Page 396 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2963463863943953963973984064464968961396 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Sponge Candy Stout

A Buffalo NY Imperial Stoutl

We shared one last night and what came to mind is a series of recent comments posted on this style of beer. Admittedly if I'm able to pick up and identify the flavors in a beer, then most anyone can. I did in fact get the coffee and chocolate notes right away(pretty hard to miss) . It is one of those 10% ABV beers that doesn't hit the palate as such.

image.jpg

Comments below edited and borrowed from Matt Kresconko

Imperial Sponge Candy Stout from Resurgence Brewing Company uses real pieces of Watson's sponge candy. (Matt Kresconko/Special to the News)

Resurgence Brewing is now offering(late 2014) its first bottled beer for sale. Available in 22-ounce bottles and marked at $12, Imperial Sponge Candy Stout is a higher alcohol, more intensely flavored version of the standard Sponge Candy Stout offered on tap at the brewery. Awarded best in Buffalo 2015, It's aged in bourbon barrels at the brewery.

Both versions of Sponge Candy Stout employ the same secret ingredient, Watson’s sponge-candy cuttings. Spare sponge candy chunks, sans chocolate, are added to the beer. The chocolate aroma and flavor is derived from the use of different roasted malts.

The Imperial Sponge Candy Stout pours out nearly black and passes no light. A dark tan head floats atop, and dissipates to an outer ring that lasts throughout the entire sitting.

Milk chocolate and light coffee notes dominate the aroma, along with a faint smokiness and mild, alcohol-induced warmth. The sponge candy aspect of this beer comes through in the beginning of the sip. A distinct sweetness, like burnt sugar, starts on the front end, followed by a wave of dark chocolate, and finally the bitterness of roasted coffee beans lingers in the finish.

The beauty of this beer lies in the use of roasted malts to balance the sweetness that strikes with the first sip. The residual sugars are tamed by the bitter roasted malts, like sipping on coffee alongside a decadent dessert. Its full body and moderate carbonation lend a velvety mouthfeel well suited for a beer of its size.

At 10 percent ABV, it’s nice that Resurgence chose to bottle this offering (IBU's unknown). It’s an excellent bottle to share with a friend at home, or split four ways with your after dinner dessert. Or better yet, substitute this beer in as your dessert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    A Buffalo NY Imperial Stoutl

We shared one last night and what came to mind is a series of recent comments posted on this style of beer. Admittedly if I'm able to pick up and identify the flavors in a beer, then most anyone can. I did in fact get the coffee and chocolate notes right away(pretty hard to miss) . It is one of those 10% ABV beers that doesn't hit the palate as such.

image.jpg

Comments below edited and borrowed from Matt Kresconko

Imperial Sponge Candy Stout from Resurgence Brewing Company uses real pieces of Watson's sponge candy. (Matt Kresconko/Special to the News)

Resurgence Brewing is now offering(late 2014) its first bottled beer for sale. Available in 22-ounce bottles and marked at $12, Imperial Sponge Candy Stout is a higher alcohol, more intensely flavored version of the standard Sponge Candy Stout offered on tap at the brewery. Awarded best in Buffalo 2015, It's aged in bourbon barrels at the brewery.

Both versions of Sponge Candy Stout employ the same secret ingredient, Watson’s sponge-candy cuttings. Spare sponge candy chunks, sans chocolate, are added to the beer. The chocolate aroma and flavor is derived from the use of different roasted malts.

The Imperial Sponge Candy Stout pours out nearly black and passes no light. A dark tan head floats atop, and dissipates to an outer ring that lasts throughout the entire sitting.

Milk chocolate and light coffee notes dominate the aroma, along with a faint smokiness and mild, alcohol-induced warmth. The sponge candy aspect of this beer comes through in the beginning of the sip. A distinct sweetness, like burnt sugar, starts on the front end, followed by a wave of dark chocolate, and finally the bitterness of roasted coffee beans lingers in the finish.

The beauty of this beer lies in the use of roasted malts to balance the sweetness that strikes with the first sip. The residual sugars are tamed by the bitter roasted malts, like sipping on coffee alongside a decadent dessert. Its full body and moderate carbonation lend a velvety mouthfeel well suited for a beer of its size.

At 10 percent ABV, it’s nice that Resurgence chose to bottle this offering (IBU's unknown). It’s an excellent bottle to share with a friend at home, or split four ways with your after dinner dessert. Or better yet, substitute this beer in as your dessert.
    Sign me up! And bring some of this, too:

1 lb. Gift Box Milk & Dark Chocolate Sponge Candy-$20.95

https://www.watsonschocolates.com/de...ex.cfm?nPID=15
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Nice article about a couple brothers who opened up their brewery in the Raleigh Five Points area last September:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...e29612854.html

First interesting quote:

“The tendency of Asheville brewers is a bit more creative perhaps, but the tendency of the Triangle brewers is a bit more nerdy,” Metzger said. “But there’s so much art in the nerdy side of beer. You can create amazing flavors if you understand the science of brewing.”

Take that, Beer City!

Another amusing quote:

“There are people who poo-poo Budweiser, but big beer is a quality product because it consistently meets specifications,” he says. “It may taste like crap to you, but it consistently tastes like crap.”

24.gif24.gif

FCA-Railhouse Brewery

Freedom from Corporate America

More indigenous imbibing!

From this relatively new brewery in Aberdeen, NC comes this English-style IPA. A bit more malt forward than the American style, the IBUs are still moderately high at 73 along with a grain bill yielding an ABV of 7.5%. Poured a light amber with a modest, creamy head, the aromas were earthy and herbal with hints of stone fruits. Tastes were toasted whole wheat bread, some more stone fruits and slight caramel sweetness. I procured 4 of these for about $1.90 each after a 2-3 ounce taster at Crafty Beer Store last week during this brewery's tasting night. Worth a comparison with an American-style IPA and a hoppy West Coast style, or to accompany some ribs or a beef roast roast off the grill or out of the oven.

A bit about the brewery:

"Railhouse Brewery was officially founded on Dec. 1, 2010 in the historic town of Aberdeen, North Carolina.

Founded by Brian Evitts of the U.S Navy, and Mike Ratkowski of the U.S Army, the brewery is proudly veteran-owned by 3 branches of the Armed Forces.

Our beers can currently be found across North Carolina, South Carolina and parts of Georgia. Keep an eye out for us as we continute to expand!"

Honeygirl Mead
    Durham, NC

Honeygirl Mead is good stuff.
    Most meads I've had have been sparkling.

I'm finding I prefer sparkling mead to still.

In spite of that, both the blueberry and the hibiscus lemon thyme are worth sampling if you like mead.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Honeygirl Mead
    Durham, NC

Honeygirl Mead is good stuff.
    Most meads I've had have been sparkling.

I'm finding I prefer sparkling mead to still.

In spite of that, both the blueberry and the hibiscus lemon thyme are worth sampling if you like mead.
    I'm a little bit scared of mead and am not sure if I mead to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    First mead I ever had in Colorado was awful and put me off trying it for a long time.

Like cherry? Try B Nektar Zombie Killer.
    Like Arnold Palmers' ? (Half ice tea / half lemonade) - try B Nektar Kill All Golfers.

Being made from honey you'd think sickly sweet (Zombie Killer is on the sweet side for sure) but for the most parts the meads I've had have been a bit dry.

In short if you can find flavours you like (not a fan of Necromangicon from B Nektar personally) the mead itself is a generally inoffensive backdrop.

Tends to drink more like a wine than beer for me, both in alcohol content and food pairing. The Honeygirl Hibiscus lemon thyme was really complex. I'm hoping the bottle of Orange Blossom Honey mead we have turns out to just be simple.

Not a great analogy- I felt the same way about cider til I tried it. I was never a fan of apple juice growing up so why drink hard cider? Yes, I like a good dry cider.

Hope this helps.

First mead I ever had in Colorado was awful and put me off trying it for a long time.

Like cherry? Try B Nektar Zombie Killer.
    Like Arnold Palmers' ? (Half ice tea / half lemonade) - try B Nektar Kill All Golfers.

Being made from honey you'd think sickly sweet (Zombie Killer is on the sweet side for sure) but for the most parts the meads I've had have been a bit dry.

In short if you can find flavours you like (not a fan of Necromangicon from B Nektar personally) the mead itself is a generally inoffensive backdrop.

Tends to drink more like a wine than beer for me, both in alcohol content and food pairing. The Honeygirl Hibiscus lemon thyme was really complex. I'm hoping the bottle of Orange Blossom Honey mead we have turns out to just be simple.

Not a great analogy- I felt the same way about cider til I tried it. I was never a fan of apple juice growing up so why drink hard cider? Yes, I like a good dry cider.

Hope this helps.
    Hard cider is on the rise, especially here in Asheville. Noble cider, Asheville's oldest cidery (is that even a word?), is opening a brand new facility just a quarter of a mile from my apartment

Urban Orchard is my favorite in town. Amusedcupcake and I went yesterday and tried their new raspberry cider - very tasty. They have an excellent dry cider, Dry Ridge. I highly recommend stopping by their West Asheville bar next time you come to town.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I see what you did there...

Peaches and bourbon make everything better

Jury is still out for me on Kombucha beer (talk about sour taste and distinct nose)!
    I will say that Unity Vibration Peach Bourbon kombucha beer is the best I've tried.

Battle of Sour Peach ales

I have for many summers advocated Dogfish Head Festina Peche as a great beer, and certainly among the great summer seasonals.

I missed the New Belgium Lips of Faith Eric's Ale the last time it was brewed (2007?).

Naturally, a ripe battleground for a side by side tasting.

Festina Peche poured a very light straw gold, Eric's Ale an old gold.

The nose on FP is lightly wheaty with a hint of fruit and sour.
    EA is very clearly from the NB foeder program- sour, musty, funky.

FP is clean, fresh- a light peach soda with a kiss of tartness.

EA is a one two punch of richer peach flavour, followed by complex layers of dry oak and sour fruit.

This is much like the comparison of Founder's Rubaeus and New Glarus Raspberry Tart.
    To my palate, the winner is clearly Eric's Ale.

The significant difference in ABV (7% EA, 4.5% FP) might be a big swing in the summer heat.
    I am pretty sure I could drink Festina Peche all day in the summer heat.
    One 22oz bomber of Eric's Ale could be a knockout on a hot NC summer day.

I don't recall Mother Earth's Windowpane Peaches having any sour to it. The Mother Earth offering might be a better competitor based on alcohol percentage and complexity.

I only bought one Eric's Ale. I may have to fix that- worth making an active effort to find if you like peach / fruit beer.

The Hops You Rode in on-Lonerider Brewing

More local stuff.

This started out nicely with a clean, clear copper color but a bit too much foam originating from a not-too-aggressive pour from my 12 ounce can. Should have thought something might be wrong but the aromas were pleasantly piney with some dark bready scents, too. Initial tastes were resin, a bit of tropical fruit but the finish was metallic, a bit harsh and maybe some early wet cardboard. I've had worse old/spoiled beers so I think this one may have been in its early stages of spoilage. I'm debating a second can tonight to give it another chance. I'm also considering returning the last 3 and asking for trade-ins or trade-ups. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The Hops You Rode in on-Lonerider Brewing

More local stuff.

This started out nicely with a clean, clear copper color but a bit too much foam originating from a not-too-aggressive pour from my 12 ounce can. Should have thought something might be wrong but the aromas were pleasantly piney with some dark bready scents, too. Initial tastes were resin, a bit of tropical fruit but the finish was metallic, a bit harsh and maybe some early wet cardboard. I've had worse old/spoiled beers so I think this one may have been in its early stages of spoilage. I'm debating a second can tonight to give it another chance. I'm also considering returning the last 3 and asking for trade-ins or trade-ups. Hmm...
    Canned? A bit surprising as I think this is a relatively new offering from Lonerider.

Not sure I've ever had a bad Lonerider beer. Equally sure I've never had a brilliant one either, Shotgun Betty comes close.

Canned? A bit surprising as I think this is a relatively new offering from Lonerider.

Not sure I've ever had a bad Lonerider beer. Equally sure I've never had a brilliant one either, Shotgun Betty comes close.
    I had a terrible Pace Maker Pale from them. I think it was just outdated, but without a bottled on date, who knows? Now I pass up on Lonerider when I'm beer shopping. Dates a VERY important!

They've got most of their regular offerings in cans now, I think. They've also got a Belgian-style dubbel that's $22 for a quartet of 16 ounce cans, too. Agreed on Shotgun Betty with Sweet Josie Brown not far behind. Pistols at Dawn was very, very, good, too.

Stone Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard

Punchline first- other than the marketing on the label (clever is always appreciated) I found myself underwhelmed by KBBA Arrogant Bastard.

Pours a nice shade of translucent brown, not unlike a bourbon.

I'm not sure I could differentiate the nose of KBBA from regular.

A big beer for sure- hoppy, malty good with maybe a bit of charcoal char on the finish.

Nice but nothing special ( how sad that is to type!).

Worth seeking out- glad I only bought 2 instead of the full six pack.

Terrapin 2015 Maggie's Blackberry Cobbler Imperial Farmhouse Ale

If you have had Terrapin's Maggie's Farmhouse Peach Saison, you know Terrapin makes a good saison style beer (fruited or not).

This is a limited edition 750ml, brewed with blackberries and graham crackers.

Oh had I hoped it would have poured an inky purple- alas, more of a murky rusty color.

The nose makes up for it in spades- ripe, sweet fresh blackberry, with a hint of a peppery spice saison.

You can almost taste the blackberry jam, so juicy! The finish is a very mild saison grassiness, a bit herbal and then again a tangy blackberry note to end on.

In short, you like blackberries, you like saison, you will like this beer.

Most Terrapin limited releases disappear quickly- this is a drop worthy of a summer afternoon celebration.

Outstanding!

Anyone here ever tried Lagunitas Equinox? They lable it as a "pale oat ale". Saw it this evening at the grocery store and almost grabbed a bottle. Never met a Lagunitas brew I didn't like

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Anyone here ever tried Lagunitas Equinox? They lable it as a "pale oat ale". Saw it this evening at the grocery store and almost grabbed a bottle. Never met a Lagunitas brew I didn't like
    Shoulda grabbed a bottle and sipped it with dinner or after dinner and let us know what it's like.

I can't recall a Lagunitias brew I disliked either.

IPA day

Sipping on a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter.
    Tasty!