Page 1291 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 291791119112411281128912901291129212931301134113911791 ... LastLast
Results 25,801 to 25,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    You're a real Hoots, DD.

Better yet, a Joymonger.
    Tangentially related, our son (you'd like his name ), got me a bomber of this in February at a Wolf's Ridge Brewing limited release party (before lockdown) of several of their Dire Wolf variants. He'd thought I'd like the name () *and* the beer:

ce8c0677c5705f77d87ebd3ec1d503cf_640x640.jpg

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Foothills has a pretty full set of both growler-fills (32 and 64 ounce, with the glass bottle free) and packaged beer (mostly cans). Most of it is their standard stuff, but they do have an Irish red for growler fill, and a Craft Happiness juicy IPA both for growler fill and in cans. 2020 Sexual Chocolate is available in bombers, and on draft. Dead & Berried available on draft. Festival Express IPA now available in stovepipe cans. So, lots of offerings there.

Haven't checked out what exactly Wise Man is doing. Intend to get over there a couple of weeks from now.
    Thanks! That's a reasonable selection. I hope they're selling well, too.

https://g.co/kgs/jX4UBe

Alright, I didn't know that Foothills was in the cocktail/coffee scene now

https://g.co/kgs/jX4UBe

Alright, I didn't know that Foothills was in the cocktail/coffee scene now
    Yep. Great space, too. Right next door to their Fourth Street pub location.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is a solid "shelfie" NEIPA.

Can't believe I haven't had this before today. The "Enjoy By" date probably kept me away from them. I read NB gives their beer a 6 month shelf life which is absurd for IPAs, especially NEIPAs. I digress.

Best by 07/19. This one isn't quite on the end of it's shelf life.

As far as New England IPAs go, it looks the part. Mango, orange and passion fruit. Has all of the characteristics for the style, and doesn't lay flat like many seem to (for me at least). Does not have the extreme aroma and taste as the world class NEIPAs, but certainly a great choice that is readily available.

I would choose this any day over Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing. Tippy top of CAT 2, almost CAT 3 for me - but not quite.

Cheers from the lonely patio!
    This calls for a side-by-side comparison.

May go grab a 6er of Hazy Little Thing. As Amusedcupcake has dubbed the motto of COVID-19 "What else am I going to do"?
    I'm a little behind the times on this thread, but wanted to chime in on the Hazy Comparison Challenge from earlier in the week.

My entry is Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Hazy. Similar to the Sierra Nevada and New Belgium entries in the category being from relatively large but (I think) still well regarded breweries.

I liked this beer a lot. Very smooth, with more tangerine and mango flavor vs. pure citrus. A nice amount of bitterness to offset the sweetness of the fruit. Doesn't have the complexity two get into the rarefied air of Cat 3, but a solid Cat 2.

I've had Hazy Little Thing and Lil' Sumpin compares favorably to that. I guess next on my list will be the New Belgium version!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I'm a little behind the times on this thread, but wanted to chime in on the Hazy Comparison Challenge from earlier in the week.

My entry is Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Hazy. Similar to the Sierra Nevada and New Belgium entries in the category being from relatively large but (I think) still well regarded breweries.

I liked this beer a lot. Very smooth, with more tangerine and mango flavor vs. pure citrus. A nice amount of bitterness to offset the sweetness of the fruit. Doesn't have the complexity two get into the rarefied air of Cat 3, but a solid Cat 2.

I've had Hazy Little Thing and Lil' Sumpin compares favorably to that. I guess next on my list will be the New Belgium version!
    Nice comparison.

Lagunitas brews good beer, some are very good/excellent and, if I see a limited release/rare one like The Waldos' Special Ale, I'll almost always grab one (or more ) to re-edjumacate my palate. While visiting our daughter and her husband last summer, we had the chance to sip and dine at their ginormous Chicago tasting room/restaurant/brewing/distribution center before we took an unguided, but still acceptable, "catwalk" tour of their facility. I got thirsty again from all the walking after dinner and sharing a large flight with the family .

Foothills Foot Work Irish Red Ale

I did, indeed, do a curbside order from W-S's most well-known brewery today. Picked up a mini-growler of this draft offering. I have not had it, nor seen it, before today. Nice copper color. Thick off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Very malty. Rather smooth-drinking, with just the smallest bit of "bite" at the end. I like it quite a bit better than the Railhouse red ale I reviewed a couple of weeks ago. Probably hard for a red to reach Cat 3, but this one strives for it. Upper third of Cat 2. Solid.

https://vinepair.com/articles/top-10...ies-2008-2019/

Very cool animation of breweries over time.

Founders KBS Espresso Stout

Others have reviewed this one. I'll just add my acclaim. The chocolate and coffee play really, really well together. The barrel aging is actually a little understated, but still present. Easily Cat 3. A fantastic beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Founders KBS Espresso Stout

Others have reviewed this one. I'll just add my acclaim. The chocolate and coffee play really, really well together. The barrel aging is actually a little understated, but still present. Easily Cat 3. A fantastic beer.
    ^^^^

Great minds/palates and all that jazz...

KBS Espresso-Founders Brewing Company

Not. Local.

Credit-son of devildeac as part of a trading package last month
    Style-espresso bean aged version of the original KBS
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Bottled on-11.13.19 0936 6
    Stemware-that Founders snifter I chose several years ago for joining the Bottle Rev beer club sure comes in handy
    Appearance-West Texas Intermediate; smallish, cappuccino appearing head
    Olfactory stimulants-double shot of espresso
    Mouthfeel-darn near chewy
    Palate stimulants-very coffee forward, then dark chocolate, more coffee, molasses, bourbon warmth near the end
    Adjuncts-coffee, espresso bean aging, chocolate
    IBU-I really don't care with this one
    ABV-12%; took me over an hour to sip this one as it warmed 15 minutes before pouring until I savored the last drop 60+ minutes later
    Overall impression-tough to pick a winner between this and the original; espresso fans would choose this and bourbon fans the original
    Ymm, Beer rating-upper tier cat 3; world class; glad I have another bottle which will disappear at a tailgate this season or around Christmas

From the label for Tripping William: "Who says you can't start your day with a barrel-aged stout?"

Drive Through Brewgaloo: A pop-up event from 300-500 PM tomorrow at the Lincoln Theatre in downtown Raleigh. Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!

https://shoplocalraleigh.org/product...ugh-brewgaloo/

Reporting from an undisclosed location where it'll be 5 o'clock soon enough.

New Belgium Citradelic is today's TGIF selection.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Hmm, intriguing. Off hand, I can't think of an American brew that's comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    New Belgium Citradelic is today's TGIF selection.
    Haven't had one of those in a while so I had to research the style/contents/etc. That's a very tasty assortment of hops to complement the addition of tangerine peel to the brew. I compliment you on your selection. (IIRC, Jim Sumner does not drink beer but I think he'd be proud of the vocabulary. )

Rare Vos-Brewery Ommegang (Duvel Moortgaat)

Decidedly unlocal

Credit-found in the back of the fridge at our undisclosed weekend location
    Style-spiced amber ale
    Format-12 ounce glass vessel
    Freshness metrics-(shrugs)
    Glassware-pint glass
    Appearance-cloudy orange amber; big time, foamy head
    Sniffy stuff-toasted grains and orange
    Mouthfeel-mild
    Tastes-toasted wheat bread with orange marmalade; mild spices
    Adjuncts-orange peel, Grains of Paradise, coriander
    IBU-30 something?
    ABV-6.5%
    Overall impression-this one was somewhat past its prime but the adjuncts made it palatable
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid cat 2; a very good beer when fresher

Haw River Vuillbard

Worthy of the acclaim lauded by other posters.

Pretty mild for a sour.
    Poured like a cloudy cola.

Seeing that it was aged for two years, I’d be curious what it tasted like after year one.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Haw River Vuillbard

Worthy of the acclaim lauded by other posters.

Pretty mild for a sour.
    Poured like a cloudy cola.

Seeing that it was aged for two years, I’d be curious what it tasted like after year one.
    I've seen that a few times but never placed one in my shopping basket. My loss.

Haw River Bodhi Loves Chachi

Blonde sour with cherry, vanilla and cinnamon

Should I, or shouldn’t I?

Not that I would have known, the early pour was a beautiful blush rose.
    The last ounce or so turned it into a watery bloody mary visual.

Nose is definitely sour.

Taste is glorious, imo better than Vuiilbard.

Sour gives way to rich, luscious cherry accented with cinnamon and vanilla in a beautiful symphony.

Highly recommended.

Cheers! 🍻