Page 402 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3023523924004014024034044124525029021402 ... LastLast
Results 8,021 to 8,040 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Spring Hornin'-Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Total Wine summer close out special. $1 for a 12 ounce bottle and a good one, too. Labeled as a spring IPA (I have no idea WTH that means.), the date not printed on the bottle was probably past its prime but I thought it was still a quality IPA. Poured a 14K (maybe 16K) gold color with a mildly foamy head and scents of flowers and herbs with tastes of peach, tangerine and a bit o' honey on a lightly toasted croissant. (You think that's making stuff up? You oughtta read what the brewers and their marketing folks dreamed up about aromas and taste sensations with this one.) IBUs a bit lower than I thought, registering at 55 on the scale (I'd have thought 65-70 range) with an ABV of 6.8%. Here's the ingredients they'll actually admit to: Pale Two-Row malted barley, Crystal (40L), Munich (20L) with Columbus, Golding, Nugget, Northern Brewer hops. I've got 3 left and who knows where they'll go...

Spring-Hornin.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That is a very cool story.

1. How long have you been in Boone?

2. When are you coming to Asheville?
    About five and a half hours.

2. Not soon enough :-)
    No direct plans and need to make some, soon.

Word on the street is the purchase of 137 acres in south Buncombe County will be announced this week. There is a big rumor going around that it will be the home of Deschutes Brewing's east coast production facility

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Word on the street is the purchase of 137 acres in south Buncombe County will be announced this week. There is a big rumor going around that it will be the home of Deschutes Brewing's east coast production facility
    Deschutes is an excellent brewery and hopefully would make a great addition to Beer County, USA. I've had many of their session ales over the last 2 decades but sadly, very few of their big/specialty/seasonal ales which are reportedly outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "Hops are a wicked and pernicious weed"
    - King Henry VIII, 1519

Pernicious-Wicked Weed Brewing

I've thought for 3 days now whether it was all hype or hops and upon further review, I've decided this was an outstanding IPA and I'd easily put it in the Sculpin, Two Hearted Ale category among my favorites.

I actually bought two 4 packs of the newly available 330 ml bottles (C'mon, Wicked Weed, really?) at Bottle Revolution about 15 minutes after they were unloaded from their truck on Monday and sipped one Tuesday evening. Poured a straw color with a generous, foamy head and gorgeous aromas of pine/resin and mixed tropical and citrus fruits. First sips' impressions were fresh, fresh and fresh wet and almost oily hops with mango, pineapple, tangerine and some more piney notes. Very hop forward in the West Coast IPA style but not over-powering with slight caramel and bready/biscuity tastes for balance. This was delicious by itself and would be at home with a curry or Szechuan entree. I'll guess IBUs in the 70-80 range (WW does not enumerate on their web site or bottles) and the ABV is 7.3%, both on the edge of IIPA territory, but that's why they brewed Freak of Nature, a DIPA, and released it in 500 ml bottles at the same time as Pernicious. At $2.39/bottle Pernicious is worth seeking out and sampling/sharing/trading.
    Forgot to include Lunch and Blind Pig on my "list."

Deschutes is an excellent brewery and hopefully would make a great addition to Beer County, USA. I've had many of their session ales over the last 2 decades but sadly, very few of their big/specialty/seasonal ales which are reportedly outstanding.
    I've only had the Fresh Squeezed IPA which I thought was excellent.

Dear Beer Abby,

What is the proper response when you have a family member leave you half a case of Yuengling and a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy or two when they return to their home after their vacation and they are unable to take it with them on their flight?

Yours truly,

Perplexed

Dear Beer Abby,

What is the proper response when you have a family member leave you half a case of Yuengling and a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy or two when they return to their home after their vacation and they are unable to take it with them on their flight?

Yours truly,

Perplexed
    Dear Perplexed,

Yuengling isn't undrinkable, but I'm sure you have MANY better options. Cook with it. Put 2-3 bottles in a big pot with some onions and garlic and give some bratwurst a little parboil before throwing them on the grill. That's how we do it in Wisconsin.

Pour out the Leinie's Summer Shandy and recycle the can/bottle. That's how we do it in Wisconsin, too. Or at least what my brother-in-law and I do.

Also, for future visits tell your relatives with questionable beer taste that your beer fridge is pack in/pack out like a long nature hike. If you aren't going to drink it all, don't buy it.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Dear Perplexed,

Yuengling isn't undrinkable, but I'm sure you have MANY better options. Cook with it. Put 2-3 bottles in a big pot with some onions and garlic and give some bratwurst a little parboil before throwing them on the grill. That's how we do it in Wisconsin.

Pour out the Leinie's Summer Shandy and recycle the can/bottle. That's how we do it in Wisconsin, too. Or at least what my brother-in-law and I do.

Also, for future visits tell your relatives with questionable beer taste that your beer fridge is pack in/pack out like a long nature hike. If you aren't going to drink it all, don't buy it.
    I knew I could count on someone or perhaps several readers at DBR to assist with my conundrum. Great response! Thanks! I'll hoist one in your honor this evening, guaranteeing that it will not be one of the aforementioned liquids.

Dear Beer Abby,

Yours truly,

Perplexed
    PS-They also had some Redd's Apple Ale (which received a stunning 9 on ratebeer with 100 being the top score) but had the good sense () to finish that before stuffing it in with the shandies and Yuenglings)

Blind Squirrel Backwoods Blonde Ale

From the NC mountains (Plumtree, NC, on the banks of the North Toe River in Avery County). I happened upon this bomber, together with one of their brown ale, at our local Whole Foods a few weeks back. Pours a lovely gold with a mid-size off-white head. Pleasingly flavorful and quite refreshing. Great with a tomato sammy. The 4.7% ABV won't set you back. And their tag line could be the motto for this thread: "We're nuts about beer!"
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    From the NC mountains (Plumtree, NC, on the banks of the North Toe River in Avery County). I happened upon this bomber, together with one of their brown ale, at our local Whole Foods a few weeks back. Pours a lovely gold with a mid-size off-white head. Pleasingly flavorful and quite refreshing. Great with a tomato sammy. The 4.7% ABV won't set you back. And their tag line could be the motto for this thread: "We're nuts about beer!"
    I also enjoyed this one when I sampled it at Ale Share.

Dogfish Head Namaste

Great beer to drink whilst grilling shrimp and pineapple skewers on the last day before Da Boy starts middle school. Coriander and peppercorn notes. Yum!

Antigoon-Brouwerij De Musketiers

By Robert Wiedmaier, a (famous?) Belgian chef.

The legend:

Druon Antigoon is a Flemish folkloric character. He was a mythical giant who lived in Antwerp.

Guarding a bridge on the river Scheldt, he exacted a toll from those crossing the river. For those who refused, he severed one of their hands and threw it into the river. Eventually, Antigoon was slain by a young Roman soldier named Brabo, who cut off the giant's own hand and flung it into the river.

According to folklore, and as celebrated by the statue in front of the town hall, this legend is the origin of the name Antwerp: Antwerpen, from Dutch hand werpen—akin to Old English hand and wearpan (= to throw), that has changed to today's warp.

The beer:

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a pint glass, which barely contained the foamy egg-white head. Appeared a slightly hazy copper with aromas of flowers and orange juice with musty tastes of banana, peach and thick, pulpy OJ with a little bit of white pepper. Is this a Belgian pale ale or a blonde ale? I'm not sure. Bitterness is mild, guessing IBUs or 30 with a listed ABV of 6.8%. Bought on a whim at Total Wine two weeks ago for $2 off their $9 price for a 4 pack. I'd serve with soft cheeses and/or a fruit plate or a light seafood entree. Mussels anyone?

1_114123750_4_3.jpg

Time to go back to college for another degree:

http://www.newsobserver.com/living/f...e32299512.html

Wonder if they offer evening and/or weekend programs...

From 5/9/15:

Prometheus Unbound (draft/growler)-Big Boss Brewing

Drink local!

I'll thank Total Wine for printing $2 off coupons in their ad in Sunday's News and Observer, for if they hadn't done this, along with $1.50 off a 4 or 6 pack, I'd have probably not ventured into their North Raleigh store on Thursday evening and made any purchases. This was a fabulous find for $6 for a mini-growler that I shared with our son late last PM.

Poured a dark mahogany with a small, creamy head into a pint glass and sipped over 30-45 minutes. Enticing scents of red wine and dark berries were followed by taste explosions of the same with added bonuses of dark caramel, chocolate, sour patch kids dark fruits, oak and vanilla. Incredibly complex brew. I'd guess IBUs of 20-30 and the ABV is 8%. I wouldn't pair this with anything as the flavors are so rich that it's a stand alone/dessert beer. Worth seeking out today as it's a limited quantity release from their Strange Cargo series (http://bigbossbrewing.com/news.aspx) and won't be around long and might not be released/re-created again.
    From last PM (bottle):

The draft was better but the 12 ounce bottle I sipped over 60 minutes last PM from my Ommegang tulip was excellent also. Cost was about $4.50 with my 10% case discount so I bought 4 of these a few weeks ago from the Lafayette Village location of Raleigh's Crafty Beer Shop. This dark ale was aged a year in cabernet barrels which imparted the vinous notes, as expected. Maybe not so much sourness as a fresh draft. I've reconsidered and might pair this with some chocolate/fudge truffles or a slice of Black Forest cake for dessert, but, once again, it is a wonderful, stand-alone liquid dessert.

3Top3Hop-Boondocks Brewing

Drinking local in West Jefferson, NC!

First up in a 4 beer sampler with lunch today was this orange-amber hued IPA. Aromas from the 5 ounce glass were citrusy, floral and sweet with tastes that followed of orange, tangerine and caramel syrup. Bitterness was subdued and floral and a bit piney. I'll guess 50-60 IBUs. I got off to a potent start, too, with the ABV at 7.5%. Paired nicely with our shared sausage, mozzarella, parmesan, black olives, basil, oregano and portabella mushrooms flatbread and Caesar salad. It was a pleasant surprise as fuse had commented recently that he was disappointed with the beer here. His comments here, always appreciated, and shared again today before choosing my quartet, steered me away from the house brews for the remainder of my sampler.

Tripel-Blind Squirrel Brewery

Drink your neighbor's local beer!

"Imported" from nearby Avery County in Plumlee, err, Plumtree, NC, this golden Belgian style ale was a deep gold color with the expected scents of candi sugar/syrup, flowers, lightly baked biscuits, some spice and orange. Tastes followed pretty closely to the aromas with a bit of white pepper, banana and clove. This may have been a bit too sweet with its ABV of 9% and IBUs of 34. Another 5 ounce sample that paired well with the above food choices.

Tripel.jpg

Their motto? "We're nuts about beer."

Tripel-Blind Squirrel Brewery

Drink your neighbor's local beer!

"Imported" from nearby Avery County in Plumlee, err, Plumtree, NC, this golden Belgian style ale was a deep gold color with the expected scents of candi sugar/syrup, flowers, lightly baked biscuits, some spice and orange. Tastes followed pretty closely to the aromas with a bit of white pepper, banana and clove. This may have been a bit too sweet with its ABV of 9% and IBUs of 34. Another 5 ounce sample that paired well with the above food choices.

Tripel.jpg

Their motto? "We're nuts about beer."
    Both their blonde ale (reviewed unthread) and their brown ale are tasty as well.

Decadent-Ska Brewing

Elvis has left the building/town/county/state.

Sipping in the 3rd spot in the line-up today is this monster IIPA with its IBUs of 100 and ABV of 10%, originally brewed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their Colorado establishment. Pour was an orange-copper, aromas were citrus with a bit of pine and tastes were grapefruit zest/juice and caramel. And bitter, but not over-powering. This may have been a bit much for our entrees but it would certainly match well with Thai, Szechuan or curry dishes.

thumb_ska-decadent-imperial-ipa.jpg