Page 442 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3423924324404414424434444524925429421442 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Green Man advice

Asheville (or NC in general) beer aficionados,

Green Man has recently begun distribution to my neck of the woods in Orlando. On my recent visit to my local bottle shop, I saw their IPA, ESB and Porter. Beer Advocate gives them all solid reviews. Any advice or which I should sample first? I am generally a fan of all three styles.

Thanks in advance.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post

Green Man has recently begun distribution to my neck of the woods in Orlando. On my recent visit to my local bottle shop, I saw their IPA, ESB and Porter. Beer Advocate gives them all solid reviews. Any advice or which I should sample first? I am generally a fan of all three styles.

Thanks in advance.
    Asheville resident here.

I love Green Man. It may not be the best Asheville brewery, but they are certainly one of my favorites. For the longest time my avatar here was the Green Man logo, rotated between the different seasonal variations.

The three beers you mentioned are the standard year round "flagship" beers. All of them are solid, IMO.

The IPA is a traditional English style IPA, so if you prefer big in your face west coast sticky, dank IPAs it may not be your cup of tea...errr pint of beer. It is by no means a malt bomb, but very balanced.

The ESB is what it is. Nothing special. This particular style isn't one of my favorites, but from time to time I'll put one in my mix 'n match 6er at the grocery store. It's definitely better than most other ESBs that I have had.

The Porter may be my favorite of the flagships. Like the bottle says, its robust in flavor (or flavour as some of us on this thread may say).

My favorite Green Man beers are the seasonals. I'm not sure if they will distribute any of those to Orlando, but I'm thrilled to learn that they have made it all the way to Central Florida.

Speaking of Green Man, I received a Dweller from Ricks68 last night during a brief beer exchange. Excited to try this year's version!

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Asheville resident here.
    The Porter may be my favorite of the flagships. Like the bottle says, its robust in flavor (or flavour as some of us on this thread may say).
    I'd definitely start with the porter, and work my way to the others. All quality beers - I second Mattman's reviews!

Winter Warmer tomorrow!

If you don't hear back from me by Monday that means I didn't survive.

Sexual Chocolate (regular, not BBA) 2016

Consumed tonight. Reviewed .... soon.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I'd definitely start with the porter, and work my way to the others. All quality beers - I second Mattman's reviews!
    Asheville resident here.

I love Green Man. It may not be the best Asheville brewery, but they are certainly one of my favorites. For the longest time my avatar here was the Green Man logo, rotated between the different seasonal variations.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up the porter next time. It will go well with the cold weather (for Florida) that we've been having.

Thanks in advance.
    Asheville resident here.

The three beers you mentioned are the standard year round "flagship" beers. All of them are solid, IMO.

The IPA is a traditional English style IPA, so if you prefer big in your face west coast sticky, dank IPAs it may not be your cup of tea...errr pint of beer. It is by no means a malt bomb, but very balanced.

The ESB is what it is. Nothing special. This particular style isn't one of my favorites, but from time to time I'll put one in my mix 'n match 6er at the grocery store. It's definitely better than most other ESBs that I have had.

My favorite Green Man beers are the seasonals. I'm not sure if they will distribute any of those to Orlando, but I'm thrilled to learn that they have made it all the way to Central Florida.

Speaking of Green Man, I received a Dweller from Ricks68 last night during a brief beer exchange. Excited to try this year's version!
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Non-Ashevillian here. Trust those two guys above. I'm not sure I'd buy a 6er of each but, if you're hosting a Super Bowl party or attending one and making a generous contribution, take one 6 pack of each to share/trade during the festivities.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Consumed tonight. Reviewed ... soon.
    When was it released this year? Draft or bottle (or both)? Did you buy any extras?

We will be in W-S on March 18 with $$ if my cellared/aged Sexual Chocolates are still in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    When was it released this year? Draft or bottle (or both)? Did you buy any extras?

We will be in W-S on March 18 with $$ if my cellared/aged Sexual Chocolates are still in storage.
    Their bottle release campout party was January 30. They have increased production, and a colleague was able and willing to pick up a couple of bombers for me (and didn't even have to spend the night).

And, yes, I still have your bottles of earlier vintages in storage. The 18th should work.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Their bottle release campout party was January 30. They have increased production, and a colleague was able and willing to pick up a couple of bombers for me (and didn't even have to spend the night).

And, yes, I still have your bottles of earlier vintages in storage. The 18th should work.
    For our son's 30th birthday, I gave him 30 beers for 30 years, over half of which were aged bottles, hoping he'd spend one night at the Sexual Chocolate winter camp and get me a couple bottles. He never did. Glad to hear they've increased production. I'll give you a call as the day gets closer. I think we'll arrive mid-AM and be there for most of the day.

Non-Ashevillian here. Trust those two guys above. I'm not sure I'd buy a 6er of each but, if you're hosting a Super Bowl party or attending one and making a generous contribution, take one 6 pack of each to share/trade during the festivities.
    Ashevillian here - I guess I'm in the minority, but the Green Man ESB is my favorite of their non-seasonal brews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ashevillian here - I guess I'm in the minority, but the Green Man ESB is my favorite of their non-seasonal brews.
    Thanks. I do really like a good ESB. IPAs dominate the craft beer season and if I can a good domestic ESB or porter that is cool. I might just have to get mixed 6er and try one of all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I like Green Man ESB as well.

What is interesting to me is that ESB is a fairly mild, subtle style that appears to generate a love it / hate it attitude among consumers.

Fortnight makes a good ESB, as does Gritty McDuff's in Portland, ME (really Freeport) area.

LaGrave-Troegs Independent Brewing

This triple golden ale was poured from a corked and caged 375 ml bottle and formed a hazy yellow-gold with a 3 fingered, foamy, fizzy meringue-like head in a large red wine glass. Aromas of orange, banana, pear and peach with the same flavors with a bit of coriander and white pepper from the abbey ale Belgian yeast. Ingredients include Pilsner malt, German Northern Brewer hops and I'd guess some light Belgian candi sugar. IBUs at 31, a bit higher than I might have thought, with the ABV at 8%, a bit lower than I would have thought for the style. Serve with some soft, mild cheeses or fruit or sip by itself and chat with friends. Worth a single for sure (not sure of price as this was beer #4 in my Belgian/Belgian style 6er I got as a gift a couple weeks ago) but I'd guess $12-14 for a 4 pack.

6162c05260fbd163187800c3ea958ebe_320x320.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I like Green Man ESB as well.

What is interesting to me is that ESB is a fairly mild, subtle style that appears to generate a love it / hate it attitude among consumers.

Fortnight makes a good ESB, as does Gritty McDuff's in Portland, ME (really Freeport) area.
    Agree that ESB is a style that generates love/hate relationship. It is not an overpowering beer in terms of hops, malt or alcohol. It is kind of a subtle beer in my opinion. That also makes it difficult for a brewery to make a good one.

Fuller's is my favorite ESB and Sweetwater used to make a pretty good one but stopped making it a while back. Southern Tier Harvest is nice but only available in the fall. I've never heard of Fortnight (I see it is in Cary) and while I drank at a Gritty McDuff's in Portland once I don't think their ESB is widely available either.

Thanks everyone for all the Green Man knowledge.

Duvel-Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat

A world classic. What's not to like about this golden/triple ale? Shoot, Duvel (pronounced doo-vel) is Brabantian, Ghent and Antwerp dialect for devil, the standard Dutch word being duivel (from Wiki).

Poured into a red wine glass (sorry, I don't own any Duvel stuff ) from a 330 ml bottle, it appeared a slightly golden-yellow with a 2 finger, foamy, fizzy lacy head that lasted the entire 30 minutes of sipping during dinner tonight. Bouquet of flowers, light caramel and fresh pears, oranges and apples. Tastes of crusty French bread, honey, the same fruits and a bit of white pepper. Ingredients include Saaz and Styrian Golding hops, their proprietary yeast and I'll guess traditional European malts. I'll estimate 30 IBUs and the ABV is a dangerous, devilish 8.5%. This accompanied flounder stuffed with crab meat, sauteed zucchini and carrots, a baked potato, French bread and a mixed green salad. Beer #5 from my Belgian sampler from last month. Beer #6 on deck in another hour or so...

200px-Duvel_and_glass_sunday.jpg

Homebrew night

I don't currently brew, was lucky to sample some homebrews from people that know what they are doing, including:

Milk stout
    IPA
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Dopplebock
    Banana Dunkel Weizen
    Porter aged on Makers Mark soaked oak chips

Tripel-The Trappist abbey in Westmalle (officially called Abdij Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van het Heilig Hart van Jezus)

Another world classic. The last of the Belgian/Belgian style 6er I received from friends last month and a great way to finish the week celebrating a Duke win and another loss by the #2 team in the nation.

Decanted gently from a 330 ml bottle into a red wine glass (no, I don't own any Westmalle stems either ), it was a slightly hazy yellow-golden hue with just less than a 2 finger head. Flowers and assorted fruits including pears, peaches, apples and oranges tempted the olfactory region, followed by similar gustatory sensations along with medium brown/candi sugar, sourdough bread and a bit of black pepper. No grains/hops/ingredients listed so I'll guess pale/crystal/pilsner malts and Saaz, Tettnang and Styrian Golding hops, all fairly typical for European beers. Estimated IBUs of 30 and the ABV is dangerously deceptive at 9.5%. I haven't had one of these in 5 years or more but one never forgets this quality of ale. I'll leave "champagne" to describe DeuS but this and Duvel approach that texture/quaility. This would be marvelous with a plate of fresh berries and/or sliced fruit or simply sipped at the end of the day by itself.

tripel.jpg

Read about the abbey here:

http://www.trappistwestmalle.be/en/page/tripel.aspx

Tripel-The Trappist abbey in Westmalle (officially called Abdij Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van het Heilig Hart van Jezus)

Another world classic. The last of the Belgian/Belgian style 6er I received from friends last month and a great way to finish the week celebrating a Duke win and another loss by the #2 team in the nation.

Decanted gently from a 330 ml bottle into a red wine glass (no, I don't own any Westmalle stems either ), it was a slightly hazy yellow-golden hue with just less than a 2 finger head. Flowers and assorted fruits including pears, peaches, apples and oranges tempted the olfactory region, followed by similar gustatory sensations along with medium brown/candi sugar, sourdough bread and a bit of black pepper. No grains/hops/ingredients listed so I'll guess pale/crystal/pilsner malts and Saaz, Tettnang and Styrian Golding hops, all fairly typical for European beers. Estimated IBUs of 30 and the ABV is dangerously deceptive at 9.5%. I haven't had one of these in 5 years or more but one never forgets this quality of ale. I'll leave "champagne" to describe DeuS but this and Duvel approach that texture/quaility. This would be marvelous with a plate of fresh berries and/or sliced fruit or simply sipped at the end of the day by itself.

tripel.jpg

Read about the abbey here:

http://www.trappistwestmalle.be/en/page/tripel.aspx

220px-Westmalle_-_2_bouteilles.jpg

Picked up a couple of six packs of Unknown Brewing (Charlotte) for the game.

#KeepPounding, Go Panthers!!!