Page 1571 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5711071147115211561156915701571157215731581162116712071 ... LastLast
Results 31,401 to 31,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Attachment 11471

Next SDDB tasting . . . .

Hitachino Nest — Red Rice Ale
    Orkney Brewery - Skull Splitter
    Possmann - Pure Cider
    Samuel Smith - India Ale
    And this has exactly what to do with the 2020 Presidential election?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And this has exactly what to do with the 2020 Presidential election?
    If you ain’t drinking, you ain’t thinking.

If you ain’t drinking, you ain’t thinking.
    The Ymm Beer thread makes me less partisan. Imagine how many infractions I would have accumulated in the Prez thread if not for this one ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Attachment 11471

Possmann - Pure Cider
    Samuel Smith - India Ale
    Some of them look to have serious potential. Looking forward to hearing your favorites.

Very thankful to have beer to get through the this dreadful election season. Biden my time drinking, which trumps thinking until it's all in the rearview.

Narwhal (Barrel-Aged) - Sierra Nevada - 11.9% (you know, just 1 beer) - Russian Imperial Stout

Pours like black motor oil. Lots of espresso and some bitter chocolate on the nose.

They absolutely nailed the balance in this beer of lots of bold flavors that don't seem easy to balance. Like that Foothills BBA People's porter I had last night actually had too much BBA flavor that overpowered the others. I like regular people's porter much better.

Not the case with this beer. They get the bourbon barrel flavor just right. It's subtle though due to so many other flavors competing for attention. Bourbon first and just a little boozy. Then it's like a chocolate vanilla milkshake flavor. Espresso and chocolate, toasty bitterness is counterbalanced nicely with a sweet malt throughout. The coconut is faint, and I got a little more of that after I let it warm longer. Full but very smooth body. Low carbonation lets you appreciate all the flavors.

The beer was so smooth it tastes like it was aged.

Low Cat 3, only because this is The toughest field. But it's outstanding. Thanks Devildeac!! Sierra Nevada makes great beer, but this was even better than I would expect from them.

beergoddess excitedly told me what a Narwhal is. I had no clue, but it's an amazing creature and even better beer to close the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Wow. That is an incredible story. I've never had a cigar playing poker. I always wanted to after seeing Rounders, but the poker games I used to frequent would be at someone's house. I figured pulling out a bunch of cigars would be the best way to anger a Mrs. and never get invited back.

I don't blame you. Cigars are carcinogenic so that is one reason I limit myself to not very many. Other things are probably carcinogenic too - like burgers from a cookout or hot dogs. But in moderation, I try to live life a little when I get the chance. One of the coolest things about the folks on this thread is that many recommend the best way to enjoy the finest of these products. World class beer, World class wine, world class bourbon, world class travel, the best movies, and even the most enjoyable way to cut or light an occasional cigar. Life is short and luck is unpredictable.

I bet you don't regret a single memory like that one! General Schwarzkopf hitting on your fiance and giving you cigars!

I love the Homestead btw. Such a cool place to visit near Christmas
    Funny, my daughter found this picture this morning. We were just discussing this a few weeks ago...

StorminNorman.jpg
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Thanks! My shopping list is complete.
    You're welcome! I'm here to serve, whether it be reviews, lists, discussion/discourse/dialogue, pour the beer or attend SDDB sessions and/or Virtual Pubs.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Your wish is my command, or, as I replied to RJ199, I'm here to serve. From 11/19/17:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ruse-Hardywood Craft Brewery

Another absolute gem of a beer, courtesy of accfansince1970 from tailgate. Thank you!

Best I can tell, it's from their "Pilot Batch" program of one-off brewings.

Labeled as an imperial milk stout aged in red wine barrels, it does indeed have many of the characteristics you'd expect with that moniker. Pour was black with a small tan head and nose was dark chocolate, molasses and red wine. Tastes were amazing and consisted of semi-sweet chocolate (the lactose-added part, making it a milk stout), a drop of coffee, dark, dried fruits, black strap molasses, booze (the imperial part) and a dry, port-like finish. Flavors enhanced as expected over the 15-20 minute sipping. We shared this 750 ml bottle among 4-5 people and all were highly pleased. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 50ish based on the style (heavily roasted grains) and the ABV was 11.3%. I could have nibbled an espresso fudge cup with this but was delighted to avoid the extra calories () and make it the finishing/dessert beer before heading into the game. No one else wanted any other high octane brews either after the 3 we just sampled.
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Can’t search it, Hope Devildeac can. My very first tailgate offering years ago - yes local, Hardywood.

RUSE 11.3%ABV Imperial Milk Stout

“Patiently aged in red wine barrels, Hardywood Ruse unites port-like qualities with distinct dark chocolate and molasses characteristics, while oak and leather dominate the aromatics. Ruse offers a rich mouthfeel with a deceptively dry, tannic finish.”

Still a high cat 3 beer. Oak and chocolate up front, red wine or port finish with hint of molasses. Rich, smooth, deep. 750 ml gone, only took me three hours of sipping and enjoying.

Attachment 11471

Possmann - Pure Cider
    Samuel Smith - India Ale
    Looks wonderful-excellent choices.

1. I've had one Hitachino Nest brew but not that one
    2. Memory says that's excellent
    3. Rarely drink a cider (my loss)
    4. A classic

Doom Tree - Fonta Flora - 5.2 % - Kolsch lagerbier with local elderflower and fresh lemon zest

This beer was extremely good and refreshing, as good as you will find for this style. beergoddess even liked it, and she hates beer that tastes like beer.

Extremely floral. Bready, and the elderflower flavor is subtle. Clean finish and incredibly easy to drink.

From Untappd (who rates this beer way too low) - "Mashed with a thoughtful blend of local barley and local wheat malt. Steeped on heaps of locally foraged elderflowers. Fermented cool with our preferred house lager yeast strain. Conditioned cold for many weeks until crisp and crushable. Aged additionally on fresh, hand zested lemons. Inspired by St. Germain Liqueur and crushable summertime lagerbiers,"

The lemon zest is actually the star of the show. Refreshing mouthfeel.

It's too good to be anything but Cat 3. Low cat 3, and worth buying.

Narwhal (Barrel-Aged) - Sierra Nevada - 11.9% (you know, just 1 beer) - Russian Imperial Stout

Pours like black motor oil. Lots of espresso and some bitter chocolate on the nose.

They absolutely nailed the balance in this beer of lots of bold flavors that don't seem easy to balance. Like that Foothills BBA People's porter I had last night actually had too much BBA flavor that overpowered the others. I like regular people's porter much better.

Not the case with this beer. They get the bourbon barrel flavor just right. It's subtle though due to so many other flavors competing for attention. Bourbon first and just a little boozy. Then it's like a chocolate vanilla milkshake flavor. Espresso and chocolate, toasty bitterness is counterbalanced nicely with a sweet malt throughout. The coconut is faint, and I got a little more of that after I let it warm longer. Full but very smooth body. Low carbonation lets you appreciate all the flavors.

The beer was so smooth it tastes like it was aged.

Low Cat 3, only because this is The toughest field. But it's outstanding. Thanks Devildeac!! Sierra Nevada makes great beer, but this was even better than I would expect from them.

beergoddess excitedly told me what a Narwhal is. I had no clue, but it's an amazing creature and even better beer to close the weekend.
    When I mentioned this beer Friday night as I was sipping it, I think I included a reference and a photo of a Narwhal. You know, education and discussion.

RJ199 was kind/generous enough to bring me Joy as a trader on Labor Day and I thoroughly enjoyed her, ummm, this lager with dinner last PM but am too tired to review tonight after a trip back from the NC coast this evening. Thanks!! I can't seem to copy a photo here so here's the link:

https://untappd.com/b/brewery-bhavan...3828971/photos

When I mentioned this beer Friday night as I was sipping it, I think I included a reference and a photo of a Narwhal. You know, education and discussion.
    I'm sure you did. Beergoddess never looks at DBR unless she's humoring me. I said Narwhal and she got excited and described the fish. I had never heard of it. The impressive Narwhal would be proud of the beer carrying its name.

Speaking of which, I hope that Bhavana Joy was the best beer ever. Clearly others never look at DBR either so your last post should be safe

I'm sure you did. Beergoddess never looks at DBR unless she's humoring me. I said Narwhal and she got excited and described the fish. I had never heard of it. The impressive Narwhal would be proud of the beer carrying its name.

Speaking of which, I hope that Bhavana Joy was the best beer ever. Clearly others never look at DBR either so your last post should be safe
    It was indeed very good and guessing that post will be safe with you, fuse, WMB, accfan and probably hundreds of others .

Torch-Foothills Brewing Company

Local again!

Credit-somebody left one in the fridge...

Short review here as everyone in NC should know this beer as it's a standard of this brewery and a very good representative of the Bohemian pilsner style with its appearance, aromas, mouthfeel and tastes, especially with the Euro Saaz hops, IBU of 35 and ABV of 5.3%. Never turn down a can/draft of this beer.

It was indeed very good and guessing that post will be safe with you, fuse, WMB, accfan and probably hundreds of others .
    nahh they have more views

From the weekend - sort of local, Ashburn VA. Old Ox Brewery.

Down the Hatch.

Impulse purchase at Wegman’s. Amber lager with hatch chile peppers. 6% abv. Pours gold, smell of bread and chile. The amber is light, the pepper in the finish. A bit of sweet and spicy. I still have fond memories of the GBS Caliente, this is not in that category. Not bad if you like the spicy kick, cat 2.

A narwhal is a whale.
    Everybody knows that! (Movie quotes for $1000)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    A narwhal is a whale.
    Everybody knows that! (Movie quotes for $1000)
    That's not what your mother said, Trebek.

That's not what your mother said, Trebek.
    😳👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀😱