Page 312 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2122623023103113123133143223624128121312 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,240 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Electric Ray-Sierra Nevada and Ballast Point Brewing Companies

Beer Camp is almost over. This is #10 and I find myself sipping another somewhat unusual brew, this time labeled an India pale lager but it's really an imperial IPL. Brewed with all the hops of an IIPA with a blonde lager base so the nose is a fairly pungent citrus bouquet and the tastes match that pretty consistently but with a lot of sweetness in the middle and a dry, hoppy finish. The label announces a massive grapefruit presence but I didn't perceive that. I tasted more of a blend, including pineapple and mango. The mouthfeel was a bit oily and the sweetness was honey-like and balanced the hoppiness nicely. It was a light golden-yellow color with a moderate, fluffy head and tipped the scales with 70 IBUs and 8.5% ABV, both well into the imperial territory. Because of those numbers, I'd pair it with spicy fare, but, likely a one time offering, I guess I missed my opportunity. I've had IIPAs and imperial pilsners before but never a collaboration like this. Very interesting effort.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Rogue Hazelnut Brow Nectar

I know it was mentioned previously in one of the above pages-for me this is the pantheon of brown ales; I have already begun attempting to reproduce it, including buying a copycat of their 1764 Pacman yeast from a local lab in our area.

From Draft Magazine: "Rogue is synonymous with good beer, and this selection is no exception. Hazelnut Brown Nectar begins innocently enough, pouring deep golden-brown in color with a long-lasting, creamy head. From the aroma, it’s apparent this beer is more than what you’d normally bargain for in a nut brown ale, as its massive nut fragrance bursts out, smelling of fresh hazelnut oil. The taste picks up from there, starting with an initial toasted barley flavor and moving into an almost overwhelming nut flavor that coats the palate and lasts deep into the aftertaste. There are hops in here too, providing minor spice on the sides of the mouth, but this beer is all about the hazelnut. In fact, this is the closest thing we’ve tasted to Nutella in a beer; nutty, slightly chocolaty, even with a slight touch of coffee. This ale is medium-bodied with gentle carbonation."

excerpt, "this is the closest thing we’ve tasted to Nutella in a beer" says it all for me.

IBUs: 33 ABV: 5.9% Their rating is 92, I've also seen 91 elsewhere.

Is it available in central NC? What about Founder's products?

Gonna try to brew a similar brown tomorrow or Monday-also found a recipe for Newcastle and will compare notes.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I know it was mentioned previously in one of the above pages-for me this is the pantheon of brown ales; I have already begun attempting to reproduce it, including buying a copycat of their 1764 Pacman yeast from a local lab in our area.

From Draft Magazine: "Rogue is synonymous with good beer, and this selection is no exception. Hazelnut Brown Nectar begins innocently enough, pouring deep golden-brown in color with a long-lasting, creamy head. From the aroma, it’s apparent this beer is more than what you’d normally bargain for in a nut brown ale, as its massive nut fragrance bursts out, smelling of fresh hazelnut oil. The taste picks up from there, starting with an initial toasted barley flavor and moving into an almost overwhelming nut flavor that coats the palate and lasts deep into the aftertaste. There are hops in here too, providing minor spice on the sides of the mouth, but this beer is all about the hazelnut. In fact, this is the closest thing we’ve tasted to Nutella in a beer; nutty, slightly chocolaty, even with a slight touch of coffee. This ale is medium-bodied with gentle carbonation."

excerpt, "this is the closest thing we’ve tasted to Nutella in a beer" says it all for me.

Gonna try to brew a similar brown tomorrow or Monday-also found a recipe for Newcastle and will compare notes.
    It is available in the Triangle area but I can't recall whether by the bomber, in litters of 6, or both.

Founder's stuff is also available here at many locations. Now, if you could find some KBS...

The only hazelnut brown I felt was worth drinking was the 1996 Longshot Hazelnut Brown.
    Long extinct save for the one bottle I have left in the fridge.

I looked for the six pack holder I kept because it had the recipe.

Below gleaned from Google, your mileage may vary:

Version “A,” reportedly from the bottom of the 6 pack:
    5 gallon all grain recipe

9lbs Pale Malt
    1/2lb Munich Malt
    7 oz. Caramel Malt
    4 oz. Chocolate Malt
    3 oz. Victory Malt
    4 oz. Carapils Malt

2 oz. Fuggles

1/2 tsp gypsum* added to mash

Ale yeast

Hazelnut flavoring

Mash in at 155 F and rest for 1 hour
    Sparge and fill kettle
    Boil 90 minutes adding hops as follows:
    at kettle full - 1 1/2 oz.
    at kettle full + 85 minutes - 1/2 oz.

Cool to 65 F and pitch ale yeast.
    Ferment at 65 - 70 F
    Add Hazelnut flavoring at bottling

Version “B,” apparently the original recipe that won the contest:
    Doug and Vicki Parkers hazelnut Brown:
    6.6 lbs N.W. Gold liq. extract
    1/2 lb. M&F pale ale malt
    1/2 lb. M&F crystal malt (60 L ?)
    1 lb. Cara-pils
    1.5 oz. Willamette (or Fuggle)
    60 minute boil
    1 oz. Willamette or Fuggle (aroma)
    5 min. steep
    1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min rrom end)
    1.5 bottles All Natural Hazelnut Flavoring at bottling
    2 tsp. gypsum*
    Wyeast British Ale.
    Mash grain at 160 F.
    5 gal. yield.

For me this was the original dessert in a glass.

Went to the Southern Home Show at the Raleigh fairgrounds yesterday, mostly to see about contractors for the ever-growing list of work the house needs (roof, windows, kitchen renovation, master bath renovation, landscape upgrades, siding…ugh). Thankfully, there’s a bit of respite, as this is the inaugural year for Beer & Bites, where they pair a local brewery with some sort of food. Here’s what we sampled yesterday:

Double Barley Brewing Company (Smithfield)
    Thrilla in Vanilla Porter – from their website, “A smooth, medium bodied beer with distinct bourbon-soaked vanilla-bean flavoring. Slight sweetness balanced nicely with malt bitterness. Pours a tan head that tastes like vanilla whipped cream.” However, this description pales in comparison to the one the two ladies who were pouring gave us. They use over 900 vanilla beans in each batch of vanilla extract, which they use bourbon instead of the usual vodka. They were absolutely hilarious in their enthusiasm and descriptions of the beer! And the beer did not disappoint. There’s a lovely mouth feel in the dark brown liquid, and a nice, sweet, vanilla/bourbon/malty flavor. I’m seeking this one out again. Too bad I couldn’t keep getting in line to get another little plastic shot glass of this!

Big Boss Brewing Company (Raleigh)
    High Roller IPA – From their website, “HIGH ROLLER American-Style IPA is brewed with whole Northwest hops and balanced with pale and caramel malts. We add hops to this beer three times to build a deep, complex hop profile. This is our example of a unique American twist on a British classic. 6.7% abv” This was quite drinkable! Very hoppy, but not terribly bitter. I liked this one, and usually don’t like IPAs.

Beer Army Combat Brewery (Trenton/New Bern)
    Heroes Never Die!!! A very hoppy and rather bitter IPA, which doesn’t appeal to my palate. You bitter-lovin’ hop-heads might enjoy this, but I give it a “meh.”

Carolina Brewing Company
    Carolina Oktoberfest and Carolina Pale Ale were on tap. I routinely drink these after the cycling rides at the Brewery. Both are delicious on a hot day after a 2-3 hour ride!

Bonus beer: to celebrate the 27th wedding anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. devil84, we wound up in Chapel Hill at the Carolina Brewery on Franklin Street, eating dinner with Son-of-devil84 (trading out cars so we can get Son’s car fixed for him, otherwise we’d have different plans). Mr. devil84 had the Oktoberfest while Mrs. and Son had the Copperline Amber Ale. It’s a nice, drinkable beer. Not hoppy, not malty, not sweet, not bitter – a nice beer. Suffers from being brewed and consumed on Franklin Street, though.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Went to the Southern Home Show at the Raleigh fairgrounds yesterday, mostly to see about contractors for the ever-growing list of work the house needs (roof, windows, kitchen renovation, master bath renovation, landscape upgrades, siding…ugh). Thankfully, there’s a bit of respite, as this is the inaugural year for Beer & Bites, where they pair a local brewery with some sort of food. Here’s what we sampled yesterday:

Double Barley Brewing Company (Smithfield)
    Thrilla in Vanilla Porter – from their website, “A smooth, medium bodied beer with distinct bourbon-soaked vanilla-bean flavoring. Slight sweetness balanced nicely with malt bitterness. Pours a tan head that tastes like vanilla whipped cream.” However, this description pales in comparison to the one the two ladies who were pouring gave us. They use over 900 vanilla beans in each batch of vanilla extract, which they use bourbon instead of the usual vodka. They were absolutely hilarious in their enthusiasm and descriptions of the beer! And the beer did not disappoint. There’s a lovely mouth feel in the dark brown liquid, and a nice, sweet, vanilla/bourbon/malty flavor. I’m seeking this one out again. Too bad I couldn’t keep getting in line to get another little plastic shot glass of this!

Big Boss Brewing Company (Raleigh)
    High Roller IPA – From their website, “HIGH ROLLER American-Style IPA is brewed with whole Northwest hops and balanced with pale and caramel malts. We add hops to this beer three times to build a deep, complex hop profile. This is our example of a unique American twist on a British classic. 6.7% abv” This was quite drinkable! Very hoppy, but not terribly bitter. I liked this one, and usually don’t like IPAs.

Beer Army Combat Brewery (Trenton/New Bern)
    Heroes Never Die!!! A very hoppy and rather bitter IPA, which doesn’t appeal to my palate. You bitter-lovin’ hop-heads might enjoy this, but I give it a “meh.”

Carolina Brewing Company
    Carolina Oktoberfest and Carolina Pale Ale were on tap. I routinely drink these after the cycling rides at the Brewery. Both are delicious on a hot day after a 2-3 hour ride!

Bonus beer: to celebrate the 27th wedding anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. devil84, we wound up in Chapel Hill at the Carolina Brewery on Franklin Street, eating dinner with Son-of-devil84 (trading out cars so we can get Son’s car fixed for him, otherwise we’d have different plans). Mr. devil84 had the Oktoberfest while Mrs. and Son had the Copperline Amber Ale. It’s a nice, drinkable beer. Not hoppy, not malty, not sweet, not bitter – a nice beer. Suffers from being brewed and consumed on Franklin Street, though.
    The last sentence would ruin any beer for me. Sounds like you had a great day except for the evil zip code ending.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The last sentence would ruin any beer for me. Sounds like you had a great day except for the evil zip code ending.
    Last night my son said because he's only in two buildings, he still doesn't feel like he's actually attending that school. [It's OK...they're paying him to get his Master's.] None of the students in the program went there undergrad. Still have trouble eating on Franklin Street, though. Too much light blue.

But he's so busy with teaching 3 classes, taking 3 classes, triathlon training, and up until last week, working full time at a bike shop (long past the agreed-upon end date), we tend to invite him out to dinner so he'll eat something other than oatmeal, bananas, peanut butter, and Clif bars. And he can take a moment to enjoy a beer, too. Makes for a very enjoyable day, despite the location.

Last night my son said because he's only in two buildings, he still doesn't feel like he's actually attending that school. [It's OK...they're paying him to get his Master's.] None of the students in the program went there undergrad. Still have trouble eating on Franklin Street, though. Too much light blue.

But he's so busy with teaching 3 classes, taking 3 classes, triathlon training, and up until last week, working full time at a bike shop (long past the agreed-upon end date), we tend to invite him out to dinner so he'll eat something other than oatmeal, bananas, peanut butter, and Clif bars. And he can take a moment to enjoy a beer, too. Makes for a very enjoyable day, despite the location.
    I'll add despite the location, Carolina Brewery is run by a couple of cool guys who were way ahead of the craft beer trend. Not a lover of anything light blue, and have to recognize Carolina Brewery for being an area pioneer.

Would like for you guys to come up with an interesting name for a beer that would be a slight for Franklin Street/unc. I'm already considering changing Kahill"s to LeMeck (Mecklenburg County) using the French lettering used for LeMaire (at The Jefferson Hotel here in town).

Something along these lines:

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/...=314380&part=2

Please let me know what you think about this possible logo. Thanks, CT. GO DEVILS!!

While I'm at it, a clever Wolfie taunt brew name, doesn't have to be a hate name, but at least a dig

Watching this FSU game, "Can't win a big one" comes to mind, or some variation thereof. Or "can't finish" a beer with little or no aftertaste.

Our younger daughter is there for medical school. Yes, the one who was a Duke cheerleader. The price is right but she has to wear sunglasses most of the time, indoor and outdoor. Even the city buses are that hideous color. I think the only place we've ever met her and her hubby for a meal out has been at Mama Dips.

Would like for you guys to come up with an interesting name for a beer that would be a slight for Franklin Street/unc. I'm already considering changing Kahill"s to LeMeck (Mecklenburg County) using the French lettering used for LeMaire (at The Jefferson Hotel here in town).

Please let me know what you think about this possible logo. Thanks, CT. GO DEVILS!!
    "Got your goat" dopplebock with a label depicting a Blue Devil leading Ramses off to slaughter....

U kNow Cheaters Never Prosper Porter

Well of Misfortune Marzen with a picture of the UNC Old Well

Aw Shucks Huckleberry Helles

There's no crying in basketball best bitter with a caricature of a crying UNC fan

Hopping Mad IPA with a picture of an angry UNC fan

GTHC cider or saison

Given time, opportunity and theme I am sure I can come up with more. :-)

You can decide what percentage of profit sharing those ideas are worth.
    UNC hating specialty craft brew is likely a niche market. :-)

While I'm at it, a clever Wolfie taunt brew name, doesn't have to be a hate name, but at least a dig

Watching this FSU game, "Can't win a big one" comes to mind, or some variation thereof. Or "can't finish" a beer with little or no aftertaste.
    If you are looking for a theme, you could figure out a style per school and do a clever name (negative or positive) for each.

Linky not work for me.

ubiquitous
    notorious
    cheaters
    pale (blue)
    ale
    ??

never
    can
    satisfy

red
    ale
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    "Got your goat" dopplebock with a label depicting a Blue Devil leading Ramses off to slaughter....

U kNow Cheaters Never Prosper Porter

Well of Misfortune Marzen with a picture of the UNC Old Well

Aw Shucks Huckleberry Helles

There's no crying in basketball best bitter with a caricature of a crying UNC fan

Hopping Mad IPA with a picture of an angry UNC fan

GTHC cider or saison

Given time, opportunity and theme I am sure I can come up with more. :-)

You can decide what percentage of profit sharing those ideas are worth.
    UNC hating specialty craft brew is likely a niche market. :-)
    Better than my ideas. BWAHAHA!

It's time for a Tater Ridge. Day #11. Beer Camp. More later. Too busy thinking up clever names for Chuck's brews.

I knew y'all would come thru, and State wouldn't Losers!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's time for a Tater Ridge. Day #11. Beer Camp. More later. Too busy thinking up clever names for Chuck's brews.
    You should like this one. They have had this on tap at Green Man, as of last Saturday.

Dang IT!!!

Let's GO DUKE!!!

Down at half and looked mostly crappy, time for a comeback!!!

Knob Creek. Oh, wait, wrong thread.