Page 390 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2903403803883893903913924004404908901390 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,800 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He had 9 or 10 different ages that night.
    And some had aged better than others.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And some had aged better than others.
    Well, there ya go. Beer is just like life. Or maybe that should be beer is life.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well, there ya go. Beer is just like life. Or maybe that should be beer is life.
    At minimum it's evidence that God loves us and wants to be happy. Or so I've read on the Interwebz.

Happy Fourth weekend to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    At minimum it's evidence that God loves us and wants to be happy. Or so I've read on the Interwebz.

Happy Fourth weekend to all.
    It is indeed true because I know you've Be(e)n Frank(lin) with us all along .

Summer Ale-C*rolina Brewing Company

(See, my hatred even spills over into the Ymm, Beer thread.)

Free 12 ounce bottle during the Wednesday night's manager's reception at our hotel. Poured into a plastic cup () with a small head and a golden-yellow color and my first thought was a style somewhere between a lager and a pale ale and, upon reviewing their web site, I wasn't too far off as they describe it as a hybrid of a kolsch and an extra pale ale. So, the body was on the light side with floral scents and tastes with a bit of lightly toasted wheat bread and a sprinkle of light brown sugar on the palate. I'll guess IBUs of 20-25 and the ABV was 4.8% so I also enjoyed about a half a glass of the Stella draft I described above. Not a style I'd buy a 6er of but if offered a bottle/draft for some porch-sipping and chatting, I'd certainly accept.

Island 2 Highland

Reggae festival at Highland tonight. Raaaaastafari!

Hopefully they will have some better small batch offerings than last weekend's visit.

Southern Pines Brewing Co. Duckhook Cream Ale

Had a couple of these during rain delays at the U.S. Kids Golf event at Pinehurst No. 8 today. Nothing remarkable (basically tasted like a pretty standard lager), but it kept me from throttling Mother Nature, who sometimes is like what "they say" about karma.

Happy 4th to all !

We had a get together last night and my SIL brought this home for us to try.

Now the critics put this somewhere between ymm beer and ycch beer, leaning towards ycch.
    My beer palate is not as fine tuned as most here, one of my reasons for posting is, I was suprised the
    a double IPA with 75 IBu's would be as smooth as it was.

Can't get the pic to straighten out, apologies.
    Possibly the after effects of of an 8.40 ABV evening.

image.jpg

From daily Beer Review
    Some specifications... 75 IBUs. This is actually on the low side for a Double (or Imperial) IPA. According to the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) Guidelines, an Imperial IPA should have an IBU (International Bittering Units) range from 60 - 120. Not that it really matters too much...but let's continue. Original Gravity is stated on the label as 17.15, which is clearly a Plato number. This translates to just over 1.070, which is right at the bottom of the range for the style at 1.070 - 1.090. Yet, it has 8.4% ABV...which explains it even more. It is a fairly dry beer. According to the calculations, the final gravity must be somewhere between 1.008 and 1.009 then...pretty dry. Where does this fall within the guidel

From Beer Advocate

Brewed by:
    Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
    Wisconsin, United States

Style | ABV
    American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.40% ABV

Availability: Year-round

Opinions?
    Let's go DUKE !!!

6 pack sampler of 5 ounces each from the Yard House last PM:

From lightest color to darkest, also taking IBU and ABV into consideration:

Prima Pils-Victory Brewing

The way a Czech pilsner should be. Czech Saaz and Norther Brewer hops lend floral notes to the nose and palate and German malts impart a light breadiness to the taste. Yellow-straw color with a light, fluffy head that didn't linger long. Very mild bitterness, guessing 20 IBU with an ABV of 5.3% that paired nicely with our spinach cheese dip and flatbread appetizer.

Pale Ale 2.0-Stone Brewing

Always trying something new. This time it's a combination of 3 hop varieties, the later two of which are new to me: Magnum, Herkules and Mandarina Bavaria. They give this not-quite-an-IPA some scents and aromas of citrus, peach and tangerine with tastes to match. Color was a light gold-yellow with a small, foamy head. I'll guess IBUs of 50 with the ABV at 6% so this helped finish the spinach cheese dip and start a ginormous plate of chicken nachos.

Spring Bock-C*rolina Brewing Company

Drink local!

This'll finish the first half of the sampler. I reviewed the bottle version recently and think I compared it to an old draft review but, in case I didn't, I've freshened it up a bit. Arrived a straw-yellow hue with a small head and a nose of toasted croissants drizzled with a little brown sugar syrup. Perhaps a bit of herbal bitterness but the bready, malty tastes shine here. I'll guess IBUs of 20 as it's a lager and the ABV was 6.5%. Good beer but it wasn't a good pairing with the remainder of the nachos. A hoppy IPA would likely have worked better.

Beer #4

Strawgator-Abita Brewing

(Disclaimer: This in no way is meant to be confused or associated with Stray Gator.)

This was my least favorite beer of the sampler. I generally like fruit beers, mostly in the summer. I really like doppel bocks, in fact, one of my favorite styles. I just didn't like this combination of their Strawberry Lager and Andygator, a Helles doppel bock. Maybe it's my perception of Abita as an ok but not good brewery. It arrived a slightly cloudy amber-yellow-pink color and smelled faintly of strawberry jam laden croissants and tasted the same. Minimal bitterness as expected of the bock/doppel/lager styles at 27 IBU. Standard ABV for double bocks at 8% ABV, but just not a pleasant taste/aftertaste. Not Ycch, Beer worthy but not one I'd visit again.

Haw River Two Prong Double IPA

On tap at Tyler's.

Another excellent Haw River beer.
    Not as in your face as most DIPAs, eminently drinkable.

Midnight Brett (draft)-Allagash Brewing

Excellent choice to save for a dessert starter and then the one to follow for the finish. Served as a 5 ounce sample, it was dark brown in color with a small head. Dark fruits initially with a bit of funk and mustiness on the nose. Tastes were very complex with dark, sour cherries, hints of chocolate covered orange marmalade jellied candies and Warhead dark berry candies. Hops were Perle, Glacier and Simcoe, grains were 2-Row malt, midnight wheat, raw wheat and rye and fermented with Brettanomyces in stainless steel tanks. No IBU stated so I'll guess 30 with an ABV of 7.3%. Liquid dessert but I could be convinced to try again with a slice of Black Forest cake or perhaps a raspberry chocolate torte.

Blushing Monk (draft)-Founders Brewing

This is a repeat release from 2011 and the only ale they've brought back from their Backstage Series. It's a dark Belgian style ale that is a deep red-brown color with a very small head with an exquisite dark berry bouquet. Tastes are an explosion of dark red and black raspberries and semi-sweet chocolate. I'm thinking Imperial Rubaeus or an Imperial lambic here. Can't find any hops or grains listed so I'll estimate 20 IBUs but the ABV is listed at 9.2% so this is dangerously easy to sip but the sweetness (and likely price) will most likely limit consumption of large quantities of this. More liquid dessert but I could imagine a tulip of this with a slice of oreo cheesecake or a triple chocolate layer/pound cake.

Oskar Blues apparently makes coffee now.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    They must have talked to Fullsteam.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    And root beer...but it's not your father's root beer.

Puck the Beer-North Coast Brewing

Not to be confused with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(mythology)

We talked about petite/small/table saisons upthread a bit so here's another to add to your lists. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a wine glass and appeared a gold-straw color with a fizzy white head that lingered for a while. There's a bit of pepper in the nose along with some grass. Tastes are about as expected with some underripe apples and pears, a pinch of black pepper. Very easy sipping at IBUs of 27 and low ABV at 4% from Pils and wheat malts. Serve with some fruit before a meal or some light chicken or seafood entrees.

Unknown Brewing Pregame Session Ale

From the brewer:

You wake up and that first thought is . . .

Today is going to be a big day. It may be a tail gate, a pontoon party, a wedding, or it may be getting ready to run with the bulls.

The fact remains you’ve got to get ready for the big day or prepare for a long night. It’s time to Pre-Game.

Pre-Game is a Session Ale, this means this beer has great drinking potential. At 4.5% it beholds all of the craft flavor that you crave, but stays away from being too heavy. This beer is golden in color and low in bitterness. Hops do come through in a sweet piney aroma that makes the end of every sip sound like . . . Game Time!

I grabbed a six-pack of cans for poolside imbibing over the Fourth holiday. The brewer's description is accurate to my eyes and tastebuds. It was as sessionable as the Southern Pines Duckhook cream ale reviewed upthread, but more flavorful. I would guesstimate IBU in the 20s. Of course, it sounds like it wouldn't make the cut at Duke football pregame events, but that's just a testament to the quality beer tastes of the tailgaters . . . . .