Page 345 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2452953353433443453463473553954458451345 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,900 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Mattman attended the Asheville Winter Beer Festival 2 days ago and no report. Do we need to send out a beer search party?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Can we convene tomorrow and head to Asheville???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Can we convene tomorrow and head to Asheville???!!!
    I've got full clinics all week so no trip to the beer capital of the south for me. Ricks68 could probably show you a brewery or 20. No word from mattman. Probably sleeping off a beer fest hangover.

devildeac, c'mon, please. Roadtrip!! Had 2nd interview today w a certain company, so I'm gonna be unavailable soon, hopefully

devildeac, c'mon, please. Roadtrip!! Had 2nd interview today w a certain company, so I'm gonna be unavailable soon, hopefully
    Just can't but I'll support that certain company if it's who you told me it was a couple weeks ago.

Post 6879 Devildeac

Winter Warmer '15 was a huge success! I don't know exactly how many samples I had, but it was definitely enough to keep me from driving my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home . That being said, I'll give a quick run down of a few that I liked/disliked.

While nothing I had was in the ychh, beer category, there were a few that I would pass in the future. The Miami Brewing Vice IPA was a bit off for me. I am kind of a hop head, so I have high standards for my IPAs. This one seemed to be lacking in complexity. Lots of citrusy (is that even a word?) up front with a very mild sweetness, maybe caramel. Not very balanced in my opinion. The mouth feel was watery, not sure the IBUs or ABV, but it drank almost like a session IPA, which is not good when that isn't what you are aiming for.

The other loser of the festival was a personal let down for me, as it was from the new(ish) Granite Falls Brewery (the town I grew up in). I don't remember the name of it, couldn't even find it on their website. No biggy though, nothing I would ever seek out. The beer was a session porter, which that is probably where the problem probably started for me. A porter, to me,should be robust and flavorful, this was murky water. A faint smell of chocolate and roasted malts on the nose. Very thin chocolate fizzy water. Not a whole lot of anything going on, thumbs down GFB. The first (only) time I visited them, they were out of their own beer. I had to settle on a couple of their guest taps (Founders, Sweet Water, Lagunitas...pssshhh ) Strike Two Granite Falls!

Enough of the bad, on to the good.

There has been some discussion on this thread about session IPAs recently, which I haven't commented on because I'm not much of a fan of the style. Oscar Blues may have changed my perception on them, though, with their new Pinner Session IPA. I have had Founders All Day and Stone Go-To, and was not impressed with either. I think what sets Pinner apart from the others in the style is the incredible balance they were able to come up with. Since session IPAs are low in ABV, you can't really use a lot of malts, so they didn't try to over compensate by using too many hops (I'm looking at you Stone) and it worked. I'm sure they must have dry hopped Pinner because the nose was very hoppy. Mostly citrus on the nose, and hints of cannabis (which wouldn't surprise me). The taste was more piney up front from the initial hop surge, then balanced out nicely with some malty sweetness. Caramel and a faint bready taste on the back. Oscar Blues nailed it on this one.

Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter was the other stand out for me. I can't comment much on it because I don't have much experience with the style. Very different to me and way smokier than any beer I have had. Smelled like burning leaves in the fall, and tasted like I should have been eating some ribs or chopped 'que with it. Too bad 12 Bones didn't cater...
    Last edited by mattman91; 01-27-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Post 6879 Devildeac

Winter Warmer '15 was a huge success! I don't know exactly how many samples I had, but it was definitely enough to keep me from driving my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home. That being said, I'll give a quick run down of a few that I liked/disliked.

While nothing I had was in the ychh, beer category, there were a few that I would pass in the future. The Miami Brewing Vice IPA was a bit off for me. I am kind of a hop head, so I have high standards for my IPAs. This one seemed to be lacking in complexity. Lots of citrusy (is that even a word?) up front with a very mild sweetness, maybe caramel. Not very balanced in my opinion. The mouth feel was watery, not sure the IBUs or ABV, but it drank almost like a session IPA, which is not good when that isn't what you are aiming for.

The other loser of the festival was a personal let down for me, as it was from the new(ish) Granite Falls Brewery (the town I grew up in). I don't remember the name of it, couldn't even find it on their website. No biggy though, nothing I would ever seek out. The beer was a session porter, which that is probably where the problem probably started for me. A porter, to me,should be robust and flavorful, this was murky water. A faint smell of chocolate and roasted malts on the nose. Very thin chocolate fizzy water. Not a whole lot of anything going on, thumbs down GFB. The first (only) time I visited them, they were out of their own beer. I had to settle on a couple of their guest taps (Founders, Sweet Water, Lagunitas...pssshhh) Strike Two Granite Falls!

Enough of the bad, on to the good.

There has been some discussion on this thread about session IPAs recently, which I haven't commented on because I'm not much of a fan of the style. Oscar Blues may have changed my perception on them, though, with their new Pinner Session IPA. I have had Founders All Day and Stone Go-To, and was not impressed with either. I think what sets Pinner apart from the others in the style is the incredible balance they were able to come up with. Since session IPAs are low in ABV, you can't really use a lot of malts, so they didn't try to over compensate by using too many hops (I'm looking at you Stone) and it worked. I'm sure they must have dry hopped Pinner because the nose was very hoppy. Mostly citrus on the nose, and hints of cannabis (which wouldn't surprise me). The taste was more piney up front from the initial hop surge, then balanced out nicely with some malty sweetness. Caramel and a faint bready taste on the back. Oscar Blues nailed it on this one.

Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter was the other stand out for me. I can't comment much on it because I don't have much experience with the style. Very different to me and way smokier than any beer I have had. Smelled like burning leaves in the fall, and tasted like I should have been eating some ribs or chopped 'que with it. Too bad 12 Bones didn't cater...
    Hey Mattman, I knew there was something going on with the aroma of G'Night, and that site I think hit it on the head. That's what I drink at the AVL Tourists baseball games and it really adds to the "spirit" of the game for me. Seriously. Of course, the 22 oz. can helps with that, also. That's one strong, appropriately tasty beer for me. It gets me in the mood for the fried Moonpies, too.

Now, get your you-know-what over to Burial next Sunday for their jazz NO style breakfast/brunch. It's just a real short block walk from Green Man. Get the Skillet Donut Stout with the food and put whatever chocolate they are using over their beignets, or red velvet waffles, into the beer. Yes, stir the sauce right into the beer. Then, post a report on that. Heaven.

ricks

So now the sun is shining here in our beautiful county!! What blizzard??? Sun shining, big deal you say. Well, for the last 30 minutes, with sun shining it's also snowing. Never seen that. Not sure if I'm gonna golf or ski today Maybe just head to a brewery!!

"Gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot-rod Lincoln!"

School's cancelled and no snow's on the ground. Would've never happened when I was in school.

Gonna go find me some Batch 1000 beers

So now the sun is shining here in our beautiful county!! What blizzard??? Sun shining, big deal you say. Well, for the last 30 minutes, with sun shining it's also snowing. Never seen that. Not sure if I'm gonna golf or ski today Maybe just head to a brewery!!

"Gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot-rod Lincoln!"

School's cancelled and no snow's on the ground. Would've never happened when I was in school.

Gonna go find me some Batch 1000 beers
    If you come up with some Batch 1000 beers, go ahead and buy some Hardywood Reserve Series brews, too, and, with the price of gas at <$1.70/gal in South Hill, I'll drive up to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Hey Mattman, I knew there was something going on with the aroma of G'Night, and that site I think hit it on the head. That's what I drink at the AVL Tourists baseball games and it really adds to the "spirit" of the game for me. Seriously. Of course, the 22 oz. can helps with that, also. That's one strong, appropriately tasty beer for me. It gets me in the mood for the fried Moonpies, too.

Now, get your you-know-what over to Burial next Sunday for their jazz NO style breakfast/brunch. It's just a real short block walk from Green Man. Get the Skillet Donut Stout with the food and put whatever chocolate they are using over their beignets, or red velvet waffles, into the beer. Yes, stir the sauce right into the beer. Then, post a report on that. Heaven.

ricks
    I'm a fan of all things Oscar Blues. I was probably sipping some OB at one of the games you were at last season and didnt know it.

I read about the jazz brunch Burial has started, but haven't made it out yet. Maybe we can meet up one Sunday for it. Heck, I may ride out there this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you come up with some Batch 1000 beers, go ahead and buy some Hardywood Reserve Series brews, too, and, with the price of gas at <$1.70/gal in South Hill, I'll drive up to meet you.
    Less that $1.70? Wth? It's $2.03 here in AVL. I flipped **** when I saw it for $1.98 for one day last week.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm a fan of all things Oscar Blues. I was probably sipping some OB at one of the games you were at last season and didnt know it.

I read about the jazz brunch Burial has started, but haven't made it out yet. Maybe we can meet up one Sunday for it. Heck, I may ride out there this Sunday.
    Best G'Knight I've ever had was at the Bier Baron in DC about 2.5 years ago. Aged in chardonnay barrels. Draft. About 10 ounces. Should have been about $10 but it was free with my burger during happy hour. Fabulous concoction.

Plz refresh my memory of name of beer place in Charleston where u can pay at ur table to pour ur own beer. Thx in advance.

Checking in on this thread...

Asheville Pizza and Brewing has a limited edition Double IPA "Draft Punk." Tasty beverage. Surprisingly NOT overly hoppy. More sweet, really at the end of the day. But with an IBV that can lay you out if you don't take care.

I had a brief taste of "Monster Mash" - an Imperial Stout that clocks in north of ten percent and is only served in half pours - but I will save my impressions for when I get more than a sip.

Cheers!

Plz refresh my memory of name of beer place in Charleston where u can pay at ur table to pour ur own beer. Thx in advance.
    Forget Charleston...come to Asheville. This place is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post

Asheville Pizza and Brewing has a limited edition Double IPA "Draft Punk." Tasty beverage. Surprisingly NOT overly hoppy. More sweet, really at the end of the day. But with an IBV that can lay you out if you don't take care.

I had a brief taste of "Monster Mash" - an Imperial Stout that clocks in north of ten percent and is only served in half pours - but I will save my impressions for when I get more than a sip.

Cheers!
    I saw Draft Punk on the chalkboard a few days ago when I was there, but didn't order it. I'll try it next time. Haven't heard of Monster Mash, but I'm a big fan of imperial stouts. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post

Cheers!
    I guess I'd have to "Get Lucky" to be able to sample that Asheville Pizza and Brewing beverage .

Foothills Brewing releases Sexual Chocolate this weekend. Anyone interested in getting a bottle or two for me? (Yes, Tripping William, I'm calling you out...)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Foothills Brewing releases Sexual Chocolate this weekend. Anyone interested in getting a bottle or two for me? (Yes, Tripping William, I'm calling you out...)
    YES YES YES! Beer mail trade for some Asheville rarities? I'm willing to pay in money and/or beer

I don't know about Charleston. In Charlotte and now Cary they have Taco Mac (or T.Mac) that have draft tables.
    I believe Tyler's in Durham also has draft tables.

I completely see the appeal if the 4 taps have what you want on them.