Page 1847 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 847134717471797183718451846184718481849185718971947 ... LastLast
Results 36,921 to 36,940 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ok, if we're gonna talk about bock biers, today's history lesson will be on that subject starting with:

https://www.anchorbrewing.com/blog/its-all-about-bock/

"The beer we now know as bock originated in the Northern German city of Einbeck, probably as far back as the 1400s. By the 1600s it was being brewed in the Munich area of Southern Germany. The name “Einbeck” was pronounced as “Einbock” in the Bavarian accent of the region – and “einbock” means “billy goat” in German. Shortened to “bock,” the name remains with us today, as does the visual pun of the goat on the label."

I'll try to discover how/why most (? all) bock biers are *supposed" to end with "-or."
    So you don't have to believe the Anchor Brewing Company "propaganda:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

"Bock is a strong lager (traditionally, and sometimes still, an ale, as in the case of at least some weizenbocks), of German origin. Several substyles exist, including maibock (helles bock, heller bock), a paler, more hopped version generally made for consumption at spring festivals; doppelbock, a stronger and maltier version; weizenbock, a version using 40–60% wheat, and eisbock, a much stronger version made by partially freezing the beer and removing the ice that forms."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

On the label:

"I got all my boyhood in vanilla winter waves around the kitchen stove." - Jack Kerouac

Don't like raisins in my cookies, don't like raisins in my bread, don't like raisins in my cakes. Don't think I'm gonna like raisins in my beer.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Don't like raisins in my cookies, don't like raisins in my bread, don't like raisins in my cakes. Don't think I'm gonna like raisins in my beer.
    But, but, but, they're not hard and chewy like in Simply Granola, nor are they squishy like in breads/cakes/cookies. They're liquid raisins . Maybe we need to find you a BBA Stout with raisins as an ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Darn shame they don't make this any more:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/raison-dextra

"D'Extra takes this concept to the next level. What 120 Minute IPA is to 60 Minute IPA, D'Extra is the D'Etre. We're pushing the limits of what a Belgian yeast can do (and we've discovered that's somewhere in the ballpark of 15% to 18% ABV!)"

From last PM:

Winter Wave-Wise Man Brewing

Local

Credit-the *other* WMB as a trader; thanks!!
    Style-Belgian style flavored winter ale
    Packaging-pint can
    Sipping-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-slightly hazy, dark brown; large, foamy head
    Nose-spiced tea
    Mouthfeel-spicy and tingly
    Tastes-cinnamon, ginger, allspice, orange peel and dark brown sugar (last taste not an adjunct)
    Adjuncts-^^^^
    IBU-30
    ABV-4.9 %
    Overall impression-the allspice (I think) likely gave it a slight astringency, detracting a bit but still a quality winter warmer
    Ymm, Beer rating-upper cat 2; might have been a bit higher if the ABV was more typical for the style in the 6-8% range

From last PM:

Winter Wave-Wise Man Brewing

Local

Credit-the *other* WMB as a trader; thanks!!
    Style-Belgian style flavored winter ale
    Packaging-pint can
    Sipping-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-slightly hazy, dark brown; large, foamy head
    Nose-spiced tea
    Mouthfeel-spicy and tingly
    Tastes-cinnamon, ginger, allspice, orange peel and dark brown sugar (last taste not an adjunct)
    Adjuncts-^^^^
    IBU-30
    ABV-4.9 %
    Overall impression-the allspice (I think) likely gave it a slight astringency, detracting a bit but still a quality winter warmer
    Ymm, Beer rating-upper cat 2; might have been a bit higher if the ABV was more typical for the style in the 6-8% range
    Yeah, I put this in the “solid but not a stand-out” category. I wouldn’t turn it down, but wouldn’t go out of my way for it, either.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970:
    A favorite returns - delivery today, consumption Sunday as soon as I get off work...Ardent -
    Barrel Aged Defenestrator 32oz Crowler

We took this doppelbock collaboration with our friends from The Cask Cafe and further lagered it for 10 months in bourbon barrels. Barrel Aged Defenestrator maintains the same malty base and stone fruit character as the original, adds some extra bourbon aroma and oaky flavor, and still remains a balanced beer. 10.4% ABV • 22 IBU

I really like the sounds of this beer. I wouldn't literally defenestrate someone to get my hands on it, but I might think about it.

Plant closed due to pending Richmond ice storm, so no work tonight!! Decided not to wait to open this 32oz. crowler. It is as good as I remember. It is rich, malty, smooth and has that oak-bourbon finish. Cat3 if you like the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yeah, I put this in the “solid but not a stand-out” category. I wouldn’t turn it down, but wouldn’t go out of my way for it, either.
    I still have one ssA Over Tea Kettle remaining; a great winter warmer.

BTW, our son got one as a trader over Christmas from me/us and had it last week and, the warmerer it got, the betterer he thought it was. Your influence reaches far and wide.

Please tell Ardent they need to bottle/can that one so it can be tucked into 4 packs and safely stored and then muled to a large number of friends you have in NC.
    They’ve really missed on this and BBA Honey Ginger. Not sure what their canning/bottling capabilities are, but this defenestrator is really good and was only available in 32oz. crowlers. I just looked online again and it’s not offered, so not sure I can even get another one. Glad I ordered quick this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    A favorite returns - delivery today, consumption Sunday as soon as I get off work...Ardent -

We took this doppelbock collaboration with our friends from The Cask Cafe and further lagered it for 10 months in bourbon barrels. Barrel Aged Defenestrator maintains the same malty base and stone fruit character as the original, adds some extra bourbon aroma and oaky flavor, and still remains a balanced beer. 10.4% ABV • 22 IBU

I really like the sounds of this beer. I wouldn't literally defenestrate someone to get my hands on it, but I might think about it.

Plant closed due to pending Richmond ice storm, so no work tonight!! Decided not to wait to open this 32oz. crowler. It is as good as I remember. It is rich, malty, smooth and has that oak-bourbon finish. Cat3 if you like the style.
    A BBA doppelbock? Yes, please!!

I still have one ssA Over Tea Kettle remaining; a great winter warmer.

BTW, our son got one as a trader over Christmas from me/us and had it last week and, the warmerer it got, the betterer he thought it was. Your influence reaches far and wide.
    Glad to hear it. AOTK is top-notch stuff.

Just looked at the tap menu from the Ballast Point Chicago location we visited a couple years ago and remember their High West Rye Barrel Aged Navigator was outstanding.

In-game Backwoods Bastard. Good as ever. Thanks again, dd!
    Last edited by Tripping William; 02-17-2021 at 09:29 PM.

You're most welcome. A great, classic beer. Almost always buy a 4 pack when I see it once a year.

Look for their “old curmudgeon” or any variation of it.

Better Half is my favorite Founder’s beer.

I haven't seen that in the last 3-6 months. I did see Curmudgeon's Better Half at Wegmans 4-6 weeks ago when I bought a couple 4 packs of the Coffee Infused BBA Sexual Chocolate. With so much beer delivered/traded in November and December and recent deliveries/trades with the RVA and 336 mules, I chose the "domestic tranquility" option and gently and sadly placed the CBH back on the shelf.