Page 2121 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1121162120212071211121192120212121222123 LastLast
Results 42,401 to 42,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    About time to bump this up

The local Asheville paper ran this article by a reporter for the Peoria Journal Star who happened to spend a few days in Asheville drinking beer. The article is behind a paywall, but the paper lets you read a limited number of articles a month.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ry/8700455002/

Some amusing (for me) parts:

The author writes glowingly about the taprooms in Asheville's "South Slope" area. The name is nothing more than a real estate tactic to gentrify what ten or so years ago was a light industrial area and is now filling up with condos and taprooms. A former student of mine has his studio in that area and has watched with despair as he is becoming priced out of the location along with all the auto body shops.

The Sierra Nevada brewery is described as "beer Disney World," and mostly for tourists, which I completely agree with, having been exactly once when I first moved here and haven't been back.

There was a funny description of the Highwire brewery, which I will not spoil for those who choose the read the article.

Sorry to see this thread become inactive & thought it could use a refresh.

Section 15
    Thanks for posting this. Agree completely about Sierra Nevada. Of the three national breweries in the area, I probably like their beer the best but would not go back to their Disneyish taproom. Much prefer visiting the deck at New Belgium or outside at Oscar Blues.

Spent almost a week in Weaverville in early October, and visited two solid places for the first time -- Hillman (a little corporate, but I liked it) and Cellarest (impressed with their beer). What are your thoughts about those two breweries?

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Agree completely about Sierra Nevada. Of the three national breweries in the area, I probably like their beer the best but would not go back to their Disneyish taproom. Much prefer visiting the deck at New Belgium or outside at Oscar Blues.

Spent almost a week in Weaverville in early October, and visited two solid places for the first time -- Hillman (a little corporate, but I liked it) and Cellarest (impressed with their beer). What are your thoughts about those two breweries?
    I've enjoyed Hillman's the times I've been there, especially the ability to eat and drink outdoors during the pandemic. The tables in the back along the creek are a lot more quiet than the ones on the road. The biggest drawback is that they are split between food and beer and are more limited in each area than places that specialize in one or the other.

I've not been to Cellarest, so I can't offer an opinion.

As I wrote in another thread, the very best brewery/taproom I've been to is cursus kĕmē:

https://smokymountains.com/asheville...s/cursus-keme/ and https://cursuskeme.com/

Hard to find (hidden off Swannanoa River road) but well worth it.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    I've enjoyed Hillman's the times I've been there, especially the ability to eat and drink outdoors during the pandemic. The tables in the back along the creek are a lot more quiet than the ones on the road. The biggest drawback is that they are split between food and beer and are more limited in each area than places that specialize in one or the other.

I've not been to Cellarest, so I can't offer an opinion.

As I wrote in another thread, the very best brewery/taproom I've been to is cursus kĕmē:

https://smokymountains.com/asheville...s/cursus-keme/ and https://cursuskeme.com/

Hard to find (hidden off Swannanoa River road) but well worth it.

Section 15
    I did see that in the other thread and it got my attention. Had not heard about that place, but will make a point of seeking it out on my next visit. I love small places that do their thing well (whatever that thing might be). You should check out Cellarest (across side street next to WALK).

Geez guys, I must have stood behind you in line many many times.

I like Hillman's set up and their food is incredibly tasty. Though, I usually go at lunch during the week when it's mostly quiet.

Yes, Sierra Nevada is Disney-fied, but it's a pretty cool scene. Great outdoor space. Again, good food inside (borderline great) with nice casual options outside.

Had some NoDa Coco Loco Porter, purchased at Total Wine in 4 16 oz. cans. The first one went down easy Tastes like it smells, chocolate and coconut. 6.2% abv, 40 ibu. Will buy again. NoDa is in Charlotte and the brewery is named for the North Davidson neighborhood where it started. I need to explore the area, it's home to much of the city's arts and entertainment venues.

Porters are really nice. I pledge to try more.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Hopped to Death
    Hi-Wire Brewing and Burial Beer Co. (collaboration!)
    16 oz. can - 5.5% ABV - Dry-hopped german style pilsner. Poured as a beautiful glass of gold. As the name suggests, plenty of hops. More herbal than floral. Light in the mouth with a nice clean finish. Fun collaboration by the south slope neighbors!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Best small and large beer towns in the US. No surprise to see the West dominate these rankings

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300346468.html

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Best small and large beer towns in the US. No surprise to see the West dominate these rankings

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300346468.html
    So profoundly wrong on this one!

Raising this thread from the grave to say I loved the Duke win tonight and I am enjoying The Distortion from Burial as a victory pint. It smells (and tastes) like victory

Quote Originally Posted by SenatorClayDavis View Post
    Raising this thread from the grave to say I loved the Duke win tonight and I am enjoying The Distortion from Burial as a victory pint. It smells (and tastes) like victory
    Burial is real deal. Sláinte!

Lent is long over

So, has everyone given up beer?

This thread once had more posts than the longest ever, but hasn't had any beer related posts since last September.

Have we given up on beer?

or all gone to wine or scotch or ...
    or all taken the pledge

very strange

given the history of the thread, not that strange at all.

No, people are still drinking beer.

Well, I'm still a big fan of NEIPAs, or New England IPAs. One of these days I hope to try some more of the ones in, uh, New England.

But there are plenty of good NEIPAs in North Carolina. Forgotten Road Ales in Graham turns out several (they now have a satellite bar in north Greensboro). Wise Man in W-S has a primo milkshake version, Blissed Out, and others. Gypsy Road in Kernersville does NEIPAs very well, too. New Anthem in Wilmington may be the best, although I haven't tried any in a couple years.

I've fallen out of love with the bourbon barrel beers, but still enjoy the plain ol' Foothills Sexual Chocolate Stout. Their Porter is a go-to, and the NEIPA, Hazyum IPA, is nice, too.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post

This thread once had more posts than the longest ever, but hasn't had any beer related posts since last September.

or all taken the pledge

very strange
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    given the history of the thread, not that strange at all.

No, people are still drinking beer.
    As so often happens when things get older, the beer conversation has moved to warmer, friendlier climes...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post

or all taken the pledge

very strange
    You don't remember the Great DBR Schism of 2020?

Shameless Self-Promotion

June 3rd at Pisgah Brewing in Asheville, my non-profit Just Economics is hosting our 13th annual homebrew competition.

If you enjoy an eclectic array of beers (last year had more traditional lagers, pale ales, etc as well as a beet brew, and a "pizza brew!") then come on our and hang out with some fun peeps and try some good beer. Proceeds go to Just Economics, with the mission to educate, advocate, and organize for a just and sustainable local economy that works for all in Western North Carolina.

Click here to join us! If you attend, I'm happy to talk your ear off about Duke basketball, as well as living wages.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Well, I'm still a big fan of NEIPAs, or New England IPAs. One of these days I hope to try some more of the ones in, uh, New England.

But there are plenty of good NEIPAs in North Carolina. Forgotten Road Ales in Graham turns out several (they now have a satellite bar in north Greensboro). Wise Man in W-S has a primo milkshake version, Blissed Out, and others. Gypsy Road in Kernersville does NEIPAs very well, too. New Anthem in Wilmington may be the best, although I haven't tried any in a couple years.

I've fallen out of love with the bourbon barrel beers, but still enjoy the plain ol' Foothills Sexual Chocolate Stout. Their Porter is a go-to, and the NEIPA, Hazyum IPA, is nice, too.
    let me know when you have a pilgrimage up here...quite a few NC folk have...summer is a great time to visit.

This afternoon at 5:00 some friends and I are off to raise a glass at The Community Tap in the bustling micro-city of Travelers Rest, SC.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout from Foothills Brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This afternoon at 5:00 some friends and I are off to raise a glass at The Community Tap in the bustling micro-city of Travelers Rest, SC.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout from Foothills Brewing.
    Foothills makes some mean beers.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    let me know when you have a pilgrimage up here...quite a few NC folk have...summer is a great time to visit.
    Will do! I've never been to New England, but I'm sure I'd love it.

Regarding Foothills, their Pub has some good bar food, too.
    Last edited by killerleft; 05-05-2023 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Foothills add