Page 455 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3554054454534544554564574655055559551455 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    This made me check the Beeradvocate score...

damn.
    I wonder if they missed a decimal point in that rating...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Leiny's grapefruit shandy

Have had this several times over the last month, and as someone who doesn't care for grapefruit, this is a wonderfully different and tasty beer. Pours a hazy yellowish color and obviously has nose of grapefruit. Feels like it would be a bit higher than it's 4.2%. IBUs at 11. Will have to sample it again today as I watch more ACC domination!!!

Way to damn near jinx us, fuse. Shame on you!!

Last night I tried some Natty Greene's Buckshot, "smooth and rich with caramel and roasted toffee notes" at 4.8%, a very nice amber ale. IBUs very low. Good beer.
    Working on my TTB and surety bonds this week.

What are some good, readily available bottled/canned saisons?

Hopping over to Brevard Brewing where they specialize in lagers...should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Have had this several times over the last month, and as someone who doesn't care for grapefruit, this is a wonderfully different and tasty beer. Pours a hazy yellowish color and obviously has nose of grapefruit. Feels like it would be a bit higher than it's 4.2%. IBUs at 11. Will have to sample it again today as I watch more ACC domination!!!
    Duketaylor is back!

I plan on trying some shandies this summer. I don't have alot of experience with them, but they sound refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    What are some good, readily available bottled/canned saisons?

Hopping over to Brevard Brewing where they specialize in lagers...should be interesting.
    Allagash Saison
    Ommegang Hennepin
    Brooklyn Soriachi Ace

DFH / Stone / Victory Saison du BUFF (if you can find it)

Had the AV Briny Melon Gose with brunch this morning.

Really, really nice.

The "plain" AV Gose is a bit much (Westbrook immensely so), and AV really knows how to fruit blend their goses.

Right up there with AV Blood Orange.

Chocolate Hazlenut Porter-Heretic Brewing Company

Another thank you to ricks68 for this dessert. Appearance: dark brown and not murky with a modest tan head. Nose: milk chocolate, nuts and roasted grains. Tastes: A splash of coffee, a drizzle of dark caramel, a ton of mild chocolate and a small sprinkling of nuts. Maybe liquid Rocky Road? Stats: IBU 33, ABV 7%, so kinda on the edge of an imperial porter. I had half a bomber last PM for a late night dessert/celebration.

I think some enterprising Duke grad should open his own brewery and offer beverages like Too Damn Close, We Get All The Calls, Rebound the @#$%&$# Ball, Oh No/Oh Yes!, I Need A Cardiologist, High ABV Better/Safer Than Booze, OAD (IBU=120 and ABV=20%), Flagrant 1 Bastard, Flagrant 2 Bastard, The 4 Year Big Beer Project, Need More (or Less) Zone and...

The Next Hated White Beer.

Try the Boulevard Brewing Radler if/when available this summer/spring and the Boulevard/Cigar City collabeeration, Tropical Pale Ale. Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA mighty damned tasty, too, but that might be a tad bitter for your tender palate .

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Had the AV Briny Melon Gose with brunch this morning.

Really, really nice.

The "plain" AV Gose is a bit much (Westbrook immensely so), and AV really knows how to fruit blend their goses.

Right up there with AV Blood Orange.
    Ooh, a new AV Gose flavor. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought a 4 pack of Geyser Gose, a collaboration between Two Roads and Evil Twin that uses a whole bunch of unusual ingredients (including moss, sea kelp, and smoked sea salt). It was a very refreshing gose. Lemony with a bit of brininess and smokiness. Definitely worth trying if you can find it.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Back from Beervard.

If you are ever checking out the waterfalls in Transylvania County, especially on a hot summer day, head over to Brevard Brewing for a pint or two. They specialize in lagers, which I'm not a huge fan of, but the pilsner was quite refreshing. Also had a dunkel, which was tasty, along with a pretty good esb and Schwarzbier. They also brew an ipa. It was very tame, but a nice way to end a flight.

Be sure to stop by Square Root for lunch - the London Broil sammich was yum.

Hopped over to Oskar Blues afterwards and had a pint of Hotbox Coffee Porter and a 10oz barrel aged Ten Fiddy...wow. Good stuff...do they even can this? Should have asked the beertender...
    Last edited by mattman91; 03-20-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Its odd to be drinking a beer that doesn't exist, courtesy of ricks68.

If this beer did exist, it might be from Brooklyn and might be a bourbon barrel aged stout.

A viscous, syrupy thick pour with a robust coffee colored head.

The nose is whisky and vanilla.

Liquid bliss.
    An upfront whisky burn, with a rich chocolate middle, and an overwhelming vanilla close that finishes with some more whisky burn.

I've had some heartburn about seeing this for $30 for a 750ml.
    Heartburn no more.

I might not buy it every year- would say highly, highly recommended to try.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Its odd to be drinking a beer that doesn't exist, courtesy of ricks68.

If this beer did exist, it might be from Brooklyn and might be a bourbon barrel aged stout.

A viscous, syrupy thick pour with a robust coffee colored head.

The nose is whisky and vanilla.

Liquid bliss.
    An upfront whisky burn, with a rich chocolate middle, and an overwhelming vanilla close that finishes with some more whisky burn.

I've had some heartburn about seeing this for $30 for a 750ml.
    Heartburn no more.

I might not buy it every year- would say highly, highly recommended to try.
    I think ricks68 bought it for about $22-23 for the 750 ml bottle. Then there was the $7-8 storage and delivery fee .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think ricks68 bought it for about $22-23 for the 750 ml bottle. Then there was the $7-8 storage and delivery fee .
    Hmmm...... How could the 22 or so bucks I got for it turn into 30? Somehow, a middle man must be involved.

ricks

(I have a lot more helpful reports to make, but have had no time since the Big Day to get to it.)

The only time I had seen it prior was in Maryland for $30/bottle- cost was the reason I passed.

$22 is more reasonable (a nice rationalization anyway) and still expensive.

Black Ops (2013 version)-Brooklyn Brewery

August West knocks it out of the park by saving this 2 years and bringing it to the tailgate yesterday. Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle, the aromas were dark chocolate and whiskey. Tastes were the same with a drop or two of heavily roasted coffee, a drizzle of black strap molasses with a bit of chocolate-covered caramel sweetness. I'll guess IBUs of 50-60 to balance the ABV of 11.5%. If you can find this (read my post above quoting the brewer-it doesn't exist), don't confuse your palate with anything else except a clean tulip/snifter and a 375 ml portion of this for dessert or a night cap. AW paid about $18 for it 2 years ago and fuse and I each have a bottle of the 2015 edition delivered by ricks68 last week. Cost to us: $24 each . I'll probably enjoy mine over 3 nights later this fall/winter dark beer season, or let it age until next year.
    Found this from November to verify that the cost of the non-existent Black Ops was $24, tax included. No storage/delivery/handling fees . Expensive, but worth it. I'll save my bottle for a late 2016 tailgate.

Found this from November to verify that the cost of the non-existent Black Ops was $24, tax included. No storage/delivery/handling fees . Expensive, but worth it. I'll save my bottle for a late 2016 tailgate.
    I knew that you misread fuse's original post but I have been a little cumudgeonly lately and wanted to see your responses while figuring it out. I must admit that I have been a bad boy since reaching the big 70. Just trying to see what it's like to fit into the stereotype. I don't like it, so I am gradually reverting back to my usual 10 year-old mentality. Physically, I'm rapidly catching up to my chronicological age, but I'll be $%!?(?!'d if I will let any accumulation of wisdom over all those years affect my immature mental state.😈

ricks

Last night I tried some Natty Greene's Buckshot, "smooth and rich with caramel and roasted toffee notes" at 4.8%, a very nice amber ale. IBUs very low. Good beer.
    Working on my TTB and surety bonds this week.
    I sincerely wish you good luck on obtaining your TTB in less than 6 to 9 months. The backlog has become overwhelming and detrimental to new start-ups. So, plan accordingly. You should use an attorney that is very familiar with the process if time is very important. We finally got results after putting ours on it. He knows his stuff, after working with most of the start-ups in the area the past few years. Let me know if I can help in any way. Being small, however, will hopefully avoid a long delay for you.

ricks

From 8/6/14:

Darkest Hour-Anchorage Brewing

I purchased this last fall at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kentucky while visiting family. The clerk actually went upstairs to retrieve this after chatting with me for a moment about my (fill in the blank) beer tastes. He said they simply did not have enough room on their shelves for all their inventory and that's saying something as this place is ginormous. So, I ended up with two 750 ml caged and corked bottles of this and another Anchorage brew. On to the review.

This may be one of the most complex beverages I've ever tasted. It's a Belgian imperial stout (yep, brewed in Alaska) brewed with Summit hops but they have little if any role here with an IBU rating of 40. It's triple fermented, first with a Belgian yeast (Saccharomyces), second in French oak Pinot Noir and rye whiskey barrels and then finished with a wine yeast. It's not Brett but this yeast imparts a mild amount of sourness. The wine aging imparts rich flavors of plum and currants and the rye imparts the expected boozey, vanilla and woody tastes. The imperial stout style is responsible for rich, dark chocolate and cocoa flavors along with hints of black molasses and licorice and a stunning ABV of 13%. Brewed in March, 2013 and listed as batch #1 but sadly, not described on their website now. I had about 10 ounces last PM in a cute little Allagash tulip and am finishing the remaining ~15.4 ounces tonight from a traditional pint glass with a tear rolling down my cheek as I'm not sure what I'll do with the other 750 ml bottle in the fall or winter.

Here's what I did with the remaining bottle. From this weekend (savored over 3 nights at cellar temperature from a snifter):

Darkest Hour (March, 2013)-Anchorage Brewing Company

All of the above and add some Sour Patch Kids Sour Blackberry and subtract some of the the rye and licorice tastes. Quite vinous and whiskey-ish, if you can imagine that. Maybe a vintage California Pinot Noir with a splash of Makers Mark? I'm sad. This was a truly outstanding beverage and it's likely I'll never taste it again .