Page 155 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 551051451531541551561571652052556551155 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Ruby Redbird-Shiner (Spoetzl) Brewing

Now this was an intriguing beer. A summer seasonal brew that starts out a lager and then becomes a grapefruit ginger beer. Straw-colored with little head, this concoction has far more ginger than grapefruit. Minimal hop presence with an IBU of 13 and the Texas Ruby red grapefruit added in the brewing process is minimally perceptible on the palate. The ABV of 4.01% makes this sessionable and certainly worth a taste, especially since my son-in-law gave me one from his 6er last week.

beer_141876.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ruby Redbird-Shiner (Spoetzl) Brewing

Now this was an intriguing beer. A summer seasonal brew that starts out a lager and then becomes a grapefruit ginger beer. Straw-colored with little head, this concoction has far more ginger than grapefruit. Minimal hop presence with an IBU of 13 and the Texas Ruby red grapefruit added in the brewing process is minimally perceptible on the palate. The ABV of 4.01% makes this sessionable and certainly worth a taste, especially since my son-in-law gave me one from his 6er last week.

beer_141876.jpg
    Bought a six pack of this last summer. Tried two before I gave the rest away. I love Shiner Cheer at Christmas time, but to me this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Probably the most complimentary thing I can say about this beer is it is polarizing- no middle ground, this is a love it/ hate it beer in my book.

Who's gonna be the first here to sample and review this one:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/...ylink=misearch

Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale...

http://www.rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

13 Ingredients:

Malts: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts

Speciality: Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring

Hops: Perle, Sterling

Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast, Free Range Coastal Water

Specs:

14º PLATO

30 IBU

76 AA

30º Lovibond
    World Class Package:

750ml painted bottle.

beer_152611.jpg

Lovely bottle.

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php

Who's gonna be the first here to sample and review this one:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/...ylink=misearch

Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale...

http://www.rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

13 Ingredients:

Malts: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts

Speciality: Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring

Hops: Perle, Sterling

Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast, Free Range Coastal Water

Specs:

14º PLATO

30 IBU

76 AA

30º Lovibond
    World Class Package:

750ml painted bottle.

beer_152611.jpg

Lovely bottle.

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php

Have seen it in stores a few times and passed it up every time. Seems to be gaining quite a cult following, and those that try it report liking it.

I'd need an occasion for a beer like this, some sort of pancake, bacon and egg breakfast. That would probably relegate me to more couch potato than usual for that day.

Seems like this is the week for beer "hallmark holidays" as today is reputedly International Beer Day.
    I think I have some Belgians in the fridge but most of the stash is US. Picked up some interesting things yesterday including Sierra Nevada Brux, New Belgium Brett, a Stone collaboration, Terrapin Samurai Crunkles, Deviant Dales, Monks Blood- beer store gift certificates are a gateway for unintended spend. Oh, we'll I am sure I will enjoy it all.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Have seen it in stores a few times and passed it up every time. Seems to be gaining quite a cult following, and those that try it report liking it.

I'd need an occasion for a beer like this, some sort of pancake, bacon and egg breakfast. That would probably relegate me to more couch potato than usual for that day.

Seems like this is the week for beer "hallmark holidays" as today is reputedly International Beer Day.
    I think I have some Belgians in the fridge but most of the stash is US. Picked up some interesting things yesterday including Sierra Nevada Brux, New Belgium Brett, a Stone collaboration, Terrapin Samurai Crunkles, Deviant Dales, Monks Blood- beer store gift certificates are a gateway for unintended spend. Oh, we'll I am sure I will enjoy it all.
    Went to World of Beer last PM to hear a friend's daughter sing but was on call so no tasting. Saw the Crunkles on tap and have reviewed the Deviant Dales recently. Should have a review of Monk's Blood "cellared" somewhere, too. If not, I have 1 left from a purchase this spring and that may be chilled for tomorrow night.

You need to join us at a Brunchgate this fall. We often have several brews to share/trade/sample and a noon kickoff makes a great time to sip a breakfast stout or a beer like the Voodoo as we often have pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon and other breakfast fare grilled/prepared by 930 AM in Devil's Alley.

Went to World of Beer last PM to hear a friend's daughter sing but was on call so no tasting. Saw the Crunkles on tap and have reviewed the Deviant Dales recently. Should have a review of Monk's Blood "cellared" somewhere, too. If not, I have 1 left from a purchase this spring and that may be chilled for tomorrow night.

You need to join us at a Brunchgate this fall. We often have several brews to share/trade/sample and a noon kickoff makes a great time to sip a breakfast stout or a beer like the Voodoo as we often have pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon and other breakfast fare grilled/prepared by 930 AM in Devil's Alley.
    Working on the football tickets this season. Sad to say I think the only non-domestic beer I have in the house is Stella- going to have to remedy that in the future, but the good news is there is so much good American beer ( and local NC beer) that I'm ok with my international beer day choice to be an American beer- Foothills Hoppyum on draft.

Monk's Blood-21st Amendment Brewing Company

Brewer's notes describe this just about perfectly:

21st Amendment founders Nico Freccia and Shaun O’Sullivan traveled to Belgium to develop the recipe for this special beer, visiting small, traditional breweries in the hop fields of west Flanders, not far from the famous Trappist abbey of Westvletren. Monk’s Blood is designed to pair beautifully with rich winter stews, creamy cheeses, unctuous desserts or just by itself, in a Belgian tulip glass, with a good book by the fire.

Find a 4 pack of this (cans) for about $9 and buy it. Outstanding concoction.

Working on the football tickets this season. Sad to say I think the only non-domestic beer I have in the house is Stella- going to have to remedy that in the future, but the good news is there is so much good American beer ( and local NC beer) that I'm ok with my international beer day choice to be an American beer- Foothills Hoppyum on draft.
    Another fine choice. From March, 2011:

Hoppyum IPA-Foothills Brewing

Yum is right. Ozzie got this and the next one (Baltic Porter) at the brewery about a month ago and specified I bring them to Brunchgate along with the duplicates he bought for CB&B. So, I obliged yesterday and brought CB&B's bombers to the Spring Game Brunchgate where we proceeded to drink his brews, leaving the duplicates in my "cellar." Just kidding, man. Next time we get together, you will get your bombers. Unopened.

On to the review. Typical golden-yellow pour and foamy 2 finger head with a blend of 4 hops: Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade and Columbia. This yielded a mixture of piney/herbal and citrus notes. IBU=70, which is moderately bitter, but, due to a strong malt backbone, not as bitter as your palate might imagine. Even Ozzie's tender taste buds were not overwhelmed by this amount of hops . The ABV is 6.3%, so we had the chance to savor the 2nd bomber, the Baltic Porter,too. We had chips, dips, veggies, chili, slaw and no mayo potato salad with our all beef hot dogs and ground chuck burgers, with or without bacon cheddar cheese slices (thanks to Cowboy Devil for this topping and his grilling skills!).

Urethral Samaranth Quadrium Ale

Turns out I had an international beer in the fridge yesterday and was unaware. A gift from a friend, this is a Dutch beer "brewed in the Flemish tradition".

This pours thick and dark, a muddy brown reminiscent of Delirium Nocturnum or possibly a Chimay red or blue.

The nose is boozy and sweet. The thin head did not linger and carbonation appears pretty low.
    The anticipated comparison do not disappoint. This is every bit of the 11% but doesn't reach out and smack you. There is a raisiny sweetness to the first sip. Carbonation is low, and there is no discernible hops in the nose or the tongue- really no bitterness in this beer at all.

It took me a bit but it struck me why I liked this beer. If you like caramel, there are layers and layers of caramel sweetness in this brew.

Raison D'Extra (2006 edition)-Dogfish Head Brewing

I have been pondering and savoring this brew and review for a couple weeks now and finally have some time to post about it. Twelve ounce bottle dated 11/7/2006 and divided into three nightcaps after my son's wedding. Poured a muddy, reddish-brown with aromas of raisin puree. Brewed with a massive amount of raisins, this really resembled a sherry more than a beer due to its huge maltiness and flavors or caramel, figs, dates, brown sugar and dark rum. The head was small and only briefly maintained and I sipped this slightly chilled. The IBUis rated at 20 (fairly low as the hops here are minimal) and the ABV is a ginormous 18.5%. Apparently, an earlier 750 ml bottled vintage tipped the scales at 20.5%. This was purely a celebratory brew for our multiple events last month and I am extremely pleased to have saved the bottle for nearly 6 years and that it was so smooth and sherry-like after that period of time. Pretty spendy at $9 for the 12 ounce bottle but well worth the splurge for a tasting or a celebration.

beer_12834.jpg

Deviant Dale's

First, thanks to all for the encouragement to try this beer.
    The anecdotal Deviant Dales is bad is wrong (at least for me).

DD pours a hazy amber. The nose is weak, which is surprising for a double IPA.
    However the taste, mouthful and finish are glorious. Apt comparisons are probably Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but for some reason, Hopslam came to mind at the first sip (probably among the highest compliment I could offer for a DIPA). Keep in mind that Hopslam has the best nose of any beer I have ever been privileged to try, and DD had no real nose, and there is no honey note either.

That said, this is a pleasingly bitter IPA. It hides its 8% well. Well worth trying and keeping in the rotation.

First, thanks to all for the encouragement to try this beer.
    The anecdotal Deviant Dales is bad is wrong (at least for me).

DD pours a hazy amber. The nose is weak, which is surprising for a double IPA.
    However the taste, mouthful and finish are glorious. Apt comparisons are probably Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but for some reason, Hopslam came to mind at the first sip (probably among the highest compliment I could offer for a DIPA). Keep in mind that Hopslam has the best nose of any beer I have ever been privileged to try, and DD had no real nose, and there is no honey note either.

That said, this is a pleasingly bitter IPA. It hides its 8% well. Well worth trying and keeping in the rotation.
    Glad you liked it. I'm pretty honest with my reviews and I am not gonna blow smoke up your sport coat.

Terrapin Samurai Krunkles

I recently learned that Terrapin's beer label art is done by the same guy that did Grateful Dead album art.

Pretty cool.

Samurai Krunkles is ana ale brewed with ginger and green tea. The last green tea beer I had was the Stone collaboration IPA to benefit Japanese tsunami victims. It was a heck of a fresh IPA, but if there was green tea used ( the video of the tea steeping is on YouTube and the Stone site I believe.).

Anyway on to the beer. SK pours a bit of a hazy amber gold, from a distance it might look like an IPA. The head dissipated quickly after an initial finger of foam. The nose is resinous, all hoppy up front but a tingly whiff of ginger at the end.

The beer is surprisingly sweet up front, a mild but distinct bitterness throughout- not unpleasant but not in harmony with the rest of the beer. I love the flavour of ginger ale ( the soft drink ) but I am not a big ginger fan in general. The finish of SK is a big ginger assault. There is a subtle whisper of green tea in the mid palate but you have to concentrate to find it. Green tea may have a lot of antioxidant benefits but it is too subtle a flavour for beer. This brew is a bit slick and oily in mouthfeel

There is a lot going on in this beer. It is complex, a little bit dissonant, but overall enjoyable. If you like ginger, this will be a beer you'll enjoy. Terrapin makes great beers. I'd drink this again but there are other Terrapin beers I enjoy more- Monk's Revenge and Monster Rouge to name but two. I'm looking forward to trying the Terrapin Anniversary in the fridge soon.

I recently learned that Terrapin's beer label art is done by the same guy that did Grateful Dead album art.

Pretty cool.

Samurai Krunkles is ana ale brewed with ginger and green tea. The last green tea beer I had was the Stone collaboration IPA to benefit Japanese tsunami victims. It was a heck of a fresh IPA, but if there was green tea used ( the video of the tea steeping is on YouTube and the Stone site I believe.).

Anyway on to the beer. SK pours a bit of a hazy amber gold, from a distance it might look like an IPA. The head dissipated quickly after an initial finger of foam. The nose is resinous, all hoppy up front but a tingly whiff of ginger at the end.

The beer is surprisingly sweet up front, a mild but distinct bitterness throughout- not unpleasant but not in harmony with the rest of the beer. I love the flavour of ginger ale ( the soft drink ) but I am not a big ginger fan in general. The finish of SK is a big ginger assault. There is a subtle whisper of green tea in the mid palate but you have to concentrate to find it. Green tea may have a lot of antioxidant benefits but it is too subtle a flavour for beer. This brew is a bit slick and oily in mouthfeel

There is a lot going on in this beer. It is complex, a little bit dissonant, but overall enjoyable. If you like ginger, this will be a beer you'll enjoy. Terrapin makes great beers. I'd drink this again but there are other Terrapin beers I enjoy more- Monk's Revenge and Monster Rouge to name but two. I'm looking forward to trying the Terrapin Anniversary in the fridge soon.
    I am also a big fan of Terrapin Brewing. Here's a review from 5/7/11:

Tomfoolery-Terrapin Brewing

Another fascinating ale delivered by the folks from Athens, Georgia. A black saison ale? WTH? The wheat malt imparts a bit of citrus and the rye lends the mustiness you'd expect but the other heavily roasted malts dominate and you end up with a mouthful of cocoa and espresso flavors. Stews, beef roasts and steak scream for this brew to be served at the same time. Bitterness is modest, probably 30-40 with not much hop presence and the ABV is 7.3% on the bottle so I have started celebrating graduation with the whole bomber of this tonight over the last 2 hours while sorting out and filing a couple years worth of business papers. I think this was $8 for the 22 ouncer which is a fair price these days. I believe CB&B will find this interesting when he finds it in his trader box soon.

Some brewer notes, too:

Volume 14 - Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery “Black Saison” is the latest addition to our Side Project series of beers. Number 14 on the list, this ale boasts an uncharacteristic black color for a traditional Saison, but is just untraditional enough for our experimental mentality.
    Made with a silly amount of rye, wheat and black malts, this dark spicy beverage will quench the thirst of any court jester in the land. We hope you enjoy our light hearted attempt at making this traditional style with foolish brewing behavior.
    Spike’s Brewing Words of Wisdom: Beer is serious business…what you do after consumption often times is not.
    O.G. 15.2 F.G. 1.5 ABV% 7.4
    Hops: Golding, Willamette, Vanguard
    Malts: Pale ,Vienna, Wheat Rye, DH Carafa III, Acidulated

Pretty cool.

And one from March, 2011, too:

So Fresh and So Green, Green (bottle)-Terrapin Brewing

This is another of the fresh/wet hop ales that have become popular/trendy in the last couple years, and rightfully so. Fresh or "wet" hops are used in the brewing process. Not dried hops or hop pellets. Please feel free to correct this, CB&B. In this brew, they flew in hundreds of pounds of Amarillo hops from the Yakima Valley (I'm looking at you, Bob Green.) to their brewery in Athens, Georgia, and used these almost-just-off-the-vine fresh hops for the aroma and bittering aspects of the brew. What it results in is a little fresher brew with a a bit more resin/pine with this particular variety and a lightly "oily" mouth feel. The IBU are listed at 50+ (kinda strange there but I would not disagree with that) so this resembles a pale ale more than an IPA. The ABV was 6.6% so I was able to enjoy half of this bomber with a small portion of the DFH 120 Minute IPA also. The pour was light golden, head modest and there was also a bit of a floral aroma with a very light caramel malt sweetness to the body. I prefer the Sierra Nevada and Great Divide products a bit more but this is certainly worth a taste at about $7 for the bomber.

Pretty cool.

Oooh, and one from 1/2011, too. A collaboration:

Oxymoron-Left Hand/Terrapin Brewing

A collaboration (not litigation ) brew. Just a bit unusual, but not unexpected, especially when the Terrapin Brewing folks are involved. 6 hop varieties and 3 malts and a lager yeast. WTH? Makes for an interesting final product with an orange-yellow color, a mildly foamy head, flowers on the nose and pine and a hint of citrus on the palate. I sipped about 7 ounces of this the last 3 nights with other brews reviewed the last 3 days, too, and, with a wine stopper, it was OK, even the 3rd night. IBU are 65 and the ABV is 7.2% and they call it an American IPA, which I think, is a fairly apt description. Certainly worth a bomber to share/trade or sip on yourself with some seafood paella like I had tonight or curry. CB&B also has one of these so let's see if he samples his this weekend and shares his thoughts.

Pretty cool.

Digging deeper now, I am back to 12/2010 (with a recipe, too):

Hop Karma Brown IPA-Terrapin Brewing

This is quite a unique brew with an almost wildly hoppy first bite of the IPA, followed by the creamy, caramel sweetness of the brown ale. A very pleasant battle of brews and flavors. The brew would be at home with ribs or a brisket or grilled tuna with a peppery, spicy chutney or salsa. I got this one as a trader from one of the drug reps who calls on the office and I think I have a 2nd bottle that CB&B will see in a 6er in the near future . Worth reading the brewer's notes, too:

The Terrapin Hop Karma IPA (formerly known as the India Style Brown Ale) is a head on collision between a hoppy, west coast IPA and a complex, malty brown ale. Brewed with 5 varieties of hops and 7 different malts, this hybrid style represents the best of both worlds.

ABV: 6.0%

IBU’s: 65

O.G.: 15.1

Malt: Pale, Dark Munich, Victory, Special Roast, Crystal 60, Crystal 77, Chocolate

Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, Willamette, Columbus (Dry Hop)

Food: BBQ or anything that’s hittin’ the grill – pairs with spice, lime and cilantro with the best of ’em.

Cheese: Aged Gouda or Dry Jack

Awards: 92 June issue of Draft Silver Medal- 2010 Atlantic City Beer Festival (American Brown Ale) Gold- 2009 U.S Open Beer Championships (American Brown Ale) Bronze Medal – 2009 Carolina Championship of Beers Silver Medal Best Specialty – 2008 Bramwell Oktoberfest Gold Medal – 2008 Carolina Championship of Beers

Beef and Carrot Karma Stew • 2 tablespoons peanut oil • 1 3-pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks • 2 cups chopped onions • 4 garlic cloves, smashed • 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage and/or rosemary • 2 tablespoons tomato paste • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour • 1 12-ounce bottle Hop Karma Brown IPA • 1 14-ounce can low-salt beef broth • 1 pound baby carrots with some green tops attached, peeled Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add to pot and sauté until browned, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to bowl. Add onions, garlic, and herbs to pot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and flour; stir 1 minute. Add beer; stir until thick and smooth, scraping up browned bits, about 2 minutes. Add broth, then beef with any juices; bring to simmer. Cover partially, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots; simmer partially covered until beef and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper

Pretty cool.

OK, I promise. Last one. From 7/1/10. And a good one, too. I really like this brewery.

Monk's Revenge-Terrapin Brewing Company

I think this is one of their best offerings yet, mostly because of the marriage of 2 different styles of ales and its variety of flavors. The esters of a triple with some cloves, bananas and dark fruits and also the knock your tongue off hops of an IIPA. There's a bit of pine and citrus on the palate here. If I were to pair this, I think it would be with spicy, peppery foods like curry or a mildly fiery salsa topping with some grilled fish. I enjoyed it plain and found all the aromas and flavors to be quite challenging to discern and pleasant to enjoy. I remember the ABV to be 9.6% and, IIRC from the web site, the IBU are a menacing 99 so it is NOT for the faint of palate.

Here's some more info:

Step back in time for this holier-than-thou union of two great brewing traditions that are worlds apart. Kudos to Friar Spike and Little John for marrying a classic Belgian Style Tripel and a new age American Double IPA.

Revenge is a BEER best served cold!

Annual Release: March

The high content alcohol of this beer make it perfect for cellaring…hide it away and pull one out for a special event 2-3 years later.

ABV: 9.8%

IBU’s: 99

O.G.: 19.7

FG:: 2.1

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Pilsner, Munich Lt., Special Aroma, Pale Crystal, Acidulated

Hops: Magnum, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe

I am also a big fan of Terrapin Brewing. Here's a review from 5/7/11:

Tomfoolery-Terrapin Brewing

Another fascinating ale delivered by the folks from Athens, Georgia. A black saison ale? WTH? The wheat malt imparts a bit of citrus and the rye lends the mustiness you'd expect but the other heavily roasted malts dominate and you end up with a mouthful of cocoa and espresso flavors. Stews, beef roasts and steak scream for this brew to be served at the same time. Bitterness is modest, probably 30-40 with not much hop presence and the ABV is 7.3% on the bottle so I have started celebrating graduation with the whole bomber of this tonight over the last 2 hours while sorting out and filing a couple years worth of business papers. I think this was $8 for the 22 ouncer which is a fair price these days. I believe CB&B will find this interesting when he finds it in his trader box soon.

Some brewer notes, too:

Volume 14 - Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery “Black Saison” is the latest addition to our Side Project series of beers. Number 14 on the list, this ale boasts an uncharacteristic black color for a traditional Saison, but is just untraditional enough for our experimental mentality.
    Made with a silly amount of rye, wheat and black malts, this dark spicy beverage will quench the thirst of any court jester in the land. We hope you enjoy our light hearted attempt at making this traditional style with foolish brewing behavior.
    Spike’s Brewing Words of Wisdom: Beer is serious business…what you do after consumption often times is not.
    O.G. 15.2 F.G. 1.5 ABV% 7.4
    Hops: Golding, Willamette, Vanguard
    Malts: Pale ,Vienna, Wheat Rye, DH Carafa III, Acidulated
    Had one or two dark / black saisons but not the Terrapin. I avoid most beers with rye, though.