Page 154 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 541041441521531541551561642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Belgian Independence Day

Last post of the day...I did not plan especially well, or I might be reviewing an interesting Belgian beer on Belgian Independence Day. Instead, I pulled a Stella out of the fridge to celebrate. Thank you Belgian brewers and Trappist monks for making some of the best beers on the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Natty Greene beers are "ok" to me- certainly not bad but in general if I have options I will look elsewhere. Wildflower is a pretty decent wit.
    That sums up my thoughts pretty well. I was going to post a summary review later tonight or tomorrow but I kind of think about them in the same category as Rock Bottom with a lot of session brews that are solid/OK/average but no outstanding concoctions, except I have had a pretty good seasonal or two from Rock Bottom many years ago, like XXX which was their winter warmer that resembled Demolition Ale from Goose Island. I thought Wildflower was the best of the several that I tried over the weekend, both bottled and draft versions.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Would have been more fun if you had!
    I'm with Ozzie here- as long as there is no driving involved, nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence during a celebration!
    I was pacing myself. I was also hosting the event (rehearsal dinner) Friday night and "co-hosting" the event (wedding reception) on Saturday evening.

Liefman's Goudenband 2011

A great friend gave me the gift of a blue paper wrapped 750ml, labelled Liefman's Goudenband.
    I follow the owner of Bruisin Ales on twitter, and she has always provided great beer advice. I noticed she was drinking this a couple weeks ago, and asked how she liked it. In typical twitter (short) fashion, she replied:
    "it is glorious and will make you sing like a drunken angel."

That certainly got my curiosity up!

I unwrapped the bottle, and it was corked and caged, the cork reading Liefman's 2011.

I poured it into an Allagash tulip, and the brown Belgian ale immediately evoked images of New Belgium La Folie, both in colour and nose.

A thin head lingered after the pour, and in the glass it is a deep amber, maybe even a muddy brown as the beer does not appear to be very clear.

The nose is a very sweet sour, and the first sip is indeed glorious. Granny Smith apple tartness is evident, and some barnyard funk on the finish, and a mild oakiness.
    Goudenband is very smooth. There is a mild bitterness and the sour is very easy on the palate. My wife took a sip and instead of the Keystone scrunch face, she commented that she liked it.

Calling this La Folie Light would be grossly unfair- where La Folie is sharp and challenging, Goudenband is mellow and refined. I suspect aging La Folie and Goudenband could result in some interesting comparisons.
    Rodenbach Grand Cru would likely be a good addition to the party.

I would definitely buy this again in a heartbeat!

Hessian Hefeweizen-Natty Greene's Brewing

Another respectable sampling from this brewpub/brewery in Greensboro. Shared on draft with my son-in-law after our rehearsal dinner Friday night. Moderately cloudy with a fizzy, foamy orange-yellow color served on draft as one of their Pubcraft ales. Nice banana and clove aromas and tastes with minimal bitterness. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and ABV was 5.4% which is slightly above what I'd expect from an unfiltered wheat ale. Nice ale to sip with friends and family on a steamy southern night, either with some soft, light cheeses and fruit or as a night cap.

Kellerweis-Sierra Nevada

It's summer and time to enjoy some lighter ales. This is another hefeweizen and resembles the Hessian from Natty Greene's in that it is an unfiltered wheat ale that is light and refreshing with some orange citrus tastes to accompany the banana and clove scents and tastes. This was a bottle I received as a trader last week and not sure if I have ever had it before. I'll guess the IBU to be low and the ABV on the bottle is 4.8% which is in the range I'd expect for a wheat ale.

beer_100383.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Kellerweis-Sierra Nevada

It's summer and time to enjoy some lighter ales. This is another hefeweizen and resembles the Hessian from Natty Greene's in that it is an unfiltered wheat ale that is light and refreshing with some orange citrus tastes to accompany the banana and clove scents and tastes. This was a bottle I received as a trader last week and not sure if I have ever had it before. I'll guess the IBU to be low and the ABV on the bottle is 4.8% which is in the range I'd expect for a wheat ale.

beer_100383.jpg
    I'll go with the simple Kellerweis is nice! I enjoy it, I know a lot of people who like it more than I do. I would qualify it as an excellent beer but not my Sierra Nevada favorite.

Inclined Pale Ale-Flat Rock Brewing

This appears to be the month for unusual/different brews from remote locations. This is from Latrobe and is a 12 ounce can of a modest quality IPA with a billowing head topping a slightly cloudy yellow-orange brew with notes of pine, black pepper and cannabis and a modest malty backbone. I could not find any IBU or ABV but I'd guess 60 and 5%, respectively. Worth a taste as I received it in a trader last week and would be an OK pairing with spicy/hot fare. Not worth a 6er or a trip to Latrobe.

8b2d855227bf6457390357bd571b3cf7_640x640.jpg

Cool can.

In the grand tradition of Zima, Mike's Hard Lemonade, and the original wine cooler Bartles and James that became a malt beverage, I was at a Railhawks game tonight and had the opportunity to try the Bud Light Lime A Rita.

I'm not sure how big the can was, but I am probably being generous if it was 8 ounces. 8% alcohol is on the can. I did not pour it out, so I have no idea how it looks. It has a great citrus lime nose, and in a blind tasting, I might be hard pressed to say it was not a mild house brand type margarita.

Given the heat, this was a tasty treat. I don't know that I'd have more than one as they are pretty sweet, but I was really surprised. I tried it on a lark not really expecting to like it. This is definitely not your traditional beer, but as a flavored malt beverage, it was good.

I can see how it would be a party pleaser for the right audience. A good summertime lawn mower choice.
    DukeTaylor likes Bud Light Lime. A lot. Back in the day, when I actually drank Bud Light, I tried one and didn't care for it at all. But then, I don't care much for lime margaritas, either.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Sons of Liberty-Natty Greene's Brewing

Final Natty. Promise.

This is labeled as a strong ale and is a draft only exclusive from their "Pubcraft" series, rotating on a seasonal basis. It's not really a strong ale but more of an IPA. Pungent citrusy hops and a bit of resin with a respectable balance from the moderate maltiness. It's not really that strong at 6.3% ABV and I'd estimate the IBU to be at least 60. It was a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a modest head served at their pub and brewing company in Greensboro in a pint glass. This would be fine with ribs, nachos or spicy fare.

So, overall, they make a reasonable selection of session brews and usually have 7 pub draft only brews. I'll not go out of my way to visit their pub in Raleigh but would like to taste their brown ale and their IPA. Some of their brews appear to be duplicates or very similar styles, their Ordinary Bitter and General Stout are a bit thin on the ABV (around 4%) and I'd like to see some different styles like a double or triple or an IIPA before I'd give them any more than about a B rating.

New Belgium / Lost Abbey Brett

I had been looking forward to trying this for a while, and it was on draft at Tylers. It arrived in. New Belgium tulip with about two fingers of nice belgian lace foam. Slighty hazy, there was a mild bit of funk on the nose.

This was a grand bit of refreshment and very mild.
    An excellent tasty drop worth seeking out. This is a very subtle sour, but in general a very nice light ale. Not much hops or bitterness to speak of.

If I can find some bottles I will be buying some.

Bryant Bridge Gateway Golden Ale-Bull City Burger and Brewery

Four ounce samples. Four ounce reviews.

This is about a 15 month old brewpub on Parrish Street in downtown Derm and we received a couple gifts cards last month so we decided to use them both last PM and were pleasantly surprised. This was a light golden pour and started off the 4 brew flight I had to accompany my Bacon Bleu burger. Crisp, clean and sparsely hopped with Goldings and Willamette hops, guessing IBU of about 20 and ABV of 5% or less. A nice starter brew for folks venturing into the craft beer world and for an evening meal and it matched nicely with the whole grain pretzels appetizer with a cream cheese dip. Named after the Bryant Bridge that crosses over Route 147 and is lighted with the Duke blue LED lights at night.

Viola Hefe Weiss-Bull City

This was the second of the sampler for the evening and arrived as advertised being a crisp, tart and refreshing wheat ale with a real Bavarian German yeast with pleasant aromas and tastes of bananas and cloves but a bit less than the Natty Greene's I had last weekend. It was pale yellow and slightly cloudy with an estimated IBU of 20 and an ABV about 5% or less. A nice brew with lighter appetizers or entrees and named after Viola Turner who was a secretary with NC Mutual Life in the 1920s and eventually became the company's treasurer, helped put the company on Wall Street and was the first woman appointed to the BOD as VP/treasurer.

More later.

DFH Noble Rot, take 2

I won't retype my Noble Rot review (its somewhere in this thread around the end of February 2012) from earlier, but I had my second bottle last night.

I don't remember being as impressed with it 5 months ago as I was last night.
    Crisp, fruity nose, dances on the tongue with a lot of sparkle, this is both a fun and well executed beer (or beer with 49% grape juice as part of the fermentation).

In February, I probably would not have bothered to buy any more, but after last night, I'll be keeping an eye out for more.

Liberty Summer Amber Ale-Bull City Brewing

Sample #3 from Saturday night. Think Fat Tire but perhaps a shade lighter in color and body. Small head, mild floral and spicy hops and medium bready, caramel tastes. I'd guess the IBU around 20 and ABV around 5% so it was a nice ale to have with sweet potato and dirty fries and my bacon bleu burger. Named after the Liberty Street Warehouse on Rigsbee Ave which was once a giant tobacco auction warehouse.

hsaWaknoW (Wonka Wash backwards) Chocolate Beer-Bull City Brewing

The fourth and final sample of the evening served as my dessert beer and was quite the treat. Somewhere between a brown ale and porter, this brew is aged on Peruvian and Guatemalan cacao nibs that are roasted fresh in Raleigh and brought directly to the brewery for the aging process. Creamy, dark and smooth, this ale reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Chocolate Bock but with a bit more body/texture and flavor. I'd estimate the IBU around 30 and the ABV around 6%. This would be delightful with any chocolate/caramel desserts but was delicious by itself.

A few notes about the brewery tomorrow.

Bull City Brewery and Burgers

This is a good brewery. Not a lot of "special" stuff but I was impressed by their selection and quality and highly impressed with their chocolate beer. The brewer is a former brewer/student/employee of Goose Island and if he can re-create some of the session brews and a few of the specialties that GI has brewed over the years, he will do great. They try to keep all their meats, veggies and even their condiments local, going so far as to make several (all?) of their sauces, etc. They also make doggie biscuits out of spent grain. I have heard of some other brewers (Great Lakes, IIRC) that use their grains to feed a lot of local livestock that are used for their entrees. I really, really, really want to return on January 1 when they plan to tap a keg of their barleywine that they have been aging in a cognac barrel since last fall/winter. Of course, I plan on returning sooner than that but the cognac aged barleywine sounds very tempting and tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I really, really, really want to return on January 1 when they plan to tap a keg of their barleywine that they have been aging in a cognac barrel since last fall/winter. Of course, I plan on returning sooner than that but the cognac aged barleywine sounds very tempting and tasty.
    Last time I was at Bull City, we got a little mini tour and the guide told us about this keg. Might have to get back down there for a January game!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

IPA Day

File this under any excuse will do, but someone apparently declared today IPA day.

Cracking a 2012 Hopslam. Will never get enough of that Hopslam nose.
    I hope everyone finds an IPA (or whatever beer you chose) to celebrate!

File this under any excuse will do, but someone apparently declared today IPA day.

Cracking a 2012 Hopslam. Will never get enough of that Hopslam nose.
    I hope everyone finds an IPA (or whatever beer you chose) to celebrate!
    Sorry I missed it. I had a New Belgium Tripel.