Page 1307 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 307807120712571297130513061307130813091317135714071807 ... LastLast
Results 26,121 to 26,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien (draft)-Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes (BFM)

Local? lol

Credit-Nrrrrrvous, with a huge assist here, my keen eyes recognizing this from the Bottle Rev tap list and connecting it with his post
    Style-oak/wine barrel aged Biere de Garde/sour
    Format-mini growler ($20 and that was with $4 off) that I'm hoping to divide over 4 nights (see ABV below)
    Stemware-small Allagash tulip
    Appearance-light ruby amber; thin head
    Nose-red wine, wet wood, cherry/apple vinegar
    Mouthfeel-this tickled a bit
    Tastes-sour cherry/apple vinegar, berries, zinfandel, oak, tannins
    Adjuncts-none
    IBU-probably <10
    ABV-11.3% (I'm reeaally glad I looked at the tap list closely); more than dangerous
    Overall impression-two words: world class; if Bottle Rev has a small (or large) bottle of this, I'm buying it and reviewing again for OPK's Virtual Pub
    Ymm, Beer rating-front, top and center cat 3; in the same league as any Rodenbach I've ever had

Additional discussion: We had a sour-themed Virtual Pub here in October (posts #22116-22162 if anyone wants a fairly quick "review") and the "best of show" that day were Ad Idem (Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed-2016), Err on the Side of Awesome (New Belgium 2018 or 2019) and Cellar Door #1 (Brewery Bhavana's "base" sour from 2018, IIRC). The sour/Biere de Garde reviewed above is as good as any of them, perhaps a shade better.

Thanks again to Nrrrrrvous for the recommendation!!
    My portion last PM, one day after purchasing the mini growler was still well-preserved and highly flavorful.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My portion last PM, one day after purchasing the mini growler was still well-preserved and highly flavorful.
    The running joke with Mrs. Nrrrrvous - If I have two Bon-Chiens at a sitting, I will be doing nothing of any value the rest of the evening...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    The running joke with Mrs. Nrrrrvous - If I have two Bon-Chiens at a sitting, I will be doing nothing of any value the rest of the evening...
    At 11+% ABV, my cerebral cortex and neuromuscular function agree .

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    My introduction to Sycamore was Mountain Candy IPA, which I found to be pretty meh.

The other beers from Sycamore I’ve tried have been pretty good.
    Sticky Crystals and the Big Juicy are both much better than Mountain Candy.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Don't remember if I have tried the first two, but I agree that Mountain Candy is "meh".

Some additional evidence, sir:

Sticky Crystals-Sycamore Brewing Company

closer to local for the original poster than me

Credit-Tripping William; thanks!!
    Style-can says IPA but it's really a hazy IPA or a NEIPA
    Format-half a quart
    Freshness stuff-Canned 01/29/20 15:47:09 #oohwee!
    Glassware-pint glass
    Appearance-Dole pineapple juice, unfiltered
    Nose-pineapples, mangoes, cannabis
    Mouthfeel-are you sure you didn't slip me a beer smoothie!
    Tastes-pineapple, grapefruit, THC, honey (not added), rind
    IBU-(SWAG)-50
    ABV-7.04% ()
    Overall impression-quite a palate pleaser; very grateful you saved one for me
    Ymm, Beer rating-I'll go a bit higher than TW and put it close to but not quite cat 3; crowded field, yada, yada; I really enjoyed this
    Psychedelic Flow and Pakalolo are also pretty good based on a couple 2019 reviews in the archives.

If anyone is struggling selecting a few Belgians for OPK's hosting the Virtual Pub next Saturday, May 23, here's another list for you:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/53/

If anyone is struggling selecting a few Belgians for OPK's hosting the Virtual Pub next Saturday, May 23, here's another list for you:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/53/
    A9421A75-0DF4-4848-8461-4194651C9F26.jpg

Will be posting my line-up prior to opening the pub, but this is what made me go Belgian — it’s been in the fridge and is past time to enjoy. Big fan.

Gouden Carolus Indulgence — Cuvée Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Will be posting my line-up prior to opening the pub, but this is what made me go Belgian — it’s been in the fridge and is past time to enjoy. Big fan.

A lot of those types of beers state "good for 5 years" or something to that effect WRT aging. I'm really looking forward to your review of that tasting. The best I can do is likely a plain, old Gouden Carolus, but, lemme try that "search thread" feature () and get back to you a bit later.

Never heard of, or seen this beer. Gouden Carolus is quite good so this will be a fun review to read.

Devildeac, you are a week ahead of yourself 🤣

Last of my glassware experiment

So, the fourth can of Foothills U B U IPA (from its Craft Happiness series) has been consumed. This time in my Sexual Chocolate logo Teku glass. The smaller top of the Teku really holds the aromas. This was the most "nose" this beer had out of any of four glasses I used (reminder: traditional shaker pint, tall pilsner glass, tall wheat-beer glass, and now the Teku). The drinking was fairly flavorful, too, although probably a notch behind the flavor of the shaker pint glass. Not as bitter as the pilsner glass, nor as mellow as the wheat-beer glass.

Overall, I'd rank them (for this very delicious beer) as follows:

(1) Teku
    (Close 2) Shaker
    (3) Wheat
    (4) Pilsner

Thus concludes an experiment I never really intended to undertake, but that just sorta/kinda happened.

I highly recommend this beer, regardless of the shape of the consumption vessel!

Never heard of, or seen this beer. Gouden Carolus is quite good so this will be a fun review to read.

Devildeac, you are a week ahead of yourself 🤣

Wait, I'm thinking OPK is hosting Memorial Day weekend which is Saturday, May 23. Somebody help/remind me here.

So, the fourth can of Foothills U B U IPA (from its Craft Happiness series) has been consumed. This time in my Sexual Chocolate logo Teku glass. The smaller top of the Teku really holds the aromas. This was the most "nose" this beer had out of any of four glasses I used (reminder: traditional shaker pint, tall pilsner glass, tall wheat-beer glass, and now the Teku). The drinking was fairly flavorful, too, although probably a notch behind the flavor of the shaker pint glass. Not as bitter as the pilsner glass, nor as mellow as the wheat-beer glass.

Overall, I'd rank them (for this very delicious beer) as follows:

(1) Teku
    (Close 2) Shaker
    (3) Wheat
    (4) Pilsner

Thus concludes an experiment I never really intended to undertake, but that just sorta/kinda happened.

I highly recommend this beer, regardless of the shape of the consumption vessel!
    I've never done a tasting/testing like that. Great idea!

I've never done a tasting/testing like that. Great idea!
    Just one of those organic things that happened. Was quite interesting to do.

Wait, I'm thinking OPK is hosting Memorial Day weekend which is Saturday, May 23. Somebody help/remind me here.
    Next Saturday is 5/16 🙄😁

for OPK's hosting the Virtual Pub next Saturday, May 23,

Next Saturday is 5/16 🙄😁
    Interesting viewpoint. I think of this Saturday as 5/16 and next Saturday as 5/23. But, you are correct that the next Saturday in the progression of days is 5/16.

35.gif

Oooh, I found a special edition Gouden Carolus that I'd forgotten. From 1/29/19:

From 1/9/17:

From last PM:

Gouden Carolus Noel (Bottled on 09/09/15)-Brouwerij Het Anker

Merry Christmas to me. Again. Late . I really did forget about this one over the Christmas holiday season as we had soooo many other outstanding brews. I was quite surprised/pleased to find this inventory remaining. Poured from a 330 ml bottle into an Gouden Carolus tulip. Purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine a couple years ago on a "closeout" for about $7, IIRC, with their buck off coupon. I like inexpensive, outstanding ales. Almost as much as I like expensive, outstanding ales . Brewed in August, 2015, it poured a clear medium brown with hints of ruby, the nose was dark brown sugar, dried fruits and dark rum. Six spices are mentioned and I'd guess ginger, cinnamon, coriander and licorice with no clue what the last 2 might be. Three hops mentioned but not named. Tastes like an expensive, high quality fruitcake, with nuts, spices, brown sugar and raisins with dates and figs on the top instead of a nasty, red maraschino cherry and a green pineapple chunk. And I like fruitcakes. I'll guess 30 IBUs on the Belgian strong ale (or is it a quadruple?) and the ABV is a dangerously easy sipping 10.5%.

Oooh, and another old one, this one from 4/5/15:

Gouden Carolus Easter Ale (2013)-Brouwerij Het Anker

I thought I had reviewed this before but I guess not. This was my 2nd 750 ml caged and corked bottle bought last summer I think at Total Wine on a close-out for $1.50 off the original price of about $7-8. Almost classifies as a steal. It's a pretty classic Belgian strong/dark ale brewed once a year for Easter. I divided the bottle with our older son-in-law last PM watching the Wisc-UK game. Poured a cloudy, dark, muddy brown with a light tan, foamy head that lingered through the serving. Gorgeous dark, dried fruit scents along with dark brown sugar up front with tastes to match along with a bit of mild chocolate and rum even though it's not an aged ale. Two spices are mentioned and I was not on top of my game last PM but I'd guess cinnamon and nutmeg. I'll estimate 20-30 IBUs max and the ABV is 10.5%. Wonderful dessert beer and beverage to accompany a wildcat loss.

Attachment 4968

Yes, 5.23. Or as they would say in Belgium, 23.5.

Can’t do this weekend.

That all assumes that fuse can set up and attend a zoom that afternoon, of course.