Page 156 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 561061461541551561571581662062566561156 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And one from March, 2011, too:

So Fresh and So Green, Green (bottle)-Terrapin Brewing

This is another of the fresh/wet hop ales that have become popular/trendy in the last couple years, and rightfully so. Fresh or "wet" hops are used in the brewing process. Not dried hops or hop pellets. Please feel free to correct this, CB&B. In this brew, they flew in hundreds of pounds of Amarillo hops from the Yakima Valley (I'm looking at you, Bob Green.) to their brewery in Athens, Georgia, and used these almost-just-off-the-vine fresh hops for the aroma and bittering aspects of the brew. What it results in is a little fresher brew with a a bit more resin/pine with this particular variety and a lightly "oily" mouth feel. The IBU are listed at 50+ (kinda strange there but I would not disagree with that) so this resembles a pale ale more than an IPA. The ABV was 6.6% so I was able to enjoy half of this bomber with a small portion of the DFH 120 Minute IPA also. The pour was light golden, head modest and there was also a bit of a floral aroma with a very light caramel malt sweetness to the body. I prefer the Sierra Nevada and Great Divide products a bit more but this is certainly worth a taste at about $7 for the bomber.
    Loved this beer! Wish I had bought more, but enjoyed the bottle I had.

Oooh, and one from 1/2011, too. A collaboration:

Oxymoron-Left Hand/Terrapin Brewing

A collaboration (not litigation ) brew. Just a bit unusual, but not unexpected, especially when the Terrapin Brewing folks are involved. 6 hop varieties and 3 malts and a lager yeast. WTH? Makes for an interesting final product with an orange-yellow color, a mildly foamy head, flowers on the nose and pine and a hint of citrus on the palate. I sipped about 7 ounces of this the last 3 nights with other brews reviewed the last 3 days, too, and, with a wine stopper, it was OK, even the 3rd night. IBU are 65 and the ABV is 7.2% and they call it an American IPA, which I think, is a fairly apt description. Certainly worth a bomber to share/trade or sip on yourself with some seafood paella like I had tonight or curry. CB&B also has one of these so let's see if he samples his this weekend and shares his thoughts.
    Memory fuzzy but "meh" is what comes to mind when I try to remember this beer. I had huh hopes but remember it being disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Had one or two dark / black saisons but not the Terrapin. I avoid most beers with rye, though.
    I don't seek them out but enjoy one every once in a while.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

OK, I lied. I found a couple or three more Terrapin brews:

The Dark Side-Terrapin Brewing Company-Another fascinating offering from these very creative folks. A Belgian imperial stout. Has lots of what you expect with an almost black pour, modest tan head and moderate IBU. I'd guess 60-70 here. What makes this interesting is the use of Belgian yeast which gives it a slightly sour taste and some Belgian golden ale fruitiness. There are fairly prominent notes of licorice and espresso with dark chocolate playing a large role, too. I had 1/2 a bomber at cellar temperature out of a wide mouth glass last PM and savored every sip at 8.5% ABV. Nice for dessert or with a dessert of CCC, a chunk of chocolate pound cake or sliver of flourless chocolate torte. Looking forward to tonight's treat.

OK, I lied. I found a couple or three more Terrapin brews:

The Dark Side-Terrapin Brewing Company-Another fascinating offering from these very creative folks. A Belgian imperial stout. Has lots of what you expect with an almost black pour, modest tan head and moderate IBU. I'd guess 60-70 here. What makes this interesting is the use of Belgian yeast which gives it a slightly sour taste and some Belgian golden ale fruitiness. There are fairly prominent notes of licorice and espresso with dark chocolate playing a large role, too. I had 1/2 a bomber at cellar temperature out of a wide mouth glass last PM and savored every sip at 8.5% ABV. Nice for dessert or with a dessert of CCC, a chunk of chocolate pound cake or sliver of flourless chocolate torte. Looking forward to tonight's treat.

Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout-Terrapin Brewing-I need a splash of cream, a teaspoon of sugar and a cinnamon danish and my evening would be complete. Dark brown pour with a small, medium tan-hued head. Mrs. DD thought licorice and I thought Starbucks when we sniffed it. (It's really Jittery Joe's according to the label). Moderate bitterness with an estimated IBU of 50-60 and tons o' chocolate and black malts, further smoothed out with the oatmeal added. This is a trader from CB&B and would be a good candidate for a float, too. I just hope I have a restful sleep from the beverage and not a series of nightmares from the coffee and orange-flavored chocolate squares I enjoyed with it . Oh, and the ABV is 8.1%, a bit low for an imperial stout but perhaps it was sobered up a bit with all the coffee in the brew .

Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout-Terrapin Brewing-I need a splash of cream, a teaspoon of sugar and a cinnamon danish and my evening would be complete. Dark brown pour with a small, medium tan-hued head. Mrs. DD thought licorice and I thought Starbucks when we sniffed it. (It's really Jittery Joe's according to the label). Moderate bitterness with an estimated IBU of 50-60 and tons o' chocolate and black malts, further smoothed out with the oatmeal added. This is a trader from CB&B and would be a good candidate for a float, too. I just hope I have a restful sleep from the beverage and not a series of nightmares from the coffee and orange-flavored chocolate squares I enjoyed with it . Oh, and the ABV is 8.1%, a bit low for an imperial stout but perhaps it was sobered up a bit with all the coffee in the brew .
    From 1/2010:

Hopsecutioner-Terrapin Brewing-cannabis with a few spruce twigs mixed in . This is a new brew to me and hadn't noticed it on their site before. It is an IPA that pours a slightly golden-yellow with a small head with an estimated IBU of about 70 and the ABV is 7.3% so I'd call it fairly well-balanced with the malts. Not a tongue-torcher but with enough zip to pair nicely with some mildly spicy dishes. There will be one of these for CB&B and one of the reps who calls on me. Want me to save one for you, bluebear?

From 1/2010:

Hopsecutioner-Terrapin Brewing-cannabis with a few spruce twigs mixed in . This is a new brew to me and hadn't noticed it on their site before. It is an IPA that pours a slightly golden-yellow with a small head with an estimated IBU of about 70 and the ABV is 7.3% so I'd call it fairly well-balanced with the malts. Not a tongue-torcher but with enough zip to pair nicely with some mildly spicy dishes. There will be one of these for CB&B and one of the reps who calls on me. Want me to save one for you, bluebear?
    Both Hopsecutioner and Coffee Oatmeal Stout are excellent. If you liked the Coffee Oatmeal Stout, you should try Terrapin "Moo Hoo"- its quite tasty.

Both Hopsecutioner and Coffee Oatmeal Stout are excellent. If you liked the Coffee Oatmeal Stout, you should try Terrapin "Moo Hoo"- its quite tasty.
    I believe CB&B traded me one of these last year but can't find my review of it. Guess I'll have to procure another. I do remember it vaguely. Is it a chocolate milk stout?

OK, I found two more:

Terrapin Brewing Company-Big Hoppy Monster-Imperial Red Ale-Think Killians's on 'roids for this one. Massively hopped and almost as massively malted. After sipping on this 12 ouncer for almost an hour and the more I think about it, this really closely resmbles a barleywine. It is a reddish-brown in color with a modest head and tastes piney and caramel-y throughout. The IBU must be 70-80 or higher but the ABV is a bit low for a barleywine at 8.3%. There is nothing shy or gentle about this beverage. I'd nurse this one through a gamey or spicy meal but not sure I'd have it as a dessert or after-dinner drink. About $9 or $10 for the 4 pack.

From 11/8/09:

Gamma Ray-Terrapin Brewing Company, Athens, Georgia-This is a member of their monster beer tour and is a wheat wine, a variation of a barleywine that I had never heard of/tried before. Three malts, two hop varieties, two different types/style of honey, an IBU of 40 and an ABV of 10.8%. Yellow-golden in color, clear and with a very small head despite a vigorous pour. This reminds me of a mead with its sweetness and smoothness from the honey but there is no grape juice/wine in this brew. There is a hint of citrus from the wheat malt and some lemon grass taste and aroma. The esters smell/taste a bit like banana, cloves, apple and pear. Not brutal at all like many barleywines. This is sneaky/seductive with its ABV as it is very easy drinking. I'd like this in a goblet for dessert or with a fresh fruit plate with apples and pears, or a fruit salad, for dessert. I think CB&B got a bottle of this as a trader and I would love to read his thoughts. I think I have 1 left and will cellar this for a year. I hope .

I believe CB&B traded me one of these last year but can't find my review of it. Guess I'll have to procure another. I do remember it vaguely. Is it a chocolate milk stout?
    Yes, dessert in a glass.
    Big Hoppy Monster I liked, Gamma Ray "wheat wine" was a bit much for me (iirc). Low carbonation, sweet and boozy- not a bad beer by any means but best shared instead of going solo.

Aviator

My impressions of Aviator are of a brewery I want to like, but falls short relative to other local Triangle area breweries.

We found ourselves in Fuquay today, so we stopped by the Aviator smokehouse for a late lunch.
    On a food note, if you like smoky food, this is a good bite in the Chili's kind of price range. The onion rings were spectacular, and the wings were overwhelmingly smoky (in a good way, very tasty).
    Another cool note- this is the first restaurant I have ever been to that allows you to substitute a beer for a side dish- a great original idea.

On to the beers. I had a paddle of four and my wife had a pint of the Mad Beach American Wheat.
    The Mad Beach was the best of the bunch and it was not even close- very sessionable at 4.8% and with a tropical fruitiness and fresh taste that makes a perfect summer beer.
    We both agreed it was the best of the bunch.

I sampled the Hot Rod Red, the Steamhead California Common (think Anchor Steam), Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel, and OctoberBeast. Interesting enough in a small pour, all but the Devil's Tramping Ground looked identical- a clear amber, although the Steamhead had a decent head, the rest did not.

The Hot Rod Red is Aviator's signature beer, and reminds me a Bit of how Killian's used to taste when it was an ale and not a lager( I'm not even sure Killian's is made anymore, shame). This is tasty and a pretty good beer.

The Steamhead was also good, but frankly tasted like the Hot Rod Red with a different hop profile. This won gold at some brewing competition in 2011 according to the chalkboard in the bar. Decent but I would choose Anchor Steam ten times out of ten - maybe not a fair comparison but nonetheless.

I've had OctoberBeast a few times, and it is fairly strong, over 7%. This is a decent strong Marzen/ Octoberfest style beer.

Devil's Tramping Ground is a Belgian style Tripel- at 9% this was tasty but I was glad it was a small pour. Again, a good effort but Triangle, Mother Earth and Big Boss all make better Belgian style ales.

I want to like Aviator, I really do. It surprises me that they are in business given the quality of the competition. This is not to say that Aviator makes bad beer, just that there are better local options.
    I'd put them in the same class as a Natty Greene's - worth trying but not worth going out of your way for. You can do much worse, but you can also do much better.

Your Guide to Cool Breweries in NC-There's No Place Like Foam:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/...ylink=misearch

My impressions of Aviator are of a brewery I want to like, but falls short relative to other local Triangle area breweries.

We found ourselves in Fuquay today, so we stopped by the Aviator smokehouse for a late lunch.
    On a food note, if you like smoky food, this is a good bite in the Chili's kind of price range. The onion rings were spectacular, and the wings were overwhelmingly smoky (in a good way, very tasty).
    Another cool note- this is the first restaurant I have ever been to that allows you to substitute a beer for a side dish- a great original idea.

On to the beers. I had a paddle of four and my wife had a pint of the Mad Beach American Wheat.
    The Mad Beach was the best of the bunch and it was not even close- very sessionable at 4.8% and with a tropical fruitiness and fresh taste that makes a perfect summer beer.
    We both agreed it was the best of the bunch.

I sampled the Hot Rod Red, the Steamhead California Common (think Anchor Steam), Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel, and OctoberBeast. Interesting enough in a small pour, all but the Devil's Tramping Ground looked identical- a clear amber, although the Steamhead had a decent head, the rest did not.

The Hot Rod Red is Aviator's signature beer, and reminds me a Bit of how Killian's used to taste when it was an ale and not a lager( I'm not even sure Killian's is made anymore, shame). This is tasty and a pretty good beer.

The Steamhead was also good, but frankly tasted like the Hot Rod Red with a different hop profile. This won gold at some brewing competition in 2011 according to the chalkboard in the bar. Decent but I would choose Anchor Steam ten times out of ten - maybe not a fair comparison but nonetheless.

I've had OctoberBeast a few times, and it is fairly strong, over 7%. This is a decent strong Marzen/ Octoberfest style beer.

Devil's Tramping Ground is a Belgian style Tripel- at 9% this was tasty but I was glad it was a small pour. Again, a good effort but Triangle, Mother Earth and Big Boss all make better Belgian style ales.

I want to like Aviator, I really do. It surprises me that they are in business given the quality of the competition. This is not to say that Aviator makes bad beer, just that there are better local options.
    I'd put them in the same class as a Natty Greene's - worth trying but not worth going out of your way for. You can do much worse, but you can also do much better.
    Just picked up a bomber of Devil's Tramping Ground yesterday at Whole Foods for $5.49, IIRC. I have tasted it before on draft at the Mellow Mushroom in Derm pre-theater a couple years ago. That will be my Tuesday/Wednesday beer as I have a bomber of Brett Beer I need to finish tonight. My recollection is probably similar to yours-good but not great, but I like supporting the local folks, too.

Best brewery name. Ever.

object169.jpg

brew_13421.jpg

Just picked up a bomber of Devil's Tramping Ground yesterday at Whole Foods for $5.49, IIRC. I have tasted it before on draft at the Mellow Mushroom in Derm pre-theater a couple years ago. That will be my Tuesday/Wednesday beer as I have a bomber of Brett Beer I need to finish tonight. My recollection is probably similar to yours-good but not great, but I like supporting the local folks, too.
    I've never seen Aviator in bottles or cans. A few places carry Aviator growlers.

Best brewery name. Ever.

object169.jpg

brew_13421.jpg
    I saw that in the article you referenced. I read it in the N&O this morning, and was kind of surprised.
    Name your brewery whatever you want (I agree, it is funny) but no way, no how if you ask me what I am drinking am I going to respond "an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. clown."

Best brewery name. Ever.

object169.jpg

brew_13421.jpg
    I'd provide a link to prove this to be legitimate but the %$#@ filter/s won't allow the link. It's in the N&O article I linked above.

Best brewery name. Ever.

object169.jpg

brew_13421.jpg
    If I ever went to this brewery, I'd almost feel like I was at Baskin Robbins with all their flavors:

• Coffee Tequila Oatmeal Stout (S)

• Chocolate Blueberry Anise Stout (R)

• Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout (R)

• Imperial Stout (R)

• Irish Stout (R)

• Raspberry Vanilla Stout (R)

• Bourbon Oaked Porter (S)

• Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Porter (S)

• I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Clown Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Ancho Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Blueberry Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Cherry POrter (R)

• Raspberry Cinnamon Sour (R)

• Spicy Blueberry (R)

• Amber (R)

• Apricot Seed Pale (R)

• Bourbon Old (S)

• Brown (R)

• Buttered Apple Pie Amber (S)

• Chocolate Pumpkin Brown (S)

• Hazelnut Nut Brown (S)

• Imperial Pale (R)

• India Brown (R)

• Orange Honey Pale (R)

• Peach Fig Pale (R)

• Poplar Brown (R)

• Smoked Bacon Maple Black (R)

• Smoked Scotch (S)

• Smoked Maple Syrup Black (S)

• Vanilla Bean Chocolate Brown (YR)

• Black IPA (R)

• Black Orange Citrus IPA (R)

• Black Lemon Spiced IPA (NEW)

• Burley Peach Black IPA (R)

• Double Cheek IPA (R)

• Hemp “High On Hops” IPA (NEW)

• Oaked IPA (R)

• Orange Mint IPA (S)

• Orange Spiced IPA (YR)

• Orange Spiced Hemp IPA (NEW)

• Pineapple IPA (S)

• Pumpkin IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Chinook IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Citra IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Simcoe IPA (S)

• Rye Weck IPA (S)

• Black IPA (R)

• Double Cheek IPA (R)

• Oaked IPA (R)

• Orange Mint IPA (S)

• Orange Spiced IPA (YR)

• Pineapple IPA (S)

• Pumpkin IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Citra IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Simcoe IPA (S)

• Rye Weck IPA (S)

• Honey Spruce Paradise Black Lager (S)

• Black Lemon Wheat IPA (NEW)

• Lemon Spiced Wheat IPA (R)

If I ever went to this brewery, I'd almost feel like I was at Baskin Robbins with all their flavors:

• Coffee Tequila Oatmeal Stout (S)

• Chocolate Blueberry Anise Stout (R)

• Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout (R)

• Imperial Stout (R)

• Irish Stout (R)

• Raspberry Vanilla Stout (R)

• Bourbon Oaked Porter (S)

• Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Porter (S)

• I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Clown Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Ancho Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Blueberry Porter (R)

• Dark Chocolate Cherry POrter (R)

• Raspberry Cinnamon Sour (R)

• Spicy Blueberry (R)

• Amber (R)

• Apricot Seed Pale (R)

• Bourbon Old (S)

• Brown (R)

• Buttered Apple Pie Amber (S)

• Chocolate Pumpkin Brown (S)

• Hazelnut Nut Brown (S)

• Imperial Pale (R)

• India Brown (R)

• Orange Honey Pale (R)

• Peach Fig Pale (R)

• Poplar Brown (R)

• Smoked Bacon Maple Black (R)

• Smoked Scotch (S)

• Smoked Maple Syrup Black (S)

• Vanilla Bean Chocolate Brown (YR)

• Black IPA (R)

• Double Cheek IPA (R)

• Oaked IPA (R)

• Orange Mint IPA (S)

• Orange Spiced IPA (YR)

• Pineapple IPA (S)

• Pumpkin IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Citra IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Simcoe IPA (S)

• Rye Weck IPA (S)

• Black IPA (R)

• Double Cheek IPA (R)

• Oaked IPA (R)

• Orange Mint IPA (S)

• Orange Spiced IPA (YR)

• Pineapple IPA (S)

• Pumpkin IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Citra IPA (S)

• Wet Hop Simcoe IPA (S)

• Rye Weck IPA (S)

• Honey Spruce Paradise Black Lager (S)

• Black Lemon Wheat IPA (NEW)

• Lemon Spiced Wheat IPA (R)
    With that big a brewing catalog(?) I have to think quality would be suspect. Still a funny name. It will be interesting to see if they survive and thrive or fade away.