Page 1432 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 432932133213821422143014311432143314341442148215321932 ... LastLast
Results 28,621 to 28,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I see I answered your question before I even knew you asked it with my above post .
    It's deja vu all over again...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Oh lawd, you gotta make things complicated..

I dislike the Hokies less now that Uncle Fester isn't their coach. His whining every March about just missing the tournament despite the weakest schedule on the Eastern Seaboard made me retch a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'm fine with VTech other than Deron Washington. We'll just have to set that one aside.

Other than that, beautiful part of the state and have some good friends who are alum. One of my cousin's kids just finished up there too IIRC.

Liked Bud Foster and Frank Beamer. Liked Buzz Williams. Uncle Fester doesn't really bother me but I did have to laugh at his eternal bubblepoppingness every March (sorry).
    As a grad, even I didn't really like Uncle Fester. Foster and Beamer are VT Legends, don't ever get caught disparaging... Buzz was OK, but I really like Mike Young and I'm really looking forward to see what he can do with the program. I love that he is a local boy, grew up right next door to Blacksburg.

But... I was a Duke/K fan long before I ended up at VT (OK, 5/6 years before) so I'm a Hokie right up until they play Duke in basketball.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    As a grad, even I didn't really like Uncle Fester. Foster and Beamer are VT Legends, don't ever get caught disparaging... Buzz was OK, but I really like Mike Young and I'm really looking forward to see what he can do with the program. I love that he is a local boy, grew up right next door to Blacksburg.

But... I was a Duke/K fan long before I ended up at VT (OK, 5/6 years before) so I'm a Hokie right up until they play Duke in basketball.
    I *guess* I can tell this story here:

Setting-at a social dance after Thanksgiving as I'm dancing with one of the single ladies in attendance (it's allowed, even encouraged, trust me)

dd-"How was your Thanksgiving?"
    Mary (not real name)-"It was fun. Most of my family visited my brother in Blacksburg."
    dd-"Is he a VT fan?"
    Mary-"Yes, he is and my father went to VT, too."
    dd-"Where did you attend college?
    Mary-"JMU."
    dd-"I hesitate asking but what do you and your family think of UVa?
    Mary-"We all despise UVa!"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I *guess* I can tell this story here:

Setting-at a social dance after Thanksgiving as I'm dancing with one of the single ladies in attendance (it's allowed, even encouraged, trust me)

dd-"How was your Thanksgiving?"
    Mary (not real name)-"It was fun. Most of my family visited my brother in Blacksburg."
    dd-"Is he a VT fan?"
    Mary-"Yes, he is and my father went to VT, too."
    dd-"Where did you attend college?
    Mary-"JMU."
    dd-"I hesitate asking but what do you and your family think of UVa?
    Mary-"We all despise UVa!"

That's pretty standard. It used to be based more in social/wealth status but it's not as easy as that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    A question that has likely been asked and answered in this thread, but one I will pose again:

What are some of your favorite beers? In this context, favorite beers refers to the time, place, experience you are drinking it. For example: the Friday after work beer.

I think my personal favorite is the pre-vacation airport beer. I always consider my airport beer to be the start of my vacation.
    To revisit my own question (shameless self promotion ), another personal favorite is the post lawn mowing beer. Generally enjoyed on a hot summer day. That first cool drink is beautiful.

Done with work for the day and cracked a Zombie Dust. Meeting some friends this evening for trivia and drinks. Leave early tomorrow for Olympic National Park. Hoping to find a few new Washington beers on the trip.

Done with work for the day and cracked a Zombie Dust. Meeting some friends this evening for trivia and drinks. Leave early tomorrow for Olympic National Park. Hoping to find a few new Washington beers on the trip.
    Travel safe!

To revisit my own question (shameless self promotion ), another personal favorite is the post lawn mowing beer. Generally enjoyed on a hot summer day. That first cool drink is beautiful.

I agree, I believe that may be where the term "shower beer" came from - that beer that you drink before and during the shower after working outside on a hot day. If not, I'm totally confused as to what a "shower beer" is...

..."We all despise UVa!"
    I enjoy putting on my cheerfully bemused look when the in-state rivalries are on display in the Commonwealth.

It's not as deeply bred as Duke vs holes but it's very amusing. But, then again, everybody hates Duke so I take great comfort in that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

No doubt about it, the post lawn mowing beer is a fine one indeed, just about as good as it gets, though it rarely lasts long.

For this, I much prefer the glug of a beer in a bottle vs a can. Glug matters.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No doubt about it, the post lawn mowing beer is a fine one indeed, just about as good as it gets, though it rarely lasts long.

May I borrow this phrase?
    I nearly fell out of my chair upon reading, “Glug matters.” 🤣🤣🤣

That's pretty standard. It used to be based more in social/wealth status but it's not as easy as that anymore.
    Interesting. Here in NC we try to keep it relatively simple as three members of the "Big Four" all hate the lying, cheating, dirty, rotten bastards from "u"nc, well, just because...

Bucket list item there.

I can't help you too much with WA brews as I'm spending extra research time on Oregon beers for Oh, No, Not Petway. A recent and lightly-experienced topic for me.

I've always wanted to try that one.

I agree, I believe that may be where the term "shower beer" came from - that beer that you drink before and during the shower after working outside on a hot day. If not, I'm totally confused as to what a "shower beer" is...
    I believe *this* is what a "shower beer" is:

https://www.brewdog.com/usa/locations/hotels/doghouse

"And did we mention the Shower Beer Fridge?"

Sorry, couldn't find a suitable photo .

This is a real place as our son, his wife and their toddler had a 30th birthday party for a family member here last fall !

Olympic NP is a stunning one. Top five for me.

Grand Canyon
    Glacier
    Acadia
    Yellowstone
    Zion

Okay, top six. No order.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Well, what's your favorite lawn-mowing beer? Couldn't possibly be one of those 8% ABV Heady Toppers? Or could it?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I've always wanted to try that one.
    We have plans to pass through the great state of Indiana next month. How many ya want?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Olympic NP is a stunning one. Top five for me.

Grand Canyon
    Glacier
    Acadia
    Yellowstone
    Zion

Okay, top six. No order.
    Hey, three outta six for me! Better than I do with most beer "menus," err, lists. The remaining three will be covered shortly after retirement.

From last PM with apologies to fuse for being a day late and a dollar or two short to celebrate Virtual Pub's first anniversary:

That Fish Cray-Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company

(possibly reviewed before and, if so, credit to the original purchaser/s)

Credit-a 4 pack to be used for sipping and trading at the right price from Total Wine
    Style-NEIPA
    Format-pint can; about $3
    Glassware-boring pint glass
    Appearance-pineapple orange juice; foamy head
    Nose-citrus and tropical
    Mouthfeel-juicy
    Taste-pineapple/grapefruit/orange juice light with a splash o mango and a drop or two of pith
    IBU-oh, maybe 45
    ABV-7%
    Overall impression-solid effort; good pairing with a fancy salad with chicken and berries and apples
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid/upper cat 2; happy to taste and happy to share; at this point, I think WMB>FF, though "sample size is still small"