Page 332 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2322823223303313323333343423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

2013 Fullsteam Fruitcake the beer

Billed as a bourbon barrel aged old ale style with 300 pounds of local chestnuts and 100 pounds of grilled North Carolina figs. Apparently 100 pounds of local figs was not enough, so another 100 pounds of figs are from California.

Poured with a crazy thick head, needed to watch the pour.
    I may have overpoured, as I was going to suggest initially it was a translucent chestnut brown, but it's more a muddy deep tan in colour.

The nose is smoky.

Very sweet up front, the bourbon barrel aging hits mid palate, and the finish is smoky, with a hint of sweetness fighting for presence.

My wife thinks it tastes like liquid smoke and suggests this would be well paired with barbeque.

It doesn't taste like any fruitcake I've ever had. (For me, that is a good thing- I bought this as a novelty last year as I really don't like fruitcake.) I will say Fullsteam knows how to smoke- their smoked porter is excellent and their expertise shines through in fruitcake the beer also.

I have not seen Fullsteam announce Fruitcake 2014, and I don't recall how it was received last year.
    As a one off, delightful to share.
    I would not recommend trying to finish a 22oz bomber alone, the layers of flavour really hide that this is 10%.

An even more unique holiday offering than the Hardywood Gingerbread Stout, not in the same league as the Hardywood, a fun seasonal for sure.

Fullsteam remains one of my favorite local breweries. Their willingness to go out on a limb, experiment with local ingredients, and ability to make world class beer set them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wassail (2013)-Full Sail

Ahh, the time of year to change over from Oktoberfests and pumpkin fests to winterfests. I shared this with my younger daughter last PM, followed by a Hibernation Ale. This one poured a medium to dark brown with a modest head and had toffee, nutty and woody aromas followed by tastes that I would have imagined had one brewed a collabeeration with an ESB, a brown ale and a Scotch ale. There were some piney/resinous hoppiness (ESB) tastes combined with smoky (Scotch ale) almond (brown ale) characteristics. IBU at 56 and ABV of 7.2% and the balance was very pleasant. One of my favorite winter warmers over the last 10-15 years when I find it.
    I wish DBR search function was better- took me forever to find this review.

Deep brown, no head, malty nose.
    A molasses soda- hard to follow the Fruitcake, I don't get the hop or smoke devildeac did.
    The ESB / brown ale marriage is on point- sweet with mild bitterness on the finish.

Well paired with some pumpkin ravioli.
    7.2%, it's fairly strong.
    Somewhat reminiscent of Old Jubilation, high praise.

Thanks devildeac!

Floored me

Just want to put a good word in for:

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, 14.2% ABV.

Wow. Unless you hate the aroma of whiskey, it's really worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

wow. No wonder you we're floored.

I was able to get a four pack easily last year and have one left.
    I wasn't nearly as lucky this year.

Brilliant beer worth savoring- enjoy!

From 11/2/12:

Fifteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

I saw four packs of these on the front display tables at Total Wine last week and there was a sign for $3.99 and I decided to pass as that computes to $16 for the 4 pack. I like this beer a lot and think it will age well but that's spendy as I think I shelled out about $12-13 for my purchase early this year. As I checked out, the clerk asked if I had seen the "specials" and I told her I thought the single price of $4 was too high but she told me it was the entire four pack, not a single. So she stopped ringing up my order as I hurried over to the table to procure two of the four packs. So, now I have eight to trade or cellar for another year or three. Made my enjoyment of this weeks brew even sweeter.

So, after about 10 months more aging, I found Fifteen to be a bit richer and smoother than first tasting during the winter of 2011-12. Perhaps a tad more smokiness and coffee-like aromas and tastes but not significantly different than the above review. Very good brew at $3-3.50 each. Outstanding brew/bargain at $1 each.

From 11(PM)/12/13/14:

Fifteen (2010 Anniversary beer)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier meets Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Starbucks stops by very briefly and says hello.

Somewhat different that my review from 2 years ago. I guess that's what another 2 years of aging can do to some beers. Poured a nearly black hue with about a half inch, creamy head. Wonderful smokiness with semi-sweet chocolate morsels aromas and tastes to match along with some whiskey-soaked raisins, dates and figs. There was only a hint of espresso. Silky smooth and minimal hop perception despite the IBUs of 80 I found listed somewhere. The ABV was 10.8% and quite deceptive but I still sipped this concoction at cellar temperature over nearly an hour. I can't believe I still had two of these left from my 2011 purchase. Hmmm, wonder what I'll do with the single 12 ounce bottle that remains...

Naughty or Nice?

Merry Christmas to me, and to Bruisin Ales in Asheville.

I'm groaning over the shipping, and I've treated myself to a few goodies, including replenishing my stock of Mother Earth Silent Night.

I got the Chardonnay aged Samiclaus, as well as the 3 Haw River Belgian style beers aged in different barrel types. I may have picked up more than a few other rarities, too.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Merry Christmas to me, and to Bruisin Ales in Asheville.

I'm groaning over the shipping, and I've treated myself to a few goodies, including replenishing my stock of Mother Earth Silent Night.

I got the Chardonnay aged Samiclaus, as well as the 3 Haw River Belgian style beers aged in different barrel types. I may have picked up more than a few other rarities, too.
    Wait, I thought you were trying to exercise restraint in your purchases?!

Speaking of Samichlaus (ho, ho, ho):

Samichlaus Helles (2007)-Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Where/how do I keep finding this stuff? Yet another vintage Christmas beer from the cellar after almost 11.5 months of "drinking down the inventory."

Poured a medium amber, which is a bit lighter than the regular Samichlaus in color only, with scents of a toasted croissant that has been generously drizzled with dark honey. There were a few particulates as I fairly gently decanted the 330 ml bottle. Tastes of maple and Karo syrups with a moderate alcohol burn and I'm surprised it's not more of one with the ABV at 14% (no typo). It's a dopplebock, therefore fitting into the lager category, but it really drinks like a sherry with additional tastes of cherries, golden raisins and rum. I'd estimate IBUs at 10-20. Best served at cellar temperature and sipped slowly over 30-45 minutes as an after dinner or fireside drink.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, I thought you were trying to exercise restraint in your purchases?!
    Hindsight is 20/20, I had to look this up.
    Mint says through end November (assuming categorization is accurate) I have literally spent half of what I did in 2013. Yesterday's purchase will move the needle a good bit.

Ommegang Game of Thrones Take the Black Stout

Pours black as night, with a thick coffee head.

I peer over my shoulder to insure there are no White Walkers about before inhaling.

Smells of wood, bourbon, chocolate and hints of licorice.

Effervescent up front, chocolatey middle, and licorice dry finish.

I had hoped the star anise and licorice would be muted and not shine through.
    There are a few beers Ommegang makes that might convince me to Take the Black, but this stout is not among them.

This is a really nice stout, and a fun one off. I've enjoyed the Game of Thrones beer. I skipped the pepper spiced one, and have not bought the most recent one which is a straight up quad(?). The blonde beer, first in the series, is my favorite so far.

Already an Ommegang fan, the Game of Thrones is a nice way to get some publicity for their beer.

Worth trying, but not going out of your way to find.

How do you top Enjoy By?

Apparently by releasing Enjoy After....

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-enjoy-12-26-15/

Brilliant move by Stone.

Brilliant move by Stone.
    And those Arrogant Bastards are only releasing it to 10 states.

Brilliant move by Stone.
    I have a 64-oz growler of the Enjoy By. And I will meet that deadline.

Brueprint Edinbrue

My palate may be a bit shot after an SA Old Fezziwig (and a Winter Lager, but who's counting?).

I'm not a scotch ale fan, and Brueprint makes a Scottish style ale I enjoy.

Malty nose, malty middle, malty finish with a bit of a bite.

If you like Scotch ales, this is one to try.

2011 review:

Fourteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Total Wine for procuring this anniversary ale 2 years after its release date and making it available to purchase this week. After all, these folks have been brewing since 1995. Not only that, they had to store it for a couple years after it was released, saving me from the recurring wrath of Mrs. DD and saving space in my garage, too.

Now, here is the review. This is a barleywine made with 50% wheat malt, so technically, it's a wheat wine. It pours a cloudy golden-orange with a pungent nose of orange juice and orange zest. I actually think this tastes a bit like Cointreau with notes of honey, too. The IBU appear to be a bit lower than your typical barleywine and I'd guess 50-60 and the ABV is a numbing 11.8% so this was an hour long sipper. Serve lightly chilled in a goblet as your after dinner drink. This was about $15 for a 4 pack so I guess I am ultimately paying "storage fees" on this. I'll be saving a bottle or two in my garage, err, cellar, and reporting back next summer, too.

Fast forward to 2014>>>Well, I guess I kinda/sorta forgot about this in the summer of 2012 and re-discovered it last PM.

Fourteen (2009)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Same impressions of an orange liqueur drink with little to no head and even less bitterness than 2011. I perceived hints of banana and clove in the 5 year old bottle. This is syrup-like and almost too smooth and sweet after aging. Perhaps a bit beyond its prime also as it may have been a bit oxidized. I think I'd have been happier sharing this beverage with another friend or two. No regrets having saved this for so long it certainly looks/sounds like I enjoyed my 2 year old bottle better.

Ymm... Bourbon. (Dang - wrong thread!)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Ymm... Bourbon. (Dang - wrong thread!)

-jk
    Um -- I'm noticing a trend here friend . . . .

Victory Winter Cheers

From the website:

http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/winter-cheers/

This brewery continues to grow just west of Philly. I don't believe they're distributed to some you NClinians. They brewed over 225000 barrels last year, very impressive.

I tasted this beer tonight-bought a sixer, gave two away, kept two and sampled one.

Very floral nose and hoppy, after noting Citra as one of the hops, that explained that. Lots of mouthfeel and complex. If anyone says this beer is weak or light I'd be shocked.

I'll keep the remaining 2 for friends in NC.

Also purchased St. Bernardus Xmas Ale today for our family get-together next Thursday. I also have to make a dessert.
    Bread pudding comes to mind. Bought another bottle today and will disclose it tomorrow