Page 500 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 40045049049849950050150251055060010001500 ... LastLast
Results 9,981 to 10,000 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Cold Brew-Saranac Brewery

Red Oak meets Starbucks/Caribou. It's an amber lager with coffee added. Aroma is a light to medium roast coffee. Color is medium amber. Head is small. Tastes are milk chocolate covered light caramel squares with a coffee bean inside. Pair with burgers, ribs and pulled pig. IBUs are 20 and ABV is 5.2%. Not quite "pass the cream and sugar," please, and not as good as Coffee Is for Closers or a coffee porter/stout, but a pleasant surprise and finish to my August beer club 4 pack.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Checkin' in

Man, y'all have been drinking (and writing about) a lot of beer. I wish I could say the same. I suppose I missed some pretty good beers (and beer reviews) in the past 6,000 posts or so, but glad to see folks are carrying on and sharing the beer love.

Before my kids made such a ruckus that we had to haul both of them out of the restaurant (not a frequent occurrence, most of the time they're pretty chill), I did get to enjoy half of a Boundary Bay Brewery amber ale that was quite tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So brewing laws (abv limits) in Utah. Who can explain them? I've read different things on the Internet, but I think the abv limit (4.5%?) Only applies to what can be sold in non liquor stores. Am I right?

Sounds like Utah needs to "Pop the Cap" on those outdated rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    3.2% ABV was the ceiling for beer sold in grocery stores; wine still is not sold in grocery stores, but the ABV has been raised (because, for example, Polygamy Porter is 6.0% and I saw six-packs at Smith's).
    So, it turns out I'm wrong. It still is 3.2% alcohol by weight (translated to 4.0% ABV) for "beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license, such as taverns, beer bars and some restaurants." The regular Polygamy Porter (which I saw in the grocery store) is 4.0% ABV; it's the Nitro (which I saw at the brewery) that's 6.0% ABV.

So, although every day things change, basically they stay the same . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Edinbrüe-Brüeprint Brewing

Not the original Edinbrue, nor the BBA Edinbrue but this version of their Scotch Ale was aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with Brettanomyces. So we have a dark amber ale with some ruby tinges that smells quite vinous with a whiff of vinegar and Bing cherries and tastes like a full-bodied, red wine that has been mixed with a generous aliquot of tart and sour cherry soda while you're nibbling on milk chocolate-covered toffee squares. Truly an outstanding ale that fuse was kind enough to search out a few weeks ago from his neighborhood brewery that set me back about $8 for a 500 ml bottle. I had 250 ml last PM and am letting the remaining portion warm a bit on the counter downstairs as I sip a Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex Pale Ale. The Edinbrue is probably about 30 IBUs and the ABV is a truly dangerous 9.5%. Forget pairing this with anything and sip by itself. (Well, if you insist, I guess I'd place this on the table with a medium rare 6 ounce filet mignon, a twice-baked or stuffed potato and some grilled asparagus.)

Double thanks for procuring that second bottle for me! I believe I'll cellar that one for 6-12 months.

Decided to give Raleigh Beer Soapery a try.

If you like fruit, the "peaches" and "moxie" scents are amazing.

It's a little spendy for soap and still a fun purchase.

Lots of Lost Province, Wicked Weed and Foothills Clawhammer last night.

Guest tasting at Peabody's was D9 from Johnston County.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Lots of Lost Province, Wicked Weed and Foothills Clawhammer last night.

Guest tasting at Peabody's was D9 from Johnston County.
    I thought Clawhammer was from Highland?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I thought Clawhammer was from Highland?
    Good catch, fuzzy morning pre coffee typo

Breakfast (Well, not really as I had side dishes of scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. ):

I also shared two 4 beer samplers (4-5 oz each) with our son.

His:

Peach Cider-Ciderboys

Well, it's got alcohol and we don't have a Ymm, Cider thread .

Peach beer! Lotsa peach up front and with tasting. A mimosa with apple juice and peach schnapps!

Stiff Arm-Land Grant Brewing

A piney-resiny IPA. Clear, yellow pour with a pine/resin lean. Reasonable balance with ABV of 6.7% and estimated IBUs of 60. Nice pairing with Breakfast #2 at Marshall's in Columbus, OH. Paging Mike Corey.

Illusive Traveler Shandy

Not sure if this is the brewery, name or both.

I'm not a big shandy fan (Ycch, Leinienkugel's) but this was grapefruity and orangey and made a nice breakfast beverage at 4.4% and a guesstimated IBUs of 10. y

Hey dd, maybe you could get a brewer from a well-known brewery to post #10,000. I somehow hit the 80 millionth when DBR used to keep tally, but I'm not going after this one, since I am not even an average contributor.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Hey dd, maybe you could get a brewer from a well-known brewery to post #10,000. I somehow hit the 80 millionth when DBR used to keep tally, but I'm not going after this one, since I am not even an average contributor.

ricks
    After today's binge, err, flurry, I think I've got it covered.

My IPA breakfast (with sides of scrambled eggs, sausage patties and wheat toast):

White Rajah-Brew Kettle

Slightly cloudy, yellow-orange color in a nicely balanced IPA with a mixture of pine/resin and grapefruity notes. I'll guess IBUs around 60 and ABV listed at 6.8%.

Switchblade-Four String

Third beer of my morning IPA sampler.

Yellow straw color and a lot more fruity than the White Rajah. Aromas and tastes of guava and papaya with a bit of pineapple. No IBUs listed so I'll guess a bit lower than the prior post at about 50. ABV was 6.5%.

Mystic Mama-Jackie O's

Light orange color and resembled the first IPA of the 4 on my sampler with lots of piney/resiny and almost soapy notes (though I wouldn't bathe/shower with it like fuse is gonna do with his Raleigh Brewing soaps ) with a bit of citrus. I thought this was likely a bit higher on the bitterness scale, perhaps around 70 with an ABV of 7%.

Citra Hero-Revolution

I should have researched all these beverages/brewers a bit more so I'll have to do that next time we visit Columbus.

This was my favorite of the samples. Orange-yellow with tropical aromas and tastes of mango, guava, papaya, pineapple, orange and a bit of caramel/light honey sweetness. Well-balanced IPA with ABV at 7.5% and estimated IBUs of 60-70. I'd order a pint of this if I found on draft.

Howling Moon-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Part of another sampler, this time for lunch . I split this 5 beer line-up ($12) with our son. When you read the ABVs, you'll understand

One of their entries into the DIPA category. Clean, light yellow hue with lots of fresh tropical fruit juiciness and honey and caramel notes. Almost sticky and oily. I'll venture 80 IBUs here and the ABV was 10% on the draft list and the booze was pretty apparent.

Coconut Howling Moon-Wolf's Ridge

Their base recipe as in the prior post but loaded with coconut flavors, both on sniffing and sipping. I thought Coco Lopez . The tasting impressions from the prior post are similar but a bit subdued compared to the coconut presence, which was not over-powering but made it our #5 ranked beverage during this round. An interesting novelty DIPA but not one I'd re-visit.

Piston is baaaaaaak at Burial. It is now called Griddle because they are going to can it and there is a copyright problem. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

ricks

No review-just some comments.

I thought this might be appropriate for 10K:

One of my favorite versions of one of my favorite songs. After all, we've got 10,000 posts, we're all kinda/sorta maniacs and most beer is consumed at night, right?

I couldn't find this to drink and review as it was brewed in 2010 apparently and I didn't think to plan this far in advance.

beer_134087.jpg

So, many thanks to DevilAlumna for starting the thread almost 9 years ago. Also, many, many thanks to all the participants here, both inactive (please come back and taste/post again!) and active contributors who have traded/shared/given/hunted/purchased many (mostly) fine ales for me during this time and educated/entertained/enlightened me with their insightful/informed contributions to the thread.
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-27-2016 at 10:23 PM.