Page 130 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 30801201281291301311321401802306301130 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm brewing an oaked bourbon stout on Sunday...wooohooo! It won't be worth drinking until March. Boooo! (Worth drinking or not, I'll be surprised if I have more than 12 bottles left by then )
    That's been the biggest problem as a nascent home brewer and beer-cellar builder. I can't have my beer and drink it too!!!

Talon-Mendocino Brewing (Saratoga Springs, not CA)

Bomber. Copper. Small head. High IBU (80? 90?). High ABV. 10.5%. Caramel/toffee-like. Good deal at $7. Fabulous deal at $3. Worth buying a bunch at that price and say, trading for a Victory Helios. Probably worth aging for a year and bringing one back to Brunchgate next fall. Glad CB&B shared this with several of us yesterday.

31993.jpg

Tiny-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another unique and winning brew from this brewery in Pennsylvania. Black as night but a bit less oily/viscous than your typical RIS, this brew represents yet another twist to "blending" different styles of beers. The Belgian abbey yeast used in the brewing process gives this imperial stout prominent notes of dark fruits and rum and a bit more smoothness than you might expect. I had half this corked and caged 750 ml bottle tonight as the ABV is a massive 11.8% from the chocolate, black and other deeply roasted malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 but it is balanced very well by the intense dark chocolate flavors and booziness. Forget the chocolate cake or torte you might serve for dessert with this beverage as it makes a fine after dinner treat all by itself. I have a second bottle of this (couldn't resist at about $8) and I am not sure whether I will share this over the holidays or save it to age for a year and twist off the cork next winter.

tiny-150x150.jpg

From April 21, 2010:

Had this one Sunday night. I'm still celebrating:

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/foundersnew/beer/

Folks, this is amazing. Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or KBS by the folks at Founders. This is nearly pitch black with a modest medium tan head and the coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon will knock you on your arse. My first impression was drinking a shot (or two) of a fine single batch/malt bourbon in a cup of dark roast Jamaican java. Wow. It clocks in at 70 IBU and 11.2% ABV, so it has a nice hop wallop as one would expect from an imperial stout and the booziness of the whiskey, too. Forget having anything else with this goblet/snifter worthy dessert. Pull one out of your cellar, pour, sit in your recliner and savor this nectar over an hour or so some evening. Be prepared to take out a small loan for it however. A 4 pack of these will set you back $23-2420.gif . The remaining 3 should last me a year or four.

I had the second one from the "litter" last PM so it was about 18 months old and worthy to celebrate another occasion. I'll post that a bit later this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From April 21, 2010:

Had this one Sunday night. I'm still celebrating:

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/foundersnew/beer/

Folks, this is amazing. Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or KBS by the folks at Founders. This is nearly pitch black with a modest medium tan head and the coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon will knock you on your arse. My first impression was drinking a shot (or two) of a fine single batch/malt bourbon in a cup of dark roast Jamaican java. Wow. It clocks in at 70 IBU and 11.2% ABV, so it has a nice hop wallop as one would expect from an imperial stout and the booziness of the whiskey, too. Forget having anything else with this goblet/snifter worthy dessert. Pull one out of your cellar, pour, sit in your recliner and savor this nectar over an hour or so some evening. Be prepared to take out a small loan for it however. A 4 pack of these will set you back $23-2420.gif . The remaining 3 should last me a year or four.

I had the second one from the "litter" last PM so it was about 18 months old and worthy to celebrate another occasion. I'll post that a bit later this evening.
    Well, a few days late but savored nonetheless:

KBS/Kentucky Bourbon Stout (2010 edition)-Founders Brewing

This was one of the brews I found at Liquor Bar in Lexington, Kin-tucky sometime in early 2010. Or was it summer, 2009? Or did Lavabe bring it to me at Christmas in 2008 or 2009? Oh, never mind. I reviewed this in April, 2010 as a beer of celebration after our NC. I had bottle #2 from the 4 pack Tuesday night after finding out my youngest daughter received an acceptance to medical school that afternoon. More about that later. Well, enough drivel and on to the tasting.

This is simply a fabulous beer. After 18 months (or more) of cellaring, I found it to be even richer, smoother and perhaps even blacker than the first bottle. Coffee and dark chocolate are the opening aromas and appropriately so as both ingredients are used in the brewing process. Hints of vanilla from the aging in oak bourbon barrels appear during the initial tasting and the moderate booziness of the bourbon enters at the end of the taste. Incredibly complex brew. IBU are 70 and the ABV is 11.2% so this was my ale for the entire evening and I savored it slightly chilled from a Duke Hall of Fame goblet Ozzie brought me last month. No cookies. No cake. No brownies. Just the imperial stout. Heaven in a glass. I have 2 more left. Wonder how/when I will partake of the third one of the litter...

I have to say: it's never occurred to me to age beer.

Now I have to go out in this god-forsaken county of mine* and try to find some to put in my cellar.

*Montgomery County, MD, is an ABC county for beer, wine, and spirits - seriously lacking in choice in every category. Hell, Derm (in an ABC state) has better beer shops (Hi!, Sam's).

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

Now I have to go out in this god-forsaken county of mine* and try to find some to put in my cellar.

*Montgomery County, MD, is an ABC county for beer, wine, and spirits - seriously lacking in choice in every category. Hell, Derm (in an ABC state) has better beer shops (Hi!, Sam's).

-jk
    The styles of beers worth aging are usually the high gravity (high ABV) ones like imperial IPAs, barleywines and (Russian) imperial stouts. They generally have higher hop content (reflected in the higher IBU, or International Bittering Units) and are often bottle-conditioned, meaning some yeast is left in the bottles and they continue to ferment as they age. Beers often become smoother and take on characteristics of ports and sherries, speaking of the imperial stouts and barleywines, respectively. I have some of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot (Bigfeet? Bigfoots?) from as far back as 2006 and some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout from several years ago, too. IIRC, you do like some of the stouts and perhaps bourbon so an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels might be to your liking.

When I attended more meetings in DC, I usually went to Chevy Chase Beer and Wine on Connecticut Avenue (http://www.chevychasewine.com/) to haul my brews back to NC before we enacted the Pop the Cap campaign about 5 or 6 years ago and raised the 6% ABV limit here to 15% for beers. Not sure where you live in the DC area but they had a great selection of micro brews whenever I went. Total Wine also has a fine selection of hand crafted ales.

Let me know if you need any other general and/or specific suggestions.

Well, a few days late but savored nonetheless:

KBS/Kentucky Bourbon Stout (2010 edition)-Founders Brewing

This was one of the brews I found at Liquor Bar in Lexington, Kin-tucky sometime in early 2010. Or was it summer, 2009? Or did Lavabe bring it to me at Christmas in 2008 or 2009? Oh, never mind. I reviewed this in April, 2010 as a beer of celebration after our NC. I had bottle #2 from the 4 pack Tuesday night after finding out my youngest daughter received an acceptance to medical school that afternoon. More about that later. Well, enough drivel and on to the tasting.

This is simply a fabulous beer. After 18 months (or more) of cellaring, I found it to be even richer, smoother and perhaps even blacker than the first bottle. Coffee and dark chocolate are the opening aromas and appropriately so as both ingredients are used in the brewing process. Hints of vanilla from the aging in oak bourbon barrels appear during the initial tasting and the moderate booziness of the bourbon enters at the end of the taste. Incredibly complex brew. IBU are 70 and the ABV is 11.2% so this was my ale for the entire evening and I savored it slightly chilled from a Duke Hall of Fame goblet Ozzie brought me last month. No cookies. No cake. No brownies. Just the imperial stout. Heaven in a glass. I have 2 more left. Wonder how/when I will partake of the third one of the litter...
    Forgot to include the picture so no one misses it on the shelves on the rare occasion you can find it:

40544.jpg

Old Fezziwig Ale-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

I must admit, after not having tasted this brew for about a decade, I was really looking forward to sipping this winter brew and found it a bit disappointing. I think it is much as I remembered it from that long ago, but I am betting my tasted have changed. Pours a clear reddish-brown with a melange of spices on the nose that were fairly prominent on the tongue. A slight bitterness from the orange peel is most prominent but the ginger and cinnamon also appear. I am guessing I just did not care for this particular blend/combination of aromas and tastes and perhaps it is because they use a very similar blend in their Winter Lager that DinK so eloquently described a few days ago and I am just tired of (over)spiced winter brews. IBU probably 30, which would be on par for a brown ale. ABV is 5.9%, also in line with the style. Please don't misinterpret this review. I liked the beer, am happy I found it again in their 12 pack of winter classics, pleased to have sampled it again, would serve it to guests with a slice of pound cake or sugar cookies but would not make it a regular seasonal purchase. Great label, BTW.

02a32ff5-6d7c-45ed-9365-e677d887fb49.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hell, Derm (in an ABC state) has better beer shops (Hi!, Sam's).

-jk
    They also have a Total Wine which is a mandatory pre-football game stop for me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

-jk

I'll assume by ABC you meant the usual:

Anybody
    But
    carolina.

Worst Beer Ever?

Last night at Alamo Drafthouse, I ordered a bottle of Abita Christmas Ale. I like most of what Abita does so I decided to try this. I hope there was something wrong with the bottle, but after reading reviews on Beer Advocate after I got home last night, I think it is just the beer. Tastes like a pine tree with a strong onion note. Bitter too and not in a good way. Ugh.

And I am not a critical beer drinker. Everything in my mind has a time and a place, even American Light Lagers. This just tasted bad.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Last night at Alamo Drafthouse, I ordered a bottle of Abita Christmas Ale. I like most of what Abita does so I decided to try this. I hope there was something wrong with the bottle, but after reading reviews on Beer Advocate after I got home last night, I think it is just the beer. Tastes like a pine tree with a strong onion note. Bitter too and not in a good way. Ugh.

And I am not a critical beer drinker. Everything in my mind has a time and a place, even American Light Lagers. This just tasted bad.
    Believe it or not, we even have a thread here for posts like this:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...t=ycch%2C+beer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

DD gave me a bottle of "Horse Piss" a couple years ago that I have yet to be brave enough or desperate enough to open. It is worth the conversation it inspires, still safely in its bottle.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

DD gave me a bottle of "Horse Piss" a couple years ago that I have yet to be brave enough or desperate enough to open. It is worth the conversation it inspires, still safely in its bottle.
    Bought a 4 pack (or was it a 6er?) of it in Lexington as we drove back to NC after the 2010 NC. I had my bottle and am sure I have the review somewhere (). CB&B got one of the bottles as he mentioned above and I think my son and a drug rep with whom I do some beer trading got the other. No reports from either of them but I can vouch they are both still alive.

Bought a 4 pack (or was it a 6er?) of it in Lexington as we drove back to NC after the 2010 NC. I had my bottle and am sure I have the review somewhere (). CB&B got one of the bottles as he mentioned above and I think my son and a drug rep with whom I do some beer trading got the other. No reports from either of them but I can vouch they are both still alive.
    Ahh, found my old review:

Horse Piss Beer-Horse Piss Brewing-Actually, I think this is a contract brew by Bluegrass Brewing Company. I read at Beer Advocate or somewhere this is classified as an adjunct lager. That means they use grains in it other than barley, wheat or rye. The mass produced swill by AB usually uses rice in their brewing process as it is cheaper. Also less bitterness. And less flavor. This one fits all the above criteria. I'd bet the IBU is around 0. Perhaps even -5 or -10. There's basically no hop presence. There is some flavor from some crystal, pale or caramel malts. The color is from those malts. Unless it's red dye #5 (aka food coloring). The head is 2-3 mm at best and lingers about as long as a kerlina possession before they turn it over. I'd guess the ABV to be 5%. Not much redeeming there either as I'm not sure what kind of session I'd start/finish this with. I guess this would be good with a hot dog or burger fresh off the grill on a hot summer afternoon. But, then again, the hot dog/burger would probably be insulted. I guess I really did not expect that much except a novelty beer/bottle and it's honestly not that bad but there's just not much to this brew. Glad I passed one on to CB&B on Saturday during our trading session. I got the oatmeal stout I am sipping on now. I think I got the better of the trade but, over the course of the entire 6er, I'll bet we call it a draw.

I wonder what poor, unsuspecting souls I can unload the other 2 bottles on later this spring.39.gif

Let's see. We are heading up to NOVA in a couple weeks and Bones did put an IC in one of his prior traders...

Plus, my son is always interested in trying new brews...

49802.jpg
    web_label506_nb8n.jpg

Come to think of it, this beer/review probably belongs here, too, along with the Abita Christmas Beer that ATexDevil had recently:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...t=ycch%2C+beer

Glad I passed one on to CB&B on Saturday during our trading session. I got the oatmeal stout I am sipping on now. I think I got the better of the trade but, over the course of the entire 6er, I'll bet we call it a draw.
    Hard to argue with that since I've managed to not drink it yet. There are one or two others that I have gotten from you that I have not opened in over a year..so it is in fine company! (Although I'm pretty sure the other brews are going to benefit from aging.)

Old Curmudgeon Ale (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

Original review (February, 2010):

Another complex winter brew-I bought a 4 pack of this so there just might be a leftover or two for future consideration . This is my 1st time ever tasting this concoction which is a slightly reddish-brown old ale with a heavy malt emphasis. I believe it is bottle-conditioned so it is slightly cloudy. They brew this with molasses but I wouldn't think a black molasses style as the flavors are more like dark brown sugar. The oak aging give is a bit of vanilla, wood and whiskey-ish tastes and they are all very pleasant. Frighteningly smooth at a mere 50 IBU and highly potent at 9.8% ABV. I decided to divide one of the bottles over 3 nights and sipped it at very slightly chilled temps out of a larger cordial glass. This is a dessert beer and I was happy with my 4 ounce pour by itself but could imagine serving this with a Granny Smith apple or a large fancy arse pear also.

2011 Update:

Aging does very interesting things with beers. In most cases, it makes them smoother and more port or sherry-like in their characteristics and this concoction is no exception. Almost 2 years later, Old Curmudgeon has also mellowed a bit and is even more sherri-esque (?) on the palate. I divided a bottle over three nights again and thoroughly savored it, perhaps even more than the first tasting. I believe I still have 2 bottles from my original purchase in 2009 and have started looking for another occasion to celebrate .

And I still look like the guy on the label.

founders-old_curmudgeon.jpg

Working mans lunch... Had it in Albemarle, NC at a place called Z pi and loved it. It is an American brown ale from Fullsteam Brewery here in Durham, NC. I introduced one of my friends to it and he loves it as well

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Working mans lunch... Had it in Albemarle, NC at a place called Z pi and loved it. It is an American brown ale from Fullsteam Brewery here in Durham, NC. I introduced one of my friends to it and he loves it as well
    Good find. I am not sure I have had any of their beers and I live 30 miles away.