Page 493 of 1392 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495503543593993 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,860 of 27840

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #9841
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem

    Wayward Brews

    Tap house in the very-south end of Forsyth County. Also brews tea and coffee. Beer comments:

    (1) Lonerider is the clear winner. The Preacher saison was awesome, and the Saloon Pilsner a close second.

    (2) Granite Falls Castle Stormer Scottish ale is quite nice. I want to compare it with the Southern Pines Malty by Nature now.

    (3) Gibbs Hundred Melody of Moods wheat beer: Ycch. No flavor at all.

    (4) AMB coffee IPA: Interesting. It's their Longleaf IPA brewed on coffee beans. Not a black IPA, like I expected. Probably not for everyone, but I was intrigued.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 08-13-2016 at 04:13 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #9842
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Great Lakes Blackout Stout. More than 2 and you black out. Supposedly their Lake Erie Monster is even more potent. Also recommended are Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald. There are sports bars in the Akron Canton airport that serve Great Lakes. Sadly not shipped to Atlanta.

  3. #9843
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Great Lakes Blackout Stout. More than 2 and you black out. Supposedly their Lake Erie Monster is even more potent. Also recommended are Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald. There are sports bars in the Akron Canton airport that serve Great Lakes. Sadly not shipped to Atlanta.
    I think Lake Erie Monster is 9-9.5% ABV. Chill Wave IIPA is also highly recommended at same ABV. They do distribute to NC and have for several years. Sorry to hear no availability in Atlanta. Don't think I've ever had a Great Lakes beer I did't like. Even toured their brewery several years ago after we visited the R&R HoF. Tour was free but Ohio law said they can't give away free samples so they sold 12 ounce bottles in their "tasting" room for $0.25 each .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #9844
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Devildeac Gose wild at Total Wine tonight. More later.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  5. #9845
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Just Gose to show ya, I wasn't kidding.

    Calimost-Wicked Weed Brewing Company

    Drink regional! Drink fresh!

    Brewed on 8/3/16 and bought at Total Wine today for $10 for the 4 pack, this Gose is brewed with grapefruit, honey and the usual sea salt but no mention of coriander. Poured a hazy, straw hue with a thin head that disappeared faster than a double cheeseburger at Sean May's training table. Smelled like salt, tasted like salt (Mediterranean sea salt, of course ) with a hint of tart grapefruit and an even more subtle sweetness from the honey, counterbalancing the saltiness and the mild inherent sourness of this particular style. My IBU meter guesses about 10 or less and the ABV on the bottle is 4.1%.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #9846
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Up next: Southern Tier (over)does it again. An imperial Gose! You can't be serious?!?!

    More tomorrow.

    I suppose one could say this beer Gose overboard, but you won't catch me making that bad pun .
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-13-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #9847
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think Lake Erie Monster is 9-9.5% ABV. Chill Wave IIPA is also highly recommended at same ABV. They do distribute to NC and have for several years. Sorry to hear no availability in Atlanta. Don't think I've ever had a Great Lakes beer I did't like. Even toured their brewery several years ago after we visited the R&R HoF. Tour was free but Ohio law said they can't give away free samples so they sold 12 ounce bottles in their "tasting" room for $0.25 each .
    I'm impressed that you went to the rest and relaxation hall of fame. I bet they had good beers there. Probably good music as well. ��

  8. #9848
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm impressed that you went to the rest and relaxation hall of fame. I bet they had good beers there. Probably good music as well. ��

    LMAO. Not sure they had any beer there but the Great Lakes Brewery and Restaurant were about 3 miles away and I got mighty thirsty and hungry looking at all those guitars and listening to R&R music and watching short concert videos.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  9. #9849
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Up next: Southern Tier (over)does it again. An imperial Gose! You can't be serious?!?!

    More tomorrow.

    I suppose one could say this beer Gose overboard, but you won't catch me making that bad pun.
    I warned y'all:

    Cherry Gose-Southern Tier Brewing

    This:

    JBCherrySoda-Jelly-Belly-Soda-Sour-Cherry-small.jpg


    With a shot of vodka. Maybe 2 shots. And a couple pinches of salt. Pink Himalayan sea salt, of course .

    Appearance: pink zinfandel
    Aroma: cherry soda and the Atlantic Ocean
    Mouthfeel: spritzy
    Tastes: salty, tart/sour cherries; maybe some lemon-lime soda/a bit of sweetness
    Grains: 3 types of malts (not specified); "large portion of wheat" (the farm crop, not the DBR poster )
    Hops: none listed but I'd guess at least a very small amount (see IBU below)
    Adjuncts: NaCl, tart cherry juice, coriander
    Yeast: house ale strain and Lactobacillus buchneri
    IBU: 7 (no, I didn't leave out a 2nd digit )
    ABV: 8.3% (again, no typo)

    More thoughts: As I suggested last PM, and fuse has mentioned a few times before, Southern Tier brews a number of "extreme" beers like Choklat, Mokah, Pumking, Warlock and, of course, Creme Brulee. This is no exception. 8.3% ABV? For a Gose? You can't be serious?!?!


    This style is an acquired taste and I'm still in the acquisition mode . Certainly worth a single and I'm not unhappy having spent about $10 for the 4 pack at Total Wine yesterday as now I have a couple to gift/trade and one more to taste later this month.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #9850
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Here's the much more eloquent Southern Tier description of ^^^^^^:

    "New York State ranks 4th for tart cherry production in the US, with the majority of the acreage located in four Western New York Counties located about 2 hours from our brewery. We source our tart cherry juice from a grower in Niagara County on the shores of Lake Ontario where the glaciated soils and lake-tempered northern climate are ideal for growing tart cherries. Tart cherries are known as a “super food” and their price reflects this moniker. They have one of the highest levels of antioxidants of any food, a truly brilliant red color, and a clean, bright, juicy aroma and flavor that’s accentuated by their natural acidity.

    We maintain a culture of Lactobacillus buchneri that is used to sour wort over three days, starting at a pH of 5.5 and finishing around 3.4. After souring is complete, the wort is boiled, hopped, spiced, cooled, and pitched with our house ale strain of yeast. After roughly 24 hours of fermentation, the tart cherry concentrate is added directly to the fermentation vessel. Exactly when the cherry juice is added is a delicate balancing act of adding the juice (more sugar) early enough so that the fermentation will complete, but late enough that the delicate flavors, aromas, and colors of the juice are preserved as much as possible. It would be a travesty to add such beautiful and rare juice to hot wort, don’t you think?

    The finished beer is a striking, lustful shade of red with a persistent white head and durable lacing thanks to the large portion of wheat in the grist. The nose is defined by equal parts bright lactic acidity and cherry notes with a hint of coriander. On the palate, the strong lactic acidity is accentuated by the natural tartness of the cherry juice. Quantitatively, this beer is quite sweet, but we find that this level of residual sweetness is just enough to balance the acidity and that the overall perception of the beer is actually quite dry. The beer finishes very clean and in conjunction with the salt in the finish, it definitely makes you want to come back for more.

    Food Pairings: Sausages..."

    Wait, maybe this should be here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...-Sausage-Party) and we could have a party with this.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  11. #9851
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Tonight, I take on Destihl...

    My palate is quivering .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  12. #9852
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I warned y'all:

    Cherry Gose-Southern Tier Brewing

    This:

    JBCherrySoda-Jelly-Belly-Soda-Sour-Cherry-small.jpg


    With a shot of vodka. Maybe 2 shots. And a couple pinches of salt. Pink Himalayan sea salt, of course .

    Appearance: pink zinfandel
    Aroma: cherry soda and the Atlantic Ocean
    Mouthfeel: spritzy
    Tastes: salty, tart/sour cherries; maybe some lemon-lime soda/a bit of sweetness
    Grains: 3 types of malts (not specified); "large portion of wheat" (the farm crop, not the DBR poster )
    Hops: none listed but I'd guess at least a very small amount (see IBU below)
    Adjuncts: NaCl, tart cherry juice, coriander
    Yeast: house ale strain and Lactobacillus buchneri
    IBU: 7 (no, I didn't leave out a 2nd digit )
    ABV: 8.3% (again, no typo)

    More thoughts: As I suggested last PM, and fuse has mentioned a few times before, Southern Tier brews a number of "extreme" beers like Choklat, Mokah, Pumking, Warlock and, of course, Creme Brulee. This is no exception. 8.3% ABV? For a Gose? You can't be serious?!?!


    This style is an acquired taste and I'm still in the acquisition mode . Certainly worth a single and I'm not unhappy having spent about $10 for the 4 pack at Total Wine yesterday as now I have a couple to gift/trade and one more to taste later this month.
    Given your description I'll raise my hand for one.

  13. #9853
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Given your description I'll raise my hand for one.
    This is the beer thread.

  14. #9854
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tonight, I take on Destihl...

    My palate is quivering .
    If you can finish a full 12oz can of the Flanders Red without wondering why you are doing this to yourself, I will be impressed.

  15. #9855
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Given your description I'll raise my hand for one.
    Thought I might be putting your name on one .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  16. #9856
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    This is the beer thread.
    We've reviewed some unusual brews/styles here: goses (sp?), radlers, graetzers, sours, wheat wines, meads, braggots and probably a couple others I can't recall with some interesting discussions, too. Of course, you'll find all of the usual suspects, too, from wheats and pale ales to imperial porters/stouts and a bunch of barrel-aged variations.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  17. #9857
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you can finish a full 12oz can of the Flanders Red without wondering why you are doing this to yourself, I will be impressed.
    That's the one. I'll let you know in a few hours.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #9858
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Pssst. The Presidential Race thread is locked again. Keep sipping and typing, folks.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  19. #9859
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I warned y'all:

    Cherry Gose-Southern Tier Brewing

    This:

    JBCherrySoda-Jelly-Belly-Soda-Sour-Cherry-small.jpg


    With a shot of vodka. Maybe 2 shots. And a couple pinches of salt. Pink Himalayan sea salt, of course .

    Appearance: pink zinfandel
    Aroma: cherry soda and the Atlantic Ocean
    Mouthfeel: spritzy
    Tastes: salty, tart/sour cherries; maybe some lemon-lime soda/a bit of sweetness
    Grains: 3 types of malts (not specified); "large portion of wheat" (the farm crop, not the DBR poster )
    Hops: none listed but I'd guess at least a very small amount (see IBU below)
    Adjuncts: NaCl, tart cherry juice, coriander
    Yeast: house ale strain and Lactobacillus buchneri
    IBU: 7 (no, I didn't leave out a 2nd digit )
    ABV: 8.3% (again, no typo)

    More thoughts: As I suggested last PM, and fuse has mentioned a few times before, Southern Tier brews a number of "extreme" beers like Choklat, Mokah, Pumking, Warlock and, of course, Creme Brulee. This is no exception. 8.3% ABV? For a Gose? You can't be serious?!?!


    This style is an acquired taste and I'm still in the acquisition mode . Certainly worth a single and I'm not unhappy having spent about $10 for the 4 pack at Total Wine yesterday as now I have a couple to gift/trade and one more to taste later this month.
    Still have some Warlock in my beer fridge waiting for some event (ANY event) to get into it again! Also have some of the Creme Brule', which I have not tried yet. Saving it for somethi9ng special too---like a Tuesday or a Wednesday, or whatever.

    ricks
    Last edited by ricks68; 08-14-2016 at 07:37 PM. Reason: forgot my name due to present sampling of some high ABV beer

  20. #9860
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Tap house in the very-south end of Forsyth County. Also brews tea and coffee. Beer comments:

    (1) Lonerider is the clear winner. The Preacher saison was awesome, and the Saloon Pilsner a close second.

    (2) Granite Falls Castle Stormer Scottish ale is quite nice. I want to compare it with the Southern Pines Malty by Nature now.

    (3) Gibbs Hundred Melody of Moods wheat beer: Ycch. No flavor at all.

    (4) AMB coffee IPA: Interesting. It's their Longleaf IPA brewed on coffee beans. Not a black IPA, like I expected. Probably not for everyone, but I was intrigued.
    I've had a couple coffee IPAs. Very interesting combination. You'd expect a brown/black brew so it's a bit startling to have that flavor in a yellow/orange/amber-colored ale.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •