Page 447 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3473974374454464474484494574975479471447 ... LastLast
Results 8,921 to 8,940 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I always forget that DFH beers get chunky with age.

Enjoying a really mellow mostly flat Immort Ale (age stamp on neck illegible).

Waiting for the chunks to settle gave the beer time enough to warm up.

Lots of vanilla and oak. Tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Do you think a two dimensional (like telephone poles with cables between) is a viable approach?
    Definitely! Last year we had horizontal twine between the vertical poles, much like telephone wires between telephone poles. Each bine was trained to the twine that was slightly angled like this, each slash being a bine, the underscore being the mound (2 rhizomes per mound):

\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

The slight diagonal provided a way to separate the bines within each mound.

I liked this method better than the tee-pee. Each bine had a little more room where it counts: at the top. You'll strip the leaves off of the bottom 3' or so to prevent mildew, so there's little risk of tangling at the bottom. The top, however, seems incredibly prolific. It grows not just up, but also sends runners out to the side. If it finds anything within 3', those side shoots will find it and grab hold. And when 3 or more gather at the top of a too-short tee-pee, they all tangle together (now if the top of that pole was 20', each would have continued up its own twine instead of entangling).

The telephone pole approach should work nicely.

San Antonio

Any beer recommendations for Alamo City?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Nope.

ricks

Thumbs up

Go to nearby Austin for Franklin's (Get in line at about 8:30). Backup is la Barbeque. Brisket, brisket, brisket, brisket, .....

Must visit, however, is Luckenbach. NW of San Antonio. Do not be faked out by the Luckenbach Annex sign and stop there. Look up the actual directions to Luckenbach and drive down the side road to get there. Then, get a Mexican beer at the bar and sit outside under the big tree out back until it's your turn to pitch washers. Nothing better. Really. Great therapy for what ails ya.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Nope.

ricks
    Now that's a sad commentary. Surely Texas has some good local/regional brews. Where's TexDevil or another couple Texas folks who posted here a while back.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Go to nearby Austin for Franklin's (Get in line at about 8:30). Backup is la Barbeque. Brisket, brisket, brisket, brisket, ....

Must visit, however, is Luckenbach. NW of San Antonio. Do not be faked out by the Luckenbach Annex sign and stop there. Look up the actual directions to Luckenbach and drive down the side road to get there. Then, get a Mexican beer at the bar and sit outside under the big tree out back until it's your turn to pitch washers. Nothing better. Really. Great therapy for what ails ya.

ricks
    Or what ales me, for that matter.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Now that's a sad commentary. Surely Texas has some good local/regional brews. Where's TexDevil or another couple Texas folks who posted here a while back.

A true Texan would tell you that Lone Star is the best beer in the whole world. (Always placed in your back pocket while doing the Texas Two-step.)

ricks

A true Texan would tell you that Lone Star is the best beer in the whole world. (Always placed in your back pocket while doing the Texas Two-step.)

ricks
    In all seriousness, Shiner Bock is probably the best Texas beer, but that ain't sayin' much. The Mexican beers are good. I like the Negra Modelo. Due to the climate, there aren't many darks, nor much need for them. Try the Carta Blanca and maybe the Dos and Tres Equis. Bohemia is also pretty good. After that, you can try the Abita selection from NOLA.

You might also think about a tour of the brewery in Shiner. It's not too far from SA.

ricks

In all seriousness, Shiner Bock is probably the best Texas beer, but that ain't sayin' much. The Mexican beers are good. I like the Negra Modelo. Due to the climate, there aren't many darks, nor much need for them. Try the Carta Blanca and maybe the Dos and Tres Equis. Bohemia is also pretty good. After that, you can try the Abita selection from NOLA.

You might also think about a tour of the brewery in Shiner. It's not too far from SA.

ricks
    Any progress on convincing your bar to make a little Duke basketball corner with a TV for these Saturday afternoon games?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Any progress on convincing your bar to make a little Duke basketball corner with a TV for these Saturday afternoon games?
    I'd be all over that...when I'm not stuck at work. My tablet and WatchESPN will have to do for today.

Ovila-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairveux

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/ovila

And the one ricks68 was kind/smart enough to snag from the Mills River, NC location of SN is not even listed in their "3 pack." Yet.

Here's the story:

"Our Ovila® Abbey Ales series is a collaboration with the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. Each beer is a modern twist on a traditional Belgian-style abbey ale—monastic inspiration and American innovation. These rotating Ovila Abbey Ales highlight, when possible, local ingredients grown and harvested by the monks on their nearly 600-acre working farm. We hope you enjoy these one-of-a-kind collaboration ales." Who knew monks could brew beer?

Here's the beer:

Poured into a pint glass from a corked and caged 375 ml bottle. It's a quad style so it was a ruby-purple tinged dark brown with very little head. Scents of raisins, dates and figs and a cornucopia of flavors of the same along with dark candi sugar and a rummy, Plumlee, err, plum-like finish. I'll guess low IBUs of 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 10.2% so another dangerously quaffable Belgian-style concoction. This is truly an outstanding ale so another hearty shout to ricks68 for selecting.

Couple old reviews:

From 11/1/13:

Ovila Abbey Saison-Sierra Nevada Brewing and the Abbey of New Clairvaux collaboration

A marvelous farmhouse ale/saison from fuse as a trader a couple weeks ago. Unique packaging with a corked and caged 12.7 ounce bottle that was one of the heavier weigh glass bottles I've ever handled. Poured a slightly cloudy light, reddish-orange amber with a mildly fizzy head, this is brewed with 4 hops and 3 malts, including wheat (the grain from a farm, not the fisherman and c*rolina fan from Florida). The mandarin orange flavor is very subtle and the peppercorns, along with the Belgian yeast, impart just a bit of spiciness to the brew. Light on the palate with 24 IBUs and moderate on the ABV at 7.5%, this would be a nice brew pre-dinner with soft and mild cheeses or a fruit plate. Suitable dinner matches would include lighter fish with a mildly spicy fruity salsa topping or perhaps some mild curry or orange chicken.

From 9/4/13:

Ovila (2011?)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Tastings from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle over the last couple nights revealed a slightly viscous, dark brown elixir with aromas of dark rum, brown sugar and dried dark fruits like figs, dates and raisins. Tastes pretty much the same with a bit of booze and dark syrup. It is labeled as a "quad" so I think it was pretty representative of the style. I'd guess the IBUs to be about 30 and the ABV listed on the bottle was 10.4% and it was frighteningly smooth to sip. Serving after about 15 minutes in the freezer in an Ommegang chalice allowed all the aforementioned scents and tastes to permeate the senses even more fully. They have released two more varieties since this bottling and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to try either/both of them. One is another quad brewed with plums and the other is a saison with mandarin oranges and peppercorns.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ovila-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairveux

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/ovila

And the one ricks68 was kind/smart enough to snag from the Mills River, NC location of SN is not even listed in their "3 pack." Yet.

Here's the story:

"Our Ovila® Abbey Ales series is a collaboration with the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. Each beer is a modern twist on a traditional Belgian-style abbey ale—monastic inspiration and American innovation. These rotating Ovila Abbey Ales highlight, when possible, local ingredients grown and harvested by the monks on their nearly 600-acre working farm. We hope you enjoy these one-of-a-kind collaboration ales." Who knew monks could brew beer?

Here's the beer:

Poured into a pint glass from a corked and caged 375 ml bottle. It's a quad style so it was a ruby-purple tinged dark brown with very little head. Scents of raisins, dates and figs and a cornucopia of flavors of the same along with dark candi sugar and a rummy, Plumlee, err, plum-like finish. I'll guess low IBUs of 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 10.2% so another dangerously quaffable Belgian-style concoction. This is truly an outstanding ale so another hearty shout to ricks68 for selecting.
    If we are able to meet up when you come to town in May, I vote Sierra Nevada. Actually, New Belgium will be open by then. I guess we have a few choices around here, finally.

DC food and beer trip

Also known as a trip to visit Kelsey and celebrate her 23rd birthday (Happy B=day, sweetie!!!)

So we fight modest traffic to get there and back, always if not awful traffic, have lunch at Roofers Union in Adams Morgan section of town (her choice, about a 4 block walk from her apt.)

http://roofersuniondc.com/

Only to find out they've won many awards and their lead chef is currently on "Top Chef" on Bravo, down to the final 6 and they have a gathering every Thursday night at least as long as she's on the show. So, I was super-stoked to try some of her creations, even if for brunch. I had eggs benedict with Canadian bacon and delicious roasted red potatoes, dish also offered smoked salmon. We had deviled eggs as an app, very good. Wife and Zach had a burger with quinoa and black beans, Chip had a spicy chicken sandwich and Kels (vegetarian, not vegan) had Tofu Scramble, wild mushrooms, spinach, kale, sunny egg. Everyone agreed it was excellent, highly recommend this fine establishment.

They had an extensive craft beer selection, no Bud or Lite, just craftiness, bottomless Mamosas, ciders/meads, bubbly and vinos. Very impressed. I had two beers with lunch, a DC Brau brau pils, very solid and true to it's style (pilsner: dc brau “brau pils” / 4.6%, light bodied, delicately bittering hop finish DC), and
    Oliver's Coventry Cream (An English style bitter characterized by a rich creamy head, boisterous body, robust flavor, and a beautiful red color.) The latter uses Cascade as bittering hop and also uses Kent Golding and Bramling Cross (never heard of that one???) and finished with UK Fuggles.
    I enjoyed both, taste was excellent nose was undetectable as my sinuses are a wreck (infection).

After lunch we walked to the National Zoo and saw one panda and many other cool sights. Walked 5.5 miles today and will play golf tomorrow for first time in nearly 3 months, hope I'm not too sore.

We watched first half of Louisville debacle at lunch, then followed on devices. From reading many posts, I'm glas I missed the last 10 minutes. Yech!!

Think I've found my first building in which I'll brew, stay tuned

GO DUKE!!
    Last edited by duketaylor; 02-20-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: mistake

fuse, sorry I haven't been around so much

Lots going on and all good.

As far as growing hops, I'm about to start year 4 with two plants and year 3 with several. Here are some thoughts/observations. For hop plants to become completely mature/productive they need plenty of fertile/loamy soil in which to develop their root structure, until they do they will not produce but a limited amount of cones. I have most of my plants in 5 gallon buckets to start them. These buckets are limited in their ability to develop enough roots to be productive. One of the plants my engineer planted at his house is a monster producer, this year should be awesome. I would initially start with, based on your size to plant, a limited number of plants. If you plan to use rhyzomes, then expect about 30% of them to actually grow; I was very disappointed that I didn't get more out of the 300 I bought. I purchased them thru our president of the state hop co-op. Instead I recommend by buying already established plants. Probably too late for a spring planting, but may be able to get some for a fall planting.

Last year I starting clipping plants and putting the sprigs into rich buckets that didn't grow the rhyzomes and had some success, plus on my strongest plants I would tear some of the root structure away and start a new bine. Our new hop co-op prez is a friend of mine (Devon Kistler, Va hop co-op) and he and his partner have the largest hop farm in the state (Huguenot Hops, http://www.huguenothops.com/), they continue to expand and are way ahead of me. They give free tours and advice, plan to make a trip to Richmond and visit, I'll go with you and plan it if you want. They are excellent.

This year I plan to use all my non-productive buckets and clip sprigs and transplant as much as I can. I have about 100 buckets in my back yard with about 40 producing hops. I need to find a site to transplant soon if I can expect better production.

As far as design goes, Huguenot uses telephone poles they get from Dominion Va Power when they're done with them; they're poles are, I believe, 25 feet in the air. In my backyard, my single 2x4 is about 16 feet up with a cable wire across my 50 feet of fencing and I've strung up each of my buckets that have produced to date, separated by type. I'm growing 6 types so far with Cascade being about 80% of my crop. I haven't ordered anything for this year and will just use what I have to expand.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but I hope it helps. Some shops up here plant rhyzomes in their stores and sell growing plants, if you can find that I'd jump on that, otherwise you'll have to plant rhyzomes and hope they grow. I'd be happy to start some new plants for you if you'd like. Should see some new growth in about 3 weeks up here. I put my brewery plans on hold for the last year, but now have new light.

Call me if you would like. Chuck
    Last edited by duketaylor; 02-20-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Coincidentally, I was right outside your store about the time of your post having planned to drop by. No place at all to park. Some event appeared to be going on in the gym in back. We have no TV connections, and have no plans to have TV as part of our operation at this time. We need to get together over at the brewery to discuss this when you are available.

ricks

Allagash has been trying to promote 2/21/2016 (today) as "Drink It Now Day".

The concept is don't save a beer for an occassion- make the beer the occasion.

If I were not struggling with some random creeping crud, I would eagerly partake.

I have some (too old) Hopslam that might fit the bill.
    Mostly likely the best would be the Hardywood Gingerbread Stout.

What's in your glass on Drink It Now Day?

fuse

if you're out of H'wood Gingerbread Stout I believe I have one or two in storage, possibly one from 2014 and one from 2015. I could arrange transport.

Just checked

I have a 2014 Gingerbread Stout that is BB-aged, a 2015 G Stout and a 2015 Raspberry Stout. Locals tell me they prefer the Raspberry over G bread these days, FYI. DT

Also heard today a new brewery is planned for Ashland, Va., 15 miles north of Richmond, by a gentleman who teaches beer-brewing at Randolph-Macon College. I'll make it a point to meet him in the near future and report back.