Page 1344 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 344844124412941334134213431344134513461354139414441844 ... LastLast
Results 26,861 to 26,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

It's well after five o'clock in my zip code.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    lactose is added to an IPA while brewing, usually with vanilla and a fruit or three.
    A8786BB8-3CB6-4D33-A7F5-A306579002FA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They're a really nice variant of the NEIPA style. My biggest concern now is being able to find one or two. I've looked at the beer lists for Wise Man and Gizmo and haven't seen one listed for at least a couple weeks, or whenever killerleft announced his choice.

New Belgium Sparkling Lime Lager

Mrs. Tripping loves a porch-pounder and therefore grabbed a sixer of these. An extremely mouth-watering beer, especially ice cold. Could be gulped down by the gallon. 4.4% ABV. Has a role to play, and plays it well.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From days gone by:

Torch-Foothills Brewing

Wedding reception selection. Poured a light straw color with a modest, creamy white head. Floral scents and the mild European hops provide a light bitterness to balance a toasted, breadiness from the grain bill that was a whiter shade of pale. A tad more bitter than I anticipated from a typical German style pilsner at 35 IBUs with the ABV at 5.3%. Nicely paired with with cocktail hour snacks of fried mac and cheese, pimento cheese in tiny Mason jars with little celery stick "utensils" and bacon-wrapped figs and goat cheese.

Hoppyum was my other choice and when I saw they were pouring Woodford Reserve, my beer drinking/reviewing ceased.
    Fom 10/11/15:

From tonight:

Torch-Foothills Brewing

Worth re-tasting and re-posting.

A solid pilsner they made in the European/Bohemian (non-Rhapsody) tradition. This 12 ounce bottle was included in my January beer club 4 pack. Yea, a bit out of season but a pleasant prelude to my nightcap that's on deck...
    Torch Pilsner (draft)-Foothills Brewing Company

"Head for the Hills" (or was that "Hit the Hills," the center field lawn name at the DBAP)

More local! More DBAP!

This was my treat to myself-JStuart had the Pilot Mountain Pale Ale on my dime.

Pint pour was a yellow-amber with a one inch frothy head. A bit surprising on the nose with earthy and rich floral scents. This followed through on the palate with more malts/grains/caramel than bitterness/floral hops. Almost as if the English had gotten a hold of the recipe and made it an English pilsner instead of my expectations of a lighter, Euro pils. Not bad things, just different and very pleasing to drink. IBUs at 35 were higher than the Pale Brüe Eyes pale ale . The ABV was a tad higher, too, at 5.3%. Good ballpark/session beer.
    From tonight:

Torch Pilsner-Foothills Brewing Company

Local? Yep

Credit-fridge leftover so I claimed it
    Style-see name
    Format-3/4 pint can
    Glassware-old pint glass
    Appearance-foamy sunshine
    Nose-Euro hops/flowers
    Mouthfeel-hint of bitterness
    Tastes-Ciabatta bread, flowers, light caramel
    Hops-Saaz
    IBU-35
    ABV-5.3%
    Overall impression-classic stuff
    Ymm, Beer rating-a solid mid/upper level cat 2; another NC beer that is overlooked or scoffed at along with the original Red Oak amber

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I had that Commonwealth Intergalactic DIPA last night. 8.7% ABV is well hidden, so I def stopped after 1. It drinks like a session beer, but it's not! I love the Galaxy hop bomb which just seemed to get fresher and more pronounced the more I had. Maybe it gets even better as it warms a little. The white wine white grape notes work well in this earthy IPA. It's West-coast bitter but in a very good way for the style; it's smooth. The tropical fruit is more on the finish which balances beautifully. So it's a little different but Matt at Stella was right, this brewery is legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Commonwealth Intergalatic DIPA

Wow. Like, knock you back wow.

Another tasty beverage delivered in person by rj199 and beergoddess.

Loads of fresh, tropical fruit salad.

It evaporated from my glass far too quickly.

Cheers, and thanks richardjackson!
    As I promised RJ199:

InterGalactic-Commonwealth Brewery

Not quite local but I get Nrrrrvous thinking about it

Credit-RJ199; thanks!!
    Style-DIPA but can't decide more NE or west coast style; I'm leaning more NEDIPA
    Stemware-Stella snifter
    Appearance-slightly hazy; modest, foamy head; yellow orange
    Mouthfeel-fruity; pithy
    Aromas-grapefruit, pineapple, peach and mango
    Tastes-see aromas; rindy/zesty bitterness
    Hops-Galaxy, Comet, Hallertau Blanc (this probably imparts the white wine/grape notes RJ199 mentioned
    IBU-might be 60
    ABV-8.7%; doesn't feel like it, yet
    Overall impression- I could drink 4 of these
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3, easy; doesn't quite reach the Veil or Burial plateau but this is an excellent IIPA; will look for more Commonwealth brews

More milkshake IPA edjumacation for all of us, plus another list:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/ipa-milkshake/143/

"The Milkshake India Pale Ale (IPA) is a distinct flavored hazy IPA substyle where the haze doesn't come from the same brewing process than New England IPAs. Whereas hops as flavoring and aroma agents are the key factors while hop remnants and other metabolized compounds are used as body agents for NEIPAs, the Milkshake IPA use fruits and vanillins for flavoring and aroma, and the mouthfeel comes from lactose. The hops usually contribute to the fruity flavor and aroma, but the milkshake part comes from the sweetness, mouthfeel and fruitiness overall. The haze comes from the added lactose and from the pectin of the fruit that doesn’t break down. It can even be augmented by using grist additions of flaked barley or oats."

I don't like using ratebeer which is partially owned by InBev, but beeradvocate had no list .

Virtual Pub

Hi, all!

I am tentatively setting the date for the June 2020 Virtual Pub: Saturday, 6/20/2020. The plan is to open the pub at 11:00 AM.

Thanks to devildeac for the link that explained the Milkshake IPA. Here's another that is fairly recent:

https://chilledmagazine.com/milkshake-ipa

I hope a visit to The Brewers Kettle in High Point will bear fruit in my quest for some beers to review.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Hi, all!

I am tentatively setting the date for the June 2020 Virtual Pub: Saturday, 6/20/2020. The plan is to open the pub at 11:00 AM.

Thanks to devildeac for the link that explained the Milkshake IPA. Here's another that is fairly recent:

I hope a visit to The Brewers Kettle in High Point will bear fruit in my quest for some beers to review.
    Sounds great! Thanks again!

Bearing fruit is the yeast you could do for all of us beer nerds.

Tomorrow's featured brewery/taps/growler specials at Bottle Rev Lake Boone Trail:

"This Wednesday we are featuring Wiseman Brewing. Wiseman only opened a few years ago but has quickly become one of our favorite NC breweries. We’ve yet to have a beer from them we didn’t enjoy. We will have Chosen Vehicle Pale Ale along with two brand new beers: Thrilling Daydreams DIPA & New Eyes Sour with Boysenberry!"

Any of you Winston-Salem folks have any of the above 3 beers yet?

Hi, all!

Fortunately, I'm +1 in the milkshake IPA "in stock" category as RJ199 included one of these in our recent trading session:

615154332094a9a4fe1a46047edb1782_640x640.jpg

The beer, not the glassware.

Fortunately, I'm +1 in the milkshake IPA "in stock" category as RJ199 included one of these in our recent trading session:

615154332094a9a4fe1a46047edb1782_640x640.jpg

The beer, not the glassware.

I hoped to get out today, but will visit Potent Potables in Jamestown, and The Brewer's Kettle in High Point tomorrow. Have to work around the curfews in place.

I hoped to get out today, but will visit Potent Potables in Jamestown, and The Brewer's Kettle in High Point tomorrow. Have to work around the curfews in place.
    The above is a Casita Cerveceria beer brewed by a husband/wife team in Fountain, NC, or Farmville, NC, depending on your "sources," and brewed at the Duck-Rabbit brewery apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Lost Province Sour to the People

Anyone else heard of a sour NEIPA?
    Me, either.

Another sweet heavy pineapple nose.

Darker in colour than Lotus Position.

If this is soured in any way, its super mild.

An orange pineapple milkshake (no, not a milkshake IPA).

I’m ready to move to Boone, preferably within walking distance of King Street and Lost Province.

Enjoy your weekend!
    Cheers! 🍻
    Late to the party:

Sour to the People-Lost Province Brewing Company

Local when the above peep bought it

Credit-fuse; thanks!!
    Style-sour NEIPA
    Temporary residence-16 ounce can
    Stemware-boring pint glass
    Appearance-diluted pineapple juice; modest, foamy head
    Mouthfeel-beer smoothie lite
    Tastes-pineapple/orange juice cocktail (not quite 100% juicy); very mild pucker; some pineapple core and guava; not that sweet
    IBU-12; I'm not sure I've ever had an IPA with IBUs that low unless it was a Veil IIPA claiming 0 IBU and, on that, I'll quickly call shenanigans
    ABV-6.6%
    Overall impression-perhaps a bit less enthusiastically received than fuse but still a very good beverage
    Ymm, Beer rating-upper tier cat 2; crowded field; yada, yada; I'd have another and happily accept another delivery of some more Lost Province offerings

Why I'm sipping a baltic porter next, I'm not sure. Wait, I know; RJ199 included it in his trader package last week .

Salty Turtle’s NEIPA

Called Surf City Sunrise. Sold in four-packs of 16-ounce cans. Bright gold, but hazy. Super-foamy head. Flavors of pineapple and mango, offset by the bite of the hops. 6.6% ABV. I would guess the IBUs are upper 50’s. Solid Cat 2 beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Salty Turtle’s NEIPA

Called Surf City Sunrise. Sold in four-packs of 16-ounce cans. Bright gold, but hazy. Super-foamy head. Flavors of pineapple and mango, offset by the bite of the hops. 6.6% ABV. I would guess the IBUs are upper 50’s. Solid Cat 2 beer.
    That's a new one to me. Glad to see they're adding to their beer list, whether new taps *or* packaged merchandise which they've had in very limited quantities, if any, since they opened.

That's a new one to me. Glad to see they're adding to their beer list, whether new taps *or* packaged merchandise which they've had in very limited quantities, if any, since they opened.
    The other one they had in a four-bagger was a Kolsch. Couldn’t tell online if they do growlers or crowlers, and didn’t really feel up to hang in their space, given COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The other one they had in a four-bagger was a Kolsch. Couldn’t tell online if they do growlers or crowlers, and didn’t really feel up to hang in their space, given COVID.
    Yep; their space is pretty small and my guess would be very few masks being worn. Not sure if they've taken up growlering or crowlering yet.

Why I'm sipping a baltic porter next, I'm not sure. Wait, I know; RJ199 included it in his trader package last week .
    I had no idea there were this many baltic porters:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/st...evsD&start=550