-New Belgium

Another concoction from their Lips of Faith (LoF) series. I'll let their marketing department 'splain this brew to you and then add my tasting comments:

"In a never-ending quest to create new beers and defy category, New Belgium Brewing and Brewerij Boon of Belgium have partnered together again to create Transatlantique Kriek - a spontaneously fermented lambic ale made with Polish cherries.

This authentic kriek beer began life in the oaken vessels at Frank Boon's brewery in the Lembeek region of Belgium. After more than two years aging, Boon's offering shipped across the Atlantic and found its way to the intuitive palate of New Belgium's Brewmaster Peter Bouckaert. After much sampling and internal consultation, Peter and his brew staff created a full-bodied golden lager to round out the light-bodied kriek.

The cherry nose gives way to a pleasingly sour flash across the palate that rolls gently into a slightly sweet finish. Crisp, effervescent carbonation keeps the mouthfeel bright and delightfully tingly."

My thoughts:

Cherry champagne! Poured a clear, bright cherry soda (not black cherry) red with a small pink head. Very attractive appearance. Immediate olfactory sensations of kids cough syrup with a light garden bouquet. No medicinal tastes though as the sour cherry flavors came forward prominently with floral and very light honey-like qualities, too. I was surprised at its light body and effervescence, but, after reading the description of its origin/creation with the lager "base," the easy drinkability is not that surprising. IBU is a stunningly low 8 (no digits omitted) and the ABV of 8% is very sneaky and, a bit high for this style, and hidden well. I split this ~$8 bomber over two nights and would find it very pleasant as a pre-dinner ale with a plate of fresh fruit.

Attachment 3410

(old label)
    I had a bottle of this sour ale over the weekend, a day or so after drinking Wicked Weed's Myrtille. The description above from devildeac is a good one, and I enjoyed this beer quite a lot. But I thought the Myrtille was better, which says something, IMO.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I had a bottle of this sour ale over the weekend, a day or so after drinking Wicked Weed's Myrtille. The description above from devildeac is a good one, and I enjoyed this beer quite a lot. But I thought the Myrtille was better, which says something, IMO.
    Nice find. That was a June, 2013 post and I hadn't thought about that ale for 3 years until I saw it on the Total Wine shelf over this weekend and made some other selections instead, including a NB/DeKonnick collabeeration 4 pack. Now I'm going to have to ponder buying the WW beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    A Belgian style golden ale. Purchased a 750 ml corked-and-caged bottle at our local Lowes Foods. Pour a lovely gold with a generous off-white head. A nice yeastiness (if that's even a word), and some nice hints of spice. At 7.4% ABV, it was dangerously delicious with a taco salad tonight. If only I could find this beer on every corner, preferably at a taco truck ...
    Lowe's had PranQster on tap the other week. I thought the draft version was tasty as well.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Given your description I'll raise my hand for one.
    I forgot it for our last meeting but still have my last one saved for you.

Done. Final impressions:

Flanders Red-Destihl Brewing

From their Wild Sour series, which amazingly contains 11 beers according to their website. This one poured a brilliant ruby-amber color with a small, fizzy head. Aromas were "corked" or "turned" wines and sour cherries. Tastes were lactic acid, vinegar, Sour Patch cherry kids and Warheads. I haven't had a Rodenbach for probably a decade or more but this really reminded me of that ale. Amazingly, I didn't wonder "why" as fuse mentioned, probably because he had prepared me what to expect with his review, plus, the distant memory of the intense sourness of a Belgian Flanders red ale. IBUs are 15 and the ABV is 6.1%. This is worth a single purchase for anyone wishing to try the style (I think I spent about $10 for the 4 pack) but I doubt it'll be added to your favorite list. I'll return to Total Wine later this week and buy a single Rodenbach and probably do a side-by-side, either by myself or with our son who we'll be visiting next weekend. I think it's that authentic/close to the traditional Belgian offering.

This is why this thread is soooo good. I'd have likely never tried this without fuse's recent review.
    Done. Again.

Rodenbach-Brouweriij Rodenbach (or something like that)

Now owned by Palm Brewery.

The classic (original?) Belgian red/brown/sour ale, brewed since 1821. Poured from a $2.69 330 ml bottle (dated 9/24/16 so we "enjoyed by" the suggested date) and divided into 2 "cocktail" glasses with our son last PM, along with the Destihl as threatened, err, promised last month. The Rodenbach is a blend of old/aged on oak ale and young/un-aged ale in a 25%/75% fashion. Color was a mildly murky, reddish-brown with next to no head. Aromas were red wine, vinegar and tart cherries with tastes of the same, smoothed a bit with some oaky/woody flavors. Their website states the pH at 3.4 (I've never seen beer pH measurements before ) but no IBUs so I'll guess 20 as it was more sour and winey than bitter. ABV is 5.2%. Tough to figure out a pairing with this. Mussels are the obvious recommendation here but I don't like them, so I'll go with sauerbraten or shrimp diavolo.

Now, the comparison. As expected, fuse was on the money as I expected with the Destihl being significantly more sour (there is no sourness scale for comparisons that I'm aware of like the AA/Lovibond/SRM/IBU/ABV numbers) than the Rodenbach which almost seemed tame with its oaky/winey characteristics vs the very tart cherry/Sour Patch/Warheads type sour of the Destihl.

I've got one can of the Destihl left and would be happy to trade at tailgate but, if I have no takers, I'll likely try to pair it some night with a mixed green salad with bleu cheese crumbles, lots of berries, candied pecans, craisins and a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Do we need to start a Ymm, Soap thread?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...100156332.html

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...view/89919048/

Make that 10 new Asheville breweries.

Do we need to start a Ymm, Soap thread?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...100156332.html

Guess you don't read my posts

A bit pricey, the scents I have tried have been pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Guess you don't read my posts

A bit pricey, the scents I have tried have been pretty amazing.
    I remembered you had posted about Raleigh Brewery and soaps but guess I got a bit lazy about the search feature. Sorry.

We have an almost non-beer drinker in our tailgate crowd so when we sample something like Creme Brulee or Blushing Monk, we'll always have her olfactory lobe evaluate our pours and whether they'd make a good candle scent or not. And, to her great credit, she has sampled some dark, dark aromatic porters and stouts and some fruit beers and has posted favorably about them and that's not just crazietalk.

From 10/25/14 (for comparison purposes-see next post in about 30 minutes):

Liquid Bliss-Terrapin Beer Company

This is the second chocolate peanut butter porter I've tasted with the first being from DuClaw brewing. The pour was dark brown with a small, tan head that lingered for a bit. Not surprisingly, the nose was Jif (or Skippy or Peter Pan), Hershey's with a wafting of Starbucks (or Caribou). Tastes were nutty, chocolate-y and coffee-like, the latter of which is fairly typical for a porter. Best served slightly chilled in a pint glass, with or without a chocolate chip cookie. IBUs listed at 23 and the ABV was 6.1%. Hey, Chuck, here are the ingredients from their web site:

Hops: US Golding
    Malts: 2-Row Pale, Wheat, Crystal 85, Crystal 120, Chocolate Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt
    Other: Peanut Butter, Boiled GA Peanuts, Olive & Sinclair Cocoa Nibs

This was their Side Project volume 18. What else might you expect from a Georgia brewery beside this and some variation of a peach ale? Cool label, too.

http://terrapinbeer.com/wp-content/u...-S-300x300.jpg

The only good terrapin is a :

TWD-Shirt-Polaroid-.jpg

For Pete's Sake-DuClaw Brewing

An imperial version of this (from 12/3/13):

Sweet Baby Jesus-DuClaw Brewing

Quite the name (though I'd have probably picked another) for this chocolate peanut butter porter. A shout out to fuse for his selection of this as one of his traders last month. It poured a dark, dark brown with a thick, foamy head. Aroma and tastes were Reese's peanut butter cups with a trace of espresso. Six grains and two hop varieties weigh in at an ABV of 6.5% and IBU of 53, both a bit high for the style but very pleasant. Dessert beer all the way. This is worth a 4 pack or 6er to do some bartering as I'm not sure I could drink more than a couple of these during the fall/winter seasons but definitely worth tasting.

A bit more viscous with a dramatically smaller head, a few less IBUs (a tad surprising but really not perceptible) at 45 and a lot more booze at 9% ABV. Serve up with a few dark chocolate covered raisins, some caramel-drizzled brownies or in a snifter by itself for a liquid dessert.

Shout out to August West for this as a trader last Saturday.

This is the second chocolate peanut butter porter I've tasted with the first being from DuClaw brewing. The pour was dark brown with a small, tan head that lingered for a bit. Not surprisingly, the nose was Jif (or Skippy or Peter Pan), Hershey's with a wafting of Starbucks (or Caribou). Tastes were nutty, chocolate-y and coffee-like, the latter of which is fairly typical for a porter. Best served slightly chilled in a pint glass, with or without a chocolate chip cookie. IBUs listed at 23 and the ABV was 6.1%. Hey, Chuck, here are the ingredients from their web site:

Malts: 2-Row Pale, Wheat, Crystal 85, Crystal 120, Chocolate Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt

This was their Side Project volume 18. What else might you expect from a Georgia brewery beside this and some variation of a peach ale? Cool label, too.

Forgot to credit August West for this as a trader at the NCCU tailgate.

So, did you like it or not?

We have some in the fridge, as Mrs. ricks likes that one a lot.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    So, did you like it or not?

We have some in the fridge, as Mrs. ricks likes that one a lot.

ricks
    Yes, I liked it in 2014 and again last PM. For Pete's Sake was a bit better.

You know the evolution of beer distribution and variety in America over the last 6 years has been great. 6 years ago if I wanted beer and went into a gas station all I would find was your generic horse piss, Yuengling or if you were lucky and had a nice gas station you could grab Sam Adams. Now it doesn't seem to matter which gas station I go to but I always have at least 1 option that isn't terrible and many have excellent options.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Can I be blunt?

Oskar Blues Pinner straight from the can tonight.

Go Panthers.

Keep Pounding!