Page 22 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432721225221022 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Remaining 5 bottles:

1. by itself
    2. with a brownie
    3. with a chocolate chip cookie
    4. with a piece of chocolate cake(german chocolate?)
    5. with some honey/cinnamon/brown sugar glazed nuts(pecans?)

To me, this is an after dinner brew or dessert beer and might not match with any appetizers/salads/soups/entrees. You could always be brave like Tilly and have it with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream as a beer float. I still have not followed my own lead on this .
    WHAT!?! Did you lure me into being your guinea pig for a beer float? I feel so used.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    WHAT!?! Did you lure me into being your guinea pig for a beer float? I feel so used.
    Not at all. I have read recipes for beer floats but never garnered up enough courage to actually make and drink one, hence the emoticon that I was embarrassed that someone else tried one on my suggestion and I was not adventurous enough to comply with my own recommendations. (sheepishly submitted). Perhaps tonight...

Just returned from my local store (Andersons) where among other things I purchased a 12ver of Stella for $11.99. They also had mixed, oh boy, spelling going to be a problem here --Lienkugal 12er for the same price--next week.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Just returned from my local store (Andersons) where among other things I purchased a 12ver of Stella for $11.99. They also had mixed, oh boy, spelling going to be a problem here --Lienkugal 12er for the same price--next week.
    lienkugal, leinenkugel or something like that. Reports later in the week?

Red face I bought me a ...

Terrapin rye ... just to give an official taste for the board. Will report later this week.

Just for you, ugadevil,
    Lavabe

try some brown ales. they are generally not very bitter, have a taste of caramel and are of mild alcohol content. I can even get OZZIE to drink a brown ale now and then . Some suggestions: Newcastle, Sweetwater's Sweet Georgia Brown, Dogfishhead's Indian Brown Ale and Brooklyn Brown Ale. Those should keep you busy for several days . You are expected to report back with reviews after sampling some of the above .
    Tried the Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale this weekend. Awesome beer! Definitely taste the hops, that's a good thing. And it has it bit of a kick to it!

all the

Thumbs up Devildeac opinion needed

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Tried the Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale this weekend. Awesome beer! Definitely taste the hops, that's a good thing. And it has it bit of a kick to it!
    Devildeac: Better than Sweet Georgia Brown?

Could it be better than the old Longshot Brewery Hazlenut Brown Ale?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Devildeac: Better than Sweet Georgia Brown?

Could it be better than the old Longshot Brewery Hazlenut Brown Ale?
    1. Yes. The Dogfishead Indian Brown Ale is superb. It is a bit more malty and hoppy than the Sweetwater variety, is made with carmelized brown sugar, I think(no Rolling Stones references needed), and is 7.2% ABV. I believe I have served this to you before, possibly during the same visit I introduced you to Raison d'etre.

2. The Longshot brew was also superb(RIP). HOWEVER, I visited the Sam Adams website today and saw an ad for the 2008 Longshot Homebrewers competition so this is either being resuscitated or they do the brewing and do not bottle the beers as they did in the past.

2a. If you like hazlenut brown ales, try the Rogue Hazlenut Brown Nectar which is outstanding also.

ymm, beer

A classic: Samichlaus(2003)-This is the ultimate double bock. A very high gravity(14% ABV), smooth, warming, sherry-like, sipping beer. Very malty and caramel-like in aroma and taste, even sweet. This monster is brewed once a year on St Nick's Day and released about 10 months later. I have had this beer cellared for about 4.5 years now and tonight it is crisp, clean and even gentler on the tongue and palate than the first bottle enjoyed in 2004. If you ever have the opportunity to buy a 4 pack of this, you must and enjoy one shortly after purchase and then one annually until gone, 3-4 years later. About $4/bottle but undeniably worth it. I hope I can make it down the hall to bed tonight after enjoying this one over the last hour or so. Simply and fabulously delicious.

Not at all. I have read recipes for beer floats but never garnered up enough courage to actually make and drink one, hence the emoticon that I was embarrassed that someone else tried one on my suggestion and I was not adventurous enough to comply with my own recommendations. (sheepishly submitted). Perhaps tonight...
    devildeac, ole buddy, ole pal. Have you tried a beer float yet?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    devildeac, ole buddy, ole pal. Have you tried a beer float yet?
    no, he said as he squirmed uncomfortably, maybe tonite or Saturday

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For me, maybe never--I repeat, sounds like a waste of good beer and not a good use of ice cream. Hmm, another thread?? Best bar food--I'm a pretzel/chip guy myself.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    For me, maybe never--I repeat, sounds like a waste of good beer and not a good use of ice cream. Hmm, another thread?? Best bar food--I'm a pretzel/chip guy myself.
    think about it though-coke or root beer float with something carbonated and sweet plus the vanilla taste and sweetness of a dairy product. beer float with a chocolate or coffee tasting stout plus a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. I would not dream of doing this with an amber/pale/brown ale but definitely would with a 'dessert' beer. How about it ohioguy, we each 'waste' a stout and a scoop or two of Breyer's/Edy's tonight or tomorrow and post our reviews on the beer thread this weekend?

Thumbs down Waste away

think about it though-coke or root beer float with something carbonated and sweet plus the vanilla taste and sweetness of a dairy product. beer float with a chocolate or coffee tasting stout plus a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. I would not dream of doing this with an amber/pale/brown ale but definitely would with a 'dessert' beer. How about it ohioguy, we each 'waste' a stout and a scoop or two of Breyer's/Edy's tonight or tomorrow and post our reviews on the beer thread this weekend?
    If you have enough carbonation in the dessert beer, it might work ... but I see this as a complete waste of two food groups.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

If you have enough carbonation in the dessert beer, it might work ... but I see this as a complete waste of two food groups.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The BBBCS will have a nice foamy head if poured down the middle of the glass instead of down the side as a beer is usually and properly poured.

My challenge is now on to you also. Have a Happy Ending float tonight with some Edy's or Breyer's vanilla ice cream and post your review over the weekend. I convinced Tilly to try one and she liked it so I must follow through with my suggestion and have one myself. If you ruin a beer and a scoop of ice cream, think about how many other bad beers and lousy ice creams you have had in the past and chalk it up to bad advice from me but one of life's learning experiences. Better yet, have a half a beer and a small scoop of ice cream so you won't feel too guilty if the concoction is dreadful.
    BTW, beer has all the basic food groups you will ever need: water, malted barley, yeast and hops . Ice cream only has two: dairy and sugar .

Smile Umm... more pressing matters

The BBBCS will have a nice foamy head if poured down the middle of the glass instead of down the side as a beer is usually and properly poured.

My challenge is now on to you also. Have a Happy Ending float tonight with some Edy's or Breyer's vanilla ice cream and post your review over the weekend. I convinced Tilly to try one and she liked it so I must follow through with my suggestion and have one myself. If you ruin a beer and a scoop of ice cream, think about how many other bad beers and lousy ice creams you have had in the past and chalk it up to bad advice from me but one of life's learning experiences. Better yet, have a half a beer and a small scoop of ice cream so you won't feel too guilty if the concoction is dreadful.
    BTW, beer has all the basic food groups you will ever need: water, malted barley, yeast and hops . Ice cream only has two: dairy and sugar .
    Sorry, no can do, as I am trying Terrapin Golden Ale tonight.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Sorry, no can do, as I am trying Terrapin Golden Ale tonight.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

That's what I like to hear. I'm going to the store to get things to make Chocolate Chip Muffins to try out with my Vanilla Porter.

My wife and I and two other couples are going to a restaurant called Stella's tonight. Owned by a classmate of my wife's. I feel, that if they have Stella, I should drink it. If they have a good beer list I will try something else. BUT, no beer float.