Page 368 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2683183583663673683693703784184688681368 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,360 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Palo Santo Marron (2/2/11)-Dogfish Head Brewing

I'm still celebrating.

I must "cellar" my ales more carefully than fuse because I thought this 4+ year old version was outstanding. It's an "unfiltered and unfettered" brown ale that is aged in 10,000 gallon Paraguayan Palo Alto wood vessels. Poured an almost opaque mahogany hue with hints of ruby with a very small, short-lived head. Aromas of dark, dried fruits, wood and vanilla. Tastes of the same with a hint of smoke, some caramelized dark sugar and dark rummy notes. Exquisitely smooth and almost oily. This was dangerously drinkable despite its 12% ABV as I allowed it to warm a bit and sipped this 12 ounce serving from a pint glass over 30-45 minutes. Hops are merely bystanders here, even with stated IBUs of 50. This is one of those buy-it-if-you-see-it ales, guessing a 4 pack will set you back about $15 so you can drink one, trade one and age a couple for several years. I've got one left and can't decide what to do with it...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This evening I was playing some games with my sons and son in law, my youngest son brought these out
    and it was evident that I should share on Ymmm beer, besides I owe one post at least.

I thought it was very well brewed, quite drinkable, maybe a bit too drinkable.

Highly recommended

HopsideDown_IMG_1140.jpg

from their website:

About Hopside Down IPL
    We’re turning things deliciously upside down with an aggressively hopped, cold-fermented brew that brings together the clean, crisp finish of a lager with the hoppy aroma and character of an IPA. Prost! to turning convention on its head.

MALTS: Caramel 10L, Pale
    HOPS: Alchemy for bittering, and Cascade for aroma
    OG: 15.0 P
    AE: 2.5 P
    ABV: 6.7%
    COLOR: 8.0 L
    IBU: 50
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Palo Santo Marron (2/2/11)-Dogfish Head Brewing

I'm still celebrating.

I must "cellar" my ales more carefully than fuse because I thought this 4+ year old version was outstanding. It's an "unfiltered and unfettered" brown ale that is aged in 10,000 gallon Paraguayan Palo Alto wood vessels. Poured an almost opaque mahogany hue with hints of ruby with a very small, short-lived head. Aromas of dark, dried fruits, wood and vanilla. Tastes of the same with a hint of smoke, some caramelized dark sugar and dark rummy notes. Exquisitely smooth and almost oily. This was dangerously drinkable despite its 12% ABV as I allowed it to warm a bit and sipped this 12 ounce serving from a pint glass over 30-45 minutes. Hops are merely bystanders here, even with stated IBUs of 50. This is one of those buy-it-if-you-see-it ales, guessing a 4 pack will set you back about $15 so you can drink one, trade one and age a couple for several years. I've got one left and can't decide what to do with it...
    Mine have quite literally been in the fridge since purchase :-(

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Mine have quite literally been in the fridge since purchase :-(
    Perhaps I can trade my 2011 for your 2013.

Jubilee VIII-Alewerks Brewing

This is their anniversary ale and is a Belgian style dark/strong ale aged in rum casks, not barrels, as this is a Williamsburg, VA brewery. As expected, it poured a dark, dark brown with a bit of ruby and a small head. Think of liquid, dark dried fruits including raisins, dates, figs and cherries that have been soaked in dark rum for a while. Gorgeous nose with a velvety texture mouthfeel with the aromas matching the tastes plus a bit of dark brown sugar and caramel. Dangerously sippable at 10% ABV (from their website-not listed on the bottle) and an estimated IBU of 20-30. The malts/grains and sweetness win here with minimal hop balance but not overly boozey. I could imagine a few nibbles of chocolate/rum balls/truffles with this but half of a 375 ml bottle last evening and tonight were perfect as dessert and as a prelude to a small tasting of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. This was pretty spendy at about $10 for the small, corked and caged bottle but I didn't go to Indy so this was my indulgence, along with a trip to the Bryan Center on Saturday to see what they have left in championship swag.

Attachment 5017
    Label said brewed in gratitude. I was looking for some gratitude, hoping to find some in the bottle ;-)

Nose is sugary, alcohol, and wet wood.

The rum barrel aging comes through pretty clearly along with raisin and fig.

I agree with devildeac that the alcohol is pretty subtle, up until a mild afterburn between sips.

I found my gratitude in devildeac's general direction.

Good stuff!

I've heard from a good source that a new craft brewery and restaurant that is scheduled to open in Asheville this summer will be selling these:

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/...-to-go-5753091

oskar_blues_crowler.jpg

Alewerks Lovers Greed Wild Ale

Bottle says 1 pint, 9 ounces. Might be a miracle considering the bottle is smaller than a 22oz bomber.

No way, considering I fit all but a final swig from the bottle into a pint glass.

Typical wild ale - sweet, tart, grassy mildly funky nose.

A wonderful brilliant clear amber in colour.

Can a beer be both severely under carbonated and effervescent at the same time?
    No head to speak of during the pour, no bubbles in the glass and yet tickles the tongue delightfully.

Would have made a nice side by side tasting with the Le Terroir in hindsight, although Lover's Greed is both sweeter and less hoppy.

Not overly sweet up front, mildly tart at the finish.

Really a very nice beer.

Another devildeac special- thank you!

Bottle says 1 pint, 9 ounces. Might be a miracle considering the bottle is smaller than a 22oz bomber.

No way, considering I fit all but a final swig from the bottle into a pint glass.

No head to speak of during the pour, no bubbles in the glass and yet tickles the tongue delightfully.

Would have made a nice side by side tasting with the Le Terroir in hindsight, although Lover's Greed is both sweeter and less hoppy.

Really a very nice beer.

You're most welcome. I haven't had mine yet but, after your review, it might be tonight in my 2010 National Championship pint glass (plus a swig). I think they omitted the decimal point in the fluid ounces statement.

Our flight leaves at 5:40 am for Beercation '15.

I'll try to take notes on some of the beer I try. It will be cool going in to the CO. Oskar Blues wearing my Brevard Oskar Blues T-shirt: )

Really a very nice beer.

Lover's Greed (2014)-Alewerks Brewing

Poured a mildly cloudy, amber hue with a hint of ruby and a very small head. Aromas of red zinfandel, sweet and sour cherries and some barnyard funk. Tastes like liquid raspberry-cherry Sour Patch Kids that have been run through a Randal with red and white zinfandel and some Rodenbach. It's a Belgian-style ale aged in red wine barrels for 18 months and fermented with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus and malts including Pils, Pale, Wheat, Rye and Crystal. No hops mentioned. I'll guess IBUs of 20-30 and I think the ABV is about 7%. It was frighteningly easy to sip this ~$10-12 corked and caged 500 ml bottle over about 30 minutes. Sometimes you take chances with beers and it looks like this one pleased both our palates. I'm still celebrating from two weeks ago.

Ballast Point Sculpin Habanero IPA

A really, really interesting brew. If you want something with some heat, to stand up against very spicy food, this is for you. 7% ABV and 70 IBUs, it is amazingly well-balanced. I paired it with some pretty spicy nachos, and it was wonderful. Their website also suggests coconut basmati rice, Jamaican jerk chicken, or tropical bread pudding.

http://www.ballastpoint.com/beer/sculpin-with-habanero/
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I've heard from a good source that a new craft brewery and restaurant that is scheduled to open in Asheville this summer will be selling these:

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/...-to-go-5753091

oskar_blues_crowler.jpg
    Now, if you could find a way to post a picture of a car door that you received, we would all know the name of the brewery.

By the way, Pisgah Brewing is having their 10th Anniversary party on Sunday with outstanding bands and the Vortex II, Cosmos, Red Devil, Tripel and more on tap. Looks like a great finish to another busy weekend for us here in Beer City, USA.

ricks

Ice cream flavored beer

I feel compelled to report that Ben and Jerry's are working with New Belgium Brewing to produce an ice cream flavored beer. Some
    predictable yowling from people about whether this is an effort to get kiddies addicted to beer (pretty lame argument) and some ruffled
    feathers that one of Vermont's craft brewers isn't being used...but New Belgium is quite a bit bigger and can take this on more easily.

End of report from the thawing North.

p.s. I'm not sure this prospect appeals to me..

Anyone tried brewing with lavender or had a lavender beer? I've got a bush growing in my yard and I'm anxious to experiment. I've read that it doesn't take a lot to make the lavender pretty potent. Seems like it would be good as an pale ale or maybe even an ipa.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I feel compelled to report that Ben and Jerry's are working with New Belgium Brewing to produce an ice cream flavored beer. Some
    predictable yowling from people about whether this is an effort to get kiddies addicted to beer (pretty lame argument) and some ruffled
    feathers that one of Vermont's craft brewers isn't being used...but New Belgium is quite a bit bigger and can take this on more easily.

End of report from the thawing North.

p.s. I'm not sure this prospect appeals to me..
    There may be too many Ben and Jerry flavors to narrow this down. I'd find the kiddie argument to be ridiculous. If one wants a beer/ice cream combo, drop a scoop or two of a relatively simple ice cream into about 6 oz of a brown ale/porter/stout and you have a beer float. If you don't like it, experiment with different ice cream flavors and different beer styles. This way, if you really don't like it, you never "waste" a whole beer. I guess I do this once every couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    A really, really interesting brew. If you want something with some heat, to stand up against very spicy food, this is for you. 7% ABV and 70 IBUs, it is amazingly well-balanced. I paired it with some pretty spicy nachos, and it was wonderful. Their website also suggests coconut basmati rice, Jamaican jerk chicken, or tropical bread pudding.

http://www.ballastpoint.com/beer/sculpin-with-habanero/
    Bob Green and I have a new rule: no habaneros in beer. Now, some mild peppers (Ancho or Anaheim chiles) in a dark beer with a bit of cinnamon and/or nutmeg (see Vertical Epic 11-11-11) resembles a mole sauce and is palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Anyone tried brewing with lavender or had a lavender beer? I've got a bush growing in my yard and I'm anxious to experiment. I've read that it doesn't take a lot to make the lavender pretty potent. Seems like it would be good as an pale ale or maybe even an ipa.
    I think I had some a short time ago by the brewer at the soon to be opening new brewhouse in AVL. Can't remember which of the great beers of his it was, however.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Here's one I tasted and reviewed in October, 2014:

Saison-Stone Brewing

WTH? Stone Brewing, among the hopmeisters of the world, brewing a farmhouse ale? Yep, and a very interesting one, too. Poured a light golden with a fluffy, creamy, lingering Belgian lace head. This is brewed with products from their 19 acre "garden" associated with their World Bistro Garden and Restaurants. Lemon zest, lemon thyme and lavender are listed among the ingredients and they all impart different aromas and flavors. As expected, the nose is herbal, floral and lemon-y from the lemon zest , lemon thyme and lavender. It really did smell like freshly grated and squeezed lemons along with crushed thyme and flowers. Tastes mirrored this with a dry first taste and finish and more herbal, black pepper and dried lemon peel in between. And, if you twisted my arm a couple times, I could probably be convinced to add apples and pears to the perceived tastes. It's a bit more bitter (bitter-er?) than I might have thought with IBUs of 45 and the ABV was as expected at 6%. It would be appropriate to serve this with herbal chicken entrees or perhaps a shrimp or salmon Caesar salad. This was also $1.65/12 ounce bottle and I have 3 "leftovers" to trade/share/provide as a 30th birthday beer sampler.

I'll search and see if there are any others that I've sampled.

Fullsteam Batch 1000

Was able to snag one of 300 bottles today, and have it on draft at the source.

Bourbon barrel aged wheat wine made with Cheerwine.

Tasty and fun.

Also managed to pick up bottles of Wicked Weed Brett Burglar at Sam's- excited to cool them down and try them.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I think I had some a short time ago by the brewer at the soon to be opening new brewhouse in AVL. Can't remember which of the great beers of his it was, however.

ricks
    Thanks for popping by today, Ricks! I'm excited about your new venture. Very much looking forward to being a patron.