Page 139 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39891291371381391401411491892396391139 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Devildeac-

Thanks for the compliment, right back at ya!
    I will sheepishly admit I have an embarrassment of riches in terms of beers I've collected.

It would be boring to roll through them all but some of them include a 1993 Thomas Hardy ( which is probably past it's prime), and I think I still have one or two Sam Adams 1994 Triple Bocks left ( which have always been awful, like a mix of soy sauce and maple syrup). My crown jewel might be a 1996 Sam Adams Longshot Hazelnut Brown which is likely not drinkable but one of my favorites.

Throw in handful of aging Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) of various vintages and some aging DFHs, I actually need to do a better job of buying session beers.

I have one last 09 Hopslam, one or two 2010s, some 2011s and 2012s, I need to find a few folks do do a vertical tasting with- four 10% 12oz beers is just too much in one sitting :-)

-g

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Devildeac-

Thanks for the compliment, right back at ya!
    I will sheepishly admit I have an embarrassment of riches in terms of beers I've collected.

It would be boring to roll through them all but some of them include a 1993 Thomas Hardy ( which is probably past it's prime), and I think I still have one or two Sam Adams 1994 Triple Bocks left ( which have always been awful, like a mix of soy sauce and maple syrup). My crown jewel might be a 1996 Sam Adams Longshot Hazelnut Brown which is likely not drinkable but one of my favorites.

Throw in handful of aging Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) of various vintages and some aging DFHs, I actually need to do a better job of buying session beers.

I have one last 09 Hopslam, one or two 2010s, some 2011s and 2012s, I need to find a few folks do do a vertical tasting with- four 10% 12oz beers is just too much in one sitting :-)

-g
    Haven't had a Thomas Hardy for a decade or more. I actually liked the SA Triple Bock. The last one I drank was about 10 years ago and probably 7-8 years old and I had it stored on its side like a bottle of red wine. Had to chip the cork out and strain all the particles out before I could drink it. And I remember the SA Hazlenut Brown Ale. Why they never made that a regular is beyond me. I have Bigfooties back to about 2006, several Worldwide Stouts from several years ago, along with several 120 Minute IPAs, Monsters back to 2005 or 2006 and some Samichlauses about the same age. Some Burton Batons and Raison d'Extras are hidden in those boxes, too. I can't manage more than one high gravity ale in an evening much any more. I have a couple folks I trade session brews with so that keeps me honest. Vertical tastings are fascinating. I think we have had a couple at our house in Christmas past.

Hop Stoopid is in the pint glass right now. I had a 2009 Old Foghorn Thursday night I need to review also.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Here's another review of another of the 30th Anniversary Ales from Sierra Nevada:

Charlie, Fred and Ken's Imperial Helles Bock-30th Anniversary Ale-Sierra Nevada

This is the 2nd in their anniversary series with another scheduled to be released mid-July this year but no sight of it yet in this area. The 1st was an imperial stout and this is a much lighter offering with an estimated IBU in the 20-30 range but with a nice floral hoppy aroma and taste. The toasty, biscuity flavors and aromas dominate however in this slightly cloudy and sweet, toffee-caramel flavored double/imperial bock. It comes in a caged and corked 750 ml bottle worthy of sharing, which I did last evening with CLD and dukediv2012 to celebrate her return from Uganda on Thursday. It made a very nice nightcap but would also be good with lighter grilled entrees, especially some pork tenderloin. CB&B got one of these last month IIRC so I'd be interested in his thoughts, too.

Fuse mentioned Old Foghorn in one of his posts recently and I unearthed this review from April 17, 2010, shortly after I found a 6er of these and enjoyed a celebratory brew a couple weeks after our National Championship:

Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale-Anchor Brewing-Delicious. One of the early, if not original, US barleywines. Lotsa floral hops in the nose and upfront taste but the cloying sweetness of massive amounts of malts rule the day here. Cascade hops are used exclusively in the process and are added twice, with the second dose being "dry-hopping." Pours a reddish-whiskey color with a moderately foamy head. I'd guess the IBU in the 80 range and the ABV is up from the last time I bought this several years ago. Old ABV were always about 8.9% and this year's is 9.4%. This would stand up to just about any fire/spice you'd like to put in an entree but is traditionally served as an after dinner/dessert drink in a wide-mouthed glass, just as you would a port or sherry. Many barleywines are "rough" when first released and will "smooth out" as they age for several years. They will take on different characteristics/tastes of smoke, whiskey, rum, dark fruits, tobacco and others as the initial hop "attack" mellows. This one is as smooth as a Bill Clinton apology (not original) from your first sip. I remember paying ~$15 for a 6er of 7 ounce bottles a decade or so ago when I first tried this. At that price, I didn't buy it very often either . The 6ers now are 12 ounce bottles and are about the same price. I like that. Almost twice as much ale for the same price as about a decade ago .

4728.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Fuse mentioned Old Foghorn in one of his posts recently and I unearthed this review from April 17, 2010, shortly after I found a 6er of these and enjoyed a celebratory brew a couple weeks after our National Championship:

Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale-Anchor Brewing-Delicious. One of the early, if not original, US barleywines. Lotsa floral hops in the nose and upfront taste but the cloying sweetness of massive amounts of malts rule the day here. Cascade hops are used exclusively in the process and are added twice, with the second dose being "dry-hopping." Pours a reddish-whiskey color with a moderately foamy head. I'd guess the IBU in the 80 range and the ABV is up from the last time I bought this several years ago. Old ABV were always about 8.9% and this year's is 9.4%. This would stand up to just about any fire/spice you'd like to put in an entree but is traditionally served as an after dinner/dessert drink in a wide-mouthed glass, just as you would a port or sherry. Many barleywines are "rough" when first released and will "smooth out" as they age for several years. They will take on different characteristics/tastes of smoke, whiskey, rum, dark fruits, tobacco and others as the initial hop "attack" mellows. This one is as smooth as a Bill Clinton apology (not original) from your first sip. I remember paying ~$15 for a 6er of 7 ounce bottles a decade or so ago when I first tried this. At that price, I didn't buy it very often either . The 6ers now are 12 ounce bottles and are about the same price. I like that. Almost twice as much ale for the same price as about a decade ago .

4728.jpg
    Old Foghorn (2009 edition)

Aging has mad some minor changes in this traditional barleywine tasted about 3 years after the year on the label. Anchor has some weird coding for the date and month, too, but I have long forgotten that. This is a bit cloudy now but with minimal sediment. It has, as expected, taken on sherry-like aromas, texture and tastes and is even smoother now that originally experienced in 2010. Quite caramel-y to my tasting but very pleasant. Otherwise, most of the above descriptions still apply. I have 1 bottle left from the 6er I bought in 2009 and not sure when I will enjoy that single.

2010 Bell's Winter White Ale

Had a DFH Palo Santo Marron (my last, and I think a 2009) with dinner tonight and felt uninspired to capture my thoughts. A fun, strong different dark beer well worth sampling.

So instead I grabbed a Bell's Winter White from the fridge. Turns out it is a 12/2010 from their batch finder, and this is not a beer designed to be kept that long, although this has been in the fridge the whole time.

Pours like a pilsner, bright gold and bubbly. A decent short lived head but that may be because it's old. Nose is a delightful straw and mown grass.

If you don't like wheat beers, this is not the beer for you. Crisp and clean up front, good mouthfeel with mild bitterness, and the expected wheat beer dry finish. An unusual winter style, this is quite refreshing and well done. It's not as light as a hefeweizen, although at 5% this is a very sessionable beer.

Bell's indicates there are no spices in this brew, but there are definitely some spicy notes. Again, not a banana esther overtone of a hefe, but maybe a bit of clove, or possibly faint cinnamon or nutmeg.

Bell's makes some outstanding beers, and Winter White is among them.

Hop Stoopid-Lagunita Brewing

Tropicana grapefruit juice with caramel flavoring. That's meant to be descriptive, too, not derogatory. This was a bomber I split over a couple nights this weekend that I received as a gift from one of the drug reps that visits my office. I'll replace it at some point for him but it's a grocery store beer (Harris Teeter) and that's not a bad thing either because it was $5 for a 102 IBU hop bomb at 8% ABV. The hops are not overpowering at this level as they are well-balanced with caramel malts and lots of them. The high gravity falls a bit short of the standard IIPA but this is a good quality product. The pour was an slightly hazy, orange-yellow with a 2 fingered foamy head. Some piney notes are present in the hop profile, too. This would be a fine ale to have with Indian or moderately hot Chinese food and would be fine with BBQ fare, too. I have not been an ardent Lagunitas fan but sampling several of their ales this fall and winter have swayed my opinion.

69933.jpg

Had a DFH Palo Santo Marron (my last, and I think a 2009) with dinner tonight and felt uninspired to capture my thoughts. A fun, strong different dark beer well worth sampling.

So instead I grabbed a Bell's Winter White from the fridge. Turns out it is a 12/2010 from their batch finder, and this is not a beer designed to be kept that long, although this has been in the fridge the whole time.

Pours like a pilsner, bright gold and bubbly. A decent short lived head but that may be because it's old. Nose is a delightful straw and mown grass.

If you don't like wheat beers, this is not the beer for you. Crisp and clean up front, good mouthfeel with mild bitterness, and the expected wheat beer dry finish. An unusual winter style, this is quite refreshing and well done. It's not as light as a hefeweizen, although at 5% this is a very sessionable beer.

Bell's indicates there are no spices in this brew, but there are definitely some spicy notes. Again, not a banana esther overtone of a hefe, but maybe a bit of clove, or possibly faint cinnamon or nutmeg.

Bell's makes some outstanding beers, and Winter White is among them.
    From 8/22/09:

Palo Santo Marron-aged about 6-8 months-I woulda waited a year or more but I got "bluebeared" by this one and couldn't wait. In fact, I had 2 left from this winter and drank them both (on consecutive nights, BTW, as they are 12% ABV ). I believe this is even smoother now. This is an unfiltered brown ale that pours a dark, clear brown and has a modest head that is retained for a bit, unlike many other high gravity brews. It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback. Pull one of these from your 'fridge and let it sit on the counter before decanting into a pint glass or a snifter. This would be a great dessert by itself, with anything chocolate or as a beverage with a dinner of anything spicy or BBQ'd. Rmd mentioned this in the past, but this is now a year round offering so I will ALWAYS have one or two of these in the "cellar" for personal or shared enjoyment.

I don't have any left from 2009 but did find a 4 pack of this last fall and have 3 left now. Probably one of my top 5-10 beers.

Hop Stoopid-Lagunita Brewing

Tropicana grapefruit juice with caramel flavoring. That's meant to be descriptive, too, not derogatory. This was a bomber I split over a couple nights this weekend that I received as a gift from one of the drug reps that visits my office. I'll replace it at some point for him but it's a grocery store beer (Harris Teeter) and that's not a bad thing either because it was $5 for a 102 IBU hop bomb at 8% ABV. The hops are not overpowering at this level as they are well-balanced with caramel malts and lots of them. The high gravity falls a bit short of the standard IIPA but this is a good quality product. The pour was an slightly hazy, orange-yellow with a 2 fingered foamy head. Some piney notes are present in the hop profile, too. This would be a fine ale to have with Indian or moderately hot Chinese food and would be fine with BBQ fare, too. I have not been an ardent Lagunitas fan but sampling several of their ales this fall and winter have swayed my opinion.

69933.jpg
    Been about a year since I tried Hop Stoopid. I like Lagunitas beers. To me, the one I tried felt like a "rushed entry" to have a double/imperial IPA in the lineup. I like a beer with hops, but I seem to recall Hop Stoopid being even more unbalanced than your typical IPA in the "most IBUs in a bottle" arms race.
    Not sure I'd try it again. Its a different price point but Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum was much more enjoyable for a similar style, as are Sierra Nevada's Harvest and Estate ales.

Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot

In this day of texting, how can you not try a beer called WTF?

Labelled by Lagunitas as a "malty, robust jobless recovery ale", it pours a deep amber. Not surprisingly then the nose is all sugary malt and alcohol. Just a hint of floral notes that increase slightly as the beer warms in the glass.

For a 64 IBU beer, this is very smooth up front with a transition to a bitter hop finish, all piney and a bit of citrus at the end.

I used to really enjoy brown ales, and WTF is a brown ale that brings back fond memories of Newcastle and Pete's Wicked Ale. This is not to say these are stylistically similar. Not to take anything away from Lone Rider Sweet Josie ( a local NC brown ale ), but if Sweet Josie is the GABF gold medal winning brown ale, then the category itself is a shadow of what it once was. Incidentally, you won't find Pete's Wicked any longer, they chose to close their business as of March of last year. Pretty sad end to a brew that was in the top 50 in sales by volume in 2004.

I'm sure it's a tainted memory but as I drink the WTF (7.8%) I am picturing it as a " big brother" (heir apparent?) to Pete's (5.3%).

Lagunitas makes some outstanding beers, and WTF is a seasonal not to miss.

Been about a year since I tried Hop Stoopid. I like Lagunitas beers. To me, the one I tried felt like a "rushed entry" to have a double/imperial IPA in the lineup. I like a beer with hops, but I seem to recall Hop Stoopid being even more unbalanced than your typical IPA in the "most IBUs in a bottle" arms race.
    Not sure I'd try it again. Its a different price point but Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum was much more enjoyable for a similar style, as are Sierra Nevada's Harvest and Estate ales.
    Was this one of the SN ales to which you were referring?

(from 7/28/11)

Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Brewer's notes first to explain the product:

Our newest addition to our Harvest family is Southern Hemisphere Harvest. This is the first time we know of that an American brewer has put out a beer with fresh-picked hops from the southern hemisphere. The inaugural ale will debut in late April and will feature fresh Pacific Hallertau, New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross hops, all from New Zealand.

Like our Celebration Ale, the fresh hops in this beer are dried right after being picked then shipped immediately to Chico for brewing so that they retain their peak aromatics and flavors. To ensure the freshest hops possible, we went to the added expense of flying these hops from New Zealand to Chico so we could brew with them the week after they were picked.

alcohol content 6.7% by volume malts Pale & Caramel
    beginning gravity 14.7 Plato yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
    ending gravity 3.9 Plato bittering hops Pacific Halertau
    bitterness units 66 finishing hops New Zealand Motueka & New Zealand Southern Cross

Tasting thoughts:

Basically, this is an IPA, just like their winter offering, Celebration Ale, but a bit smoother. The pour is golden and the head is 1-2 fingers and foamy. The aroma and taste of the hops are resin and pine with a hint of citrus. The balance with the malts is nicely done with a hint of light to medium caramel sweetness. The texture is not oily like a fresh hop ale but crisp and clean. I would enjoy this with anything from BBQ chicken, pork loin, ribs, brisket to curried Indian food. It is packaged in a 24 ounce bottle which is a bit strange so I divided it over two nights earlier this week. IIRC, it was $6 for the bottle which is a reasonable cost for a specialty ale like this. I only bought one so my son and CB&B are SOL with this one.

Or this one?

(from 1/29/11)

Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop Ale-Sierra Nevada

I'll let the brewer explain first:

The cornerstone of our Harvest series is the beer that started the modern-day fresh hop ale phenomenon in America, our original Harvest Ale.

Created in 1996, Harvest Ale features Cascade and Centennial hops from the Yakima Valley in Eastern Washington. These hops are harvested and shipped as “wet” un-dried hops—the same day they are picked—to our brewery in Chico where our brewers eagerly wait to get them into the brew kettle while their oils and resins are still at their peak

alcohol content 6.7% by volume malts Two-row Pale & Caramel
    beginning gravity 16.5 Plato yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
    ending gravity 4.0 Plato bittering hops Centennial
    bitterness units 60-65 finishing hops Cascade & Centennia

Now, it's my turn. This is the 3rd wet hop ale I have ever tasted and it is a great concept and product. The 1st may have been Southern Hemisphere from Sierra Nevada also. The 2nd was So Fresh, So Green Green from Terrapin, but that was only a 1-2 ounce taster from Tyler's when the server brought the wrong 1st beer so I got a free sample but didn't review it. I gotta buy a bomber of it. This one has a pungent, citrus-laced nose and a slightly oily, resin/citrus blend taste. The color is golden and the head is foamy and lingered thoughout the 12 ounces I had with dinner and again for the closer for the evening. As I mentioned in the dinner thread, tonight's dinner was pretty simple but this ale would pair well with curry or spicy grilled fare, too. CB&B found this in Blacksburg and was a trader last month. An excellent find.

Now I gotta go out and find a bottle of the Hoptimum that bluebeer liked so much...

Or both of the above?
    Last edited by devildeac; 03-06-2012 at 10:45 PM.

In this day of texting, how can you not try a beer called WTF?

Labelled by Lagunitas as a "malty, robust jobless recovery ale", it pours a deep amber. Not surprisingly then the nose is all sugary malt and alcohol. Just a hint of floral notes that increase slightly as the beer warms in the glass.

For a 64 IBU beer, this is very smooth up front with a transition to a bitter hop finish, all piney and a bit of citrus at the end.

I used to really enjoy brown ales, and WTF is a brown ale that brings back fond memories of Newcastle and Pete's Wicked Ale. This is not to say these are stylistically similar. Not to take anything away from Lone Rider Sweet Josie ( a local NC brown ale ), but if Sweet Josie is the GABF gold medal winning brown ale, then the category itself is a shadow of what it once was. Incidentally, you won't find Pete's Wicked any longer, they chose to close their business as of March of last year. Pretty sad end to a brew that was in the top 50 in sales by volume in 2004.

I'm sure it's a tainted memory but as I drink the WTF (7.8%) I am picturing it as a " big brother" (heir apparent?) to Pete's (5.3%).

Lagunitas makes some outstanding beers, and WTF is a seasonal not to miss.
    I enjoyed a bomber of this and reviewed it on 5/23/11:

Wilco, Tango, Foxtrot-Lagunitas Brewing

Rather interesting brew, probably best labeled as an imperial brown IPA. Why? Well, it is a clear brown color but has the piney/resinous bite of an IPA. The IBU are 64.2 (yes, it is on the bottle) which is high for a brown ale but in range for an IPA. The ABV is a bit high for either a brown ale or an IPA, which is why I characterized it as an IBIPA @-) . Sold as a bomber at $4.50 at our neighborhood Harris-Teeter, I found this to be quite worth the price, especially dividing it over 2 nights. It would make a nice beverage with stews, hearty soups, BBQ pork/chicken/beef or with burgers and brats. A few brewer's notes follow:

This Beer was Supposed to Follow Up the 2009 Correction Ale with the Name ‘2010 Recovery Ale’, And Here in 2011 it STILL Doesn’t Look Like We’ll Be There Anytime Soon. Wonderin & wonderin’.... WTF?

Wilco
    Tango
    Foxtrot
    24.gif

Or this one?

(from 1/29/11)

Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop Ale-Sierra Nevada

I'll let the brewer explain first:

The cornerstone of our Harvest series is the beer that started the modern-day fresh hop ale phenomenon in America, our original Harvest Ale.

Created in 1996, Harvest Ale features Cascade and Centennial hops from the Yakima Valley in Eastern Washington. These hops are harvested and shipped as “wet” un-dried hops—the same day they are picked—to our brewery in Chico where our brewers eagerly wait to get them into the brew kettle while their oils and resins are still at their peak

alcohol content 6.7% by volume malts Two-row Pale & Caramel
    beginning gravity 16.5 Plato yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
    ending gravity 4.0 Plato bittering hops Centennial
    bitterness units 60-65 finishing hops Cascade & Centennia

Now, it's my turn. This is the 3rd wet hop ale I have ever tasted and it is a great concept and product. The 1st may have been Southern Hemisphere from Sierra Nevada also. The 2nd was So Fresh, So Green Green from Terrapin, but that was only a 1-2 ounce taster from Tyler's when the server brought the wrong 1st beer so I got a free sample but didn't review it. I gotta buy a bomber of it. This one has a pungent, citrus-laced nose and a slightly oily, resin/citrus blend taste. The color is golden and the head is foamy and lingered thoughout the 12 ounces I had with dinner and again for the closer for the evening. As I mentioned in the dinner thread, tonight's dinner was pretty simple but this ale would pair well with curry or spicy grilled fare, too. CB&B found this in Blacksburg and was a trader last month. An excellent find.

Now I gotta go out and find a bottle of the Hoptimum that bluebeer liked so much...

Or both of the above?
    I was referring to both.
    Sam's announced Hoptimum 4 packs yesterday (no bombers this year) but I've not been to pick any up.
    I've got one bomber left from last year, its a tasty drop for sure.

I was referring to both.
    Sam's announced Hoptimum 4 packs yesterday (no bombers this year) but I've not been to pick any up.
    Hmmm...

My daughter works in Derm so I'll have her check after work today.

I was referring to both.
    Hmmm...

My daughter works in Derm so I'll have her check after work today.
    My dear, sweet daughter procured a 4 pack for me (she still has my credit card) from Sam's on her way home from work. It was $10 and she will deliver it Satuday. Wanna trade one?

38.gif

I divided my 2nd bomber of this over the last 2 nights and it reminded me of my review from November, 2011:

Unearthly-Southern Tier

They were correct on their label when they stated "most aggressive." This is one heavily hopped brew and I'd guess easily 100 IBU or more. However, the incredible malt backbone with caramel and toffee-like flavors achieves a nice balance to the herbal and piney aromas from the Chinook, Centennial. Cascade and Styrian Golding varieties used in the 3 tiered hopping/brewing process. ABV is high at 9.5%. I was a bit surprised to see red wheat listed as one of the grains but it makes sense now as the rich copper color is slightly tinged with red and orange and it is a bit cloudy to pour with a hint of citrus on the palate. Enjoy this in a snifter for your nightcap or with some curry (not named Seth) or spicy Chinese food.

Epic Brewing Elder Brett

Whew! Even when I popped the cap, it hit me.

This beer has a nose full of funk- the good, Brett kind. The pungent, sour aroma is telling me I am going to enjoy this one. In the glass it almost resembles Mountain Dew, bubbly like the soda and while not quite neon green, it is definitely a strange shade, perhaps a cloudy golden pilsner in the right light.

The first sip is a surprise- pretty watery and thin for an 8.8% brew. The fun is all in the finish, from the slight hoppy bitterness followed by the Brett sour ending in a smooth oak ending.

It turns out Epic's Elder Brett is a collaboration brew with Crooked Stave Brewing, a brewer I am not familiar with. Stylistically this is labeled a saison Brett. Saison is one of the styles I really enjoy. As a limited edition of Epic's Exponential Series, this bottle is one of "only a few thousand" and is part of release #1.

This was aged in French oak white wine barrels previously used for Epic's Brainless on Peaches. The oak is clearly in the finish, and the beer itself is slightly fruity sweet, possibly from the remnants of the barrels' previous resident beer.

This is a fun drop, worth trying if you can. There are other saisons I would rate higher, including Ommegang Hennepin ( a favorite) and Brooklyn Soriachi Ace. Sierra Nevada's Ovila Saison is also quite nice.

My dear, sweet daughter procured a 4 pack for me (she still has my credit card) from Sam's on her way home from work. It was $10 and she will deliver it Satuday. Wanna trade one?

38.gif
    I may be swinging by Sam's tomorrow to get some. In the event that doesn't work out, let's chat. Always open for trades or hanging out over a shared beer. I keep trying to find people with New Glarus, Three Floyd's or Russian River connections. The world is awash in good beer, I wish more of it would make its way to NC!

I may be swinging by Sam's tomorrow to get some. In the event that doesn't work out, let's chat. Always open for trades or hanging out over a shared beer. I keep trying to find people with New Glarus, Three Floyd's or Russian River connections. The world is awash in good beer, I wish more of it would make its way to NC!
    New Glarus-I think about 95% is distributed in Wisconsin, the remaining 5% to Chicago. My BIL took a mixed 6er of Sisters of the Moon stuff to the beer manager at Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kin-tucky, in hopes of him returning from his business trip to Madison with some New Glarus. That was last summer and still no New Glarus but a drug rep has family there and brought back a mixed 6er of session brews a month or so ago.

Three Floyds-I think Total Wine has had them in the past but not sure I have ever had one.

Russian River-I have only tasted Damnation and will be in Colorado next week so I will look for a bottle or two. For some bizarre reason, they list Philadelphia as a site to which they distribute. http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers.

Looks like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada will have breweries in the Asheville area soon.