Page 490 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3904404804884894904914925005405909901490 ... LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,800 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Just had Chimay Première at Thirsty Monk...very nice.
    To help mattman out a bit

From 9/4/13:

Chimay Grande Reserve-Chimay Abbey Brewery/Monastery

A bit of history about Trappist brewing if anyone would care to read:

http://www.chimay.com/en/abbaye-trappiste.html?IDC=272

The ale:

Bottle/cork dated on 3/11, this poured a slightly cloudy, dark brown with a fair amount of Belgian lace coating the glasses. I shared this with my younger daughter and two sons-in-law as dessert drinks on Saturday night. Think of it as an imperial brown ale or dubbel style in the true Belgian tradition/style with lots of dark fruit, dark candi sugar and rummy flavors and scents. A bit thinner than a quad so a bit less sweet and syrup-y. I'd estimate IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 9% so a world classic ale to enjoy as an after dinner drink or dessert. I think I got this bottle about 2 years ago as a present from Ozzie so a tip of the mug to him for his choice.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    To help mattman out a bit

From 9/4/13:

Chimay Grande Reserve-Chimay Abbey Brewery/Monastery

A bit of history about Trappist brewing if anyone would care to read:

http://www.chimay.com/en/abbaye-trappiste.html?IDC=272

The ale:

Bottle/cork dated on 3/11, this poured a slightly cloudy, dark brown with a fair amount of Belgian lace coating the glasses. I shared this with my younger daughter and two sons-in-law as dessert drinks on Saturday night. Think of it as an imperial brown ale or dubbel style in the true Belgian tradition/style with lots of dark fruit, dark candi sugar and rummy flavors and scents. A bit thinner than a quad so a bit less sweet and syrup-y. I'd estimate IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 9% so a world classic ale to enjoy as an after dinner drink or dessert. I think I got this bottle about 2 years ago as a present from Ozzie so a tip of the mug to him for his choice.
    And, from 11/27/09:

Chimay Premiere (2008 edition)

I think Ozzie may have brought this to the house for dessert night at our house in February. This has matured nicely over the last several months. It is a dubble/double/dubbel, meaning it is a Belgian brown ale with tastes of raisins, dates and dried figs. There is a bit of brown sugar and caramel, too. Very smooth with only a small head and less fizz than I thought it would/should have. I'd guess the IBU at about 30-40 and the ABV is 7%. Best part about this was sharing a 750 ml bottle with son of devildeac with leftover bread pudding and pumpkin pie from dinner last PM. What a couple of great combos: a fine Belgian ale with your son and with a couple yummy desserts, too.

Just had Chimay Première at Thirsty Monk...very nice.
    I can never keep them straight other than red, white and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I can never keep them straight other than red, white and blue.
    I can only remember the red is 7%, the white 8% and also called Cinq Cents, IIRC, and the blue is 9%. I sure can't remember the colors of the ales, however. Maybe the red is a dubble so it'd be brown. The white is a blonde, I think, and the blue is a golden hue or their tripel. But, as I've said before, often wrong but never in doubt .

Visited 3 craft breweries here in town today

One new one and two to check out what's new.

Started at The Veil; five brews on tap, only tried one as the rest were high-hopped and unappealing to me. Plenty of out-of-state plates in the lot. No tv's or entertainment, and bartender was unresponsive when I asked why all their offerings were high-hop and abv. They specialize in creating/using funky yeasts. Lost my interest in a hurry. Other craft beer lovers might like this place, just not me.

Ventured to Ardent Brewing and was even less-impressed than the other 2x I visited.

Ended up at The Answer, with about 60 beers on tap including about 15 they brew. My bad, I didn't try any of theirs. Did try Fruitesse from Belgium which was very interesting, much like pomegranate and some sugar together in an ale. (Sorry, I like trying the fruity stuff, especially in summer).

Overall not a real interesting afternoon.

Watching the Olympics now, still not knowing why I can't watch a football game.

Ymm, Cider?

I've seen those cans, but not sure if it was in a store on on-line, and never really paid any attention to them.

Guess we could start a Ymm, Cider thread. Nah, just post your cider reviews here and pad the post count on this thread .

I'm not much of a cider fan but I find meads/braggots to be interesting beverages.

I've seen those cans, but not sure if it was in a store on on-line, and never really paid any attention to them.

Guess we could start a Ymm, Cider thread. Nah, just post your cider reviews here and pad the post count on this thread .

I'm not much of a cider fan but I find meads/braggots to be interesting beverages.
    I like cider occasionally. Some are much better than others.

Not really a huge fan of mead either, but Dansk Mjød Viking Blod is some pretty serious stuff..will surely put a certain body part in the dirt.

I enjoy both ciders and meads.

Still meads not so much.

Hi-Wire Gose and DFH Festina Peche last PM after a weekend of call. Light and refreshing but nothing new. I gotta visit my local specialty shop or Total Wine soon as I'm near the end of my supply of lighter body/texture/IBU/ABV ales and need to replenish the supply. Hmmm...

21st Amendment Monk's Blood canned 3/26/2012

Dark Belgian style ale with vanilla, cinnamon and oak chips

Sweet, rich honey nose. Very boozy with a whiff of cherry.

Murky, muddy red brown translucent.

Insanely cherry fruit up front.
    Thick, dry wood mid palate that is bracingly bitter.
    Finish is surprisingly also very rich cherry.

Really interesting and completely unexpected.
    Not finding much vanilla or cinnamon on the initial sip.

As it warms, the cinnamon starts to appear and the cherry is replaced by a more distinct fig newton fruitiness. The finish also trends more towards dry wood, and the mid palate bitterness has disappeared.

I miss the cherry flavour a bit. (Does anyone like fig better than cherry?)

A really fun complex beer.
    Hard to put into words how or if a 4 year old canned beer has aged, particularly as it has been refridgerated almost as long as I've had it.

The easy answer might be it is less carbonated.
    I'm not certain the last time 21st Amendment brewed Monk's Blood (it was a periodic release when I bought it). Appears it may have been brewed again in 2014.

I think I expected it to be more vinous or port- like.

A fine beverage to complement the US women's national team playing against Colombia for the Rio Olympics.

Cheers!

As it warms, the cinnamon starts to appear and the cherry is replaced by a more distinct fig newton fruitiness. The finish also trends more towards dry wood, and the mid palate bitterness has disappeared.

Hard to put into words how or if a 4 year old canned beer has aged, particularly as it has been refridgerated almost as long as I've had it.

I'm not certain the last time 21st Amendment brewed Monk's Blood (it was a periodic release when I bought it). Appears it may have been brewed again in 2014.

A fine beverage to complement the US women's national team playing against Colombia for the Rio Olympics.

Cheers!
    Amazing it was that tasty after living in aluminum for 4+ years. Here's an old review from 10/12/14, confirming your 2014 brewing date:

Monk's Blood-21st Amendment Brewing Company

Good enough to buy and taste again. Poured a ruby-brown color with a small head. It's a Belgian dark ale so the expected aromas of dark dried fruits are there but so are the spices/flavors/fruits that are used to create this elixir, including cinnamon, vanilla and the dried Black Mission figs. It's oak aged so that enhances the vanilla scents. Tastes match the above with perhaps a bit of woodiness/earthiness. Amarillo, Magnum and Centennial hops are responsible for the IBUs of 34, making this quite easy on the palate. Malts include European Pilsner, Vienna, Caramunich, Aromatic, Special B, Flaked Oats and Flaked Wheat. Dark Belgian candi sugar completes the list of adjuncts added, helping it achieve the ABV of 8.3%. This was just under $6 for the 4 pack of 12 ounce cans which is a great deal considering I paid about $9 for my last 4 pack over 2 years ago. I wonder if it was scanned correctly but I'm not going back to inquire.

Cheers!
    Here's my 4/21/12 review (well, after reviewing tonight, it's really not much of a review ):

Monk's Blood-21st Amendment Brewing Company

Brewer's notes describe this just about perfectly:

21st Amendment founders Nico Freccia and Shaun O’Sullivan traveled to Belgium to develop the recipe for this special beer, visiting small, traditional breweries in the hop fields of west Flanders, not far from the famous Trappist abbey of Westvletren. Monk’s Blood is designed to pair beautifully with rich winter stews, creamy cheeses, unctuous desserts or just by itself, in a Belgian tulip glass, with a good book by the fire.

Find a 4 pack of this (cans) for about $9 and buy it. Outstanding concoction.

Rusty Plow (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Two ounce sample before the clean-up hitter came to the plate. I think fuse reviewed this somewhere up-thread but I'm too tired/lazy to search.

Pour was a foamy, lacy straw-colored brew. Nose of hay, apples, pears and melons. Tastes the same with a bit of funk and black pepper. Would readily procure a pint of this ale.

Haw River makes really good (and rather spendy) ales.

Speaking of spendy ales, here are a couple I saw but did not purchase last PM:

Ad Idem-Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed collabeeration: $46.25 for 750 ml bottle.

Clarice-Destihl Brewing: $18.63 for a 500 ml bottle.

Moody Tongue Brewing
    Caramelized Chocolate Churro Baltic Porter

Strange nose.
    Chocolate, molasses, something I can't place.

A sour finish is a surprise. Vinegar-ey.
    I don't get any chocolate, caramel or vanilla as indicated on the label.

Side note- proper Baltic porters are actually lagers, not ales.
    Hard for me to tell.

Going to let this warm up a bit, had high hopes for this one.
    A second bottle means another chance another time to see if this bottle is an anomaly.

Mixed opinion on this one for now, glad to have tried it.
    Caramelized Chocolate Churro Baltic Porter-Moody Tongue Brewing

Thin, fermented, chilled, alcoholic mole sauce without any pepper heat. It reminded me of this from the Ymm, Beer archives:

"Vertical Epic (11-11-11)-Stone Brewing

Hey, what did you expect on 11-11-14, a Brooklyn Monster?

I shared the last bottle of any Vertical Epic I've ever owned with my younger daughter this evening. This beer has kinda/sorta grown on me. My initial tasting/ sharing is re-posted above and I'd like to change my impression a bit. It really more resembles an imperial Belgian dubbel based on the ABV at 9.4% and the mildly sweet, dark, dried fruity tastes. As it warmed a bit in my large Ommegang tulip, the heat from the chilies became a bit more prominent but nothing at all like the fire from the habanero peppers in Mini Dingo, the almost undrinkable Evil Twin imperial stout. Cinnamon is certainly present and balances the heat nicely. In fact, the more I ponder this, the more it resembles mole sauce, including some chocolate/cocoa flavors. Therefore, I think a better pairing might be with some burritos or enchiladas. The bitterness is still rather mild and ABV is rather potent. Very enjoyable brew on a mild fall evening."

Interesting to read the label listing of the additives and then the website which lists Madagascar vanilla, Oaxacan chocolate and Mexican cinnamon as "flavors" but doesn't technically use the word "additives" or "adjuncts." As an example, one of their other beers lists "lemon meringue pie" as a flavor and I'd bet my last World Wide Stout, there was none of that used in the brewing process . They do mention that they used a lager yeast .

Call me crazy, but I'd also pair this with a slice of Turtle cheesecake.

I'm glad I only traded you 2 of these .
    I try not to review a beer twice unless it's been 6-12 months and I expect or actually perceive something different after aging a bit. With this, I'll make an exception.

On re-tasting tonight, I'm sliding over to fuse's side of the table. I still think it has some characteristics of an alcoholic mole sauce but there's a bit of sourness to this and there shouldn't be with a baltic porter. Not quite vinegar-y and not to the point I think this beer "turned," but enough to convince me not to visit this brewery/sample any more products when we're in Chicago next month. Not Ycch, Beer, but somewhat disappointing. Live and learn, taste and learn. My apologies to fuse for foisting this upon him a couple months ago.

I try not to review a beer twice unless it's been 6-12 months and I expect or actually perceive something different after aging a bit. With this, I'll make an exception.

On re-tasting tonight, I'm sliding over to fuse's side of the table. I still think it has some characteristics of an alcoholic mole sauce but there's a bit of sourness to this and there shouldn't be with a baltic porter. Not quite vinegar-y and not to the point I think this beer "turned," but enough to convince me not to visit this brewery/sample any more products when we're in Chicago next month. Not Ycch, Beer, but somewhat disappointing. Live and learn, taste and learn. My apologies to fuse for foisting this upon him a couple months ago.
    No apologies necessary!
    Was in no hurry to revisit, now I am more leery ;-)

Part of the fun in tasting is figuring out what you don't like as well as what you like (chili beer anyone?).

Last year, Sierra Nevada collaborated with a German brewery on an Octoberfest and I really enjoyed it.

I think this year's collaboration is with a different brewery.
    Pours like a light lager, and was not very Octoberfest-y.

Followed it up with a year old Sam Adams Octoberfest.
    Still satisfying.

Sprecher Grapefruit Radler

Out of Milwaukee, 4.5% wheat ale. Very interesting, very grapefruit-y.

From the brewer: (didn't see much info) http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=10

From a reviewer on ratebeer: Pours a cloudy muddled yellow-orange body with a half finger of head.
    No doubt this one has grapefruit! Plenty of grapefruit on the nose along with some tart fruit aromas.
    Taste is what I would expect: Tart grapefruit up front with a smooth light body finish. Picking up on some cloves on the finish.
    Light mouth feel, of course! Super easy to drink and a good thirst quencher on a hot day.
    Overall, this was a pretty good beer, not something I would seek out again, but for the price it wasn't bad at all.

6-pack for $10 was not bad at all, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Out of Milwaukee, 4.5% wheat ale. Very interesting, very grapefruit-y.

From the brewer: (didn't see much info) http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=10

From a reviewer on ratebeer: Pours a cloudy muddled yellow-orange body with a half finger of head.
    No doubt this one has grapefruit! Plenty of grapefruit on the nose along with some tart fruit aromas.
    Taste is what I would expect: Tart grapefruit up front with a smooth light body finish. Picking up on some cloves on the finish.
    Light mouth feel, of course! Super easy to drink and a good thirst quencher on a hot day.
    Overall, this was a pretty good beer, not something I would seek out again, but for the price it wasn't bad at all.

6-pack for $10 was not bad at all, IMO.
    Try the Boulevard Ginger Lemon Radler. I think fuse and I have reviews here from last year or 2014. Low IBU, low ABV, spritzy/effervescent and refreshing.