Page 358 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2583083483563573583593603684084588581358 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Growler of Highland Devil's Britches, growler of Port Shark Attack. Which to open?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Growler of Highland Devil's Britches, growler of Port Shark Attack. Which to open?
    Home town bias says go with Devil's Britches!

image.jpg

Done. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg

Done. Yum.
    I'd like a mug of that!

Who here has had any Devil's Backbone beers? And which?
    Last edited by duketaylor; 03-05-2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Who here has had any Devil's Backbone beers? And which?
    I haven't as not many Virginia craft beers make it to NC. I did have a sampler and buy some 750 ml brewers' reserve beers from Blue Mountain in June, 2012 when we took our Civil War mini-vacation.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Troegs is a recent addition to the NC beer market.

I have friends who rave about Troegs, particularly Nugget Nectar.

Piney, grassy, herbal nose. Maybe a bit of lemon.
    Amber in the glass - appropriate for an imperial Amber ale.

Bitter in a pleasant way throughout. A bit sticky and thick in mouthfeel.
    Not really balanced, but some malty notes interwoven with the hoppiness.

I must be getting my sea legs back- this is definitely an alcohol presenting beer at 7.5%, not offensive and noticeable.

I guess I had high expectations for Nugget Nectar. Great beer and did not knock my socks off.
    Recommended and worth seeking out.
    Our local Lowes Foods apparently has it on tap in their Beer Den this weekend. I may just have to pay a visit . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

2014 Mother Earth Silent Night imperial Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Stout

This might be my favorite beer.

Not starting out quite right, with a very soy sauce nose.

Notes of coffee, boozy bouquet.

First snifter pour (sharing with the LoveNinja) a pretty frothy head, the second snifter, less so.

750ml corked and caged, the cork was wedged in so tight it literally took me over 5 minutes to get the cork out, and my thumbs are still sore. Crazy airtight.

As it warms up, the nose is shifting from soy (ick) to vanilla.

Glorious mouthfeel, rich, roasty, and a finish that transitions from coffee to dry oak.
    The bourbon characteristics are not coming to the fore, so Silent Night is still too cold.

Waiting a little while on the second sip is not quite agonizing but certainly is trying my patience.

It's worth it. Chocolate gives way to coffee, followed by the tongue drying oak notes and finishing with bourbon notes that shift the tongue from dry to numb.

Now a bourbon and vanilla nose. Still wonderful mouthfeel, coating the tongue and a very pronounced bourbon finish.

Silent Night represents the best of what a complex beer can be. It is a hard hitter at 9%, and presents/drinks bigger than that.

Mother Earth works with Counter Culture on the coffee roast. As a result and by design, no two years of Silent Night are exactly alike.

It is a very realize-able dream of mine to go to Kinston for a weekend, tour Mother Earth, eat at the Chef and Farmer, and close out the Mother Earth tap room.

Mother Earth is my favorite NC brewery, and Silent Night my favorite beer.
    I was lucky to get 4 from Bruisin Ales, I am cellaring three in hopes to do another 3 or 4 year vertical tasting in a few years.

We seem to be in a renaissance of session beer, which I think is fantastic.
    The big beer arms race got to be a bit silly.

I've never had Dark Lord, or Kate the Great. Of all the imperial stouts (or stouts of any kind) I've been fortunate to sample, Mother Earth Silent Night is my favorite.

Cannot recommend more highly. Find it, buy it, drink it, cellar it. Well, well worth it.

Haw River Three Laws

Speed review. black saison with lime and peppercorn.

Smelled like limes, tasted like a (pepper) spicy coke.

Worth seeking out.

Had a Duclaw Brewery Sweet Baby Jesus beer last night. It was dessert in a bottle, which is what I was looking for. I was trying to get away on a technicality - made a decision to give up dessert rather than alcohol for Lent. I guess I'll find out eventually if God accepted my rationale that the beer was not, by definition, dessert. At any rate, it was advertised as a chocolate peanut butter beer and it was exactly as advertised. I could definitely taste both the chocolate and peanut butter notes. Neither was overpowering, and both made for a good, heavy, flavorful beer. I can't imagine drinking it as anything other than an after-dinner beer. But, for that purpose, it was quite good.

I've never had anything else by Duclaw but I plan to.

Asheville Brewing Company Love Ninja

I feel like I am taking things a bit out of order. First was Ninjabread Man.
    Now, Love Ninja.
    I will eventually get to the base beer, Ninja Porter. (Thanks mattman!)

First a shout out to the beer loving DBR community- I believe this was a gift from ricks68 via devildeac (I owe you one- first drink on me when I am in Asheville next!).

First glass went to the one and only LoveNinja, second pour did not have as generous or long lasting a head.

No note of ABV on the bottle for this raspberry porter.

Nose smells of chocolate and raspberry.

Whoosh, an explosion of sweet raspberry fruit is the first impression.
    A bit of bitterness and a roasty malt ending.

Love Ninja is a really nice sipping beer, and a pretty nice dessert before dinner option this afternoon.

I really applaud a brewery that makes a good base beer and is not afraid to shake it up with seasonal variations.
    Asheville Brewing Company appears to have found a nice niche with their porter and done a good job keeping it interesting with seasonal variations.

The chocolate and mint combination seems to be getting play in the stout world ( at least at Raleigh Brewing and Crank Arm). I'd love to see a chocolate mint Ninja porter.

Thanks devildeac and ricks68!

Speaking of Asheville residents

I hear Twin Leaf is releasing its first bottled beer on Sunday, March 8.

Anyone who cares to acquire a bottle for me, I'd be much obliged :-)

I hear Twin Leaf is releasing its first bottled beer on Sunday, March 8.

Anyone who cares to acquire a bottle for me, I'd be much obliged :-)
    I owe you...consider it done! I'm currently at my parent's house near Hickory for the UNCheat game tonight, but I should be back in Asheville around 2 or so tomorrow. Not sure if there will be a strict bottle limit, but I will try to get one for both you and Devildeac.
    Last edited by mattman91; 03-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

New Glarus Snowshoe Winter Ale

Never had this before, courtesy of devildeac.

Went exceptionally well with a beef roast, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans oven roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. (As an aside, is there any better way to prepare vegetables than oven roasting with olive oil, salt and pepper? Asparagus, I am looking at you.)

An amber ale, malty nose.
    The clarity in the glass is exceptional, crystal copper in hue.

Exceptionally well balanced, maybe slightly tilted toward malty.
    Evokes memories of Killian's, and I am confident side by side I'd be wrong on that count.
    Caramel malt drives the flavor, might even be possible to mistake the style as an ESB.

Way too easy to drink, very sessionable. Getting an ale this crisp and clean is a work of art.

Time to start thinking about that New Glarus road trip again. Who's in?

Thanks again devildeac!!!

Hoots Gashopper IPA

Giving props to one of W-S's newest breweries. I haven't actually been to their location yet (soon!), but this is a solid IPA that Lowes Foods had on tap. Golden brown pour with a very thick, foamy head. Decent citrus and well-balanced. Not over-hopped at 70 IBU. Alcohol at 6.3% ABV made the 32-ounce growler go down fairly easily between me and Mrs. Tripping. I was quite impressed as well by the length of the finish. A worthy effort here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Thank you for Love Ninja!

Thanks to devildeac and ricks68 for Love ninja from loveninja!

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I owe you...consider it done! I'm currently at my parent's house near Hickory for the UNCheat game tonight, but I should be back in Asheville around 2 or so tomorrow. Not sure if there will be a strict bottle limit, but I will try to get one for both you and Devildeac.
    You are a gentleman and a scholar and a true beer knurd. Thank you.

I feel like I am taking things a bit out of order. First was Ninjabread Man.
    Now, Love Ninja.
    I will eventually get to the base beer, Ninja Porter. (Thanks mattman!)

First a shout out to the beer loving DBR community- I believe this was a gift from ricks68 via devildeac (I owe you one- first drink on me when I am in Asheville next!).

First glass went to the one and only LoveNinja, second pour did not have as generous or long lasting a head.

No note of ABV on the bottle for this raspberry porter.

Nose smells of chocolate and raspberry.

Whoosh, an explosion of sweet raspberry fruit is the first impression.
    A bit of bitterness and a roasty malt ending.

Love Ninja is a really nice sipping beer, and a pretty nice dessert before dinner option this afternoon.

I really applaud a brewery that makes a good base beer and is not afraid to shake it up with seasonal variations.
    Asheville Brewing Company appears to have found a nice niche with their porter and done a good job keeping it interesting with seasonal variations.

The chocolate and mint combination seems to be getting play in the stout world ( at least at Raleigh Brewing and Crank Arm). I'd love to see a chocolate mint Ninja porter.

Thanks devildeac and ricks68!
    Well, you were actually charged $6 for it on your last beer bill/trading session, but you're still welcome. (Ricks68 is a really good guy but he ain't a beer hunter for free.)

Port Shark Attack. Hungry for goat/sheep/ewe.

Drink good beer. Go to Hell Carolina.

Never had this before, courtesy of devildeac.

Went exceptionally well with a beef roast, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans oven roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. (As an aside, is there any better way to prepare vegetables than oven roasting with olive oil, salt and pepper? Asparagus, I am looking at you.)

An amber ale, malty nose.
    The clarity in the glass is exceptional, crystal copper in hue.

Exceptionally well balanced, maybe slightly tilted toward malty.
    Evokes memories of Killian's, and I am confident side by side I'd be wrong on that count.
    Caramel malt drives the flavor, might even be possible to mistake the style as an ESB.

Way too easy to drink, very sessionable. Getting an ale this crisp and clean is a work of art.

Time to start thinking about that New Glarus road trip again. Who's in?

Thanks again devildeac!!!
    You're welcome. I consider this nicely offset/favor returned with you recent assortment of Maine Beer Company beverages.