Page 1741 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 741124116411691173117391740174117421743175117911841 ... LastLast
Results 34,801 to 34,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    My sister came to visit for an SDDB today.

We shared the last Lickinghole Creek - 12th Night

I had the first of these during or before our December VP but I don't think I ever reviewed so here goes.

Twelfth Night Spiced Belgian Style Quad -

ABV - Hmm. Can, I believe, says 11.5, Website says 9.5?

"This quad evokes the spirit of the holiday by tasting notes of raisin, plum, prune, and currants beautifully combine with the added spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, whole cloves, cardamom, star anise, and orange peel."

Poured a nice hazy caramel with a good 1/4in head. Lots of the above to hit the nose with a little bit of the belgian quad.

Drinks easy. Smooth with not much to let you know it's a 10%er. Went perfect with lunch and some conversation today.

I really enjoyed this twice! Both Mrs. Nrrrrvous and Sister of Nrrrrvous also enjoyed it.

Sometimes the spices in these can be a bit overpowering but not here. Just the right amount.

Hope that RJ and dd enjoy theirs as much as we did. Probably won't see these again for a year!

I have to edge this up into the low Category 3 range. I just really enjoy Lickinghole Creek's Belgians, no matter what they do to them.
    Hmm, now I'm torn whether to enjoy this myself before company arrives or save and place in the sharing queue. Either way, I'm greatly looking forward to sipping it.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Accfan told me RJ had the Xtreme version when I reminded him I ordered a We Ded Mon when we met at The Veil last July.
    I think it was Enhanced whatever that means

Veil Never Again 3 Extreme

Triple Raspberry Gose

Pours like blackberry puree.
    Deep dark red purple. No head.

Really tart, an amazing raspberry smack to the palate.

Another hit from Veil.

Skol! 🍻

Never Calm3 Xtreme-The Veil Brewing

Local for the mule/s.

Credit-I'm not sure on this one as it could be one of the RVA mules or even RJ199 who brought back a mixed 4 pack last weekend; thanks to whomever/all!!
    Style-fruited gose, though Veil could put damn near anything on their label and it'd be excellent to world class
    Format-pint can
    Sipping vessel-Hardywood teku
    Appearance-smoothie with a surprising no head that became an "oh, crap" moment when it foamed up from the bottom and overflowed a bit
    Aromas-tropical fruit shake
    Mouthfeel-freshly squeezed tropical fruit juice, maybe thicker
    Tastes-boatloads of passion fruit with a hint of pineapple and maybe some mango and papaya (neither added)
    Adjuncts-(triple) passion fruit and pineapple
    IBU-NA; this is not beer
    ABV-7%
    Overall impression-outstanding
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid cat 3; I like berries better but my word, this was deeee-licious

Foothills Moravian Porter

A year-old bomber. I don’t believe they brewed this in 2020. Only 5.8% ABV, so laying it down may not have been the best play. But it is still very good. The bit of harshness (maybe from pecans) has mellowed a bit. Still a hint of gingerbread. Really good with spice cake. Hard to break through the other fantastic Foothills dark beer offerings, but I’m enjoying this a lot.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From last PM:

Black Bugatti-The Veil Brewing

The delivery service called it local.

Credit-Nrrrrvous; thanks!!
    Style-triple black IPA
    Temporary holding facility-16 ounce can
    Stemware-Hardywood teku (yep, boring but I only have one)
    Appearance-darn near black; foamy/creamy tan head
    Nose-burnt grains and citrus
    Mouthfeel-a very roasty bitterness
    Tastes-unusual, meaning grilled and slightly burnt, dark caramel and chocolate coffee dipped, jellied grapefruit and orange slices; hints of resin and anise
    Adjuncts-{shrugs}
    IBU-gotta be at least 60
    ABV-11%
    Overall impression-not gonna be my favorite Veil beer and it was challenging but ended up really enjoying it
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; if you handed me a glass of this, I might have thought baltic porter or dark Cascadian ale; would pair well with a venison tenderloin...

From last PM:

Black Bugatti-The Veil Brewing

The delivery service called it local.

Credit-Nrrrrvous; thanks!!
    Style-triple black IPA
    Temporary holding facility-16 ounce can
    Stemware-Hardywood teku (yep, boring but I only have one)
    Appearance-darn near black; foamy/creamy tan head
    Nose-burnt grains and citrus
    Mouthfeel-a very roasty bitterness
    Tastes-unusual, meaning grilled and slightly burnt, dark caramel and chocolate coffee dipped, jellied grapefruit and orange slices; hints of resin and anise
    Adjuncts-{shrugs}
    IBU-gotta be at least 60
    ABV-11%
    Overall impression-not gonna be my favorite Veil beer and it was challenging but ended up really enjoying it
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; if you handed me a glass of this, I might have thought baltic porter or dark Cascadian ale; would pair well with a venison tenderloin...
    You'll have to come up to visit next weekend to get some Venison...

An interesting style. I was very curious to hear about it. Glad it ended up on a positive note!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Proposal:

When discussing Veil (or any fruit beers), please consider adding your best estimate of vitamin C content, or perhaps refer to it as "Veil Equivalent Units." No statistical analysis need be done and we can call it the "palate test."

More "non-beer" from The Veil:

9ef6f67546cb4944401cd4bf41b2099a_640x640.jpg

More "non-beer" from The Veil:

9ef6f67546cb4944401cd4bf41b2099a_640x640.jpg
    The Motive?

Had it earlier. This girl LOVED it. The fearless and handsome husband was a fan as well!

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    The Motive?

Had it earlier. This girl LOVED it. The fearless and handsome husband was a fan as well!
    That is the Motive. I inverted the can (unopened, of course ) for about 30 minutes before pouring. That ended up being a good idea (thanks, Ymm, Beer!) with a more uniform product in my glass for sipping instead of a first half vs second half type decanting.

OBX Breweries

Hitting the OBX (for the first time) between Boxing Day and NYE. Two nights in Kill Devil Hills. Two in Beaufort. And then a night in Surf City to see the in-laws. What’s the beer scene like out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hitting the OBX (for the first time) between Boxing Day and NYE. Two nights in Kill Devil Hills. Two in Beaufort. And then a night in Surf City to see the in-laws. What’s the beer scene like out there?
    Excellent brewery on Ocracoke, but I'm guessing you won't make it down that far.

Great IPA, tasty porters, sours (if you are wired that way) and the best kitchen on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Excellent brewery on Ocracoke, but I'm guessing you won't make it down that far.

Great IPA, tasty porters, sours (if you are wired that way) and the best kitchen on the island.
    You’re probably right. We’ve debated taking the ferry from there to Cedar Island, but will probably end up driving instead.

You’re probably right. We’ve debated taking the ferry from there to Cedar Island, but will probably end up driving instead.
    The ferry is a nice ride. There will be very little on Ocracoke that is open, but that's half of the reason we like it there.

You know about Salty Turtle; they might have a winter ale on tap in addition to their usual suspects. The Peak Tap Room across the street and down a block from Daddy Mac's may/may not be open. Good flatbreads and >20 assorted taps when we went last time, pre-COVID. New owners have taken over and re-named Hopsail Tap Room and Beer Market near Walmart. We hadn't visited there yet.

You know about Salty Turtle; they might have a winter ale on tap in addition to their usual suspects. The Peak Tap Room across the street and down a block from Daddy Mac's may/may not be open. Good flatbreads and >20 assorted taps when we went last time, pre-COVID. New owners have taken over and re-named Hopsail Tap Room and Beer Market near Walmart. We hadn't visited there yet.
    Don’t forget Weeping Radish and OBX Weather Station(?).

Weeping Radish does good (at least by memory) German style beer. Not great, still worthwhile as the first microbrewery in NC (even if it did start in downtown Durham and relocate).

By rumour, OBX Weather Station is good, have not had the chance myself yet.

Outer Banks Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills is a fun and pretty good brewery. We had great atmosphere and very good beer there. Worth checking out.

Maybe for another OBX trip - Yes the Ocracoke brewery was definitely even better. They had some world class level stuff. If you can get to Ocracoke early and spend day there, it's beyond worth it. Just park and walk on the beach - especially south side. It's one of the most beautiful beaches in North America. Driving over to Ocracoke with your car on the Ferry is super easy and a beautiful ride.

You would be well served to PM Mtn Devil for recs. We took all of them and it made for just a wonderful trip.

I did not like Weeping Radish's beer, but maybe I ordered the wrong one. (No clue on Beaufort or Surf City)

Have fun!

I've been hearing a lot about a brewery in Northern Virginia (The rest of VA recognizes NOVA as it's own state, we try not to go there!) It's called Aslin Beer Company.

I've been doing some research on Beer Advocate. Of the top 100 rated beers of VA, Aslin has 33.

The numbers, in case you are wondering -

Veil - 34
    Aslin - 33
    Hardywood - 9
    Aleworks (Williamsburg) - 6
    Triple Crossing - 5
    The Answer - 4
    Brothers Craft (Harrisonburg) - 2
    Ocelot (NOVA) - 2
    Lickinghole Creek - 2
    Blue Mountain (Afton) - 1
    Champion (Charlottesville) - 1
    Virginia Beer Co (Williamsburg) - 1

As you can see, Aslin is right up there with Veil(Way above the rest, as far as numbers go). So now I'm really curious. They ship to me, but shipping is going to be $30 on top of the price. It's only an hour and half from my house. I think I might have to make a trip up there after the holidays. January/February range.

Their top rated beers are lots of IPAs and Stouts. (I'll be picking up the IPAs, Sensei/Triple Orange Starfish? for myself, of course)
    You guys should hit their website and see if anything looks interesting. I'll definitely pick up some traders but if anything stands out, let me know. I'll keep you informed once I set a date to head up there.
    Last edited by Nrrrrvous; 12-20-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about a brewery in Northern Virginia (The rest of VA recognizes NOVA as it's own state, we try not to go there!) It's called Aslin Beer Company.

I've been doing some research on Beer Advocate. Of the top 100 rated beers of VA, Aslin has 33.

The numbers, in case you are wondering -

Veil - 34
    Aslin - 33
    Hardywood - 9
    Aleworks (Williamsburg) - 6
    Triple Crossing - 5
    The Answer - 4
    Brothers Craft (Harrisonburg) - 2
    Ocelot (NOVA) - 2
    Lickinghole Creek - 2
    Blue Mountain (Afton) - 1
    Champion (Charlottesville) - 1
    Virginia Beer Co (Williamsburg) - 1

As you can see, Aslin is right up there with Veil(Way above the rest, as far as numbers go). So now I'm really curious. They ship to me, but shipping is going to be $30 on top of the price. It's only an hour and half from my house. I think I might have to make a trip up there after the holidays. January/February range.

Their top rated beers are lots of IPAs and Stouts. (I'll be picking up the IPAs for myself, of course)
    You guys should hit their website and see if anything looks interesting. I'll definitely pick up some traders but if anything stands out, let me know. I'll keep you informed once I set a date to head up there.
    That online order page is a great study in effective marketing. Not just a can picture, the beer in a glass in most cases.

Nrrvous, might be worth an $8 flyer for you to try their Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout. 😁

Also interesting they seem to collaborate with a winery. They may not be as thick as Veil(?) the colours sure do look beautiful.

I’m shutting down purchases til February, and will still be interested in reading what you discover as future opportunities present themselves.