Page 1631 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 631113115311581162116291630163116321633164116811731 ... LastLast
Results 32,601 to 32,620 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Fine Creek - Wine Barrel Aged Golden Sour

This Golden Sour was fermented in our open top fermenter for two months before being transferred to Francis Coppola Diamond Claret wine barrels for a 10 month maturation. The barrels layered this beer with notes of mixed berries, red wine, oaky tannins, and vanilla. Meanwhile our golden sour culture brought a bright acidity and flavors of lemon and fresh pineapple, creating a beer that combines deeper wine barrel tones with a refreshing tart palate and a dry and tannic finish.

5.5%

From a corked 500ml bottle from the brewery.

This beer has won multiple medals at Virginia competitions and I think I read somewhere that it won a silver at a National Comp. Can't find it right now. Will have to search some more.

Pours a beautiful gold, of course, with very fine carbonation that lingered for a while.

Opened and started with some Brie and grapes. Delightful. Can definitely taste the Claret barrels. Tart, sweet, smooth. Nothing "beer" about this beer.

I would give it a good 3, not New Glarus level but up there. Would definitely recommend if you like sours, which I do.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by beergoddess View Post
    Yummy bourbony chocolaty bourbon. That's about as far as my taste buds got.
    I've had a few beer like this that I've described as chocolate bourbon balls or bourbon chocolate fudge. I'm looking forward to this one even more now.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Fine Creek - Wine Barrel Aged Golden Sour

This Golden Sour was fermented in our open top fermenter for two months before being transferred to Francis Coppola Diamond Claret wine barrels for a 10 month maturation. The barrels layered this beer with notes of mixed berries, red wine, oaky tannins, and vanilla. Meanwhile our golden sour culture brought a bright acidity and flavors of lemon and fresh pineapple, creating a beer that combines deeper wine barrel tones with a refreshing tart palate and a dry and tannic finish.

5.5%

From a corked 500ml bottle from the brewery.

This beer has won multiple medals at Virginia competitions and I think I read somewhere that it won a silver at a National Comp. Can't find it right now. Will have to search some more.

Pours a beautiful gold, of course, with very fine carbonation that lingered for a while.

Opened and started with some Brie and grapes. Delightful. Can definitely taste the Claret barrels. Tart, sweet, smooth. Nothing "beer" about this beer.

I would give it a good 3, not New Glarus level but up there. Would definitely recommend if you like sours, which I do.
    Is this the same brew you included in our recent trading session, with one for fuse and one for me? It sounds like it but there is precious little info on the label. This sounds wonderful.

This one might be interesting to sip:

beer-1298295_bebab_sm.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Is this the same brew you included in our recent trading session, with one for fuse and one for me? It sounds like it but there is precious little info on the label. This sounds wonderful.
    Yes, I had 4 of them. Sent one to RJ, kept one, and you and fuse got the others. I know not everyone is into sours as much as I am but thought this one was worth trying.

They also make a variation with pear and persimmon that I may pick up some time. I love this brewery, BTW, way out in Powhatan. Log cabin-esque feel, sitting out on the porch. They grow some of their ingredients right there. Nice folks. I like supporting them.

I also picked up a 4-pack of their Citrus Honey Saison which I think I shared with everyone. I haven't tried it yet. Should be good.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Anticipating good reports and no fertilizer material.
    Didn't get around to it yesterday. Maybe today. If not, definitely this week.

Inventoried this morning.
    Twenty seven unique and mostly new to me beers! 👀

Still not sure I know where to start.
    First world problems. 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Yes, I had 4 of them. Sent one to RJ, kept one, and you and fuse got the others. I know not everyone is into sours as much as I am but thought this one was worth trying.

They also make a variation with pear and persimmon that I may pick up some time. I love this brewery, BTW, way out in Powhatan. Log cabin-esque feel, sitting out on the porch. They grow some of their ingredients right there. Nice folks. I like supporting them.

I also picked up a 4-pack of their Citrus Honey Saison which I think I shared with everyone. I haven't tried it yet. Should be good.
    Sours? Yes, please!!

I believe I spotted the Citrus Honey Saison in the "collection" last PM when I perused the beer buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Inventoried this morning.
    Twenty seven unique and mostly new to me beers! 👀

Still not sure I know where to start.
    First world problems. 🍻
    Yea, we got a great assortment from accfan and Nrrrrvous.

What'd you think about that mango milkshake IIPA?

Yea, we got a great assortment from accfan and Nrrrrvous.

What'd you think about that mango milkshake IIPA?
    From memory, no notes.

Pretty rich, dense head into a snifter.

Poured a clear gold.

Nose was definitely mango, with a bit of floral and pine notes.

First sip was smooth, a fair bit of luscious mango with a mildly bitter finish.

Not sure I picked up any vanilla, and whatever level of lactose was added gave a smooth, rich mouthfeel.

9% ABV, and didn’t drink like it.

Glad to have tried it.

Sounds like the one RJ kept for himself was spoiled if there was brett/funk notes. This beer was pretty clean.

Best part of the experience was the company.
    Beer is always better with friends.

Thanks RJ, and thanks devildeac!
    Skol! 🍻

From memory, no notes.

Poured a clear gold.

Not sure I picked up any vanilla, and whatever level of lactose was added gave a smooth, rich mouthfeel.

Glad to have tried it.

Sounds like the one RJ kept for himself was spoiled if there was brett/funk notes. This beer was pretty clean.

Skol! ��
    That is pretty funny. The description sent by the beer club mentioned nothing of the brett/funk sour notes I definitely got. Mine probably was spoiled somehow from the shipping. But these flavors worked strangely. It was a weird beer but not bad and the mango in mine tasted fresh. I was curious to see what y'all thought. I enjoyed mine but wasn't sure what to make of it.

The other sour beer included in the shipment was not good. It wasn't bad, but it just tasted like a very ordinary sour, like wicked weed but worse, with literally nothing else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    That is pretty funny. The description sent by the beer club mentioned nothing of the brett/funk sour notes I definitely got. Mine probably was spoiled somehow from the shipping. But these flavors worked strangely. It was a weird beer but not bad and the mango in mine tasted fresh. I was curious to see what y'all thought. I enjoyed mine but wasn't sure what to make of it.

The other sour beer included in the shipment was not good. It wasn't bad, but it just tasted like a very ordinary sour, like wicked weed but worse, with literally nothing else going on.
    Oooh, a large amount of shade cast there. (I chuckled at your comment, so I'm not poking fun at you.)

From memory, no notes.

Poured a clear gold.

Glad to have tried it.

Skol! 🍻
    My pleasure to share.

This is indeed the best part.

These monks produce quite a variety:

6458fdd227b1394e72e3755040669ae9_640x640.jpg

Not sure how this is different than the Trappist IPA I mentioned yesterday:

a759d8ce27bdeb9988e4e03d0910c7f3_640x640.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good gracious!

c2f59a00afc4138461e6edf85b582088_640x640.jpg

Monks and puns. Shameless. Oh, wait...

First RVA beer from this weekend's trading session:

Satan's Pony-South Street Brewery

Local? It was for the purchasing/delivery agent

Credit-Nrrrrvous; thanks!!
    Style-amber ale
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Enjoy by-01/11/21
    Stemware-pint glass
    Appearance-dark amber; modest, foamy topping
    Nose-fresh dark wheat bread
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-liquid wheat bread, caramel, earthy hops
    IBU-12 (low, even for an amber)
    ABV-5.3%
    Overall impression-a notch above Fat Tire (meant as a compliment as I like Fat Tire); would pair well with BBQ, ribs, burgers and deli sammiches
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid/upper cat 2; nothing special but a very solid, nicely brewed ale which paired nicely tonight with a fried chicken/mixed greens salad
    Beautiful clear brown pour.
    Transient head.

My nose is shot (thanks allergies), I get a lot ot caramel and wheat bread in the nose.

The Fat Tire is an interesting comparison, missing the sharp twang I associate with Fat Tire.

Going in the way back machine, evokes memories of Carolina Brewery’s Amber.
    Malt focused, with just enough hops to keep Satan’s Pony from being unbalanced.

Really just works- an enjoyable sipping beer for any occasion.

Since I didn’t get an exact mapping, I’ll give a thanks to Nrrvous specifically, and again to the Compass Rose Crew!

Skol! 🍻

Beautiful clear brown pour.
    Transient head.

My nose is shot (thanks allergies), I get a lot ot caramel and wheat bread in the nose.

The Fat Tire is an interesting comparison, missing the sharp twang I associate with Fat Tire.

Going in the way back machine, evokes memories of Carolina Brewery’s Amber.
    Malt focused, with just enough hops to keep Satan’s Pony from being unbalanced.

Really just works- an enjoyable sipping beer for any occasion.

Since I didn’t get an exact mapping, I’ll give a thanks to Nrrvous specifically, and again to the Compass Rose Crew!

Skol! 🍻
    Yea, the middle man really needed to do a better job remembering which RVA beer mule provided which goodie. This was indeed a Nrrrrvous delivery.

Getting near the end of the list for US Trappist beers from Spencer:

beer-2933889_23704_sm.jpeg

I've gotta say, they brew quite a variety of beverages in addition to making jams/jellies to support themselves and the monastery.

Whoever (and I think it was several of you) recommended Backwoods Bastard from Founders - Thank you!

Beautiful and delicious. Just what I needed after an entire afternoon spent underneath a bathroom sink! (Started with just replacing the ancient faucet, went downhill from there) But it's done and I'm done and this Backwoods Bastard is about to be done!