Page 2 of 2123 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Beers

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I'll defer to Devildeac...

But Madagascar's 3 Horses Beer has sentimental value. Someone just told me that a Ghanaian Bar in DC has some.

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout (St. Louis)
    Sweet Georgia Brown Ale (Sweetwater Brewery, Atlanta)
    Just about everything from the Brooklyn Brewery
    Longshot Hazlenut Brown (no longer made)

Moose Drool is mighty tasty.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    You never brought me any 3 Horses beer
    Schlafly's oatmeal stout-smooth. TB-do they still brew this?
    Sweet Georgia Browm-smooth as a Bill Clinton apology(not original, it is on the label)
    Brooklyn Brewery makes a few ordinary beers but they have a new brew called "1". It is a Belgian golden ale along the line of Duvel. Guess it is named after the "1" train which I assume goes by/near the brewery.
    Wish Sam Adams would revive their home brewers contest. They made some mighty fine home brews and then 'mass' produced them in 'limited' quantities for 'national' distribution. I forget some of their winners but they were quite good.

beer

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    DevilDeac is a true aficionado, but in this corner, and DukeTaylor's too, we're just as happy with a (or more) Bud Light as with anything fancier. Not to say I'll turn down a Newcastle Brown Ale if it is offered.
    A belated thank you for the ride to the Duke-WFU game on Saturday. If only a Duke victory had been the final result. I am glad you liked the Pecan Harvest Ale you had. I wish you had liked the 'Hummer' I gave you. Oops, that did not come out as I thought it would... To explain, a 'Hummer' (as in microbrew) is a Belgian white ale brewed by the Sweetwater brewing company in Atlanta. Kinda like a Hoegaarden(sp?) from Belgium. Never mind, this is too embarrassing already...

beer

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    I just took up skiiing 4 years ago and, as a result, made my way out west a few times for the first time in 20 years. Not sure which I enjoyed most, the skiing and environment or the Fat Tire.

Now if only you can help me convince them to distribute down here in Florida!!
    And Fat Tire is not even their best offering.

beers

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    and your favorites among beers typically found on tap in an average pub?
    probably none(but name your taps in an 'average' pub)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And Fat Tire is not even their best offering.
    What do you recommend instead?

(And have you tried it while hot-tubbing, after skiing? I, like TampaDuke, discovered that particular concoction in the Colorado mountains...)

beers

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    -Anchor Porter (Sweetwater had a great one too, probably even better than Anchor's, but for some reason they quit making it a couple of years ago)
    -Old Speckled Hen
    -Sweetwater IPA
    -the Highland beers from Asheville, NC
    -any of the Chimays
    -just about any of the Flying Dogs
    -(close your eyes and point) on the list at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA
    -cheap stuff: Pabst Blue Ribbon. Any day, any time.

This is also a good time to announce that the Decatur Beer Festival is on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's $30 to drink as much as you can of all the brews from dozens of different breweries right on the Decatur Square, and the admission supports some good local causes. Being in Decatur, it also makes for excellent people-watching. I already have my ticket, and will be there all afternoon. I would love to see some other Atlanta-area DBRers there (EarlJam, this means you). You have to order your tickets ahead of time, as they sell only 5000 and none on the day of the festival. You can get them here:

http://decaturbeerfestival.com/

Anyone who decides to go, let me know; I'd love to meet up.
    All good choices except the Flying Dogs. None of their beers have ever really thrilled me but I have not tried their Gonzo porter or barley wine yet. Maybe this year...

Red Oak is my favorite (Greensboro microbrew), they have their long-time forthcoming brewery finally built and presumably operating. Yeasty, unfiltered, and tasty.

I have certainly figured out the Blue Moon. For my taste buds, it is the best Belgian wheat I've tasted, with or without the orange slice. The French Broad Laurel Country White (Asheville) might be as good, I just don't get to try it enough.

My favorite bottled beer, if I have one, might be Icehouse. At Mexican restaurants I like the Tecate.

equatorial beer

The SO and I have found a new joy -- logging our dives while drinking the local brew. In Honduras, the most popular seemed to be "Port Royal" or "Barena"; In Fiji, "Fiji Bitter" or "Fiji Gold". Mexico - Dos Equis seemed to top the list.

We got to wondering, is there something historical/geographical/agricultural/cultural/financial about lighter, pilsner-type brews being the norm in the equatorial region? I mean, I've not run across a really fantastic, Costa Rican porter or Caribbean IPA, ya know?

beer

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    -Anchor Porter (Sweetwater had a great one too, probably even better than Anchor's, but for some reason they quit making it a couple of years ago)
    -Old Speckled Hen
    -Sweetwater IPA
    -the Highland beers from Asheville, NC
    -any of the Chimays
    -just about any of the Flying Dogs
    -(close your eyes and point) on the list at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA
    -cheap stuff: Pabst Blue Ribbon. Any day, any time.

This is also a good time to announce that the Decatur Beer Festival is on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's $30 to drink as much as you can of all the brews from dozens of different breweries right on the Decatur Square, and the admission supports some good local causes. Being in Decatur, it also makes for excellent people-watching. I already have my ticket, and will be there all afternoon. I would love to see some other Atlanta-area DBRers there (EarlJam, this means you). You have to order your tickets ahead of time, as they sell only 5000 and none on the day of the festival. You can get them here:

http://decaturbeerfestival.com/

Anyone who decides to go, let me know; I'd love to meet up.
    You may want to try Lavabe via PM. Be sure to have a designated driver as 20-30 samples or more can wreck you real quickly. If you REALLY want to try that many beers, be a nerd and keep a list so you at least have a reasonable chance of remembering what you drank when you recover the next day OR, take your $30 and buy 3 or 4 6-packs of some US micros and share them with several friends. (or 10-15 'singles' and share them the same way)

beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Fat Tire is a great beer as are most of the New Belgium products. If you ever are in Fort Collins,Co. be sure to stop in for a beer tasting. I was in the area for a football game a couple of weeks ago--paid the place a visit for about the 4th or 5th time. Take the tour/drink the free beer. The place is run,I believe, by wind power-they give their empoyees bikes--

BTW, Arrogant Bastard is also a great beer as is Shiner Bock.
    The label on Arrogant Bastard is hilarious. The beer is pretty d@mn good, too(but quite hoppy and bitter). There are far better bocks out there than Shiner.

beer

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Schnieder Weiss beer - best.beer.ever.

I first had it in the brahaus in Munich, just a block off of the Marien Platz. It is a wheat beer (NEVER PUT FRUIT IN YOUR WHEAT BEER) and I must admit that the atmosphere was part of the allure at first, but I have enjoyed it back here in the US and it is still wonderful. A good drinking beer, and good with savory dishes, especially pork.

Incidentally, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that fruit should no go in any beer darker than lemonade. Beer with its own flavor needs no fruit. That means you, Blue Moon drinkers. Enjoy that Belgian clean. Drink it down without the garnish.

Exiled

EDIT: Guinness in Ireland is amazing, and distinctly different from anywhere outside of the British Isles.

How about beers brewed with fruits, like Aprihops by the Dogfishead brewery or any of the Belgian lambics? New Glarus brewery in New Glarus, Wisconsin makes a phenomenal Wisconsin cherry ale(brown) and a Raspberry Tart ale. My wife HATES, HATES, HATES beer but I actually got her to drink 6-8 ounces of the Raspberry tart several years ago and admitted she liked it. Of course, it is about $11 per 25 ounce bottle so I am glad whe did not like it too much

beers

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    On my Honeymoon a year ago, I developed a real taste for Belgians, specifically Trappists. Those monks make a good beer.
    No, they make GREAT beers/ales

beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    if you like Ommegang, their 'signature' beer, i think you would like their Three Philosophers, a Belgian quadruple-style blended beer. Kinda like a lambic and brown ales with tons of cherries. Lavabe really liked this one a year or so ago when we shared a 750 ml bottle(you have to share-it is about 10% alcohol

beer

What do you recommend instead?

(And have you tried it while hot-tubbing, after skiing? I, like TampaDuke, discovered that particular concoction in the Colorado mountains...)
    Oh, Fat Tire is quite good, one of the better amber ales in the US, I believe. I got a friend of mine converted off heineken several years ago after he had a Fat Tire. We subsequently had one of their Abbey ales and a Triple(or Tripple), which are nicely brewed representatives of the classic Belgian brown and golden ales, respectively. I cast no dislike on Fat Tire. I am just sad it is not distributed 'back east'(I live in NC)

beers

The SO and I have found a new joy -- logging our dives while drinking the local brew. In Honduras, the most popular seemed to be "Port Royal" or "Barena"; In Fiji, "Fiji Bitter" or "Fiji Gold". Mexico - Dos Equis seemed to top the list.

We got to wondering, is there something historical/geographical/agricultural/cultural/financial about lighter, pilsner-type brews being the norm in the equatorial region? I mean, I've not run across a really fantastic, Costa Rican porter or Caribbean IPA, ya know?
    Not much experience with Caribbean or S. American or equatorial brews but Kalick(sp?) from the Bahamas is a moderately potent full flavored ale.

I think most of your good IPA's are British or American with the styles differing mildly to moderately. The UK style is a bit darker and lower in alcohol and smoother than the US brewers who tend to use lots and lots and lots of hops, make it more bitter and higher alcohol content.

beers

sheesh-I feel like Jason 'I never met a post I didn't like' Evans tonite. I have work tomorrow and I just finished a Sweet Georgia Brown and Sweetwater IPA(thank you, Lavabe!) and have not even had a chance to read the on-topic board. More tomorrow perhaps.

Two suggestions

I've just recently tried Kona Pipeline Porter, and wow -- it's fantastic. Not sure if you can get it outside of the West Coast. I must say, being in Oregon is fantastic for beer.

When I'm back on the East Coast, I like to knock back a few Magic Hat #9s. That's a good beer! A little fruity and light, very drinkable.

A vote for all products of the Mendocino Brewing Company, especially the Eye of the Hawk. It's my reliable Saturday/Sunday afternoon football beer.

As for beer on tap, Mac and Jack's African Amber, which you can only get on tap, and I think can only get in Washington (the state, not the district), is my draught of choice.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    As for beer on tap, Mac and Jack's African Amber, which you can only get on tap, and I think can only get in Washington (the state, not the district), is my draught of choice.
    Ooh, Mac & Jack's is mighty tasty. Kind of forgot it was a local thing only.

Another good beer delicacy -- at the Redhook Brewery (a scant 1.2 miles from my abode) they've teamed up with a local dairy to create an absolutely scrumptious black porter ice cream. It's kind of caramel-y, but definitely has a beer kick; it is really good with hot fudge and caramel sauces!

Goose Island!

1-800-GOOSE-ME (no, seriously)