Page 255 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1552052452532542552562572653053557551255 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    devildeac, if there's still one around, please get one of my stouts to fuse.

I'm coming to Raleigh Brewing Thursday with my brewer, late-morning through about 2PM if anyone else cares to join us. Hopefully will get tired enough to go back to bed in the next hour or so.
    Enjoying one now. More later. Fuse will certainly get one. I'm gonna save the final one for about 30-60 days and report back.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Had lunch today with a VPI grad, '77, who's a very nice fella with 350 acres in South Hill. I pitched my idea for farming hops and other brew ingredients. He's very familiar with growing wheat, barley, etc. Not hops. Yet, he has given me access to some land to build my hopyard. We looked at four possible sites on his properties and I think there's one that stands out as best suitor. Will have to pump water from a creek about 300 yards away, but it never dries up even if there's drought (hops love water). He agreed to let me build my trellis system, he will let me use his equipment and have his employees maintain it up until harvest. I left his farm and went to purchase my lumber; he called the lumber yard as we were on the farm. Turns out the guy he called is one of the guys in my fantasy football league-I got a reasonable price on wood. Thus, I've now paid for my hops and my lumber, now time for some sweat-equity and we'll go from there. I'll need to plant by mid-April. Mostly Cascade, but have 4 other varietals coming.

He wants me to draw up a contract for our agreement, no problem there. His lawyer is my wife's uncle. He allowed me to set most of the terms, which will be very fair to both. I told him I wanted at least a 10-year agreement, so I'll likely do that, with an additional option for 2 more 10-year deals. He wants to get involved in this business and see if it has legs. I told him I'd try to contract out some of the hops to other breweries as fresh hops and I'm responsible for the harvest. That being said, I may need a few of you to be my guests to harvest hops in late summer-I'll provide food and beer!!

I would love additional input from you guys as to what else I can ask him to grow. He recently bought additional acreage and wants to broaden his spectrum.

His son is in business on his farm making fresh sausage and I viewed their facility, so I have access to brats and such. I agreed to sell his sausage as well. Almost a marriage made in (pork and beer) heaven Green Bay Packers fans should be jealous!!

All-in-all, not a bad day as I recover from my trip to Raleigh Friday!!
    You have to give me lead time but harvesting hops sounds like fun!

OK, this is bad, but I can't sleep, so here goes.

My homebrewed Russian imperial stout infused with cherry. As I'm challenged with my sinuses, it smells like coffee and beer to me. IBUs probably only about 30, ABV about 9. This brew just gets better with age-it's about a month old now and is too good/balanced for it's gravity. Would be really good with the above-mentioned beer-brats, but I'm not eating a 4:20 this morning. I am pissed Sweetwater has a "420" brew 'cause I was gonna do that. Oh well!!
    I think devildeac and Bob Green will enjoy this beer when they taste it, reason being, I don't much care for stouts and this one I can drink. Smooth. Hopefully will put me back to sleep. Maybe I'll be back around noon to rethink this decision. Too late now

My brewery will have a theme symbolic of the tobacco heritage of Southside Va and the north-central NC, so please think of some names that will attract local folks. Already going to do a Lake Gaston, Buggs Island and Kerr Lake beer. We want to own the lakes. Dan River, Meherrin River, what else?

We can all have fun in this process. I already have. Almost finished this brew now, in all of 10 minutes. Smooth.
    Copyright infringement abounds, but "Lucky Stout" (with a ripoff lucky strike similar logo)
    Tippecanoe and duketaylor, too ? (Ack, sorry that was awful)
    Wise Norlina - if not the first, one of the first exits in NC on I-85. One of my fraternity brothers was in a band called Sade's Realm and he wrote/ recorded a song with this title. Another nonsensical suggestion that may have meaning only for me.

Tobacco Road - might be hard to believe this isn't taken already. An amber?

Charlotte musings, part ?

Flying Saucer in Charlotte.

Triple C Smoked Amber - name actually says it all. Moderately bitter, sweet with a strong smoke finish.
    Glad I tried ok but not worth repeating.

NoDa Midnight Madness Back IPA

Woo Hoo! I could have stayed here all night and kept drinking this.
    Dark strong, resiny goodness. Whoever invented the black IPA has my gratitude, this is a fantastic one.

Highlands Devils Britches IPA
    This beer had its hop game going on to follow the NoDa. All the hoppy goodness to match the NoDa with a vastly superior nose. Hops for miles. I trashed Highlands up thread, this was a great beer.

OK, this is bad, but I can't sleep, so here goes.

My homebrewed Russian imperial stout infused with cherry. As I'm challenged with my sinuses, it smells like coffee and beer to me. IBUs probably only about 30, ABV about 9. This brew just gets better with age-it's about a month old now and is too good/balanced for it's gravity. Would be really good with the above-mentioned beer-brats, but I'm not eating a 4:20 this morning. I am pissed Sweetwater has a "420" brew 'cause I was gonna do that. Oh well!!
    I think devildeac and Bob Green will enjoy this beer when they taste it, reason being, I don't much care for stouts and this one I can drink. Smooth. Hopefully will put me back to sleep. Maybe I'll be back around noon to rethink this decision. Too late now

My brewery will have a theme symbolic of the tobacco heritage of Southside Va and the north-central NC, so please think of some names that will attract local folks. Already going to do a Lake Gaston, Buggs Island and Kerr Lake beer. We want to own the lakes. Dan River, Meherrin River, what else?

We can all have fun in this process. I already have. Almost finished this brew now, in all of 10 minutes. Smooth.
    Chuck's Cherry-Infused Imperial Stout-Duketaylor Brewing

This is your best one yet, sir. Smooth. Frighteningly quaffable. Drinks waaay too easy for a ~9% adult beverage. I can see how you consumed yours in 10 minutes at 3-4 AM.

Poured a near onyx with a hint of burgundy and a 1 mm head. Do not decant the last 1/2 ounce or so as it's sludge. I caught myself with a moderately aggressive pour to see what kind of head would result and fortunately poured very little sediment into the pint glass. Allowed about 15 minutes to warm a bit before consuming. Nose is dark, semi-sweet chocolate with a very small splash of coffee. No cherries in the scent but mild sour cherries in the finish. Not quite enough cherry flavor to call this a chocolate covered cherry but not over-powering either. A good balance. More fruit than your raspberry brown ale but not enough to think cough syrup. I'd agree with the IBUs about 30 which would be a bit low for a RIS. I'll trust you on the ABV of 9% so I won't have a second brew tonight. Liquid dessert or serve with truffles or a slice of Black Forest Cake. I'd put this on your seasonal menu for the winter this year and consider one batch "plain" and the second as a barrel-aged limited release.

Thank you, very happy with it's outcome and glad you like. I, generally, don't care for stouts, but was pleased with this one.

Heading to Raleigh tomorrow, with my brewer, to tour Raleigh Brewing, discuss our plans, etc. Should be there from noon-2PM if anyone wants to join us.

I guess now it's Go Duke baseball!!

Thank you, very happy with it's outcome and glad you like. I, generally, don't care for stouts, but was pleased with this one.

Heading to Raleigh tomorrow, with my brewer, to tour Raleigh Brewing, discuss our plans, etc. Should be there from noon-2PM if anyone wants to join us.

Golf anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Chuck's Cherry-Infused Imperial Stout-Duketaylor Brewing

This is your best one yet, sir. Smooth. Frighteningly quaffable. Drinks waaay too easy for a ~9% adult beverage. I can see how you consumed yours in 10 minutes at 3-4 AM.

Poured a near onyx with a hint of burgundy and a 1 mm head. Do not decant the last 1/2 ounce or so as it's sludge. I caught myself with a moderately aggressive pour to see what kind of head would result and fortunately poured very little sediment into the pint glass. Allowed about 15 minutes to warm a bit before consuming. Nose is dark, semi-sweet chocolate with a very small splash of coffee. No cherries in the scent but mild sour cherries in the finish. Not quite enough cherry flavor to call this a chocolate covered cherry but not over-powering either. A good balance. More fruit than your raspberry brown ale but not enough to think cough syrup. I'd agree with the IBUs about 30 which would be a bit low for a RIS. I'll trust you on the ABV of 9% so I won't have a second brew tonight. Liquid dessert or serve with truffles or a slice of Black Forest Cake. I'd put this on your seasonal menu for the winter this year and consider one batch "plain" and the second as a barrel-aged limited release.
    I've got one of these and a cornflake cream ale (I kid you not) for you when we can connect. More tomorrow on that breakfast cereal brew.

I had a New Belgium Spring Blonde last night. 6% ABV Belgian style ale.
    Pretty much fit the bill of what you've described as your target signature beer.

Devildeac, you've never seen me play golf. :-)
    Atrocious would be a kind description of how I play.
    In spite of that, I like to play golf. I just never get in any practice time so I don't put in the work to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I had a New Belgium Spring Blonde last night. 6% ABV Belgian style ale.
    Pretty much fit the bill of what you've described as your target signature beer.

Devildeac, you've never seen me play golf. :-)
    Atrocious would be a kind description of how I play.
    In spite of that, I like to play golf. I just never get in any practice time so I don't put in the work to get better.
    Actually, that comment was directed at duketaylor after he quoted "go Duke baseball." I was stunned/astonished he didn't mention the men's/women's golf teams considering his golf connection with Duke. I'll take your word for it though about your ability/performance on the links. My golf game used to be respectable but I'm not sure I could even hit the ball off a tee or the turf having not played in so long.

I follow our golf teams pretty closely, but mentioned baseball since it appears to be gaining steam. Go DUKE!!

Chuck's Brewer's Cornflake Cream Ale-Chuck's Brewer's Home Brewing

If Chuck hadn't told me of the "secret" ingredient in this brew, I might not have guessed/tasted it. Poured a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a toasted grain nose and tastes of cornflakes and light brown sugar. I'm serious here folks, believe it or not. There was not much of a head and I decanted carefully as I spotted a modest amount of sediment at the bottom of the 12 ounce bottle. This was a really pleasant session ale with an estimated IBU about 30 or less and ABV in the 5% range. I have one left for fuse to accompany the cherry RIS I reviewed earlier this week.

Cornucopia

Wrong season, but...

Raleigh Brewing Company
    White Fox
    Honey strong ale aged on whiskey staves
    A fine balance of sweet and wood in an amber strong ale.

Anchorage/ DFH collaboration
    Tide and It's Takers
    Bottling date Oct 2011
    Sour, funky, tart. Loved it, a good ( and maybe surprising) reason to cellar beer.

Dogfish Head Kvasir
    Tart from cranberry, wish I could discern the birch syrup.
    Another exotic DFH beer- probably won't buy again but I really enjoyed it.

Good night for a good selection of beers.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Cornucopia

Wrong season, but...

Raleigh Brewing Company
    White Fox
    Honey strong ale aged on whiskey staves
    A fine balance of sweet and wood in an amber strong ale.

Anchorage/ DFH collaboration
    Tide and It's Takers
    Bottling date Oct 2011
    Sour, funky, tart. Loved it, a good ( and maybe surprising) reason to cellar beer.

Dogfish Head Kvasir
    Tart from cranberry, wish I could discern the birch syrup.
    Another exotic DFH beer- probably won't buy again but I really enjoyed it.

Good night for a good selection of beers.
    I've got a couple 750 ml bottles of Anchorage Brewing selections I found in Kentucky (of all places) last fall when you are in a trading/purchasing mood.

Belgian Golden Ale from Chuck or his brewer-From some location in Richmond

I think this is the second best brew you or your brewer has created. Poured a cloudy yellow-gold with a large, fizzy head of gorgeous Belgian lace which lingered throughout the tasting. Floral bouquet tantalizes the olfactory lobe and a bit of bitter orange zest and under-ripe pear and Granny Smith apples on the palate with a hint of black pepper from your Belgian yeast along with a faint amount of Belgian candi sugar in the finish. I'd guess IBUs around 20 with an ABV of 9% as I'm feeling just a bit of a buzz at the end of my 12 ounce serving. Reminds me of Victory's Golden Monkey which I really like. I'm sad you only honored me with one of these as I'd love to cellar one for 60-90 days and give one to fuse. This was a really good home brew.

What's the general consensus for the beer at Raleigh brewing? I've been there twice, tried 4 beers and liked them all. My brewer liked the two he had Thursday. Czech Pilsner and Belgian Golden.

Duketaylor, I've liked all the Raleigh Brewing beers I've tried.

Today in the Triangle, Wicked Weed seems to be taking over all the bottle shops at noon. Sam's, Beer Dispensary, Bottle Revolution(I think).
    I'd love to get a bottle but I think all these places will be a zoo.

Duketaylor's American Amber Ale

Duketaylor was kind enough to give me some samples of his homebrewed beer after Duke's tragic loss to Mercer in Raleigh so I broke out his American Amber Ale today during a late lunch. It poured dark reminding me of Newcastle Brown Ale. Most important the ale was smooth with no bitter after taste. I went all out and poured the ale into a chilled pint glass and as I drank nice rings were left around the glass. I'm told those rings are a solid indication of quality.

I'd like to have a few more of these in the future. DT's AAA complemented my Five Guys cheeseburger nicely and I'm sure it would equally complement a pizza. Cheeseburgers and pizza plus BBQ, basically my entire diet.
    Bob Green

What's the general consensus for the beer at Raleigh brewing? I've been there twice, tried 4 beers and liked them all. My brewer liked the two he had Thursday. Czech Pilsner and Belgian Golden.
    Never tasted one of their brews so no opinion here.

Working on a Saturday? Booo! A trip to Wicked Weed will have to follow this...