Page 499 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3994494894974984995005015095495999991499 ... LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,980 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Tangier-Southern Tier Brewing Company

WTH? A session IPA? From Southern Tier? Must be a mistake?!?!

Nope. A non-extreme beer from the brewers of Choklat, Choklat Oranj, Mokah and Creme Brulee. To be fair, they brew a lot of session, seasonal and standard brews so I was happy to see this as a single in my 4 pack of beer-of-the-month club from a local package shop. Poured a slightly hazy orange with a citrus nose. Much like the Big Squeeze, I think I'd have preferred tangerine juice instead of peel, but there was a bit of citrusy sweetness coupled with a bit more than expected bitterness from 3 unnamed hops plus the rindiness. Four unnamed malts lend to a bit of caramel sweetness. No IBUs listed but I'll venture 40-50 and the ABV is sessionable as advertised/expected at 4.6%. I think it'd be tasty with some orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken/pork/shrimp or a fruity salsafied light seafood dish. Glad to taste but wouldn't buy a 6er.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Numero Uno Agave Cerveza-Flying Dog Brewery

According to their website, this was originally brewed/released in 2014 as one of their brewhouse rarities as a tribute to easy-drinking south-of-the border lagers. Looked like a light lager in my pint glass with a small, fizzy head. Smelled and tasted like a lemon-lime shandy and actually rather refreshing on yet another hot, humid NC summer night. And I'm not really a shandy fan. Grains: Bon Munich () and flaked maize (ole!). Hops: Hallertau and Saaz. IBU listed at 20 and ABV is 4.9%. This would be pleasant with a plate of boiled shrimp and a game of corn hole on your lawn/in your driveway. Single 12 ounce can that was part of my beer-of-the-month 4 pack for August. I wouldn't have selected this off the shelf from my local craft beer store but happy to have tried it.

More Utah Beer

Wasatch Brewing Apricot Hefeweizen: Surprisingly, the Beer-o-the-Trip so far. But I like apricots. Really refreshing on a fairly hot summer afternoon.

Uinta 801 Pilsener: A decent Pils, but with a bitter aftertaste (which is my only real complaint about the Cutthroat pale ale).

Wasatch Brewing Snap Dragon IPA: Smells wonderful. Taste is less hoppy on the palate than I like from an IPA.

I also picked up a 25-ounce bottle of Squatters' Outer Darkness Russian Imperial Stout. That will travel home with me, for wintertime.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Utah IPA's

An IPA day.

Uinta Trader Session IPA: Nicely quaffable. Not overly hopped. Very consistent with the style.

Park City Brewing's Last Pitch IPA: More traditional. A nice golden color with generous off-white head. Balanced bitterness, and easy-drinking at 4.0% ABV. Almost in compliance with Utah liquor laws of my youth.

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA: The best of the bunch. Packed a real IPA punch to it. Was awesome with a jerk chicken torta sandwich while watching golfers struggle with the 13th hole of Park City Golf Club.

White Thai-Westbrook Brewing Company

Their take on the traditional Belgian witbier, only they substituted lemongrass, ginger root and Sorachi Ace hops for the typical orange peel and coriander. They ended up with a cloudy, straw-yellow hue with a fizzy, white head with a modest amount of lacing. Smells like a mild lemon candy (not sour, not sweet) and tastes like an orangeade-lemonade mash-up with a splash of pear juice and a pinch of white pepper. Or, think about it as a saison-witbier cocktail. Very light on the palate at 16 IBUs and light on the liver with the ABV at 5% . Maybe serve with a plate of fresh fruit or a Panko-crusted tilapia. A single included in my 4 pack for my August beer-of-the-month club from Bottle Revolution. I'd have another one of these.
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-22-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Corrected because fuse embarrASSed me

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    White Thai-Westbrook Brewing Company

Their take on the traditional Belgian witbier, only they substituted lemongrass, ginger toot and Sorachi Ace hops for the typical orange peel and coriander. They ended up with a cloudy, straw-yellow hue with a fizzy, white head with a modest amount of lacing. Smells like a mild lemon candy (not sour, not sweet) and tastes like an orangeade-lemonade mash-up with a splash of pear juice and a pinch of white pepper. Or, think about it as a saison-witbier cocktail. Very light on the palate at 16 IBUs and light on the liver with the ABV at 5% . Maybe serve with a plate of fresh fruit or a Panko-crusted tilapia. A single included in my 4 pack for my August beer-of-the-month club from Bottle Revolution. I'd have another one of these.
    In best Beavis and Butthead imitation:

"You said ginger toot. Heh heh heh heh heh heh....hehehheheheheh...hehehehehehehehehe"

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    An IPA day.

Uinta Trader Session IPA: Nicely quaffable. Not overly hopped. Very consistent with the style.

Park City Brewing's Last Pitch IPA: More traditional. A nice golden color with generous off-white head. Balanced bitterness, and easy-drinking at 4.0% ABV. Almost in compliance with Utah liquor laws of my youth.

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA: The best of the bunch. Packed a real IPA punch to it. Was awesome with a jerk chicken torta sandwich while watching golfers struggle with the 13th hole of Park City Golf Club.
    Ha! I thought that last one sounded familiar. From 4/7/13:

Hop Rising-Squatters Brewing

Further disproving the old wives' tale that no good beer is brewed in Utah, this potent offering checks in with 75 IBU and 9% ABV. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle last night with dinner, it was a golden-orange and had pungent aromas and tastes of citrus and resin with a pretty nicely balanced malty backbone. As most double IPAs do, this one would pair nicely with hot and spicy dishes.

What do they say about great palates, err, minds?

Utah liquor laws-LOL. They're better now.

Ricks68 was kind enough to deliver a couple brews from Innovation to my work the other day. I'll try and drink them tomorrow and add to the post/page count.

So brewing laws (abv limits) in Utah. Who can explain them? I've read different things on the Internet, but I think the abv limit (4.5%?) Only applies to what can be sold in non liquor stores. Am I right?

Sounds like Utah needs to "Pop the Cap" on those outdated rules.

Wasatch Brewing Apricot Hefeweizen: Surprisingly, the Beer-o-the-Trip so far. But I like apricots. Really refreshing on a fairly hot summer afternoon.

Uinta 801 Pilsener: A decent Pils, but with a bitter aftertaste (which is my only real complaint about the Cutthroat pale ale).

Wasatch Brewing Snap Dragon IPA: Smells wonderful. Taste is less hoppy on the palate than I like from an IPA.

I also picked up a 25-ounce bottle of Squatters' Outer Darkness Russian Imperial Stout. That will travel home with me, for wintertime.
    I've got a review of Outer Darkness sequestered away that I'll piggyback on to yours after you enjoy it this winter.

See if you can sample The Devastator and Tilted Smile, too...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So brewing laws (abv limits) in Utah. Who can explain them? I've read different things on the Internet, but I think the abv limit (4.5%?) Only applies to what can be sold in non liquor stores. Am I right?

Sounds like Utah needs to "Pop the Cap" on those outdated rules.
    I am no expert, and rely mostly on the folklore circulating when I was growing up. The most restrictive laws concerned liquor. Outside of state-run stores, one used to have to join a local "club" (even if only for a "nightly membership") to partake without food. In restaurants, a food order was required each time a drink was ordered. 3.2% ABV was the ceiling for beer sold in grocery stores; wine still is not sold in grocery stores, but the ABV has been raised (because, for example, Polygamy Porter is 6.0% and I saw six-packs at Smith's).

There are still some vestiges -- such as the bartender at High West Distillery telling me yesterday that he could only do my tasting flight in two tasters at a time because of state law -- but things are improving (unless you like the "good old days," in which case they are becoming more sinful).

I've got a review of Outer Darkness sequestered away that I'll piggyback on to yours after you enjoy it this winter.

See if you can sample The Devastator and Tilted Smile, too...
    Saw Devastator on the menu at Wasatch, but had to make some tough choices. Didn't see any Tilted Smile. Next trip ...

Red Oak Tours?

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone has been on the tour at Red Oak in Greensboro? I drive by it when I visit my parents and wonder if it's worth the stop if I get there at the proper time...

I am no expert, and rely mostly on the folklore circulating when I was growing up. The most restrictive laws concerned liquor. Outside of state-run stores, one used to have to join a local "club" (even if only for a "nightly membership") to partake without food. In restaurants, a food order was required each time a drink was ordered. 3.2% ABV was the ceiling for beer sold in grocery stores; wine still is not sold in grocery stores, but the ABV has been raised (because, for example, Polygamy Porter is 6.0% and I saw six-packs at Smith's).

There are still some vestiges -- such as the bartender at High West Distillery telling me yesterday that he could only do my tasting flight in two tasters at a time because of state law -- but things are improving (unless you like the "good old days," in which case they are becoming more sinful).
    We went to a medical meeting (cough) at Snowbird about 20 years ago and that's pretty much in line with what I recall.

We went to a medical meeting (cough) at Snowbird about 20 years ago and that's pretty much in line with what I recall.
    Plus, I believe all the liquor had to be kept behind a black curtain. As if seeing those pretty bottles with that glorious-looking nectar inside them would be extra-tempting ....

Saw Devastator on the menu at Wasatch, but had to make some tough choices. Didn't see any Tilted Smile. Next trip ...
    Uinta has a pretty good distribution in the Triangle area and I'd guess in the Triad, too, so you might find a 750 ml bottle at Stella or another W-S craft beer store. If you like licorice-flavored RIS, Labyrinth should be in your snifter. I didn't like it that much. Don't like black licorice much. Hope it was a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone has been on the tour at Red Oak in Greensboro? I drive by it when I visit my parents and wonder if it's worth the stop if I get there at the proper time...
    I've never been, nor have any family members or friends so I can't help you there.

Uinta has a pretty good distribution in the Triangle area and I'd guess in the Triad, too, so you might find a 750 ml bottle at Stella or another W-S craft beer store. If you like licorice-flavored RIS, Labyrinth should be in your snifter. I didn't like it that much. Don't like black licorice much. Hope it was a great trip.
    I have seen a lot of Uinta offerings in the Triad, although never Tilted Smile. I'll keep an eye out for it. Devastator is a Wasatch offering, and I have never seen their stuff distributed in NC.

I have seen a lot of Uinta offerings in the Triad, although never Tilted Smile. I'll keep an eye out for it. Devastator is a Wasatch offering, and I have never seen their stuff distributed in NC.
    Nor have I ever seen Wasatch (or Squatters) in NC. Epic Brewing is a common sighting here, too. Brainless on (fruit name here), Low ABV Epic, Big Bad Baptist being a few I've seen in local shops.

Saint Arnold Brewing Santo Black Kolsch

Tried a bottle on a layover in Houston, as my other choice was the Lawnmower offering that I have had a couple of times before. I had to use the Google to discern the style, as it tasted like a porter. From the brewer:

"Santo is a black Kölsch, which technically doesn’t exist as a style, but this is as close as we can come to describing it. Essentially it is brewed using a Kölsch recipe with the addition of Munich and black malt. It is light bodied and floral yet with a distinct dark malt flavor. Our goal was to create a dark yet refreshing beer that would pair perfectly with a plate of enchiladas."

Fairly refreshing for a beer that dark. I'd try it again.