Page 1556 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5561056145615061546155415551556155715581566160616562056 ... LastLast
Results 31,101 to 31,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From last PM after over a year in the fridge, one from the D9 Defying Gravity Series:

Voyager-D9 Brewing Company

Sorta local.

Credit-a whim purchase quite a while ago
    Style-flavored imperial sour
    Format-12 ounce bottle (~$4.50)
    Fresh-hell, no, but it's a high gravity sour; 02/11/19 smudged on bottle neck
    Stemware-red wine glass
    Appearance-raspberry soda; thin, fizzy head
    Nose-sour raspberry/cherry cider/vinegar
    Mouthfeel-puckery and sweet
    Tastes-stuff tastes like raspberry/cherry root beer with a splash of lemon and apple cider vinegar
    Adjuncts-sassafrass (I read this had been banned in the US as a possible carcinogen) and vanilla
    IBU-gotta be <10
    ABV-14% (); potent stuff that took me almost an hour to finish
    Overall impression-greatly exceeded expectations
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; I'd buy another from this series if I saw one
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Drogon - Commonwealth Brewing - 8.5 % - DIPA with Styrian Dragon?, Callista?, and Citra

Best beer I had this weekend. If you haven't tried Commonwealth, you must. I had it after a good Burial and this was better.

LOTS of Citra freshness present on finish makes your mouth happy for half hour after it's all gone. This one's unique spicy, earthy taste is a little off-putting only at first. But it just keeps getting better and better and better. Juicy, creamy mouthfeel. Floral, orange candy on finish.

Category 3 for style

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I like the idea/concept/execution of IPAs/IIPAs with spicy foods with the thought that pilsners/wheat beers might be overwhelmed with the flavors/spiciness of that style of cuisine.
    I’m more on wine pairings frankly, but this was a lightish IPA that I figured would not overpower and not too citrusy to counter the savory roux. Worked well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Easy now. That’s how OPK starts rumors ...
    Ain’t my kid. Other than that it’s none of my business.

In the Fall of Our Truth - Burial - 7.5 % - Triple-Dry Hopped DIPA with hand-select Citra, Azacca, Centennial, and Galaxy. Finished with Centennial Cryo.

how's that for your west coast - NE hybrid?

It's not as good as it should be. Typical Burial pineapple juice pour. Tropical and dank aroma. Good medium feel. Grassy, citrus, lemon, sugar, and some mild bitterness. Very solid, just not as good as the Commonwealth or some of Burial's others. (That's about all I can compare Burial fairly with they're so good).

High Cat 2

Syndicate - Commonwealth - 8.7% - DIPA with Cryo Mosaic, Styrian Cardinal?, and Grungeist?

This one was the most West-Coasty I've had all weekend, so I liked the Drogon better.

The devil on this can was scarier than any Burial can I've seen. I didn't see it at first and didn't want it in my home after I did.

It pours like hazy, white grapefruit juice with some mango.

There is lots going on. Dank pink grapefruit bite to start with peppery, dank, piney, bitter finish. But there is some pineapple citrus on the finish - nothing harsh here. It drinks very smooth, refreshing, and goes down easy. The soft, smooth, creamy, juicy mouthfeel is part of what makes these Commonwealth beers so great. And ABV of both commonwealth's I had this weekend so well-hidden I was surprised when I looked them up for these reviews.

High Cat 2

Mrs. dd just made the bitter/bad beer face after a sip of Mas Agave Lime and didn’t think it tasted like any Margarita she’d ever tasted, even though I tried to convince her it was *better* than RJ199’s home/handmade version. Didn’t even come from Tripping Williams’s allotment .

(more for me)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Fascinating.

When we did the “Septemberfest” virtual pub at this time last year, I discovered there are two different Marzen / Octoberfest styles. The original / true German fest biers tend more towards a golden lager than the more malty American style, like Sam Adams Octoberfest and Foothills Clawhammer.

They are different enough to really be different beer styles. I like both, I favour beers like Clawhammer far more.

Its been a long time since I’ve had a Shotgun Betty, so hard to comment beyond my memory of it is a decent hefeweizen.
    It’s also been a while since I’ve had a big banana ester, clove and bubble gum hefeweizen.

If only I had more time to sample more beer 🤪

Skol! 🍻
    I find that the americans try to do "too much" with the basic german styles. All the american hefes are advertised as "with that great banana and cloves flavor!" or some such...but it seems to be so overdone here. Maybe now I have taps, I can get them side by side on tap and really do a blind taste.

THe american festbiers are all seem almost as different from eachother as they are from the munich ones, I find. Many domestics are still too bitter relative to their bavarian cousins, I find. I think Red Oak, despite seemingly being despised at many local taprooms, is one of the more authentic representations, and sierra nevada does a decent job.

I'm lucky that I get to spend several weeks in germany/austria each year, until this one...and I can say with certainty that despite having had american-made bottled variants in the past month, getting some paulaner festbier on tap a couple weeks ago made me about as happy as i've been since this covid thing started. As Vincent Vega once said, I'll pepsi challenge that.

(uh_no reserves the right to keep the results of any such "pepsi challenge" with german beers private and to continue to present an irrational air of superiority with respect to the style for the foreseeable future)
    1200. DDMF.

Soft and Sublime - Wise Man -- 6.5 % - 53 IBU - NE IPA with Citra, Mosaic, Loral, and Cashmere

Orange yellow pour, not as hazy looking as a Burial.

But it's soft, juicy, and sublime indeed. Tropical aroma emanates from pinky-thick foamy head. Cashmere is moving up my list of good hops after that incredible Burial Celestial Altar and this one. There is a little more going on with this one than I can describe from memory after just one. Tropical and untappd says some melon (yes) and grape(?). Just a very slight hint of dank.

Good Category 2 and looking forward to another one another day

Mrs. dd just made the bitter/bad beer face after a sip of Mas Agave Lime and didn’t think it tasted like any Margarita she’d ever tasted, even though I tried to convince her it was *better* than RJ199’s home/handmade version. Didn’t even come from Tripping Williams’s allotment .

(more for me)
    Lots of high quality sweet and sour flavors in that one. It also didn't taste like any beer I've ever tasted, which is why it got Cat 4.

beergoddess thought it was fun, but she's given bitter beer face to just about every beer since (except the new glarus raspberry tart she finished tonight)

I'll mix us up some signature margaritas sometime for a side-by-side

Endless Measure - Wise Man - 5.6 % - Marzen

This is as good an Oktoberfest beer as I've had this year. (Unfortunately I haven't had the authentic stuff coming out of uh-no's kitchen tap). No flavor jumps out and dominates - but all are balanced beautifully and prominent. Bready, just right hint of sweetness, smooth malt, and light toasty finish. (From untappd but it's accurate).

Wise Man nails it again.

High Cat 2 and definitely worth trying if you love this style

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I find that the americans try to do "too much" with the basic german styles. All the american hefes are advertised as "with that great banana and cloves flavor!" or some such...but it seems to be so overdone here. Maybe now I have taps, I can get them side by side on tap and really do a blind taste.

THe american festbiers are all seem almost as different from eachother as they are from the munich ones, I find. Many domestics are still too bitter relative to their bavarian cousins, I find. I think Red Oak, despite seemingly being despised at many local taprooms, is one of the more authentic representations, and sierra nevada does a decent job.

I'm lucky that I get to spend several weeks in germany/austria each year, until this one...and I can say with certainty that despite having had american-made bottled variants in the past month, getting some paulaner festbier on tap a couple weeks ago made me about as happy as i've been since this covid thing started. As Vincent Vega once said, I'll pepsi challenge that.

(uh_no reserves the right to keep the results of any such "pepsi challenge" with german beers private and to continue to present an irrational air of superiority with respect to the style for the foreseeable future)
    All good points. We've had a couple really good international Virtual Pubs featuring Belgian and Irish beers. The Belgian one made me re-visit some of my early tastings from friends who "muled" beers back 20+ years ago. It also made me try a few new ones. The American brewers do a remarkable job with tripels and sours and a good one with dubbels. It was a bit difficult (but fun) finding many Irish brews.

I'm really looking forward to being edjumacated and challenged with beergoddess' German Virtual Pub on September 26. I'll likely buy at least 6 beers, enjoying several on the days leading up to the VP, a couple that day and then have a few more DNP-CD to enjoy for a few days after the doors are locked about 0200 hours by RJ199. We'd be delighted for you to join us.

WRT Red Oak, the fan club on Ymm, Beer is substantial.

As promised

devildeac graciously gifted me some NC beers when we made the Dark Lord exchange a few weeks ago. All he asked in return was that I review them on the thread. I took three of them over to my neighbor's last night for some sharing and comparing of notes. So here goes...

1. Conceited Genius 2.0 - Wise Man Brewing
    NEIPA dry-hopped with citra & motueka
    6.1% ABV, 80 IBU

Solid NEIPA. I generally love anything with citra - one of my favorite hops. This is a beer I could see keeping a supply of in the fridge.

2. Iced Latte IPA - Casita Cerveceria
    IPA - milkshake
    hopped with mosaic, columbus, and cashmere
    conditioned on vanilla and dynamite roasters coffee
    7% ABV, no IBU listed

My first ever coffee flavored IPA. I frankly had a hard time wrapping my head around the flavors going on as I am used to coffee flavors only in darker beers. I think it was well done, but I honestly have no basis for comparison. I clearly need to do some further coffee IPA research...

3. Torn Paper Leaves (Brazilian Oak) - Haw River Farmhouse Ales
    from the can: "golden ale aged on amburana wood spirals"
    8.3% ABV, no IBU listed (but I would guess low, maybe 20-30)

Again, I had no idea what to expect. Never had wood spirals in my beer before. Smooth up front and had a cinnamon-like flavor on the finish. It really grew on me by the end of the glass - one I would definitely seek out again when in the mood for something different.

Many thanks to dd for the shares! Will report back on the rest as I get through them.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

This is a pretty fair assessment, particularly considering Rheinheitsgebot (all spelling errors mine).

It may not be uniquely American to want to be different or special. I have to imagine US brewers everywhere play within acceptable style parameters to find ways to make their beer just different enough to stand out.
    Unfair to German beer- I tend to think clean and fresh first over complex. There are plenty of hefeweizens, dunkelweizens and dopplebocks that prove otherwise.

Dark Lord Expedition Parts 5 and 6 (I *may* have lost count ) to be completed today (sort of/mostly). The final installment will be arranged in coming weeks with accfanfrom1970.

SoPines Growler had a bunch if Haw River stuff. One find: a “coconut curry” variant of St. Benedict’s Breakfast Dubbel. To the original, they added toasted coconut and curry spices, and then changed to Peruvian coffee. The spices steal the show. More cinnamon than anything. The coconut is subtle. An easy-drinker at 7.2% ABV. I love this beer. Easily Cat 3.
    I thought I'd, err, you'd, umm, both of us had sampled this before.

St. Benedict's Breakfast Special "Coconut Curry" Variant-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Local!!

Credit-one for davec, one for younger son-in-law, one for me and one for a special mule this afternoon
    Style-a higher ground than the original
    Container-pint can from an aluminum tree
    Stemware-Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-dark brown; foamy tan head
    Nose-coffee and dark, dried fruits
    Mouthfeel-smooth with a bit of spice
    Tastes-oh, my, what a collection of flavors; coffee, cinnamon, dates, figs, curry, brown sugar syrup, dark chocolate and mild herbal/earthy bitterness
    Grain adjunct-oatmeal
    Other adjuncts-cocoa nibs, dark chocolate, Peruvian coffee, toasted coconut, garam masala spices, cinnamon, black cardamom and a "few other spices"
    IBU-maybe 30
    ABV-7.2%
    Overall impression-an amazing mélange of ingredients that paired wonderfully with some ribs, smashed cheddar bacon redskin potatoes and homemade slaw last PM
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid level cat 3, eyeing the upper tier very closely

SDDB with fuse, the vivacious Love Ninja and RJ199 in the books. Good conversation, a couple low ABV beers and lots of beers exchanged. Should be good for several hundred quality posts.

SDDB with fuse, the vivacious Love Ninja and RJ199 in the books. Good conversation, a couple low ABV beers and lots of beers exchanged. Should be good for several hundred quality posts.
    Major tip o’ the cap in your general direction, sir.

Bell’s Raspberry Wild One was the star of the show.

Great memories of your football and beer road trip.

Super vinegary nose, with a hint of fruit that blossoms nicely into a raspberry viniagrette.

Acidic mouthfeel balanced by a ton of raspberry.

Thanks devildeac!

And major thanks to richardjackson for essentially refilling my fridge. Looking foreward to them all.

Now, I need to figure out a few special occasions worthy of enjoying a Dark Lord.

Skol! 🍻

I thought I'd, err, you'd, umm, both of us had sampled this before.

St. Benedict's Breakfast Special "Coconut Curry" Variant-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Local!!

Credit-one for davec, one for younger son-in-law, one for me and one for a special mule this afternoon
    Style-a higher ground than the original
    Container-pint can from an aluminum tree
    Stemware-Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-dark brown; foamy tan head
    Nose-coffee and dark, dried fruits
    Mouthfeel-smooth with a bit of spice
    Tastes-oh, my, what a collection of flavors; coffee, cinnamon, dates, figs, curry, brown sugar syrup, dark chocolate and mild herbal/earthy bitterness
    Grain adjunct-oatmeal
    Other adjuncts-cocoa nibs, dark chocolate, Peruvian coffee, toasted coconut, garam masala spices, cinnamon, black cardamom and a "few other spices"
    IBU-maybe 30
    ABV-7.2%
    Overall impression-an amazing mélange of ingredients that paired wonderfully with some ribs, smashed cheddar bacon redskin potatoes and homemade slaw last PM
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid level cat 3, eyeing the upper tier very closely
    Glad SoPines Growler had another of these for me to buy. And the Torn Paper Leaves that davec just reviewed. Will be very glad to drink them during the course of the week (or so).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Anthem Don’t Call Me Baby

This is their Simcoe hops offering. Double dry hopped. Bright gold but more transparent. Foamy head, and more bubbly/fizzy on the pour. Less dank, and less citrus. More bitter than the others. 7.2% ABV, and I bet IBU’s in the 60’s. Not a “wow” beer like their others. But still very good. Mid Cat 2. My least favorite so far.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Anthem Don’t Call Me Baby

This is their Simcoe hops offering. Double dry hopped. Bright gold but more transparent. Foamy head, and more bubbly/fizzy on the pour. Less dank, and less citrus. More bitter than the others. 7.2% ABV, and I bet IBU’s in the 60’s. Not a “wow” beer like their others. But still very good. Mid Cat 2. My least favorite so far.
    Reads a bit like the NA Long Needle.