Page 1641 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 641114115411591163116391640164116421643165116911741 ... LastLast
Results 32,801 to 32,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    The Weapon - The Veil - Sour DIPA - 8%

Gorgeous bluish-thick purple pour with Half inch lingering head.

The nose is spectacular - raspberries, blueberries, lemon, tartness all there.

The beer tastes even better than it looks which is saying something. Formalities first - this is not a sour DIPA, it's not a DIPA at all, and it's more sweet than sour. But when you're the Veil and you can make something like this, you can get away with that.

This is better than a fruit smoothie, better than firecracker popsicle flavor, and better than candy. You get thick blueberry flavor with grape-flavor like skin due to thickness. It's gorgeously balanced with raspberry puree, just the right lemon tartness, and a faint hoppy finish which is just right. You don't get a bit of alcohol and I'd believe it's 0%. It's a dessert beer with some sweetness, but Veil pulls this kind of thing off they are so good. The faint sour rounds it out even better than any berliner-weisse I've had. Thick, creamy, juicy feel with blueberry / grape skins.

Untappd says Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, and they are much better than they are in the wine. Untappd says raw wheat, malted oats, raspberries, milk sugar, and "thoughtful addition of Nelson and Mosaic." I get zero Nelson and zero Mosaic.

This is high Category 3 for anybody. I'd rate it 4.5-475 on Untappd. It's 4.75 good and quality. It's that damn good start to finish. It really did cheer beergoddess up who has been quite devastated by losing out on this house we bid on because we got outbid by 5K by the only other bidder. But this cheered her up bigtime- thanks accfan!! You could argue 4.5 if you wanted to say - it's not technically a beer at all, and it is sweet, but they know what they're doing to pull it off with perfect balance. You won't taste a better fruit beer concoction. I think this one was better than New Glarus.

But I loved the hell out of that Orange Miata which was a beer and was an IPA. The Veil has some genius beer crafters.

I might have to pair this beer with that pie I'm going to win from Nrrrrvous
    (or he might enjoy pairing it with the pie he wins from me)
    The bolded is for Curtains V which I drank several days ago. I've not had The Weapon yet but, reading the very small Veil print along with Untappd, it appears the only difference is Cabernet Sauvignon grapes in Curtains V and blueberries in The Weapon. Am I confused?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Sushi at our favorite place in Charlotte (Cowfish) and I had a fantastic Jam Session with my sashimi.
    It's been a few years since I had a Jam Session, now readily available at our local Harris Teeter .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's been a few years since I had a Jam Session, now readily available at our local Harris Teeter .
    NoDa makes really good beer.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The bolded is for Curtains V which I drank several days ago. I've not had The Weapon yet but, reading the very small Veil print along with Untappd, it appears the only difference is Cabernet Sauvignon grapes in Curtains V and blueberries in The Weapon. Am I confused?
    You're right, and I'm glad you corrected! I was looking at the Untappd description and thinking - what the hell? They don't list blueberry as an adjunct and I know I taste blueberry. But I was actually looking at Curtains V on Untappd thinking it was The Weapon which I had opened in a different window after fuse's review. So no cabernet grapes in the Weapon - but I do taste some kind of grape skin. Not winey at all - more like sweet red grape skin left on the tongue right after the sip.

I stand by my review though. The Weapon is worth seeking out. We'll get to Curtains V this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    NoDa makes really good beer.
    Better than Heist, Wooden Robot, Resident Culture, Sycamore and/or Divine Barrel? Not a disagreement but a springboard for discussion.

Better than Heist, Wooden Robot, Resident Culture, Sycamore and/or Divine Barrel? Not a disagreement but a springboard for discussion.
    I am a sucker for OMB as well. Great beer town any way you slice it.

You're right, and I'm glad you corrected! I was looking at the Untappd description and thinking - what the hell? They don't list blueberry as an adjunct and I know I taste blueberry. But I was actually looking at Curtains V on Untappd thinking it was The Weapon which I had opened in a different window after fuse's review. So no cabernet grapes in the Weapon - but I do taste some kind of grape skin. Not winey at all - more like sweet red grape skin left on the tongue right after the sip.

I stand by my review though. The Weapon is worth seeking out. We'll get to Curtains V this weekend.
    The Weapon is in the queue for next week, after my weekend of call this weekend.

No Lenny Boy? Or Birdsong?

I’m a YUGE Sycamore fan, and I ain’t talkin’ Larry Bird’s alma mater.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I've had very few OMB beers and, to be honest, a precious few from the other breweries I mentioned, too. Fuse may have posted an article/link last week about a huge no-no from OMB (IIRC) who hosted a large Oktoberfest gathering earlier this month with minimal mask wearing and grossly improper social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    No Lenny Boy? Or Birdsong?

I’m a YUGE Sycamore fan, and I ain’t talkin’ Larry Bird’s alma mater.
    I think my samplings from Lenny Boy and Birdsong are even fewer than the breweries I mentioned.

No.

But fuse is right on their Gordgeous which they just nailed.

I love Wooden Robot but would have to consult a real Charlotte beer drinker to get a reliable ranking. I suspect Resident Culture, Wooden Robot, NoDa > than Divine Barrel, Sycamore, and Heist? but know that Tripping William would disagree

The Weapon - The Veil - Sour DIPA - 8%

Gorgeous bluish-thick purple pour with Half inch lingering head.

The nose is spectacular - raspberries, blueberries, lemon, tartness all there.

The beer tastes even better than it looks which is saying something. Formalities first - this is not a sour DIPA, it's not a DIPA at all, and it's more sweet than sour. But when you're the Veil and you can make something like this, you can get away with that.

This is better than a fruit smoothie, better than firecracker popsicle flavor, and better than candy. You get thick blueberry flavor with grape-flavor like skin due to thickness. It's gorgeously balanced with raspberry puree, just the right lemon tartness, and a faint hoppy finish which is just right. You don't get a bit of alcohol and I'd believe it's 0%. It's a dessert beer with some sweetness, but Veil pulls this kind of thing off they are so good. The faint sour rounds it out even better than any berliner-weisse I've had. Thick, creamy, juicy feel with blueberry / grape skins.

Untappd says Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, and they are much better than they are in the wine. Untappd says raw wheat, malted oats, raspberries, milk sugar, and "thoughtful addition of Nelson and Mosaic." I get zero Nelson and zero Mosaic.

This is high Category 3 for anybody. I'd rate it 4.5-475 on Untappd. It's 4.75 good and quality. It's that damn good start to finish. It really did cheer beergoddess up who has been quite devastated by losing out on this house we bid on because we got outbid by 5K by the only other bidder. But this cheered her up bigtime- thanks accfan!! You could argue 4.5 if you wanted to say - it's not technically a beer at all, and it is sweet, but they know what they're doing to pull it off with perfect balance. You won't taste a better fruit beer concoction. I think this one was better than New Glarus.

But I loved the hell out of that Orange Miata which was a beer and was an IPA. The Veil has some genius beer crafters.

I might have to pair this beer with that pie I'm going to win from Nrrrrvous
    (or he might enjoy pairing it with the pie he wins from me)
    Better than New Glarus? Looks like I’m heading up to Veil next week to try a couple beers!
    I’ve had three New Glarus and I’m trying to figure out when I can move the family to Wisconsin!

Oh and I’m glad you mentioned the pecan pie in the other thread. I didn’t know there was another page of pies! Lots of choices for you to send me after the election! 😁😮😉

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Better than New Glarus? Looks like I’m heading up to Veil next week to try a couple beers!
    I’ve had three New Glarus and I’m trying to figure out when I can move the family to Wisconsin!

Oh and I’m glad you mentioned the pecan pie in the other thread. I didn’t know there was another page of pies! Lots of choices for you to send me after the election! ������
    Perfect time for you to try a BBA imperial stout with a bourbon pecan chocolate pie. And I have just the right beer to convert you - that Incendiary Dragon with Matches is fire. It's technically a BBA Quad, but it will do pending devildeac pairing approval.

It's a fascinating pie bet. Everybody on DBR knows that DBR was due for a pie bet on that thread. If I ship a pie, couldn't go to a better dude.

You might just have to make more pie bets so you can try the Apple, Wayne Hill Cherry Ganache, Bourbon Chocolate Pecan, and mattman swears by the Apple-Blueberry-Cherry.

Perfect time for you to try a BBA imperial stout with a bourbon pecan chocolate pie. And I have just the right beer to convert you - that Incendiary Dragon with Matches is fire. It's technically a BBA Quad, but it will do pending devildeac pairing approval.

It's a fascinating pie bet. Everybody on DBR knows that DBR was due for a pie bet on that thread. If I ship a pie, couldn't go to a better dude.

You might just have to make more pie bets so you can try the Apple, Wayne Hill Cherry Ganache, Bourbon Chocolate Pecan, and mattman swears by the Apple-Blueberry-Cherry.
    I actually have two pie bets on the election so far! Way back in April I bet Jason That Trump would win Utah by at least 7 points. Still looking good on that one!
    Pie is good.

I could certainly do the quad. Probably pass on the stout. 🥴

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post

Oh and I’m glad you mentioned the pecan pie in the other thread. I didn’t know there was another page of pies! Lots of choices for you to send me after the election! 😁😮😉
    I'm working on it, too. (the beer, not the move )

Sushi at our favorite place in Charlotte (Cowfish) and I had a fantastic Jam Session with my sashimi.
    An underrated NoDa beer. I imagine it went grear with sashimi.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    An underrated NoDa beer. I imagine it went grear with sashimi.
    Oh so good. Even if a young me would be mortified I was eating sashimi.

I've had very few OMB beers and, to be honest, a precious few from the other breweries I mentioned, too. Fuse may have posted an article/link last week about a huge no-no from OMB (IIRC) who hosted a large Oktoberfest gathering earlier this month with minimal mask wearing and grossly improper social distancing.
    OMB’s best comparison / competition is Red Oak.

While I would give the nod to Red Oak in general, in spite of the idiocy of hosting an Octoberfest, OMB’s Mecktoberfest _may_ be better than Clawhammer. It’s been years so not sure the memory is still valid, or accurate.

When I was traveling to Charlotte regularly a few years ago, NoDa was the cream of the crop, and Birdsong and Triple C were emerging, as was OMB. Sycamore, Lenny Boy, Wooden Robot, Divine Barrel, and some of the newer breweries (trying to recall if Unknown is also Charlotte) didn’t exist at the time.

I recall coming home from Charlotte with four packs of Hop Drop N Roll, Jam Session, CaVu, and maybe Coco Loco feeling like I had really scored.

https://blackberryfarmbrewery.com/beer

Any of you guys aware of this place in Tennessee? Their saison is a top 5 beer all time for me.