Page 287 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1872372772852862872882892973373877871287 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Great description- kid in a candy store and trying new beer is at least half the fun!

I tried Jai Alai on draft in Ft Myers. I really wanted to try Funky Buddha but I couldn't find any.
    I think Cigar City does a cucumber saison that is highly regarded, hoping to try that some day.
    I think we both reviewed a cucumber brew here a year or two ago. I'm thinking it was a Magic Hat brew. I believe we both gave it something on the order of a four thumbs down. But, then again, it was a Magic Hat product.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm not consuming particularly quickly, but like fuse (I believe) I feel like a kid in a candy store and want to try everything I haven't yet.
    Speaking of canned brews, Cigar City is all cans, for the ones I have seen so far. I always preferred drinking out of a bottle, but since I have been following this thread a bit more and getting into more craft brews, I have been pouring everything in a glass now, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
    Drinking out of a glass, whether it be a pint glass, a snifter, goblet or chalice, allows so much more flavors/scents to be released and enjoyed. Good move.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You may well have directed me to canned Stella. So many beers ago.

The same comparison can be made between Pilsner Urquell in a bottle (skunky) and draft-delicate, floral and delicious.

Which Big Boss are you nominating to compare to Devils Tramping Ground? Hell's Belle is more of a single at 7% and Monkey Bizz-ness is draft only. I've had DTG both ways and, as you said, draft>>bottles. Can't speak to/for RBC or TBC as I'm not sure I've tasted any of their goodies.

The Mother Earth BBA Triple Overhead is indeed outstanding but a totally different brew than the regular triple. I'll have to get some "plain" Triple Overhead again. Soon.

I'm finishing my last (free) bomber of Two Four Ale tonight. See old and new reviews. Not bad but I'll take a buncha other pale ales over this Rogue product. Finishing the evening with about 6 ounces of a 2011 DFH Immort Ale. The first 6 ounces last PM was outstanding.
    I wish Mother Earth still did regular Tripel Overhead- I think that was 2009 only alongside the BBA version, been only the BBA since.

I was likely thinking of Helle's Belle, and I even looked at both Lone Rider and Big Boss websites to see if it might have been something else.

I wish Mother Earth still did regular Tripel Overhead- I think that was 2009 only alongside the BBA version, been only the BBA since.

I was likely thinking of Helle's Belle, and I even looked at both Lone Rider and Big Boss websites to see if it might have been something else.
    WTH? No more regular Tripel Overhead?

20.gif20.gif

That was seriously good beer.

Cucumber saison?

Great description- kid in a candy store and trying new beer is at least half the fun!

I tried Jai Alai on draft in Ft Myers. I really wanted to try Funky Buddha but I couldn't find any.
    I think Cigar City does a cucumber saison that is highly regarded, hoping to try that some day.
    A cucumber saison? I have only had one saison, from a brewery here that I really like and don't quite know what to think of it. Very flavorful, but very different flavors. I would think cucumber would be better with some kind of a lighter, less flavorful beverage. I think Jai Alai is the only Cigar city brew I had as I didn't see any singles, so splurged for a 6 pack. I think that is the other reason my costs are up a lot this year is I have bought a lot of singles and fewer 6 and 12 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    A cucumber saison? I have only had one saison, from a brewery here that I really like and don't quite know what to think of it. Very flavorful, but very different flavors. I would think cucumber would be better with some kind of a lighter, less flavorful beverage. I think Jai Alai is the only Cigar city brew I had as I didn't see any singles, so splurged for a 6 pack. I think that is the other reason my costs are up a lot this year is I have bought a lot of singles and fewer 6 and 12 packs.
    Quick web search suggests it is Cigar City cucumber saison.
    Wicked Weed had "coolcumber" beer that maybe mattman91 can comment on.

I bought a 22 oz bottle of the Cigar City cucumber saison last week. I'm hoping to drink it this weekend. I will report when I do.

Like fuse I enjoy a nice berlinerweisse. Festina Peche is awesome but I haven't seen it Florida yet this year so I got some Bell's Oarsman (a straight up no fruitiness-added version) and am enjoying it.

Keeping with the tart, low alcohol, theme for summer I picked up a 6 pack (in cans) of The Kimmie, the Yink, and the Holy Gose from Anderson Valley (CA). It's part of their small batch 128 series. I have not had much exposure to goze or gueuze styles before but I find it very, very good. It has a little more malt/fruity character than a berlinerweiss but it still quite tart and refreshing. I highly recommend it if you like this style of beer.

I've also enjoyed Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice Cream Ale and their Belk's ESB. I found their Hop Ottin' IPA average and didn't like their dark lager. I haven't searched the archives but don't remember much discussion of their beers in our largely NC/VA-based beer thread. Anybody else have an opinion on The Kimmie, The Yink, and the Holy Gose or any of their beers?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Be sure to check out the Travel Channel tonight for the premier of the new show, American Grilled, that was filmed right here in Asheville. Doesn't sound beer related, huh? They visited Hiwire Brewing to pair with the BBQ they tried. A viewing party will be at Hiwire tonight...I believe that's where I'll be

It was pretty good from what I remembered, rather mild in flavor. The Watermelon Saison last year was excellent, coming from a guy that isn't big on "fruity" beer. They are actually about to tap this years batch on Saturday. I'll report back in a few days to see if they changed the recipe.
    Last edited by mattman91; 07-02-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I bought a 22 oz bottle of the Cigar City cucumber saison last week. I'm hoping to drink it this weekend. I will report when I do.

Like fuse I enjoy a nice berlinerweisse. Festina Peche is awesome but I haven't seen it Florida yet this year so I got some Bell's Oarsman (a straight up no fruitiness-added version) and am enjoying it.

Keeping with the tart, low alcohol, theme for summer I picked up a 6 pack (in cans) of The Kimmie, the Yink, and the Holy Gose from Anderson Valley (CA). It's part of their small batch 128 series. I have not had much exposure to goze or gueuze styles before but I find it very, very good. It has a little more malt/fruity character than a berlinerweiss but it still quite tart and refreshing. I highly recommend it if you like this style of beer.

I've also enjoyed Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice Cream Ale and their Belk's ESB. I found their Hop Ottin' IPA average and didn't like their dark lager. I haven't searched the archives but don't remember much discussion of their beers in our largely NC/VA-based beer thread. Anybody else have an opinion on The Kimmie, The Yink, and the Holy Gose or any of their beers?
    Festina Peche hit the Triangle around the second week of June. Only have about half of the case I bought left- it goes fast in my house. Summer favorite for sure.
    If Bell's Oarsman reaches NC, I've not seen it.

I had a can of Holy Gose at 42nd st oyster bar a few weeks ago. It was tart, I really liked it.

Consumed two ounce samples in the wrong order at a beer tasting this evening sponsored by a distributor at a new beer shop 2 (frighteningly close) miles to our house:

Kasteel-Brouwerij Vanhonsebrouck

A Belgian golden or tripel that is dangerously easy to consume at 11% ABV. Poured a golden-yellow with a small head. Lighter European hops (Saaz?) and light candi sugar impart floral and sweet aromas and tastes. This is one of the reasons they pour small samples at tastings, especially of high gravity ales. A quality rival for Duvel.

Steelhead Extra Pale Ale-Mad River Brewing

Poured a straw-yellow with a modest head. Some floral notes with a bit of very light caramel tastes. Here's the data and brewer's thoughts:

A bright golden hued ale of medium body with a spicy floral hop character and very mild bitterness. Our flagship brand! 2008 and 2012 Gold Medal and 2010 & 2013 Silver Medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival in the Golden and Blonde Ale category.

Malts: 2-row pale malt, with white wheat and carapils for body and head retention

Bittering hops: Colombus

Flavor Hops: Cascade and Amarillo

Finishing Hops: Cascade, Willamette and Tettnanger

O.G. 1.056
    F.G. 1.011
    ABV 5.6%
    IBU 26.24

That's quite a variety of hops for only 26 IBU. Nice, lighter pale ale for a summer tasting.

Consumed two ounce samples in the wrong order at a beer tasting this evening sponsored by a distributor at a new beer shop 2 (frighteningly close) miles to our house:

Kasteel-Brouwerij Vanhonsebrouck

A Belgian golden or tripel that is dangerously easy to consume at 11% ABV. Poured a golden-yellow with a small head. Lighter European hops (Saaz?) and light candi sugar impart floral and sweet aromas and tastes. This is one of the reasons they pour small samples at tastings, especially of high gravity ales. A quality rival for Duvel.
    I don't recognize this beer, and Kasteel Rouge is amazing- aged in brandy barrels and cherries.
    I've had one other Kasteel beer, great stuff.

Red-Bottle Tree Brewing (Tryon, NC)

I may have found the replacement for fuse's Killians.

This is an Irish imperial red ale. Poured a red-brown with a small head. Nice aromas of nuts, pine, slightly burned brown sugar and a bit of dark caramel. Would make a nice pairing with game, hearty stews or spicy grilled fare. Magnum and East Kent Golding hops, Marris Otter malt and Irish ale yeast check in with IBUs of 83 and an ABV of 7.5%. This is a red ale with some body and taste.

Cool concept

I don't recognize this beer, and Kasteel Rouge is amazing- aged in brandy barrels and cherries.
    I've had one other Kasteel beer, great stuff.
    This was it:

http://www.vanhonsebrouck.be/en/kasteelbier-trippel.php

I could have had 12 ounces of this. Or more. Easily. Waaay too easily.

Taking a break midway through the 6 brews I sampled this evening.

Cost-$0.00

I did cash in my $15 gift card (and overspent my budget, of course, and spent an extra $3 on the 6er) at the tasting on 3 Green Flash, 2 Green Man and a never before seen Sierra Nevada spiced stout. Those will be weekend reviews.

Taking a break midway through the 6 brews I sampled this evening.

Cost-$0.00

I did cash in my $15 gift card (and overspent my budget, of course, and spent an extra $3 on the 6er) at the tasting on 3 Green Flash, 2 Green Man and a never before seen Sierra Nevada spiced stout. Those will be weekend reviews.
    The Sierra Nevada spiced stout is their first special beer out of western NC- haven't seen it yet.

The Kasteel I tried other than Rouge was the Blonde.

Enjoying NoDa Jam Session, which is reminding me how much I enjoy subtle beer as much or more than over the top beer.

Citra Dog-Thirsty Dog Brewing

From the folks who brew 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale and Old Leghumper (I kid you not), comes a pungent IPA brewed with only Citra hops. Lots of citrus and a whiff of resin here. Poured and light orange-yellow with a small head, this did not promise to be a very balanced IPA with a stunning IBU rating of 95 and an ABV of 6.5% but tasting proved me somewhat wrong. It's still a rather hop-forward beer but the malts ease the bitterness to a reasonable degree. Probably oughtta be labeled a big IPA or a 1.5IPA as the numbers straddle the boundary between a standard IPA and an IIPA. Worth a taster or a single but not one I'd revisit regularly.

Steelhead Double IPA-Mad River Brewing

Poured a medium yellow-orange with a modest foamy head, this IIPA tends toward pine and resin with hints of mango and pineapple. Lotta damn hops in this one, both in quantity and variety as the IBUs are 95.2. Generous grain bill, too, as listed below with an ABV of 8.6%. The IIPA is a tough category and tghis would not be one of my favorites, but, as mentioned with Citra Dog, it's worth a taster or a single but now a full 4 pack or 6er. Brewer's notes below:

Malty, hoppy and robust, Double IPA is dry hopped with Amarillo hops for a fresh piney and citrus flavor and aroma. Aggressively hopped, but perfectly balanced.

Malts: 2-row pale malt, Carastan 30/37, Crystal 70/80 and Wheat

Bittering hops: Colombus and Brewer’s Gold
    Flavor Hops: Brewer’s Gold, Chinook and Cascade
    Finishing Hops: Cascade and Amarillo
    Dry Hops: Amarillo

O.G. 1.080
    F.G. 1.014
    ABV 8.6%
    IBU 95.2