Page 342 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2422923323403413423433443523924428421342 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

NFL Craft Beer Playoffs: Conference Championship Round

We didn't get Denver/New England, which might have had us talking for weeks on end. Instead:

Green Bay @ Seattle

Indy @ New England

The latter is no contest. The former probably merits at least a little debate/consideration.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    We didn't get Denver/New England, which might have had us talking for weeks on end. Instead:

Green Bay @ Seattle

Indy @ New England

The latter is no contest. The former probably merits at least a little debate/consideration.
    New Glarus alone trumps Pike and Grants so GB takes the Seahawks. Leinies and Red Hooks are a wash.

Three Floyds (by reputation) makes Indy vs NE interesting but SA and surrounding joints like Maine Beer Company, Allagash, Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist win going away. Now, if it was only the Boston or Massachusetts Patriots, then we'd have a beer fest.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Visited a few friends today to view the first fball game, two different parties with excellent food.

My HS classmate and close friend, Bob Thoms, an avid craft brewery fellow, hosted one of the parties. I brought a 750ml of Hardywood Raspberry Stout, a bottle of Cold Mountain and a bottle of Humboldt Red Ale (the latter of which I'd never tried).

We first opened the Hardywood offering, which was quite good, very smooth and pleasant. Particulars from the brewer here:
    http://www.hardywood.com/content/har...pberry-stout-0

At 9.2% and IBUs of 50, it's incredibly hidden. Bob was very impressed.

Then he opened the Humboldt Red Nectar. Info: http://www.humboldtbrewingco.com/red-nectar/

At 5.4% and 35 IBUs it's a very pleasant brew to drink. Bob thought it was excellent as did I. Getting ready to have another as I watch Hoody finish off the Colts (I don't like him).

After K's dominance of Pitino/Louisville, the least I can do is enjoy a fine brew or several before entering a new week of whatever. Pitt tomorrow night-needs to be an easy V because we have some toughies coming up.

Let's go Devils!!! Bob and I discussed a trip to Asheville, and he's all for it Let's make some plans!!!

Bourbon Barrel Porter-Alewerks Brewing

I'm a bit surprised there's no clever name for this brew from this Colonial Williamsburg area brewery. Smelled and tasted like one of these with a coffee bean in the middle and without the pee-can on top:

122494.jpg

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kentucky-bourbon-balls/

It's an imperial porter brewed with unrefined Caribbean sugar and aged for a couple months in Virginia bourbon barrels. Poured almost as dark as a stout but a bit thinner. All the expected porter flavors of coffee, chocolate and dark caramel were present along with modest bourbon throughout. Bitterness is the heavily roasted pale, crystal and chocolate malts and really not much from hops, guessing IBUs of 30. ABV is a warming 9% so I split this slightly chilled bomber over a couple nights. This was bought just over a month ago at the brewery and would certainly purchase again. Might even have a twin lurking in my storage area for any interested trading parties.

Love Ninja-Asheville Brewing Company

Take ABC's World Beer Cup award-winning Ninja Porter (which I must admit I've never tasted), add a squirt of raspberry juice and a couple tablespoons of fresh brewed coffee and you have your Valentine beer. Ricks68 delivered this last week as we dined the day after he attended the Miami MBB game. Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights into a pint glass and formed a medium-sized foamy head that fairly quickly disappeared. Nose was coffee and mild chocolate and palate-pleasing tastes encompassed the same with some dark caramel and a slight, pleasant raspberry finish. Snooped out the IBUs (not listed) at 27, about as expected, with the ABV discovered to be 5.25%, also not listed. The bomber, which I'll be sipping over two nights, has no dating but it's a new release (heck, mattman didn't even know it had hit the retail market) and can't be more than a week or two old. Fuse might even find pleasure in my extra Love Ninja.

"Fuse might even find pleasure in my extra Love Ninja."

Like that's not the least bit disturbing.

Finishing the Humboldt Red Ale. Allowed it to warm somewhat. It pours an amazing head, as in I poured about 4-5 ounces into a pint glass and the head went to the top, and only went back down slowly. Maybe a four-finger head. The most of any beer I've ever encountered; and I've had a run-in with many a brew

Just a delicious beer. Bought a sixer at "Once Upon a Vine" here in Richmond and will buy another to share. Have 3 left. Brewed in Paso Robles, CA (never heard of Paso Robles).

Was finishing this as I watched the documentary by ESPN of K and his impending 1000th win.

Finishing my last sip. Floral notes up front. Smooth mid and late palate. Gotta find out which hops were used.

Trip to Asheville!!!

Let's begin the planning. Which weekend works? Until tomorrow or later in the week, I'm good about any weekend. ACC Tourney weekend would be fun. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Let's begin the planning. Which weekend works? Until tomorrow or later in the week, I'm good about any weekend. ACC Tourney weekend would be fun. Thoughts?
    Give me a shout when you come down!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Love Ninja-Asheville Brewing Company

Take ABC's World Beer Cup award-winning Ninja Porter (which I must admit I've never tasted), add a squirt of raspberry juice and a couple tablespoons of fresh brewed coffee and you have your Valentine beer. Ricks68 delivered this last week as we dined the day after he attended the Miami MBB game. Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights into a pint glass and formed a medium-sized foamy head that fairly quickly disappeared. Nose was coffee and mild chocolate and palate-pleasing tastes encompassed the same with some dark caramel and a slight, pleasant raspberry finish. Snooped out the IBUs (not listed) at 27, about as expected, with the ABV discovered to be 5.25%, also not listed. The bomber, which I'll be sipping over two nights, has no dating but it's a new release (heck, mattman didn't even know it had hit the retail market) and can't be more than a week or two old. Fuse might even find pleasure in my extra Love Ninja.
    You gotta try the regular Ninja Porter! I'm a little disappointed that there is no dating, ABC is usually really good to put a bottled on date on their products. Must be a seasonal thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    You gotta try the regular Ninja Porter! I'm a little disappointed that there is no dating, ABC is usually really good to put a bottled on date on their products. Must be a seasonal thing...
    I found the lack of bottle dating a bit odd, too, as there was a bottled on date on the Ninjabread Man that ricks68 bought.

Beercation

I wanted to go to Portland for the beer, but my girlfriend wants to go to Seattle for the Space Needle. So...were going to Seattle. I know Seattle's beer scene isn't too shabby either, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I wanted to go to Portland for the beer, but my girlfriend wants to go to Seattle for the Space Needle. So...were going to Seattle. I know Seattle's beer scene isn't too shabby either, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it
    Attractions to visit:

http://www.empmuseum.org/

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/seattle/

http://undergroundtour.com/

http://smithtower.com/

http://www.pikebrewing.com/

http://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm

http://seattlemag.com/article/best-b...attle?page=0,1

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

http://www.clippervacations.com/clipper-ferry/

We spent 2 days there before embarking on an inner passage Alaskan cruise about 6 years ago. Great place to visit.

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this info. I showed the GF and she is very interested in the underground tour(s). We will definitely check out Mount Rainier, and the Emp Museum sounds like a lot of fun. Obviously the beer spots will be a favorite of mine, and I can gladly report that I have turned the lady into a craft beer drinker. She is in the "dark beer" stage (stouts and porters)...hopefully one day she will expand her horizons, but only time will tell. She did enjoy the Kiwi Morte at the Funkatorium last week

In need of a beer review here.

I will go find one I haven't had, yet. And post this evening.

"Where have all the....gone?" Have to figure out where I've heard that song before. I don't think it's Tom Lehrer. Will have to study on that.

Helles Schlenferla Lagerbier

Bottle says: " Brauerei Heller Bamberg Seit 1678 (someone please translate), guessing it's been a brewery since 1678

Bottle says:

"Schlenkerla Helles is brewed with fine Bavarian aroma hops (my guess would be Saaz and/or Hallertau) and lagered in century old caves underneath the historic Schlenkerla brewery and maltings. It is boiled in the same copper kettles and bottom fermented by the same yeast as the historic Schlenkerla Smokebeer. Its subtle smokiness without using smoke malt makes "Helles Schlenkerla Lager" a unique representative of the classic lager beer style "Bavarian Helles."

www.Schlenkerla.com

This was poured from a 1 pint bottle. I'm recapping about 6 ounces for another time.

This is a very simple and good lager. No real bitterness up front, about what I'd expect a German lager to be like-just a very smooth bier that I could drink many of at a good sporting event.

http://www.schlenkerla.de/schlenkerl...lenkerlae.html

I've looked for IBUs, don't see a number but it's very low, I'd guess 20 or lower. Just looked at the bottle and it has 4.3% ABV. I'll have to figure out how to brew such a good beer with this ABV.

Spent some time Sunday with a guy who asked why all craft brews have to be so high in ABV. I answered, "Because they think that's what the market wants." I think that limits many drinkers because there are no craft brews out there that are lighter brews.

Why they refuse to have low ABV brews for some who are driving or simply aren't there to be blown away, I just don't know.

I'm striving for a balance: Plenty of really solid brews with all of what craft-beer enthusiasts like, yet some tamer brews for others that still have body, flavor, mouth-feel, yet not in the upper ABV field. I.E. a really good lager or pilsner that doesn't upset the balance.

Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Dark fudge coffee. Or maybe coffee infused dark chocolate fudge. I divided this 750 ml capped bottle that ricks68 kindly delivered last week over the last couple nights. Poured a slightly thin, almost black hue with a huge coffee nose from the 50/50 blend of cold pressed Hologram and Big Trouble coffees from Counter Culture Coffee (as stated on Burial's website). Bottle says 9 malts, website says 6-row Pale malt, along with Nugget hops, oats, milk sugar (lactose), molasses, and surprisingly, no chocolate. But this sure tastes like semi-sweet dark chocolate morsels with a handful of raisins. I think they serve this at the brewery with a chocolate donut hole. It'd also be delicious with any other chocolate or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Liquid dessert also works. Comparable to Founder's Breakfast Stout but not quite in the same league as their KBS, but you never know what a few months of bourbon barrel aging might do to this ale. IBUs stated as 60 and ABV at 8% and served at about 50-55 degrees as suggested on the bottle. They claim this will be canned in early 2015 so I can imagine the demand for this may be rather high.

skillet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Spent some time Sunday with a guy who asked why all craft brews have to be so high in ABV. I answered, "Because they think that's what the market wants." I think that limits many drinkers because there are no craft brews out there that are lighter brews.

Why they refuse to have low ABV brews for some who are driving or simply aren't there to be blown away, I just don't know.

I'm striving for a balance: Plenty of really solid brews with all of what craft-beer enthusiasts like, yet some tamer brews for others that still have body, flavor, mouth-feel, yet not in the upper ABV field. I.E. a really good lager or pilsner that doesn't upset the balance.
    Hey duketaylor,

I agree that the trend for awhile in craft beer was bigger was better with double IPA and imperial stouts as the "must-have" craft brews. Recently, I think a lot of breweries have been making session beers (less than 5% ABV). Although a lot of this trend has focused on session IPAs (which from reading your posts aren't really your thing) this recent article from Draft magazine lists session beers in 15 different styles in addition to session IPAs.

I have personally really enjoyed the Manayunk Session Blonde, the Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose (which really does remind you of a mimosa), Bruery Hottenroth Berliner Weisse and the Uinta Baba Black Lager off the list. Gose and Berliner weisse aren't everybody's favorite style but I would highly recommend trying the Uinta Baba. I really like the roasty flavors typically associated with higher ABV porters and stouts with a cleaner lager finish. New Belgium 1554 is also a good black lager (although around 5.5% ABV) and Kostritzer Schwarzbier is the undisputed king of the style at 4.8% but can be tricky to find in the US.

Cheers!
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Dark fudge coffee. Or maybe coffee infused dark chocolate fudge. I divided this 750 ml capped bottle that ricks68 kindly delivered last week over the last couple nights. Poured a slightly thin, almost black hue with a huge coffee nose from the 50/50 blend of cold pressed Hologram and Big Trouble coffees from Counter Culture Coffee (as stated on Burial's website). Bottle says 9 malts, website says 6-row Pale malt, along with Nugget hops, oats, milk sugar (lactose), molasses, and surprisingly, no chocolate. But this sure tastes like semi-sweet dark chocolate morsels with a handful of raisins. I think they serve this at the brewery with a chocolate donut hole. It'd also be delicious with any other chocolate or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Liquid dessert also works. Comparable to Founder's Breakfast Stout but not quite in the same league as their KBS, but you never know what a few months of bourbon barrel aging might do to this ale. IBUs stated as 60 and ABV at 8% and served at about 50-55 degrees as suggested on the bottle. They claim this will be canned in early 2015 so I can imagine the demand for this may be rather high.

skillet.jpg
    Ahh, Burial Beer. They do serve this with a doughnut hole at the brewery. They used to use Krispy Kreme, but now they use their new South Slope neighbors, Vortex Doughnuts (Asheville's answer to Portland's Vodoo Doughnuts).

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Hey duketaylor,

I agree that the trend for awhile in craft beer was bigger was better with double IPA and imperial stouts as the "must-have" craft brews. Recently, I think a lot of breweries have been making session beers (less than 5% ABV). Although a lot of this trend has focused on session IPAs (which from reading your posts aren't really your thing) this recent article from Draft magazine lists session beers in 15 different styles in addition to session IPAs.

I have personally really enjoyed the Manayunk Session Blonde, the Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose (which really does remind you of a mimosa), Bruery Hottenroth Berliner Weisse and the Uinta Baba Black Lager off the list. Gose and Berliner weisse aren't everybody's favorite style but I would highly recommend trying the Uinta Baba. I really like the roasty flavors typically associated with higher ABV porters and stouts with a cleaner lager finish. New Belgium 1554 is also a good black lager (although around 5.5% ABV) and Kostritzer Schwarzbier is the undisputed king of the style at 4.8% but can be tricky to find in the US.

Cheers!
    Couldn't spork you, but wanted to offer kudos for some great session suggestions.
    Founders All Day IPA fits nicely as a session beer also.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Couldn't spork you, but wanted to offer kudos for some great session suggestions.
    Founders All Day IPA fits nicely as a session beer also.
    I got the sporks covered for you.

I agree that this is a very nice list of session beers. Bigger/thicker/hoppier/boozier aren't all necessarily better.