Page 42 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452921425421042 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

La Fin du Mond-Unibroue (Canada)-a light golden Belgian style ale that tastes slightly of coriander and cloves and spicy as in peppery (black peppery, not green,red,yellow/orange vegetable peppery). I might have to buy a Duvel and a Corsendonk (white) soon to compare these but the La Fin I believe is about as representative of the classic Belgian golden as you can get, is about 30-40% less than the Duvel and is 9% ABV but hides it very slyly.

ymm, beer

Not sure whether this belongs on this board for the beer or the EK board for the hops, err, hOOps, but I note that Montana (the University, I presume, and not the entire state) is coming to CIS and I wonder if they would bring us (me) any Moose Drool Ale to enjoy pre/post game.

ymm, beer

The Alaskan Brewing Company beer review series, chapter 1.

ESB-traditional maltiness (mostly caramel malts, I think). Slightly sweet from this aspect. Mild bitterness and slightly bready. Pretty typical. ABV about 5%.

ymm, beer

Alaskan Brewing Company-part 2:

ABC (that has a nice ring to it)-Summer Ale-pretty typical light summer ale. I believe this one is a kolsch with a gentle bouquet of floral hops, faint bitterness, little maltiness and a lemon grass aroma/taste. Got a free ABC amber ale pint glass by purchasing this one so I enjoyed it even more.

ymm, beer

ABC, part 3-Amber-pretty standard fare here. Probably their "flagship" beer. I like Fat Tire better but this is malty and smooth with faint hints of caramel and chocolate. Very slightly sweet and toasty. A nice session beer at about 5% ABV.

That New Glarus Raspberry is...I have no words for how good it is. We have a wedding in WI to go to coming up. I gotta pick some more New Glarus up.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That New Glarus Raspberry is...I have no words for how good it is. We have a wedding in WI to go to coming up. I gotta pick some more New Glarus up.
    Pretty amazing for a fruit beer. As I posted previously, even my wife liked it and she HATES beer. Is it available in St. Louis? If so, I am going to ask Lavabe to make the journey and hide some in his pantry for me for when we visit them in the fall. Try some of their other brews, too. I think you would like the Wisconsin Red almost as much as the Raspberry Tart.

Question Do they sell it in Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pretty amazing for a fruit beer. As I posted previously, even my wife liked it and she HATES beer. Is it available in St. Louis? If so, I am going to ask Lavabe to make the journey and hide some in his pantry for me for when we visit them in the fall. Try some of their other brews, too. I think you would like the Wisconsin Red almost as much as the Raspberry Tart.
    Will check later this week or early next week in Kentucky. I won't be in St. Louis anytime soon, but perhaps sometime in the fall it might work.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Will check later this week or early next week in Kentucky. I won't be in St. Louis anytime soon, but perhaps sometime in the fall it might work.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I can't wait. Perhaps I could meet Throaty in Winston-Salem over T-giving or Christmas for a delivery/pick-up.

I haven't seen New Glarus anywhere in StL, but then again, I only go to about two booze stores, both in Clayton. If I find it, y'all will be the first to know.

A friend who doesn't post much here anymore (WIDukie) tells me that there are some weird laws In Wisconsin about how much the micro companies are allowed to make, and most of their supply is sold in-state. Miller got this done a while back.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I haven't seen New Glarus anywhere in StL, but then again, I only go to about two booze stores, both in Clayton. If I find it, y'all will be the first to know.

A friend who doesn't post much here anymore (WIDukie) tells me that there are some weird laws In Wisconsin about how much the micro companies are allowed to make, and most of their supply is sold in-state. Miller got this done a while back.
    Bastards (miller, that is). I knew their distribution area was limited, but I thought it was cost control and not some outrageous law like that.

ymm, beer

ABC, part 4 (I think)-Alaskan Pale Ale-pretty pedestrian-typical pale ale-a bit lighter than a usual pale ale with very mild hoppiness, a hint of malty smoothness. Another nice session beer at about 5% ABV.

Fat Tire in a can

I'm back from the Rockies--great trip. All the beer I consumed while in Colorado was bottled or draft--but, I brought a twelve pack of FT in cans back with me. Drank the first one tonight while grilling. I drank it right from the can while it was fairly cold. I really liked it--a nice understated malt flavor with a bit of nut taste to it. IMO the can did not take anything away from the beer. I am a fan. The 12 pack was easy to transport. I hope they broaden their area and introduce more of their product in cans.

ymm, beer

Maudite-Unibroue-a medium brown Belgian style ale. Brown sugar? Molasses? Malty, malty, malty. 9% ABV. Perhaps some raisin or figgy flavors, too.

Hennepin from the Ommegang brewery - a delightful beer for a wonderful Seattle summer evening. A lighter choice, a little fizzy on the carbonation level - in a good way, but a solid, if slightly sweet taste. Something like 7.8% ABV - made for a nice buzz. Would DEFINITELY buy this again.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Hennepin from the Ommegang brewery - a delightful beer for a wonderful Seattle summer evening. A lighter choice, a little fizzy on the carbonation level - in a good way, but a solid, if slightly sweet taste. Something like 7.8% ABV - made for a nice buzz. Would DEFINITELY buy this again.
    That is GREAT that you can get the Ommegang stuff in Seattle. They were bought by Duvel (Moortgat?) several years ago and Duvel is probably the Belgian golden ale by which all others are measured. The carbonation is pretty typical for that style. Buy a Duvel sometime and pour it gently into a pint glass (or its own glass which is a goblet style, IIRC) and note how the head coats the sides of the glass and lingers throughout your enjoyment of the beverage. Most refer to this as "Belgian lace." Ommegang also makes Ommegang, a burgundian/brown ale which is their original, I believe. The Rare Vos is quite good and the Witte is a lighter wheat beer, which also sounds like it would be a winner on a Seattle summer evening. Three Philosophers is a dark brown ale with 2% cherry juice and is fabulous as an after dinner or dessert beer. We are out of town this weekend and there is a Hennepin in the 'fridge to enjoy on the deck as we watch the sunset (or moonrise) this evening.
    Last edited by devildeac; 07-26-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Mark Alarie at 2136. To post (more), or not to post-hmmm...

ymm, beer

Trois Pistoles-first one of these I have enjoyed in quite a while. Dark brown, creamy, rich and almost chewy. Excellent Belgian double/dubbel style ale. Molasses, chocolate/caramel, fig-like. 9% ABV.

Only 524 more to go(reference to LTE)

I just started following this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed. This summer I've been enjoying Blue Moon Honey Moon. It's Blue Moon's Summer Ale and it's got nice flavor for a light-bodied beer. You can taste hints of honey and orange and a small wedge of orange complements it nicely. I've enjoyed this beer with Sunday brunch as well as hamburgers and hot dogs.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I just started following this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed. This summer I've been enjoying Blue Moon Honey Moon. It's Blue Moon's Summer Ale and it's got nice flavor for a light-bodied beer. You can taste hints of honey and orange and a small wedge of orange complements it nicely. I've enjoyed this beer with Sunday brunch as well as hamburgers and hot dogs.
    Welcome. I doubt much has been duplicated in the 6-8 months this thread has existed. And, even if it has, it is always nice to read someone else's beer tastings. Keep sampling and keep us informed of your beer hunting excursions. I have not had a Blue Moon for years but that sounds like a tasty summer beverage to sample.

Talking Two cows, double bag strong ale

Trois Pistoles-first one of these I have enjoyed in quite a while. Dark brown, creamy, rich and almost chewy. Excellent Belgian double/dubbel style ale. Molasses, chocolate/caramel, fig-like. 9% ABV.

Only 524 more to go(reference to LTE)
    I greatly appreciate the Vermont DoubleBag Ale you sent down. Red color. I experienced a high ABV, but what I really enjoyed was the blend of hops and malt. Not too smooth, but with a nice bitterness.

Think we could get another 40 posts on Double Bag?

This was perhaps the biggest surprise brew of the year. Many thanks, devildeac.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe