Page 1345 of 1390 FirstFirst ... 345845124512951335134313441345134613471355 ... LastLast
Results 26,881 to 26,900 of 27797

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #26881
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yep; their space is pretty small and my guess would be very few masks being worn. Not sure if they've taken up growlering or crowlering yet.
    Website said nothing about growlers or crowlers. Masks non-existent.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #26882
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Website said nothing about growlers or crowlers. Masks non-existent.
    Same at this place over Memorial Day weekend: Surf City Crab Seafood Market

    Mrs. dd and I were the only masked folks. Social distancing was also non-existent. At least it was an outdoor market.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #26883
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    What exactly is a baltic porter?

    From the beeradvocate link a couple or three posts above:

    "Porters of the late 1700's were quite strong compared to today's standards, easily surpassing 7 percent alcohol by volume. Some English brewers made a stronger, more robust version, to be shipped across the North Sea that they dubbed a Baltic Porter. In general, the style's dark brown color covered up cloudiness and the smoky, roasted brown malts and bitter tastes masked brewing imperfections. Historically, the addition of stale ale also lent a pleasant acidic flavor to the style, which made it quite popular. These issues were quite important given that most breweries at the time were getting away from pub brewing and opening up production facilities that could ship beer across the world."

    WRT the bolded: .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #26884
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    What exactly is a baltic porter?

    From the beeradvocate link a couple or three posts above:

    "Porters of the late 1700's were quite strong compared to today's standards, easily surpassing 7 percent alcohol by volume. Some English brewers made a stronger, more robust version, to be shipped across the North Sea that they dubbed a Baltic Porter. In general, the style's dark brown color covered up cloudiness and the smoky, roasted brown malts and bitter tastes masked brewing imperfections. Historically, the addition of stale ale also lent a pleasant acidic flavor to the style, which made it quite popular. These issues were quite important given that most breweries at the time were getting away from pub brewing and opening up production facilities that could ship beer across the world."

    WRT the bolded: .
    Even though you are good naturedly trolling, I will take the bait 🙄

    http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Baltic_Porter

    What’s missing from the above, and a frequently missed trivia question is the porter style originated as an ale, and baltic porters are lagers / use lager yeast. The linked article above also notes cold fermenting ale yeast, which I had not heard of prior to reading the article.

  5. #26885
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Even though you are good naturedly trolling, I will take the bait ��

    http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Baltic_Porter

    What’s missing from the above, and a frequently missed trivia question is the porter style originated as an ale, and baltic porters are lagers / use lager yeast. The linked article above also notes cold fermenting ale yeast, which I had not heard of prior to reading the article.
    Me? Trolling? Never!!

    well, perhaps ever so slightly

    You make some excellent points that are edjumacational, too, especially WRT the fact that Baltic porters are lagers. The use of a cold fermenting ale yeast is a bit unusual; lagers are cold fermented ("lagered") with lager yeasts (IIRC). I didn't know cold fermenting ale yeasts existed.

    Posting at 530 AM-ish !
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #26886
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    This one makes the short list for tonight and Friday:

    Thrilling Daydreams IPA - Imperial / Double New England

    • 7.7% ABV

    • Wise Man Brewing



    "Juicy cantaloupe and dried mango are at the forefront of this big IPA's aromatic complement. Each sip is characterized by an unbelievable smoothness, relaxing and comforting, punctuated by the rousing flavors of melon and mango provided by Citra, Mosaic, & Sultana hops. "Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be." - Toni Morrison"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #26887
    New Belgium with a low cal summer time hit?

    https://www.thepuristbeer.com/

  8. #26888
    Beer doesn’t just go with food, it can go in food!
    Who knew? 🤣

    https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...ook-with-beer/

  9. #26889
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    New Belgium with a low cal summer time hit?

    https://www.thepuristbeer.com/
    I'll try this one.

    A lager seems like a more appropriate beer for a low calorie option. Most of the low calorie IPAs I have tried have tasted like hop water (with the exception of OB Oney!).
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
    -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #26890
    I won’t post links as you can easily google and form your own opinion.
    Evil Genius Brewing fired their head brewer over a social media post related to current events.

  11. #26891
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I won’t post links as you can easily google and form your own opinion.
    Evil Genius Brewing fired their head brewer over a social media post related to current events.
    At least he had an interesting handle.

  12. #26892
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I won’t post links as you can easily google and form your own opinion.
    Evil Genius Brewing fired their head brewer over a social media post related to current events.
    Yikes.
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
    -Thomas Jefferson

  13. #26893
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    New Belgium with a low cal summer time hit?

    https://www.thepuristbeer.com/
    Oooh, near beer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  14. #26894
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'll try this one.

    A lager seems like a more appropriate beer for a low calorie option. Most of the low calorie IPAs I have tried have tasted like hop water (with the exception of OB Oney!).
    Did you tell us several weeks ago that NB was releasing this?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #26895
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Southern Pines Brewing Co. BBA Raisin Pecan Chocolate Pie

    Proof that Mrs. Tripping loves me and wants me to be happy. She came home with a four-pack of 16-ounce cans. I had seen this being promoted on social media. Pours dark as night, with a thin mocha head. Big whiff of raisin and booze on the nose. Mouth-watering but “big” on the palate. The sweetness is just to the edge of cloying. Raisin notes throughout. I don’t get much pecan, but there is a little nuttiness to this beer. Solid Cat 3. And a slow sipper at 10+% ABV. Find some if you can (or I *might* be persuaded to part with one, for the right trader ).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  16. #26896
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Did you tell us several weeks ago that NB was releasing this?
    I don't think so...
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
    -Thomas Jefferson

  17. #26897
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Southern Pines Brewing Co. BBA Raisin Pecan Chocolate Pie

    Proof that Mrs. Tripping loves me and wants me to be happy. She came home with a four-pack of 16-ounce cans. I had seen this being promoted on social media. Pours dark as night, with a thin mocha head. Big whiff of raisin and booze on the nose. Mouth-watering but “big” on the palate. The sweetness is just to the edge of cloying. Raisin notes throughout. I don’t get much pecan, but there is a little nuttiness to this beer. Solid Cat 3. And a slow sipper at 10+% ABV. Find some if you can (or I *might* be persuaded to part with one, for the right trader ).
    We'll be passing through W-S next Friday, June 12, probably noonish. We'll return on Sunday, June 14, probably late afternoon. Might do a bit of shopping this weekend and/or early next week before our journey for trading purposes with family and Ymm, Beer readers. Will likely return from our excursion with a few mid-Atlantic specialties. After all, I am a father and was born several decades ago...

    And, that dessert beer does sound delectable, too .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #26898
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I don't think so...
    I was mistaken then. Ask my wife; wouldn't be the first time (today) and it sure as heck won't be the last time (this hour).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  19. #26899
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Ok, anyone ever tasted/reviewed a beer from Estonia before?

    Well, thanks to RJ199, here's my first:

    Öö-Põhjala Brewing (I guess)

    Local? 24.gif

    Credit-RJ199 and his gal Stella, who he "shares" with Tripping William ()
    Style-Baltic porter; a favorite of fuse
    Format-11.2 ounces
    Stemware-Stella snifter (there's *that* gal again)
    Pour-"as dark as the Estonian winter nights" with a thin, tan head
    Nostril ticklers-molasses, licorice, black walnuts
    Mouthfeel-pretty smooth
    Tastes-wet, black walnuts; licorice; charred, wet wood; molasses; black gravy?
    Contents-barley (no, it really says that on their website)
    IBU-(shrugs); maybe 40
    ABV-10.5%; punches more like 13-14%
    Overall impression-unusual beer, as expected; rather enjoyable in a strange, different tasty way
    Ymm, Beer rating-upper cat 2; strangely enough, I liked this a fair amount and would buy other beers by this brewery who has some "strange brews"

    https://shop.pohjalabeer.com/en/c/specials

    C'mon, look at some of those names, with some ABV at 14-17%
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #26900
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Orange Sunshine

    Nah, more in the daylight hours .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •