Page 15 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725651155151015 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymmm, beer

I think I am getting extremely close to a milestone and new title here...

ymmm, beer

keep scrolling down-this is simply gratuitous PW'ing. the next one will be a legitimate post and a warning of a beer to avoid, unless you like bland offerings.

ymmm, beer...

Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale-A very inviting name implying just as it sounds-an ale aged on bourbon barrels with vanilla beans. Weellll, this one is weak, though it weighs in at 6% ABV. The taste/aroma of bourbon is extremely faint and the taste/aroma of vanilla is almost as weak. It has a fair amber ale base but pales in comparison to several other cask-conditioned/aged stouts/porters/ales that are micro-brewed(hint there). The Avery and Weyerbacher products are far superior(paging Ohioguy, SlimSlowSlider and RockyMtnDevil). This is at least an attempt by a massive brewer(another hint) to market a micro. This beverage is brewed by none other than...

(keep scrolling)

Anheuser-Busch

lame

and with this post, I think I have attained the new status(I hope) of...

Smile English ales and Scrumpy cider: delicious!

For those traveling to England, you may wish to try the delicious local ales at a pub about 1 minute from my office at Cambridge University. The pub is the Anchor right on the Cam River. It serves delicious locally brewed ales(not pasteurized) like Bombadier.The alcoholic content is posted(and quite high),so be careful!Other excellent ales are Badger's Tanglefoot ,Old Hooky,and Everards Tiger---but these are available at only a few pubs. Local English ales do not travel well.This fact allows many discoveries in different parts of England.
    One drink to try(as long as you have a designated driver) is a Cornish apple cider called Scrumpy.A number of friends who visited (most of whom had high tolerances for alcohol) tried Scrumpy because it had a reputation which was well-deserved : Allegedly, no one could drink 3 pints of it and then stand up.The cider did something to the feelings in the legs,as I witnessed several friends drink the 3 pints(de rigueur) and fall down as they tried to stand.
    Best regards.Professor of ethics

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    For those traveling to England, you may wish to try the delicious local ales at a pub about 1 minute from my office at Cambridge University. The pub is the Anchor right on the Cam River. It serves delicious locally brewed ales(not pasteurized) like Bombadier.The alcoholic content is posted(and quite high),so be careful!Other excellent ales are Badger's Tanglefoot ,Old Hooky,and Everards Tiger---but these are available at only a few pubs. Local English ales do not travel well.This fact allows many discoveries in different parts of England.
    One drink to try(as long as you have a designated driver) is a Cornish apple cider called Scrumpy.A number of friends who visited (most of whom had high tolerances for alcohol) tried Scrumpy because it had a reputation which was well-deserved : Allegedly, no one could drink 3 pints of it and then stand up.The cider did something to the feelings in the legs,as I witnessed several friends drink the 3 pints(de rigueur) and fall down as they tried to stand.
    Best regards.Professor of ethics
    Obviously, from this post, not a professor of English!

Thumbs up After 3 pints of ale or Scrumpy,many unfamiliar tongues are uttered!

Indoor--- ----You are prescient! Indeed,a person is likely to forget English after 3 or more pints. As a consequence,the "new" languages and dreams often are provocative.
    Best regards.

Beer Review

Tried the "Perseus Porter" from Seattle's Elysian Brewing Co. last night while viewing the game.

While I wouldn't turn down another pint offered to me, I have to say I've enjoyed other porters much more. This one was a little overcarbonated and sharp for my tastes; I like darker beers to be a little smoother and easier drinking. The flavor was nice, though -- a bit of caramel; and very robust, a good quality mouthfeel.

I may have to find the brewpub and try their other offerings. Anyone here is welcome to join me!

Smile England, England, England

My favorite bitters was in a small pub in Chester, England. Can't remember the name, but just dynamite!

My second favorite beer in England was one by Highbury right after Arsenal beat Southampton 3-1. That was a showdown between Dennis Bergkamp and Matt Letiss. IIRC, the beer was a mellow Pale Ale, but the company and setting was fantastic.

Note to DevilAlumna: Thanks for the tip last night. 3 solid pages before the Pumpkin Ale's alcohol content overwhelmed me.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

My lovely wife and I ate at a Pacific Grill tonight (probably a chain, but a neat place to eat). They had Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on tap. It went great with the chicken and shrimp dish I created. First time I have had this beer on tap, I will be looking for it now.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    My lovely wife and I ate at a Pacific Grill tonight (probably a chain, but a neat place to eat). They had Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on tap. It went great with the chicken and shrimp dish I created. First time I have had this beer on tap, I will be looking for it now.
    Thanks for reviving the thread. The L'kugel assortment is not a bad group of brews. I think I had 1 of these at Sati's with OZZIE recently and found it refreshing and citrus-like. I am finishing off a Beers of America porter now from a gift pack I received for Christmas. Rather bland and lacking the chocolatey overtones I expect from a porter.

ymmm, beer

mediocre beer alert here: Warsteiner Dunkel-basically a dark lager(not a black lager) with a very mild caramel taste

next up: Brooklyn Brewery Winter Ale

ymm, beer

2nd entry: Brooklyn Winter Ale- A nice improvement over the Warsteiner offering. This moderately dark winter ale is mildly hoppy but a dark caramel taste and aroma with a very mild hint of chocolate malt enters the palate. A bit spicy at the beginning but very pleasant at the end of an evening. I think Tilly will like this one in exchange for a Black Chocolate Stout(along with several other choices from the winter beer/ale stash)

ymmm, beer

celebrating today's delightful triple feature with a Schlafly's Christmas Ale. An amber flavored with orange peel and cloves. A very enjoyable beverage on a cold, snowy eve in Raleigh that featured an ncsu win in OT, a Tar Heel loss at home, and of course, A Blue Devil win over the tiggers.

I think Lavabe is going to be shocked by this, but I have never really had beer. I've had a couple sips of things, but nothing big at all. I've followed this thread a little and was curious as to what you guys would say is a good beer to start with.

Smile No one great beer

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I think Lavabe is going to be shocked by this, but I have never really had beer. I've had a couple sips of things, but nothing big at all. I've followed this thread a little and was curious as to what you guys would say is a good beer to start with.
    It depends on your taste buds. I know, it's a silly response, but I will not begrudge Ozzie's beer tastes, vs. devildeac's vs. throaty's vs. wilson's vs. ophioguy's vs. anyone's. Most days I agree with devildeac; other days, as is the case with Schlafly's Christmas Ale, I differ. My tastes vary seasonally, whether or not I want something to bring out the taste of a great meal, or if I'm discussing Duke Basketball w/EarlJam or Wilson.

At this colder time of the year, I enjoy sampling the porters and stouts. At other times, I'll go with seasonals. I can always be convinced to try a Belgian at the BrickStorePub. It all depends.

Perhaps a good starter is to try a pub with decent food. I could really get into a Guiness as a first beer. Ask the pub server what on the menu would go well with it. Sometimes I like a Guiness with the right cheese or the right stew. It depends. I think if you try a drink by pairing it with the right food, you'll appreciate more some of the bitter taste out there. There are some days when a fish 'n' chips, w/malt vinegar, and the right ale is pure perfection. The Sweetwater 420 paired with Shrimp 'n' grits at Frankies (w/EarlJam watching a game) is right up there. A Brooklyn Brewery brew w/devildeac talking about our kids is up there too. Other days, that Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale or the New Belgium Fat Tire fits the bill.

Unless I am at a party, trying out a new brew, I generally limit what I have to maybe two specialty beers a week, if that much. I tend to savor the tastes more that way.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Lavabe,

Good summary and thought process. A good way to learn new beers is to have your own beer tasting with friends where everyone invited is 'required' to bring a new beer not named bud/miller/coors to the party and start tasting. Have plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and snack foods also to slow the absorption process and to 'cleanse' the palate between samplings. Give out awards(more beer, of course, to take home), for the best beer, worst beer, best/worst named beer. That way, no one invests in a 6er, finds out they hate that taste for one reason or another and is stuck with the remainder of the bottles until carolina returns from he!!. Go to local beer festivals and sample various offerings which can be local and national brewers who have brought their hand-crafted specialties to promote their products. Another way to sample is to locate your favorite retailer and buy singles and sample various breweries and their different styles of beers.

Of course, once you have done several of the above, you will be expected to be a regular contributor to this thread and over the next year or 10, this thread will become 'the longest thread ever', far surpassing the random thread with that name already .

ymm, beer

Decisions, decisions. Tonight's beverage. Should I have a Young's Chocolate Stout delivered by Tilly this afternoon(thanks!). Or, should I have one from the Fort Collins Brewery which includes Fat Tire(already discussed on this thread), Tripple or 2 Below, their winter offering. No wise cracks here, like have one of each. I think it will be the Young's as I have not had one of those in several years. Plus, Tilly is waiting for a review. I will probably nibble on some frozen peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough with it for my dessert later this evening. You don't actually think I am going to bake the stuff, do you?

We are leaving for Durham sunday, arriving Monday for the Tenn. game. This brings up the following questions, somewhat beer related.

1) We have time to kill--although I am familiar with the area, that familiarity is ancient--therefore "where to go, what to do" is the first question. We will be in town for seven days, three bb games.
    2) Where to watch the Super Bowl --preferably close to the hospital area--do not want to drive too far. (beer related)
    3) Any new or old favorite places to eat and drink--where we could watch the men's games on TV (assuming we do not find tickets on the sidewalk .
    BTW, the beer party idea is close to our new year's party format, only more structured--good plan.

b-ball and beer trip

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    We are leaving for Durham sunday, arriving Monday for the Tenn. game. This brings up the following questions, somewhat beer related.

1) We have time to kill--although I am familiar with the area, that familiarity is ancient--therefore "where to go, what to do" is the first question. We will be in town for seven days, three bb games.
    2) Where to watch the Super Bowl --preferably close to the hospital area--do not want to drive too far. (beer related)
    3) Any new or old favorite places to eat and drink--where we could watch the men's games on TV (assuming we do not find tickets on the sidewalk .
    BTW, the beer party idea is close to our new year's party format, only more structured--good plan.
    1. Satisfaction or Devine's on Main St.-old Duke haunts. OR, Carolina Ale House on 15-501 business near the old site for South Square Mall. Or the
    Bryan Center-heard they have some nice micros in bottles/draft.
    2. Maybe the same as #1
    3. Thanks. Something borrowed, something blue... I combined your idea with an invite I had in November for a private party/beer tasting where you had to bring a 6er of a beer(or a mixed 6er) that was NOT on ther host's/hostess' list of about 700 previously tasted brews and they gave out awards for best/worst tasting, most new beers, best label/name, etc. We were OOT so I could not go but one of the beers I selected finished 2nd to the host's 'best' beer of the evening. My friend said his/my beer was better and he/we lost on 'politics' 'cuz it was the host's final decision...

ymmm, beer

sorry this is a day late.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout-thanks Tilly! This is as good as I remember, not having enjoyed one in several years. Tilly traded me 2 cans of this one and 3 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts for an assortment from my beer cellar, err, garage. The Young's is pretty much as Tilly described to me via her sales clerk-like drinking a chocolate bar. It has a pellet in the can which releases nitrogen(I think) into the beer when poured and imparts a VERY smooth, silky texture and mouth feel. Kinda like a cask-conditioned ale. It resembles more of a dark chocolate than a milk chocolate and has very little bitterness. At about 5% ABV, it ranks somewhat low on the alcohol scale but that is fine as this beverage is very enjoyable being sipped over an hour or so as it slowly warms to near room temperature and releases different tastes and aromas. Enjoy 1 tomorrow night with a chocolate chip cookie or two or a brownie.