Page 1306 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 306806120612561296130413051306130713081316135614061806 ... LastLast
Results 26,101 to 26,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Yeeee Haw brewing Kolcsh. Brewed in Johnson City, TN. I had my one or three at the island location in Pigeon Forge, near Margaritaville.

I'm not a sophisticated beer reviewer, but here it goes. Was surprising light, which a Kolcsh usually is, but I found it to be refreshingly light. I could have drank many more of these as my wife And I people watched while the kids were doing the escape room.

It had a straw yellow color, with a head that went away quickly. It was good enough for me to get a six pack to take back to our cabin.

My wife had a blackberry beret. I asked her to review it. She said, "It's really good.". You heard it here first folks. Back to you in the studio. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    My wife has informed me that my favorite watering hole in Richmond has it on tap right now.
    Which is your favorite? Says the guy from Chesterfield...

Lickinghole Creek is in Richmond (main brewery is actually in a beautiful setting out in Goochland), that's where I normally reside. Big Lick is in Roanoke. I have been quarantined here for a couple months now. (Smith Mountain Lake area)

Edit - Oops, Tripping William beat me to it.
    Didn’t realize you were at SML. Sunken City Brewing is the place to go there. Their Dam Lager is quite refreshing.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Yeeee Haw brewing Kolcsh. Brewed in Johnson City, TN. I had my one or three at the island location in Pigeon Forge, near Margaritaville.

I'm not a sophisticated beer reviewer, but here it goes. Was surprising light, which a Kolcsh usually is, but I found it to be refreshingly light. I could have drank many more of these as my wife And I people watched while the kids were doing the escape room.

It had a straw yellow color, with a head that went away quickly. It was good enough for me to get a six pack to take back to our cabin.

My wife had a blackberry beret. I asked her to review it. She said, "It's really good.". You heard it here first folks. Back to you in the studio. 😂
    If you like Kolsch, and its available where you are, would highly recommend seeking out White Street Kolsch, brewed in Wake Forest, NC.

Mother Earth in Kinston makes a good kolsch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    We live in Brandermill, literally right around the corner from Sergio's. They have great food and usually a great selection on tap. I think it's probably 18 to 20 taps? They do a good job of rotating local beers with some out-of-towners. They also don't go crazy with the IPAs like some places do. My wife and I are not big IPA fans. And the two bartenders (Amy and Rosie) have become like family. (I know, some would say that is sad.)

Sometimes to fill a growler/crowler we will pop over to Grumpy Growlers on Hull Street but I think they may not be surviving Covid-19.

We also love The Answer, Legend (Legend Brown is, shall I say, Legendary? But I love their Triple) , Three Notched, Hardywood (Singel is one of my wife's faves), Fine Creek (Powhatan), among many others.

Just typing this is making me glum. My wife and I love to go out and sit and sample the wares, quarantine has been difficult. We've been grabbing some to-go from the local places in Roanoke but miss the "being out" part.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Didn’t realize you were at SML. Sunken City Brewing is the place to go there. Their Dam Lager is quite refreshing.
    That place is on my "bad" list. We've tried to go there multiple times (at least 3) and they are always closed. Beautiful Saturday afternoons, times when they should be open!! Would love to go!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

Good stuff. Thanks! You'll have to get Mrs. left_hook to register at DBR with some clever screen name and join the other lovely and illustrious ladies who post here like the Love Ninja and the beer goddess, with a rare drive-through by none other than the beer bastion of Mt. Hatemore, weezie .

No need for that kinda stuff here. I've got eleventybillion posts on this thread and not once has sophisticated ever been used to describe any of my entries . Plus, "all" we ever post about is beer and how many different kinds of styles/flavors are there?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Always looking for another address with great beer on tap again, eh?

Dam Lager? Parkway Brewing Company says, "Get Bent."

beer-323763_d03de_sm.jpeg

We live in Brandermill, literally right around the corner from Sergio's. They have great food and usually a great selection on tap. I think it's probably 18 to 20 taps? They do a good job of rotating local beers with some out-of-towners. They also don't go crazy with the IPAs like some places do. My wife and I are not big IPA fans. And the two bartenders (Amy and Rosie) have become like family. (I know, some would say that is sad.)

Sometimes to fill a growler/crowler we will pop over to Grumpy Growlers on Hull Street but I think they may not be surviving Covid-19.

We also love The Answer, Legend (Legend Brown is, shall I say, Legendary? But I love their Triple) , Three Notched, Hardywood (Singel is one of my wife's faves), Fine Creek (Powhatan), among many others.

Just typing this is making me glum. My wife and I love to go out and sit and sample the wares, quarantine has been difficult. We've been grabbing some to-go from the local places in Roanoke but miss the "being out" part.
    Before going a bit out of her way to procure my mini growler of Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien yesterday, the lovely and vivacious Mrs. dd was sure to go a bit more out of her way to acquire an outrageous scone for herself from Yellow Dog Bread Company, a friend's favorite baked goods stop. When she returned with her stomach full of pastry and my bottled elixir in hand, the following conversation ensued:

dd: "Why thank you, dear, for procuring that large aliquot of what promises to be a wonderful sour!"
    Mrs. dd: "Don't get used to it."

Been there too, we're in Creekwood off Newby's Bridge Road.

After the virus is done and gone we'll have to celebrate. And you're right the food is excellent too.

Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien (draft)-Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes (BFM)

Local? lol

Credit-Nrrrrrvous, with a huge assist here, my keen eyes recognizing this from the Bottle Rev tap list and connecting it with his post
    Style-oak/wine barrel aged Biere de Garde/sour
    Format-mini growler ($20 and that was with $4 off) that I'm hoping to divide over 4 nights (see ABV below)
    Stemware-small Allagash tulip
    Appearance-light ruby amber; thin head
    Nose-red wine, wet wood, cherry/apple vinegar
    Mouthfeel-this tickled a bit
    Tastes-sour cherry/apple vinegar, berries, zinfandel, oak, tannins
    Adjuncts-none
    IBU-probably <10
    ABV-11.3% (I'm reeaally glad I looked at the tap list closely); more than dangerous
    Overall impression-two words: world class; if Bottle Rev has a small (or large) bottle of this, I'm buying it and reviewing again for OPK's Virtual Pub
    Ymm, Beer rating-front, top and center cat 3; in the same league as any Rodenbach I've ever had

Additional discussion: We had a sour-themed Virtual Pub here in October (posts #22116-22162 if anyone wants a fairly quick "review") and the "best of show" that day were Ad Idem (Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed-2016), Err on the Side of Awesome (New Belgium 2018 or 2019) and Cellar Door #1 (Brewery Bhavana's "base" sour from 2018, IIRC). The sour/Biere de Garde reviewed above is as good as any of them, perhaps a shade better.

Thanks again to Nrrrrrvous for the recommendation!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien (draft)-Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes (BFM)

Local? lol

Credit-Nrrrrrvous, with a huge assist here, my keen eyes recognizing this from the Bottle Rev tap list and connecting it with his post
    Style-oak/wine barrel aged Biere de Garde/sour
    Format-mini growler ($20 and that was with $4 off) that I'm hoping to divide over 4 nights (see ABV below)
    Stemware-small Allagash tulip
    Appearance-light ruby amber; thin head
    Nose-red wine, wet wood, cherry/apple vinegar
    Mouthfeel-this tickled a bit
    Tastes-sour cherry/apple vinegar, berries, zinfandel, oak, tannins
    Adjuncts-none
    IBU-probably <10
    ABV-11.3% (I'm reeaally glad I looked at the tap list closely); more than dangerous
    Overall impression-two words: world class; if Bottle Rev has a small (or large) bottle of this, I'm buying it and reviewing again for OPK's Virtual Pub
    Ymm, Beer rating-front, top and center cat 3; in the same league as any Rodenbach I've ever had

Additional discussion: We had a sour-themed Virtual Pub here in October (posts #22116-22162 if anyone wants a fairly quick "review") and the "best of show" that day were Ad Idem (Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed-2016), Err on the Side of Awesome (New Belgium 2018 or 2019) and Cellar Door #1 (Brewery Bhavana's "base" sour from 2018, IIRC). The sour/Biere de Garde reviewed above is as good as any of them, perhaps a shade better.

Thanks again to Nrrrrrvous for the recommendation!!
    I finally found where this beer was categorized/listed:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/127/

Not too shabby

Sycamore Paloma Gose

I’m telling y’all, Sycamore just might be Charlotte’s best. This one has ruby red grapefruit, some lime, agave syrup (you read that right), and a dash of salt. Bright yellow color with just a hint of pink on the edges. Not hyper sour; just enough. The salt actually smooths it out. 5.0% ABV, so goes down really easy. Absolutely love this beer. Need to get more from SoPines Growler. Cat 3 easily for me. Sycamore strikes again!

That place is on my "bad" list. We've tried to go there multiple times (at least 3) and they are always closed. Beautiful Saturday afternoons, times when they should be open!! Would love to go!
    Strange. Would think they’d be rather accessible. Decent beer the times I visited.

Hot off the presses, or, should that be cold out of the snifter, night 2:

Free Rent-New Anthem Beer Project

Still pretty fresh after Wednesday's mini growler fill and last evening's initial pour. Perhaps a bit foamier head after a more aggressive pour tonight, but still pretty juicy and fruity. Quite tasty with some grilled salmon, sauteed spinach and roasted red skin potatoes.
    Three nights of Free Rent; a deal that can't be beat .

Sycamore Paloma Gose

I’m telling y’all, Sycamore just might be Charlotte’s best. This one has ruby red grapefruit, some lime, agave syrup (you read that right), and a dash of salt. Bright yellow color with just a hint of pink on the edges. Not hyper sour; just enough. The salt actually smooths it out. 5.0% ABV, so goes down really easy. Absolutely love this beer. Need to get more from SoPines Growler. Cat 3 easily for me. Sycamore strikes again!
    My introduction to Sycamore was Mountain Candy IPA, which I found to be pretty meh.

The other beers from Sycamore I’ve tried have been pretty good.

Before going a bit out of her way to procure my mini growler of Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien yesterday, the lovely and vivacious Mrs. dd was sure to go a bit more out of her way to acquire an outrageous scone for herself from Yellow Dog Bread Company, a friend's favorite baked goods stop. When she returned with her stomach full of pastry and my bottled elixir in hand, the following conversation ensued:

dd: "Why thank you, dear, for procuring that large aliquot of what promises to be a wonderful sour!"
    Mrs. dd: "Don't get used to it."

Mrs. dd sounds an awful lot like Mrs. Nrrrrvous. I will say this - I got lucky 25 years ago - Mrs. Nrrrrvous loves beer as much, if not more, than I do...

Been there too, we're in Creekwood off Newby's Bridge Road.

After the virus is done and gone we'll have to celebrate. And you're right the food is excellent too.
    Absolutely! First round is on me!

Mrs. dd sounds an awful lot like Mrs. Nrrrrvous. I will say this - I got lucky 25 years ago - Mrs. Nrrrrvous loves beer as much, if not more, than I do...
    Lucky, indeed. Best of luck for another 25 years, or more.