Page 1928 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 928142818281878191819261927192819291930193819782028 ... LastLast
Results 38,541 to 38,560 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Nightcap in the glass now; sipping slowly and toasting T-dub with each aliquot:

Attachment 12720

I'll post a real review in the AM tomorrow. (spoiler-it's excellent)
    Awesome! Happy to share. Look forward to your review.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The Red Oak of Virginia.
    Except Red Oak is independently owned and operated.

26.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

At the turn, yes.
    Hmm, I *think* I see what you're driving at now...

It’s okay. We’re all still awaiting reviews of South Carolina beers from amusedcupcake’s hubby ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous;1348486[B
    ]I don't think I'll ever make it to 99 but let's see how far I get...
    [/B]
    #1 - Spanish Peaks Brewing - Black Dog Honey Raspberry Ale

The beer that started me down the path to destruction, er I mean, bliss. My very first "Craft Beer" Spanish Peaks is gone now and no one has brewed Black Dog Honey Raspberry in many years...
    You underrate yourself; we all have the confidence you will...

I remember that beer well from 20+ years ago; a very tasty introduction to craft beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    #2 - The Veil - Never Never Calm Calm

My very first beer smoothie. I've never been the same since. I ordered this at a bar and honestly thought they had mistakenly brought me some OJ when she showed up.
    Yep, The Veil does amazing things with their smoothie IPAs/IIPAs/goses/Berliner Weisses. Our son described the Pineapple Tangerine Whip version as "outrageously good."

Hmm, I *think* I see what you're driving at now...
    I'm not putting you on . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

#3 - Hardywood - Bourbon Cru

My favorite of the Hardywood's that I have sampled.

"Hardywood Bourbon Cru is brewed in fashion of Belgium's revered monastic breweries. Bourbon Cru displays a rich mahogany hue with a medium body and brilliant clarity after months of barrel aging. The maturity and melding of flavors brought on by the freshly drained bourbon barrels lend an extraordinary sense of harmony to Bourbon Cru. Almond, toffee, and oaky vanilla give way to notes of dark cherries and raisins. Subtle hints of plum are greeted by caramel overtones for a smooth, robust and warming finish"

12%
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    My #1 beer, and my first BBA venture. A fan of the Cru and the style ever since. Still have a couple from last year and one from two years ago. Will be buying this years Cru Saturday.
    And all the people said...

#4 - Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery - Juicy #22

I was late to the game and missed the first 21 but this one did not disappoint! And #23 and #24 have been just as good! I see that #25 is available, time for a new order.

ABV 7.5

"Who loves orange soda? Juicy 22 loves orange soda. MMMHHMMM! I do, I do, I do-oooh! Soft Creamy head, layered with orange zest, orange juice, and with a soft kiss of vanilla. Juicy 22 showcases the wonderful hop LOTUS. We hope this beverage brings you as much joy as it has brought us."
    {raises hand politely to request a single or two of #25}

#5 - New Glarus - Wisconsin Belgian Red

Near perfection in a fruit beer.

"You hold the marriage of wine and beer. Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin Farmed Wheat and Belgian Roasted Barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year.

Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely "Wisconsin." So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet. Serve your friends Belgian Red in a brandy snifter or champagne flute and toast life with beer from the land of Wisconsin."
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    This is a unanimous cat 3 beer, and unlike any I’ve had locally.
    Nothing is unanimous on dbr. Well, except the Mark Williams MOTM poll and New Glarus fruit beers.

#6 - Karl Strauss - Red Trolley Ale

I used to get sent to southern California a couple times a year for work. Whenever I was in San Diego or La Jolla, I would try to stop by Karl Strauss for a beer or two. I remember this as one of my faves.

"Red Trolley Ale sets the standard for Irish Red Ales. Each batch of this multi award-winning beer is brewed with a half-ton of caramelized malts for a deep copper color and toffee flavor. After adding the perfect mix of hops for balance, the brew is warm-fermented to bring out hints of raisins and currants. It’s time to take this Trolley for a ride."

5.8%
    17IBU
    Local is amazing many times.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Concur

I'm drinking The Vapors right now on a rec from T-Will

Galaxy and Simcoe IPA

Low Cat. 3 - Very very good and would have probably been even better if it had not been in my fridge so long.
    Sometimes, it takes us a while to learn these things and I'm included in that statement. Always something new and educational on Ymm, Beer.

#7 - Rocheforte - 10

The best of the best of the best from our Trappist Beer Virtual Pub. I could have easily substituted the 8 or the 6 but this one stood out.

A 100 score on beer advocate. It's almost like they know what they are talking about.

I think that was my favorite Virtual Pub of 2020. I learned so much and tried so many great beers.
    Agree on all the above. Another shout out to OPK for his choice.

The US brewers produce wonderful Belgian style ales but, when you sip a Rochefort, Corsendonk, Westmalle or almost any other Trappist ales, you learn that the originals/authentics are about a half tier above the US products.

When I lived in a tiny town in Upstate New York called Brockport, there was a bar on the corner that usually had Woodchuck Cider on tap. (This was unusual, around 1999 or so) And they had the most delicious Steak and Cheese sandwich there they called the Balboa. For some reason a fresh Woodchuck on tap and a Balboa was heavenly to me at the time.
    Sounds kinda Rocky to me.

Only two more pages to read from last PM.

Agree on all the above. Another shout out to OPK for his choice.

The US brewers produce wonderful Belgian style ales but, when you sip a Rochefort, Corsendonk, Westmalle or almost any other Trappist ales, you learn that the originals/authentics are about a half tier above the US products.
    The WSJ had an article last week about Trappist Beers and the big threat to them: not enough young men are becoming monks in Belgium and they are low on brewers.

Mattman, I sense a calling ...

#12 - Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes - Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien

"Boldly treading the boundary between port, wine and beer, l'Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien is a unique ale aged in wooden casks which have been used for several years before to age Merlot, Merlot Cabernet, Whisky and then Grappa. It manages to merge into L'Abbaye all the complex aromas of a vintage red wine along with the delicate harmony and flavors of the wood and its former contents. This process requires close monitoring of the beer's evolution. The final version is blended from different casks, to ensure optimal balance, complexity and enjoyment!"

11%

So complex. I love this beer. A little sour, a little oak barrel, a little wine, a lot delicious.

Did you know - This beer was named in fond memory of Bon-Chien, the late brewery cat, deceased in June 2005, whose antics were very popular with brewery visitors.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

#13 - Wasatch Brewery - Devastator

"If you're going to sin, sin big. Our Double Bock is sweet, toasty and rich, but finishes gentle. This beer has developed a serious cult following. Imagine that – a cult following in Utah..."

German Style Doppelbock

Hops - Magnum and Aramis

ABV - 8.0%

IBU - 18

This was one of my favorites during my 5 years in Utah. They used to serve this at my favorite Wood-fired Pizza Joint. Aah, memories. A little harder to find over here but still available once in a while.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

#14 - Center of the Universe Brewing - Monkey's Uncle

Belgian Tripel brewed with local lemongrass
    ABV: 9.0%
    IBU: 23
    "Monkey’s Uncle is COTU’s take on a classic beer style from Belgium – the Tripel. Pilsner malt is the primary building block, providing a light crisp body and straw color. Fresh lemongrass, grown by our friends just down the street at Village Garden, was added at the end of the boil, resulting in a refreshing treat."

Center of the Universe is one of my local faves that doesn't get as much publicity/respect as some of the others. I have a feeling there will be more of their beers in my favorites list.

Some tripels can get a touch syrup-y, a little thick or heavy. This one stays nice and crisp all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The WSJ had an article last week about Trappist Beers and the big threat to them: not enough young men are becoming monks in Belgium and they are low on brewers.

Mattman, I sense a calling ...
    I saw that article but can't remember where; might have even been posted on Ymm, Beer, where much education is available. It also coulda been on one of the news feeds on my phone. Thanks for the reminder/facts!

If you're banned in the USA, I guess you can still post, err, brew in Europe .